Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Millennials Don't Go
Too Far From the Nest
Jul 25, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Millennials Don't Go Too Far From the Nest
By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up
- A new study by Census Bureau and Harvard University researchers suggests that millennials aren't straying far from home in adulthood. By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up, 80% had moved less than 100 miles away,...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Leftist Millennial Wins
Presidency in Chile
Dec 20, 2021 11:12 AM CST
Leftist Millennial Wins Presidency in Chile
Gabriel Boric, 35, is nation's youngest modern president
- Former leftist student leader Gabriel Boric will be under quick pressure from his youthful supporters to fulfill his promises to remake Chile after the millennial politician scored a historic victory in the country's presidential runoff election, per the AP . Boric spent months traversing Chile, vowing to bring a youth-led...
Ridley Scott Blames Flop on
Millennials and Their Phones
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2021 5:45 PM CST
Ridley Scott Blames Flop on Millennials and Their Phones
Director thought script, marketing strategy for Last Duel were fine
- Millennials take the fall for everything from the decline of American cheese and breakfast cereal to shifts in marriage trends . Ridley Scott thinks they’re responsible for his latest movie tanking, too. The
director stopped by Marc Maron’s garage for an episode of the WTF podcast and blamed...
This Is the Best
State for Millennials
May 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Millennials
Washington offers a warm welcome if you're between the ages of 25 and 40
- Millennials end up in headlines quite a bit , and the latest one offers some guidance on where they might be able to live their best lives. WalletHub examined this demographic— generally defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, making them between 25 and 40 in 2021—and where they'...
Here's Where Millennials Are
Flocking to Across America
Apr 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Here's Where Millennials Are Flocking to Across America
The 25-to-39 set is defecting from big cities to smaller ones
- Before the pandemic, millennials were already starting to ditch America's biggest cities, leaving New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles for opportunities in cozier urban enclaves, per CNBC . COVID hasn't changed that trend, and SmartAsset wanted to see which smaller cities draw the demographic of those ages 25 to...
Well Behind Boomers
in Amassing Wealth
Oct 9, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Millennials Lag Well Behind Boomers in Amassing Wealth
Generation controls only 4.6% of US wealth, while boomers have 53%
- Millennials are better educated than earlier generations and represent the biggest chunk of the workforce. But the financial rewards have not yet come to them. Federal Reserve data show the generation held 4.6% of the nation's wealth in the first half of the year, CNBC reports. The silent...
To Woo Millennials, 4 Cereals
Are 'Kicking It Old School'
Sep 24, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
To Woo Millennials, 4 Cereals Are 'Kicking It Old School'
Cocoa Puffs, Trix, Cookie Crisp, Golden Grahams are going back to the '80s
- If your Cocoa Puffs taste especially chocolatey lately, it's not your imagination. That's because General Mills is tapping into consumer nostalgia in an effort to woo millennials and others via an update on four of its breakfast cereals, Food Dive reports. Or is that a backdate? "Your...
10% of US Young Adults Think
Jews Caused the Holocaust
Sep 16, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
10% of US Young Adults Think Jews Caused the Holocaust
Survey results cast as 'shocking,' 'astounding'
- Nearly two-thirds of young adults in America don't know about the Holocaust, the greatest crime of the last century, which some fear could be repeated. That's according to a survey of 11,000 adults ages 18 to 39. Some 23% said they believed the Holocaust was exaggerated, a...
This May Be a Demographic
'Shock' to Boomers
Aug 3, 2020 12:06 PM CDT
This May Be a Demographic 'Shock' to Boomers
Those under age 40 now outnumber their older generations
- Sorry, boomers. Millennials and their younger siblings and children now make up a majority of the US population, per the AP . A new analysis by the Brookings Institution shows that 50.7% of US residents were under age 40, as of July 2019. Brookings' analysis of population estimates released this...
A Hospitalized Millennial
Issues a Plea
Mar 23, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
A Hospitalized Millennial Issues a Plea
Fiona Lowenstein wants others her age to stop taking the coronavirus lightly
- It's becoming clearer by the day that a widely held initial belief about the coronavirus—young people are safe— just isn't true . Or as 26-year-old Fiona Lowenstein writes in a message to her fellow millennials in the
New York Times
, "our invulnerability to this disease is a...
Millennials Are Winning
at Saving for Retirement
Jan 30, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Millennials Are Winning at Saving for Retirement
And 24% of those with savings have $100K saved already
- Among those of their generation saving for retirement, baby boomers started saving, on average, at age 33. For Generation Xers, it was age 30. For millennials? Age 24, according to a new Bank of America survey cited by
. Nearly 3 out of 4 millennials, who are between the...
Who's the Loneliest at the
Office? The Youngest Workers
Jan 23, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Who's the Loneliest at the Office? The Youngest Workers
Cigna survey finds Gen Zers, millennials feel the most distant from their co-workers
- Young people aren't feeling the love at work, and it's not because they don't get along with their bosses—they just feel lonelier in the office than older people do. The
Wall Street Journal
reports on a "Loneliness Index" released by health insurer Cigna on Thursday...
Wine Consumption Slips
as Millennials Turn Elsewhere
Jan 13, 2020 4:41 PM CST
Wine Consumption Slips as Millennials Turn Elsewhere
Baby boomers had kept sales flowing until now
- In another what-is-it-with-millennials moment, they've been found to be drinking less wine than their elders. Consumption fell last year in the US for the first time since 1994, a 0.9% drop, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. An industry researcher said baby boomers had driven the good years. "...
Heckled Politician Pulls Out
Trendy Internet Insult
Nov 7, 2019 8:47 AM CST
Heckled Politician Pulls Out Trendy Internet Insult
New Zealand's Chloe Swarbrick wielded an 'OK, boomer' against older Parliament member
- The war between the generations continues, this time Down Under. The "OK, boomer" phenomenon —an internet-driven trend in which millennials or members of Gen Z mock older folks they think are out of touch—took hold of a 25-year-old New Zealand politician Tuesday after she was heckled by...
an 'Adulting' Class
Aug 22, 2019 12:44 PM CDT
Berkeley Adds an 'Adulting' Class
Student-run course covers taxes, stress relief
- "Adulting" classes have been springing up over the years, instructing millennials how to cook, manage their time, and pay their taxes. Now, the University of California Berkeley has an offering, too. Students Belle Lau and Jenny Zhou launched the adulting class, exploring "the many dimensions of how to...
David Brooks: Republicans
Face an 'Apocalypse'
Jun 4, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
David Brooks: Republicans Face an 'Apocalypse'
'To put it bluntly, young adults hate them'
- Columnist David Brooks foresees an "apocalypse" on the way for Republicans, and it can be summed up in eight words: "To put it bluntly, young adults hate them," he writes in the
New York Times
. Brooks isn't talking specifically about the 2020 vote so much as...
a Millennial's Net Worth
May 31, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Study Estimates a Millennial's Net Worth
Average is $8K, much lower than previous generations at that age
- A study commissioned by Deloitte finds "the vast majority of consumers are under tremendous financial pressure," per Kasey M. Lobaugh, the study's lead author, who tells the
that this applies to two demographics in particular—low-income Americans and millennials. And he puts a number on...
This Is the Worst State
Apr 8, 2019 7:50 AM CDT
This Is the Worst State for Millennials
West Virginia fares the worst in WalletHub ranking
- Some states are better than others for millennials. Specifically, Massachusetts is way better than West Virginia, according to WalletHub . Those two states came in first and last, respectively, in the website's ranking of millennial life. A whole slew of factors went into the rankings, including millennial employment figures, earnings,...
Hipster Scolded Mag for Using
His Pic. It Was Another Hipster
in case you missed it
Mar 10, 2019 4:40 PM CDT
Hipster Scolded Mag for Using His Pic. It Was Another Hipster
Story that the bearded man was ranting about was about how all hipsters look alike
- A February article in the
MIT Technology Review
spotlighted recent research by Brandeis University mathematician Jonathan Touboul on "the hipster effect," specifically how "the population of hipsters initially act randomly but then undergo a phase transition into a synchronized state." That's a fancy way of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Name of MacKenzie Scott's Husband Quietly Disappears
Explosive New Book Reveals Anthony Bourdain's Final Texts
5 High School Football Players Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Trump, Kim Jong Un Might Still Be in Touch
US Embassy to Americans in Russia: Get Out Now
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.