Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the Cities Where
Millennials Are Moving
Nov 25, 2023 4:25 PM CST
These Are the Cities Where Millennials Are Moving
Massachusetts city of Cambridge tops SmartAsset's list
- About 25% of millennials uprooted last year and moved to a different city, and SmartAsset wanted to find out which cities proved the biggest draw for this demographic (those between the ages of 25 and 44, for the purposes of this analysis). The financial tech firm looked at US Census...
Every Generation Lost Wealth
Last Year—Except One
Sep 3, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Every Generation Lost Wealth Last Year—Except One
Millennials defied the odds, and their own reputation
- An annual assessment of individuals' wealth by Swiss banking giant UBS found that the US got hit harder than any other nation last year. The Global Wealth Report says the total net worth of Americans dropped by nearly $6 trillion in 2022, with 1.8 million Americans losing their status...
Kids These Days Have Very
Different Opinions on Booze
in case you missed it
Aug 20, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Kids These Days Have Very Different Opinions on Booze
More than half of millennials, Gen Z now view moderate drinking as harmful, per Gallup poll
- A greater share of Americans than ever before believes drinking in moderation is unhealthy. In a Gallup poll released Thursday, 39% of 1,015 adults across the US surveyed during the month of July say moderate drinking—consuming one to two drinks per day—is bad for one's health,...
More Younger People
Are Getting Cancer
Aug 17, 2023 12:17 PM CDT
More Younger People Are Getting Cancer
Uptick is particularly striking among women
- The good news in a new assessment of cancer cases in the US is that numbers are decreasing for those ages 50 and older. The more troubling news is that cases ticked up among people younger than 50—particularly among women and those in their 30s, reports the
Unwed Older Millennials,
You're Not Alone
Jul 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Unwed Older Millennials, You're Not Alone
Record number of 40-year-old Americans have never been married, per new Pew research
- If you've recently made it to the big 4-0 and never gone down the aisle, you're definitely not alone: About 25% of 40-year-olds in the US have yet to be married, per 2021 stats from the US Census Bureau cited by the Pew Research Center —a record...
For Oldest Millennials, This
Year's Birthday May Hurt
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 13, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
For Oldest Millennials, This Year's Birthday May Hurt
Per the 'Wall Street Journal,' 43 is the age when Americans typically stop feeling young
- The first members of the generation we know as millennials came around in 1980, which means they're turning 43 this year, notes Clare Ansberry in the
Wall Street Journal
. And that just happens to be the average age that Americans stop feeling young, according to this survey by the...
On Homeownership, It's
a Millennial Milestone
Apr 9, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
On Homeownership, It's a Millennial Milestone
For the first time, more own than rent
- It took longer than it usually does, but the millennial generation appears to have reached a milestone when it comes to their living arrangements. A new report from RentCafe finds that most millennials—52%—now own a home instead of renting, reports
. The total number of millennial homeowners—...
Did You Hate-Watch
? You Might
Mar 17, 2023 1:07 PM CDT
Did You Hate-Watch
? You Might Empathize Now
Taking a closer look at what's spurring people to revisit this show, and other old favorites
The Last of Us
has dominated the TV discourse over the past couple of months, but there's another show that has also been creeping up in chats:
, Lena Dunham's HBO "dramedy" that saw its final season end about six years ago. An HBO spokesperson tells...
Mom Still Pay Your
You're in Good Company
Feb 3, 2023 12:59 PM CST
Mom Still Pay Your Rent, Millennials? You're in Good Company
New survey finds 40% of this demographic have at least one bill paid for by parents
- If you're a 30-something whose parents are still making your car payments or slipping you some cash for your internet bill, you're definitely not alone. In fact, two-fifths of millennials—the demographic currently between the ages of 26 and 41 or so—say mom and dad are ponying...
Millennials Don't Go
Too Far From the Nest
Jul 25, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Millennials Don't Go Too Far From the Nest
By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up
- A new study by Census Bureau and Harvard University researchers suggests that millennials aren't straying far from home in adulthood. By age 26, more than two-thirds of young adults in the US lived in the same area where they grew up, 80% had moved less than 100 miles away,...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Leftist Millennial Wins
Presidency in Chile
Dec 20, 2021 11:12 AM CST
Leftist Millennial Wins Presidency in Chile
Gabriel Boric, 35, is nation's youngest modern president
- Former leftist student leader Gabriel Boric will be under quick pressure from his youthful supporters to fulfill his promises to remake Chile after the millennial politician scored a historic victory in the country's presidential runoff election, per the AP . Boric spent months traversing Chile, vowing to bring a youth-led...
Ridley Scott Blames Flop on
Millennials and Their Phones
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2021 5:45 PM CST
Ridley Scott Blames Flop on Millennials and Their Phones
Director thought script, marketing strategy for Last Duel were fine
- Millennials take the fall for everything from the decline of American cheese and breakfast cereal to shifts in marriage trends . Ridley Scott thinks they’re responsible for his latest movie tanking, too. The
director stopped by Marc Maron’s garage for an episode of the WTF podcast and blamed...
This Is the Best
State for Millennials
May 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Millennials
Washington offers a warm welcome if you're between the ages of 25 and 40
- Millennials end up in headlines quite a bit , and the latest one offers some guidance on where they might be able to live their best lives. WalletHub examined this demographic— generally defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, making them between 25 and 40 in 2021—and where they'...
Here's Where Millennials Are
Flocking to Across America
Apr 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Here's Where Millennials Are Flocking to Across America
The 25-to-39 set is defecting from big cities to smaller ones
- Before the pandemic, millennials were already starting to ditch America's biggest cities, leaving New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles for opportunities in cozier urban enclaves, per CNBC . COVID hasn't changed that trend, and SmartAsset wanted to see which smaller cities draw the demographic of those ages 25 to...
Well Behind Boomers
in Amassing Wealth
Oct 9, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Millennials Lag Well Behind Boomers in Amassing Wealth
Generation controls only 4.6% of US wealth, while boomers have 53%
- Millennials are better educated than earlier generations and represent the biggest chunk of the workforce. But the financial rewards have not yet come to them. Federal Reserve data show the generation held 4.6% of the nation's wealth in the first half of the year, CNBC reports. The silent...
To Woo Millennials, 4 Cereals
Are 'Kicking It Old School'
Sep 24, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
To Woo Millennials, 4 Cereals Are 'Kicking It Old School'
Cocoa Puffs, Trix, Cookie Crisp, Golden Grahams are going back to the '80s
- If your Cocoa Puffs taste especially chocolatey lately, it's not your imagination. That's because General Mills is tapping into consumer nostalgia in an effort to woo millennials and others via an update on four of its breakfast cereals, Food Dive reports. Or is that a backdate? "Your...
10% of US Young Adults Think
Jews Caused the Holocaust
Sep 16, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
10% of US Young Adults Think Jews Caused the Holocaust
Survey results cast as 'shocking,' 'astounding'
- Nearly two-thirds of young adults in America don't know about the Holocaust, the greatest crime of the last century, which some fear could be repeated. That's according to a survey of 11,000 adults ages 18 to 39. Some 23% said they believed the Holocaust was exaggerated, a...
This May Be a Demographic
'Shock' to Boomers
Aug 3, 2020 12:06 PM CDT
This May Be a Demographic 'Shock' to Boomers
Those under age 40 now outnumber their older generations
- Sorry, boomers. Millennials and their younger siblings and children now make up a majority of the US population, per the AP . A new analysis by the Brookings Institution shows that 50.7% of US residents were under age 40, as of July 2019. Brookings' analysis of population estimates released this...
A Hospitalized Millennial
Issues a Plea
Mar 23, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
A Hospitalized Millennial Issues a Plea
Fiona Lowenstein wants others her age to stop taking the coronavirus lightly
- It's becoming clearer by the day that a widely held initial belief about the coronavirus—young people are safe— just isn't true . Or as 26-year-old Fiona Lowenstein writes in a message to her fellow millennials in the
New York Times
, "our invulnerability to this disease is a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.