Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Mar 18, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Putin's 'Chilling' Language Raises Alarms
Russian leader's rhetoric draws comparisons to Stalin
- Vladimir Putin's military is pressing its advance on Ukraine, and Putin himself is ramping up his related rhetoric. A number of stories are parsing his language:
New York Times
analysis, Anton Troianovski digs into why Putin keeps saying he must "de-Nazify" Ukraine and keeps invoking
80 Years Later, Kandinsky
to Rightful Owners
Mar 1, 2022 2:50 AM CST
80 Years Later, Kandinsky Painting Returned to Rightful Owners
Amsterdam turns painting over to heirs of couple that lost it during WWII
- A Wassily Kandinsky painting sold by a Jewish couple as they fled the Netherlands during the World War II Nazi invasion has now been returned to the couple's heirs. The Russian artist's "Painting With Houses," a 1909 work, had been held in Amsterdam's Stedelijk Museum...
Researchers May Have
Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
A 6-year investigation suggests the culprit was a fellow Jew in Amsterdam: Arnold van den Bergh
- It's a question that has long vexed historians: Who gave up Anne Frank and her family to the Nazis? Now, a six-year investigation suggests the culprit has finally been identified. Researchers say the "most likely scenario" is that a man named Arnold van den Bergh, who was Jewish...
Fauci Fires Back at Lara
Logan Over Nazi Comparison
Dec 3, 2021 12:11 PM CST
Fauci Fires Back at Lara Logan Over Nazi Comparison
Fox Nation host compared health official to 'Angel of Death' doctor Josef Mengele
- Lara Logan has some strong feelings about Dr. Anthony Fauci, and she's now drawing flak for her comments about him. Per CNN Business , the Fox Nation host and former CBS News journalist appeared Monday on
Fox News Primetime
and went after the White House's chief medical adviser during...
Former SS Guard
Oct 7, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
100-Year-Old Former SS Guard Allegedly Helped Kill Thousands
Josef S. hides his face as trial begins in Germany
- A man about to turn 101 is the oldest defendant yet to stand trial for allegedly aiding in the murder of prisoners at a German concentration camp almost 80 years ago. The former guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin, who can only be identified as Josef S. due...
Concentration Camp Secretary,
96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Sep 30, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Concentration Camp Secretary, 96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Irmgard Furchner was detained hours later
- Some 76 years after the end of World War II, an alleged Nazi war criminal made one last effort to escape justice Thursday. A warrant was issued for the arrest of 96-year-old Irmgard Furchner and she was declared a fugitive after she failed to appear at her trial for aiding...
Seized by the Nazis, It Could
Now Break Auction Records
Aug 30, 2021 4:15 AM CDT
Seized by the Nazis, It Could Now Break Auction Records
Meissen porcelain collection goes up for auction next month
- A collection of Meissen porcelain once seized by Nazis for Adolf Hitler himself is going up for auction next month. The Jewish owners of the 18th-century pieces, German lawyer Franz Oppenheimer and his Austrian wife Margarethe, fled Germany for Austria in 1936, then escaped to Budapest a little over a...
Scientists Work to Tie
Uranium Cubes to Nazis
Aug 25, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Scientists Work to Tie Uranium Cubes to Nazis
Hundreds were lost in the years following WWII
- At the close of World War II, some 664 "Heisenberg cubes" belonging to the Nazis were dug up from a field near physicist Werner Heisenberg's secret subterranean lab and brought to the US. Kurt Diebner was at the same time also running a lab focused on trying to...
Centenarian to Face Trial for
Nazi Death Camp Crimes
Aug 2, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Centenarian to Face Trial for Nazi Death Camp Crimes
100-year-old man was said to have been a guard at Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin
- There aren't many living Nazi war crimes suspects still wandering the Earth, but one more is about to face a reckoning. As Reuters reports, a 100-year-old man will go to trial in October, about 75 years after he's accused of having been a guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration...
Chairman of the
Jul 15, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Feared a Trump Coup
Gen. Mark Milley thought Trump was adopting 'gospel of the Führer': book
- America's top general was so worried President Trump would refuse to give up the presidency that he asked confidants if a coup was imminent. So Pulitzer Prize winners Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker of the
I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic
Palace Where Enigma Codes
Were Cracked to Return to Life
Jul 7, 2021 12:38 PM CDT
Palace Where Enigma Codes Were Cracked to Return to Life
The Nazis destroyed the Saski Palace in 1944
- Poland is reviving plans to reconstruct a historic Warsaw palace where the German Enigma machine codes were first cracked in 1932 and that Nazi German occupying forces blew up in 1944. In a ceremony Wednesday at the site where the Saski Palace stood, President Andrzej Duda handed a law drafted...
Has a New
Jul 7, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Has a New Controversy
Rep's newest Nazi-themed comment: She doesn't want 'medical brown shirts' pushing vaccines
- It looks like Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't done comparing public health initiatives on COVID to Nazi-era Germany. Just last month, the Republican congresswoman from Georgia said she was "truly sorry" after posting tweets comparing mask and vaccine mandates to the Holocaust, even making a much-publicized visit to the...
French Heir Turns Over
Stolen Art to US Museum
Jun 2, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
French Heir Turns Over Stolen Art to US Museum
Pissarro painting was stolen by Nazis in 1941
- The University of Oklahoma never disputed the fact that a Pissarro painting it's displayed since 2000 was stolen from a Jewish family in France by Nazis during World War II. But when Léone Meyer tracked down
Shepherdess Bringing in Sheep
in 2012, the university wouldn't give the...
Researchers Use Film
to ID Toddlers Taken
May 23, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
Researchers Use Film to ID Toddlers Taken to Bergen-Belsen
All 3 who were IDed survived WWII
- The footage has appeared in countless documentaries: scenes filmed in 1944 at the Nazi transit camp Westerbork, where Dutch Jews were transported to death camps in Germany and occupied Poland. Now, two children who appear through the window of a train bound for Bergen-Belsen for less than three seconds have...
A Nazi-Era Wrong Is
About to Be Righted
Mar 16, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
A Nazi-Era Wrong Is About to Be Righted
France is returning Klimt painting to family that originally owned it
- Nora Stiasny, an Austrian Jew, inherited Gustav Klimt's
Rosiers sous les Arbres
from her uncle, but was forced by the Nazis to sell it in 1938 for vastly less than what it was worth. She was ultimately deported to a concentration camp in Poland, where she died in 1942....
After 60-Plus Years in US,
Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Feb 20, 2021 9:00 AM CST
After 60-Plus Years in US, Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, deported for working at 'atrocious' Neuengamme subcamp in Germany
- Authorities in the US deported a 95-year-old man Friday who acknowledged working as a guard in a Nazi concentration camp. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a statement that Friedrich Karl Berger, a German citizen, was sent back to Germany this month for serving as a guard for...
Former Nazi Guard, 100,
Charged as Accessory to Murder
Feb 10, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Former Nazi Guard, 100, Charged as Accessory to Murder
Unnamed man hit with more than 3.5K counts
- German prosecutors have charged a 100-year-old man with 3,518 counts of being an accessory to murder on allegations he served during World War II as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin, authorities said Tuesday. The man is alleged to have worked at...
Pastor Finds 500-Year-Old
Church Bell Taken by Nazis
Dec 29, 2020 4:06 PM CST
Pastor Finds 500-Year-Old Church Bell Taken by Nazis
BBC reports it will be returned to its former home in Poland
- A 500-year-old church bell will be returned to its former home in Poland some 77 years after it was stolen by the Nazis. Nazis made off with an estimated 80,000 bells, most of which were melted down for their metal and used to make weapons and ammunition during World...
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves
Went After the Same Thing
Nov 13, 2020 9:20 AM CST
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves Went After the Same Thing
A fortune's worth of Nazi uniforms stolen in Europe since March
- Thieves set up a roadblock of tires, parked a fake police car beside it, then smashed down the door of the Eyewitness War Museum in the Netherlands, from which they took $1.5 million in World War II memorabilia in just five minutes, per the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
19 Elementary School Students, 3 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.