Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Isn't Who You
Think She Is
Jan 27, 2023 11:38 AM CST
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
'LAT' op-ed says new memoir, documentary show a survivor who doesn't dwell on the past
- Prince Harry's memoir has been all the rage this month, but another one is about to drop that's already stealing away some of those headlines.
, penned by
star Pamela Anderson, is set for release on Tuesday, as is
Pamela: A Love Story
, a complementary documentary...
A GOP Veteran
Has to Go
Jan 19, 2023 11:47 AM CST
A GOP Veteran of Congress Says Santos Has to Go
Former Rep. Peter King says the serial fabricator cannot possibly be effective in the House
- Lots of people think George Santos ought to resign from Congress because of the seemingly unending series of deceptions attributed to him (the latest involves a dying dog ). One person who might have better perspective than most is Peter King, who served in Congress for nearly three decades and...
Teachers, Stop Trying
to Fight the Chatbot
Jan 13, 2023 12:58 PM CST
Teachers, Stop Trying to Fight the Chatbot
Tech columnist Kevin Roose suggests they help students use them properly instead
- Late last year, the artificial intelligence tool ChatGPT arrived on the scene in a big way. Ever since, many US educators have been in a "panic," writes tech columnist Kevin Roose in the
New York Times
. The tool is so good (mostly) that it's become difficult to...
Grant Wahl's Widow: I Can't
Ignore the Trolls Anymore
Jan 9, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Grant Wahl's Widow: I Can't Ignore the Trolls Anymore
Celine Gounder, a doctor, says vaccine disinformation is too dangerous
- Celine Gounder is an infectious-disease physician and epidemiologist, and she also happens to be the widow of renowned soccer writer Grant Wahl . After her husband died while covering the World Cup, the anti-vaccine brigade concluded that his COVID vaccine must have been the reason. (It wasn't—Wahl died of...
SBF May Have Ruined
the Disheveled CEO Look
Dec 15, 2022 1:23 PM CST
SBF May Have Ruined the Disheveled CEO Look
It now sends a disturbing message, writes 'NYT' fashion critic Vanessa Friedman
- The financial misdeeds of fallen crypto wunderkind Sam Bankman-Fried are being dissected everywhere. In the
New York Times
, fashion critic Vanessa Friedman explores an entirely different angle to the story, suggesting that SBF's demise might also spell the demise, finally, of the "schlubby" fashion style of tech CEOs....
Trevor Noah Is Leaving.
Late Night Is 'as White' as Ever
Dec 8, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Trevor Noah Is Leaving. Late Night Is 'as White' as Ever
Diverse guests added to 'sly radicalism' of 'The Daily Show' under his tenure: Adrian Horton
- After more than seven years as host, Trevor Noah's final episode of
The Daily Show
airs Thursday. The South African comedian previously described his exit as "a joyous thing," noting the pandemic gave him a chance to consider what he'd "like to do differently,"...
Mistake on Biden
Dec 1, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Gingrich: Republicans Making Big Mistake on Biden
He warns that the GOP keeps underestimating the president, and losing as a result
- Newt Gingrich has drawn one clear lesson for Republicans from the midterms: They "must learn to quit underestimating President Joe Biden." The former House speaker notes in an op-ed at Gingrich 360 that Republicans have a lot of fun depicting the 80-year-old as a doddering old man. "...
A Theory to Explain
Modern Politics: 'Calcification'
Nov 14, 2022 11:48 AM CST
A Theory to Explain Modern Politics: 'Calcification'
Ezra Klein digs into the phenomenon
- These days, it seems that Democrats will vote for Democrats, and Republicans will vote for Republicans, no matter what happens during the election cycle. This "calcification" of American politics is explored in a
New York Times
essay by Ezra Klein, who draws from the work of political scientists John...
Billionaires: You're Not as
Genius as We Think You Are
Nov 14, 2022 9:00 AM CST
Billionaires: You're Not as Genius as We Think You Are
Fall of FTX's Sam Bankman-Fried anchors 'WaPo' op-ed on rich-person idolization
- Up until recent weeks, Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of the cryptocurrency exchange FTX, was a media darling, appearing on the cover of
magazine and interviewed for his thoughts on everything from the crypto landscape in general to "how to save humanity from extinction." Now, with the collapse of...
Elon Musk Is Wildly Successful.
That Won't Help Him at Twitter
Nov 8, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Elon Musk Is Wildly Successful. That Won't Help Him at Twitter
He's facing a human problem, not an engineering one
- Elon Musk has been at the helm of Twitter for less than two weeks, and at the
, Charlie Warzel writes that he's bungling it, badly. Warzel zeroes in on freewheeling tweets, advertisers running for the exits, and a train-wreck layoff process as proof that what "casual observers"...
Won't Get the
Oct 25, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Hobby Lobby Founder's Heirs Won't Get the Company
Wealth is a 'curse,' David Green says of decision to move control to trust
- Hobby Lobby founder and CEO David Green says he chose to give away ownership of the company, as described in his 2017 book , to avoid the "curse" of "wealth" that "can really wreck a family." "From the very beginning, our purpose was to honor God...
Oct 21, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Dems Had the Momentum. It's Seemingly Vanished
David Brooks takes a pre-midterms look at why
- Over the summer, Democrats seemed poised to ride a wave of momentum into the midterms, thanks to falling gas prices, a public outcry on gun safety after the mass shooting in Uvalde, and the overturning of Roe v. Wade. But "the momentum didn't survive the fall," writes...
Stakes Are Huge as US
Oct 13, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Stakes Are Huge as US Battles Russia
Thomas Friedman raises concerns about these 'uncharted waters'
- The US is currently in conflict with Russia, and the confrontation is an obvious one playing out on the battlefields of Ukraine with American weapons. But Thomas Friedman writes in the
New York Times
that the US is simultaneously in a less obvious conflict with China—though the stakes are...
Modern Dating Is Awful,
and It's Time to Fix It
Sep 29, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Modern Dating Is Awful, and It's Time to Fix It
Essay in 'New York Times' suggests going retro in 3 fundamental ways
- The advent of online dating should in theory have made it so much easier for people to find partners. Then why are so many suffering from what Michal Leibowitz calls "dating app burnout" in a
New York Times
essay? By that, she means countless "dead-end interactions" despite an...
What Did NPR Reporter's
Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Sep 25, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
What Did NPR Reporter's Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Politico essay examines journalist Nina Totenberg's longtime relationship with Supreme Court justice
- Nina Totenberg, a longtime correspondent for NPR, has a new memoir out, and it delves into her storied 40-year relationship with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Dinners With Ruth
examines Totenberg's conflict as she watched her old friend's health decline in 2020, and on the complexities of being...
Don't Ignore the Suffering
in America's Prisons
Sep 11, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Ignore the Suffering in America's Prisons
Writing for 'Philly Inquirer,' Cheryl Smith slams 'soul-chilling inhumanity' toward incarcerated
- The Eighth and 14th Amendments are meant to prevent cruel and unusual punishment, as well as discrimination and unequal treatment—including for the incarcerated. But that's not what's being applied in America's prisons, Cheryl Smith writes for the
, where she lays out the "soul-chilling...
Ashley Judd: Naomi's Suffering
Shouldn't Be Public Spectacle
Sep 1, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Ashley Judd: Naomi's Suffering Shouldn't Be Public Spectacle
In 'NYT' essay, she argues that police records about her mom's death shouldn't be unsealed
- The family of Naomi Judd wants the police records about her suicide kept sealed , and daughter Ashley Judd lays out the reasons why in a poignant
New York Times
essay. She writes that memories of discovering Naomi in her final moments "haunts my nights," while fears that the...
Yes, a GOP
Aug 30, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Gingrich: Yes, a GOP Wave Is Coming
Ex-House speaker says left-leaning media is either misunderstanding the facts or distorting them
- There's a growing sentiment in the media that the GOP will struggle in the upcoming November midterms, writes former Republican House speaker Newt Gingrich. But in his op-ed at Fox News , Gingrich asserts that the "legacy, left-wing media is at best misunderstanding—and at worst deliberately distorting—the...
May Not Have
Had a 'Choice'
on Drug Abuse
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 20, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Anne Heche May Not Have Had a 'Choice' on Drug Abuse
Writing for NBC, Elizabeth Grey slams lack of compassion for those suffering from addiction
- On Sunday, Anne Heche's death was confirmed after the actor was taken off life support , just days after the 53-year-old's fiery car crash in Los Angeles. "I wonder whether it’s enough to satisfy those who have been calling for her head," Elizabeth Grey writes in...
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,'
Look to Little Leaguers
Aug 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,' Look to Little Leaguers
Jason Gay of 'WSJ' reflects on viral moment
- The moment went viral earlier this month, so there's a decent chance you've seen video of the Little League batter comforting the distraught pitcher who inadvertently hit him in the head with a pitch. If you haven't, or even if you have, Jason Gay of the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.