Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Sisters Slain in
Suspected Honor Killing
May 24, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
2 Sisters Slain in Suspected Honor Killing
So far, 6 men, including relatives, have been arrested
- The topic of honor killing is again in the headlines, and this time it's killings—plural. Police in Pakistan have arrested six men and charged them with murdering two sisters in their 20s, reports the
. Based on accounts in the AP and
, authorities laid out the...
Pakistan Suffers Through
a 'Spring-Less Year'
May 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Pakistan Suffers Through a 'Spring-Less Year'
India is grappling with extreme heat months ahead of usual as well
- "Last week was insanely hot in Turbat. It did not feel like April," a Pakistani man tells the
. If you think "insanely hot" must mean around 100, guess again. The temps in the region were closer to 120 degrees, and it's not even May—the...
The Heat in India
Is Becoming Unbearable
Apr 28, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
The Heat in India Is Becoming Unbearable
Relief from record-breaking heat wave could still be weeks away
- A record-breaking heat wave in India and Pakistan is affecting more than a billion people— and the worst is still to come. Reuters reports that the extreme heat making life almost unbearable across a wide swath of the subcontinent this week follows the hottest March since the India Meteorological Department...
Pakistan's Leader Voted Out
Apr 9, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Pakistan's Leader Voted Out
Prime Minister Imran Khan loses key support before no-confidence vote
- Pakistan's political opposition ousted the country's embattled prime minister in a no-confidence vote early Sunday, which they won after several of Imran Khan's allies and a key coalition party deserted him. The combined opposition that spans the political spectrum from the left to the radically religious will...
Blaming US, Khan Dissolves
Parliament and Stays in Office
Apr 3, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Blaming US, Khan Dissolves Parliament and Stays in Office
Prime minister's maneuvers shock opposition and push Pakistan into crisis
- Prime Minister Imran Khan dissolved Pakistan's parliament on Sunday, staying in office by preventing a no-confidence vote from taking place. The nation reached a crisis point, as shocked opposition lawmakers said that they would challenge Khan's actions at the Supreme Court, calling them violations of the Constitution. The...
Pakistani Leader's Threat:
'No One Will Marry' Your Kids
Mar 22, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Pakistani Leader's Threat: 'No One Will Marry' Your Kids
Prime Minister Imran Khan goes after his rivals ahead of no-confidence vote
- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan is fighting for his political life, one that could come to an end as early as Monday with a no-confidence vote in Parliament. The former cricket star, however, is trying to convince his political critics—particularly members of his own party—that a vote against...
India Accidentally Fired
a Missile at Pakistan
Mar 11, 2022 12:08 PM CST
India Accidentally Fired a Missile at Pakistan
Says 'technical malfunction' caused missile firing into Punjab province
- Tensions between India and Pakistan haven't been too bad over the past few months, but a missile that landed this week in the eastern part of the latter country may have just raised ire again. Per Reuters , India acknowledges the missile originated within its borders, but a statement from...
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt
in Mosque Bombing
Mar 4, 2022 11:38 AM CST
Dozens Killed, 200 Hurt in Mosque Bombing
'Dust and bodies everywhere' as people gathered for prayers in Peshawar, Pakistan
- A suicide bomber struck inside a Shiite Muslim mosque in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar during Friday prayers, killing at least 56 worshippers and wounding about 200 others, hospital officials said. No militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. Both the Islamic State group and the Pakistani Taliban—...
Son of One of
Families to Be
Put to Death
Feb 25, 2022 8:03 AM CST
Son of One of Pakistan's Richest Families to Be Put to Death
Zahir Jaffer sentenced to hang for brutal murder of Noor Mukadam
- The son of one of Pakistan's wealthiest families has been sentenced to death for raping and beheading a childhood friend who reportedly refused his offer of marriage. Pakistani-American Zahir Jaffer, who hails from a well-known industrialist family, held 27-year-old Noor Mukadam in his family home in a swanky part...
Man Who Murdered
Own Sister Freed
on Parents' Pardon
Feb 16, 2022 2:17 AM CST
Man Who Murdered Own Sister Freed on Parents' Pardon
Model Qandeel Baloch fell victim to 'honor killing'
The parents of the Pakistani man who fatally strangled his own sister in a 2016 "honor killing" have pardoned the man. Muhammed Waseem confessed to the slaying and was convicted of murder, but a court ruled Monday he can be freed due to his parents' pardon,
He Was Accused of Blasphemy.
Then the Mob Descended
Feb 14, 2022 12:51 PM CST
He Was Accused of Blasphemy. Then the Mob Descended
Dozens arrested after man stoned to death for allegedly burning Koran in Pakistan
- Dozens of men have been arrested in Pakistan's Punjab province after a man accused of blasphemy was stoned to death there over the weekend by an enraged mob. The BBC reports the lynching took place on Saturday evening in Tulamba, located in the district of Khanewal. Police spokesman Munawar...
22 Die in Their Cars After
Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Jan 8, 2022 5:30 AM CST
22 Die in Their Cars After Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Thousands of vehicles were stuck after winter storm in Murree, Pakistan
- Temperatures fell to 17.6 degrees Fahrenheit amid heavy snowfall in Pakistan's mountain resort town of Murree overnight, killing at least 22 people who were stuck in their vehicles, officials said Saturday. Atiq Ahmed, an Islamabad police officer, said eight of the 22 fatalities were from the family of...
Sewer Blast Kills 10,
Injures More Than a Dozen
Dec 18, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Sewer Blast Kills 10, Injures More Than a Dozen
Officials still aren't sure what ignited gas that caused explosion in Karachi, Pakistan
- A powerful gas explosion in a sewage system in a southern Pakistan city killed at least 10 people and injured 13 others Saturday, police and a health official said. Police spokesman Sohail Jokhio said the blast was apparently caused when something ignited gas that had accumulated in the sewer beneath...
Oct 28, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
They Cheered Against India, Now Face Sedition Charges
At least 7 arrested in India for cyberterrorism after celebrating Pakistan's cricket win
- If you're in India, you'd better cheer for India. That's the message from authorities in Uttar Pradesh, where police have arrested at least seven people for allegedly celebrating Pakistan's victory over India in Sunday's T20 World Cup cricket match in Dubai. All seven face charges...
Oct 10, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Scientist Made Nuclear Power of Pakistan— and Others
US confronted president with evidence of Abdul Qadeer Khan's double-dealing
- Abdul Qadeer Khan, the scientist most responsible for making Pakistan a nuclear power who became a rogue dealer of nuclear technology and equipment, has died. He was 85. Doctors said Khan had COVID-19 and died of breathing difficulties, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Pakistan held a state funeral for him...
Taliban Tells US
There'll Be No Help With IS
Oct 9, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Taliban Tells US There'll Be No Help With IS
That's how this weekend's negotiations begin
- The Taliban on Saturday ruled out cooperation with the US to contain extremist groups in Afghanistan, staking out an uncompromising position on a key issue ahead of the first direct talks between the former foes since America withdrew from the country in August. Senior Taliban officials and US representatives are...
At Least 20 Dead
After Quake Collapses
Homes, Coal Mine
Oct 7, 2021 4:13 AM CDT
At Least 20 Dead After Quake Collapses Homes, Coal Mine
Authorities in Pakistan fear toll will rise sharply
- A powerful earthquake collapsed at least one coal mine and dozens of mud houses in southwest Pakistan early Thursday, killing at least 20 people and injuring more than 200, an official said. The death toll was expected to rise even further as crews searched in the remote mountainous area, said...
Women's National Soccer
Team Flees Afghanistan
Sep 15, 2021 7:56 AM CDT
Women's National Soccer Team Flees Afghanistan
Players, family members cross into Pakistan after 'commitment' from Americans
- Afghanistan's national women's soccer team has joined the throngs of people, especially women, fleeing the country since the Taliban's takeover. The team reached neighboring Pakistan via a major border crossing in the city of Torkham and were received by a representative of the Pakistan Football Federation, Information...
Group 'More Extreme' Than
the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Aug 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Group 'More Extreme' Than the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Here's what we know about ISIS-K
- The group claiming responsibility for Thursday's bombings near Kabul's airport, which killed 13 US service members and at least 95 Afghans, is the Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K. This is the affiliate of the Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan. What we know:
How it formed:
8-Year-Old Boy Faces
Aug 9, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
8-Year-Old Boy Faces Blasphemy Charges
Hindu child and his family are now in hiding in Pakistan
- Blasphemy charges are not unusual in Pakistan, but the age of the latest suspect most definitely is: Authorities have charged an 8-year-old boy, who is currently in protective custody, reports Euro News . The boy is Hindu, and he is accused of urinating in the library of a Muslim temple where...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.