Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Taylor Swift's Reign Continues: She's Time's Person of the Year
Stories 1 - 20 |
Former US Open
Sep 19, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Former US Open Champ Undergoes Brain Surgery
Gary Woodland 'on the road to recovery' after procedure to remove tumor
- Less than three weeks after announcing he'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor, US golfer Gary Woodland underwent surgery to remove it Monday. "After a long surgery the majority of the tumor has been removed," read a statement shared on the 39-year-old golfer's social media accounts,...
Shannen Doherty on Cancer:
'My Fear Is Obvious'
Jun 7, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Shannen Doherty on Cancer: 'My Fear Is Obvious'
Actor shares footage of her undergoing brain radiation as cancer is found to have spread
- Shannen Doherty's cancer has spread to her brain. The actor, diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in 2020, provided an update on her health Tuesday, sharing a video of her undergoing radiation therapy to treat brain metastases, also known as metastatic brain tumors. "This is what cancer can...
When a Brain Cancer Doctor
Has His Own Tumor Removed
Jul 31, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
When a Brain Cancer Doctor Has His Own Tumor Removed
Dr. Evan Noch shares his experience in a HuffPost essay
- When Evan Noch woke from brain surgery and was administered an IV steroid dose, he immediately vomited four times. It surprised him. He had never heard of anyone vomiting after receiving dexamethasone intravenously, "despite this apparently well-known idiosyncratic effect." And he would know. Noch—that's Dr. Noch—...
New Strategy Found
for Deadly Childhood Cancer
Apr 18, 2021 9:31 AM CDT
New Strategy Found for Deadly Childhood Cancer
Doctors inject brain tumors with a virus to stimulate an immune system response
- For decades, a deadly type of childhood cancer has eluded science’s best tools. Now doctors have made progress with an unusual treatment: Dripping millions of copies of a virus directly into kids’ brains to infect their tumors and spur an immune system attack, per the AP . A dozen children...
As Docs Operated on Her
Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Jun 10, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
As Docs Operated on Her Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Woman prepares classic Italian snack in under an hour while surgeons removed brain tumor
- Playing instruments while your brain is getting operated on is so last decade . Ask "Donna," who recently whipped up a traditional Italian snack while surgeons were removing a tumor from her left temporal lobe. The BBC and ABC News report that the 2.5-hour procedure took place recently...
Her Skull Was Open.
Still, She Played
Feb 20, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Her Skull Was Open. Still, She Played
Dagmar Turner hopes to return to her orchestra after removal of brain tumor
- An orchestra violinist should be able to play under almost any circumstance. In the middle of brain surgery isn't one of them. But Dagmar Turner has managed that feat. The 53-year-old was diagnosed with a slow-growing brain tumor in 2013 after suffering a seizure while playing with the Isle...
Taylor Swift's Mom
Has a Brain Tumor
Jan 21, 2020 6:05 PM CST
Taylor Swift's Mom Has a Brain Tumor
Swift makes the revelation in new interview with 'Variety'
- Taylor Swift's mother was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, and relapsed last year . In a new interview with
, Swift reveals another piece of bad news: While mom Andrea was in treatment for her most recent bout with the disease, "they found a brain tumor. And the symptoms...
'It Must Have Been Love'
Singer Dead at 61
Dec 10, 2019 9:40 AM CST
'It Must Have Been Love' Singer Dead at 61
Marie Fredriksson had battled brain tumor since 2002
- One half of the Swedish duo that brought us the hit songs " Listen To Your Heart ," " Joyride ," and " It Must Have Been Love " has died. Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson passed away Monday at age 61 after what management described as "a 17-year-long battle...
They Stole a
Then Found Out
What It Was
Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
They Stole a Porch Package, Then Found Out What It Was
Thieves apologize, return replica belt meant for sick 5-year-old with brain tumor, autism
- Thieves swiped a wrestling belt replica that belonged to a sick 5-year-old Delaware boy—but this story has a somewhat happy ending. Timothy Vick Sr. tells WBOC that little Timmy Vick was diagnosed with autism when he was just a toddler, but then, another development in October: Timmy had a...
Wife of NFL QB
Had Lucky Break
During Brain Surgery
Apr 22, 2019 8:25 AM CDT
Wife of NFL QB Had Lucky Break During Brain Surgery
It relates to an 'abnormal vein'
- An "abnormal vein" threw a kink into Kelly Stafford's brain surgery Wednesday, stretching the procedure from an expected six hours to 12, but thanks to a neurosurgeon, the wife of Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is now in recovery mode, per the
Detroit Free Press
. "Now I...
Guitar During His
Brain Surgery to
Help Out Doctors
Dec 22, 2018 9:00 AM CST
Musician Plays Guitar During His Brain Surgery to Help Out Doctors
Musa Manzini was able to give medical team 'real-time feedback' during 'awake craniotomy'
- His skull still open, a South African musician with a brain tumor played several notes on his guitar during an operation to remove most of the growth. Musa Manzini's guitar-playing helped guide the medical team in their delicate task while preserving neural pathways, says neurosurgeon Dr. Rohen Harrichandparsad. Manzini...
Prognosis Was Dire.
Then, the Tumor
Dec 19, 2018 9:07 AM CST
Their Daughter's Prognosis Was Dire. Then, the Tumor Just Vanished
An 'extraordinarily rare' turn of events for 11-year-old Roxli Doss
- A Texas girl's parents were told she had an inoperable brain tumor, and the odds looked bad—a survival rate beyond five years of less than 1%. Consider Roxli Doss an odds-beater. In what the 11-year-old's doctor tells CBS News and HuffPost is an "unbelievable" and "...
After More Than
10 Years, Samsung
Workers Get an Apology
Nov 23, 2018 11:15 AM CST
After More Than 10 Years, Samsung Workers Get an Apology
And compensation as company says sorry for employee illnesses, deaths
- Samsung Electronics apologized Friday for illnesses and deaths of some of its workers, saying it failed to create a safe working environment at its computer chip and display factories. The announcement by the South Korean tech giant came weeks after the company and a group representing ailing Samsung workers agreed...
Weeks After Girl's Brain Tumor
Diagnosis, Unimaginable News
Jul 2, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
Weeks After Girl's Brain Tumor Diagnosis, Unimaginable News
6-year-old Kalea Avery's 4-year-old brother, Noah, has the same brain cancer she has
- In what CBS Los Angeles calls a "medical mystery," a California case has stunned both doctors and the parents of two young siblings. Duncan and Nohea Avery's 6-year-old daughter, Kalea, threw up around Memorial Day, then started complaining of headaches. A devastating diagnosis came on June 7:...
Mom Who Gave Up Cancer
Treatment to Save Baby Dies
Sep 9, 2017 3:06 PM CDT
Mom Who Gave Up Cancer Treatment to Save Baby Dies
Newborn Life Lynn DeKlyen is 'going to be fine,' Carrie DeKlyen's husband says
- Life Lynn DeKlyen was born Wednesday in Ann Arbor's University Hospital, and her first name is a poignant reminder of the sacrifice her mom made to bring her into this world. Carrie DeKlyen, a mom of five from Wyoming, Mich., died Saturday, two days after doctors took her off...
With Brain Tumor
as Mom Fought
Jul 3, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Menounos Hit With Brain Tumor as Mom Fought Brain Cancer
'E! News' anchor stepping down to recover from surgery; mom's cancer now 'stable'
anchor Maria Menounos is stepping away from her job at the network as she takes time to undergo treatment for a recently discovered brain tumor,
reports. Menounos, who had been with
since 2014, tells
she started feeling lightheaded, experiencing headaches, and slurring her speech...
Feb 18, 2017 2:45 PM CST
Woman's Abrupt Hyper-Religiosity Has Medical Cause
Patient already believed in God, so it wasn't a 'case of religious conversion'
- Her friends and family felt something was wrong: The Spanish woman went from simply believing in God to believing she was seeing and talking with the Virgin Mary. And that's not all. The 60-year-old abruptly shifted from being happy and positive to sad and withdrawn, reports Live Science . Suspecting...
What Rare Brain Cancer Expert
Did When His Own Son Got It
Dec 7, 2016 2:20 PM CST
What Rare Brain Cancer Expert Did When His Own Son Got It
'The chances of beating it were so small ... and yet, you try': Dr. Sam Gambhir on usually fatal disease
- As the chair of Stanford University's Department of Radiology, Sam Gambhir had studied a specific type of brain tumor called a glioblastoma multiforme. So it was a shock when his own 14-year-old son, Milan, was found to have one—a "brutal" coincidence, per the Stanford Medicine
Father Credits Facebook for
Helping Discover Brain Tumor
Sep 30, 2016 9:22 AM CDT
Father Credits Facebook for Helping Discover Brain Tumor
He insisted on brain scan after reading posts describing similar symptoms
- Welsh father of two Tom Walker considers himself "extremely lucky" that he happened to stumble upon two stories of Facebook friends with symptoms strikingly similar to his own. His doctor had chalked up his spotty vision and dizziness to vertigo, but it turns out he had a more than...
Woman Dies of Cancer
Day Before Her Wedding
Sep 17, 2016 11:49 AM CDT
Woman Dies of Cancer Day Before Her Wedding
Anna Swabey was given three years to live, then she met the one
- A 25-year-old woman diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor in January 2015 died Friday, one day before her wedding,
reports. A month after being given three years to live, Swabey joined Tinder, where she met Andy Bell. She told
she disclosed she was going to die to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Magazine Devotes Issue to Trump 'Danger' Warnings
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.