Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Smelling Your Dog's Poop
Could Net You Big Bucks
Feb 25, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Smelling Your Dog's Poop Could Net You Big Bucks
Plant-based dog food firm Omni is offering more than $6K for someone to do just that for 2 months
- One lucky dog owner will soon have the chance to earn an easy $6,700, though "lucky" and "easy" may not be entirely accurate. UPI reports on a unique job plopportunity, courtesy of plant-based dog food manufacturer Omni, in which the selected human will be paid that chunk...
Pet Owners Having
'Nightmare' of a Time
Finding Right Food
Dec 22, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Pet Owners Having 'Nightmare' of a Time Finding Right Food
Candy canes are also in short supply
- Supply chain issues are causing major headaches for pet owners as well as holiday shoppers. In a problem exacerbated by the rise in pet ownership during the pandemic, cat and dog owners say they are having a lot of problems locating their pet's preferred brand, the
Wall Street Journal
Hundreds of Cats in UK
Die From Mystery Illness
Aug 6, 2021 3:37 AM CDT
Hundreds of Cats in UK Die From Mystery Illness
Toxic pet food could be the cause
- Authorities in Britain are looking into whether toxic cat food could be the cause of a huge surge in a rare cat iillness. The Royal Veterinary College says at least 528 cases of the blood condition feline pancytopenia have been reported to it in recent months, and around 330 of...
Pets Eat a Staggering Amount
of Meat. Now, a New Wrinkle
Apr 24, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Pets Eat a Staggering Amount of Meat. Now, a New Wrinkle
2 startups working on growing meat in a lab, reducing the need for farm slaughter
- The push to find alternatives to the traditional production of meat isn't confined to humans.
has an amazing stat to illustrate the issue: "If cats and dogs made up their own country, they would rank fifth in terms of meat consumption." The need to produce...
Pet Foods Recalled After
Deaths of 28 Dogs
Dec 31, 2020 1:35 PM CST
Pet Foods Recalled After Deaths of 28 Dogs
Tests find toxin in some Sportmix lots
- Federal regulators are warning pet owners that some pet foods sold under the Sportmix label "may contain potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin." At least 28 dogs died after eating dog food that was found to have high levels of the toxin, NBC reports. Another eight became ill. Midwest...
Companies Fined $7M for
Faking Pet Food Ingredients
Oct 12, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Companies Fined $7M for Faking Pet Food Ingredients
They sent feathers instead of chicken
- A federal judge in St. Louis has ordered two companies to pay a combined $7 million for shipping ingredients containing poultry feathers and other misbranded items to pet food manufacturers. Wilbur-Ellis Feed pleaded guilty in April. Diversified Ingredients Inc. pleaded guilty in July. Both were sentenced Thursday. Federal authorities say...
Euthanasia Drug Found in
Dog Food, 4 Brands Recalled
Feb 16, 2018 10:16 AM CST
Euthanasia Drug Found in Dog Food, 4 Brands Recalled
Gravy Train, 3 other brands owned by JM Smucker recalled after pentobarbital discovered
- Four brands of dog food under the JM Smucker Co. umbrella have been recalled after a DC TV station tested one of the brands and found traces of a euthanizing drug used on dogs, cats, and horses in 60% of the samples. The AP reports that shipments of cans of...
Feb 8, 2017 5:03 AM CST
Euthanasia Chemical Found in Dog Food
Evanger's recalls Hunk of Beef Au Jus product
- Pet food maker Evanger's is recalling some of its dog food because it may contain a chemical used in the euthanization of animals, as well as in lethal injection. The chemical, pentobarbital , can cause dizziness, nausea, and death, and was detected in a single lot of Evanger's Hunk...
to Your Pet
Nov 23, 2014 1:50 PM CST
Never Give These Foods to Your Pet
Grapes, avocados, cookies are dangerous for dogs, cats
- You may have heard that you shouldn't give chocolate to your dog—but how about grapes? Or sugar-free gum? Alternet lists eight foods that humans may consume, but pets definitely shouldn't:
like gum, which contain xylitol. The sugar alcohol is extracted from fruits and vegetables to
Dog, Cat Food
for 30 Days
Jul 6, 2014 5:00 PM CDT
Woman Eating Dog, Cat Food for 30 Days
Dorothy Hunter says it's just that nutritious
- Forget the ice diet or downing 1,000 McNuggets : For real culinary adventure, there's a pet-store owner in Washington state who's pledged to eat nothing but cat and dog food for a whole month, Fox News reports. Dorothy Hunter says all of her products at Paw’s Natural...
In First, FDA Wants Safety Standards for Pet Food
Oct 25, 2013 2:46 PM CDT
In First, FDA Wants Safety Standards for Pet Food
Move designed to prevent scares like 2007 China crisis
- The FDA today proposed new safety standards for pet food and farm animal feed, which, if passed, would be the first of their kind the agency has ever implemented. The rules cover such basic stuff as sanitation, hazard analysis, and manufacturing practices, NBC reports. "We have been pushing feed...
Virus Wiping Out Crickets
Raised for Snakes
Jan 12, 2011 5:36 AM CST
Virus Wiping Out Crickets Raised for Snakes
Cricket farms being forced out of business
- These are hard times for America's cricket farmers, and unless a virus is brought under control, they could become hungry times for pet snakes. The virus has swept through farms, killing millions of the crickets raised for pet reptiles and zoo animals, and driving several farmers out of business, the...
1,500 Chinese Dogs
Oct 21, 2008 12:53 PM CDT
Melamine Kills 1,500 Chinese Dogs
Fears sparked about widespread tainting
- About 1,500 Chinese raccoon dogs, bred specially for their fur, have died after eating tainted food over the last two months, the AP reports, raising fears of rampant misuse of the chemical melamine. The discovery comes as melamine-tainted milk has sickened thousands of babies with kidney stones and been...
Tainted Baby Formula
Kills 2 in China
Sep 15, 2008 1:51 PM CDT
Tainted Baby Formula Kills 2 in China
Dairy farms probed after banned toxic found in milk powder
- Two Chinese babies have died, 53 are in serious condition and 1,253 others are sick from widespread milk powder contamination, the
New York Times
reports. The baby formula laced with melamine—the same additive behind last year’s US pet-food recall—was recalled just last week by Sanlu Group,...
Made in China:
Toxic Baby Formula
Sep 12, 2008 2:26 AM CDT
Made in China: Toxic Baby Formula
Dangerous food may be in some US markets
- Baby formula made in China has been found to contain melamine, the same toxic substance that contaminated pet food and poisoned thousands of US dogs and cats last year. None of the formula is in the general US food supply—but some may be on the shelves in American Asian...
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.