Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They've Climbed the
14 Highest Peaks. Now,
a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Dec 13, 2021 8:33 AM CST
They've Climbed the 14 Highest Peaks. Now, a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Nepalese Sherpa brothers set out to climb highest peaks on all 7 continents
- Two brothers who are among Nepal's most famous Sherpa guides set out on Monday to scale the highest peaks on each of the world's seven continents, in a sweeping global trek that will take them across both the North and South poles. Mingma Sherpa and Chhang Dawa Sherpa...
Your Kid Finished the
Be Quiet, Maybe
Nov 12, 2021 1:49 PM CST
Your Kid Finished the Appalachian Trail? Be Quiet, Maybe
In 'Outside' essay, Krista Langlois explains why she doesn't like stories of young record-breakers
- We've all seen the occasional headlines about kids who set mountain-climbing records or hike the entire Appalachian Trail , but Krista Langlois doesn't want to hear about such feats anymore. In her latest piece for
, she explains it's not that she's unimpressed by the youngsters' abilities,...
3 Bodies Found Buried
on Peak Near Everest
Nov 9, 2021 1:07 PM CST
3 Bodies Found Buried on Peak Near Everest
They belong to French climbers missing on Kangtega since Oct. 26
- Three French climbers appear to have died in an avalanche on a peak near Mount Everest last month. The bodies of Thomas Arfi, Gabriel Miloche, and Louis Pachoud were recovered from Kangtega mountain in Nepal's remote Solukhumbu district on Monday, a day after they were discovered under more than...
First Disabled Man to Scale 14
Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Jul 20, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
First Disabled Man to Scale 14 Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Kim Hong-bin believed to have fallen into crevasse on Broad Peak in China
- In reaching the summit of Broad Peak on the border of Pakistan and China on Sunday, 57-year-old Kim Hong-bin became the first disabled person—and 44th person overall—to climb the world's 14 tallest mountains , reports the
. "As I could do it as a disabled person,...
Yosemite Climber Survived a
Huge Fall, With Consequences
Jun 30, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Yosemite Climber Survived a Huge Fall, With Consequences
Josh Ourada dug in his heels so hard one 'disintegrated in parts'
- Climber Josh Ourada fell almost 200 feet in Yosemite without dying. But that's not to say there weren't serious consequences. The 31-year-old talks to Outside Online about the April 10, 2021, fall—what preceded it, what he was thinking of as he plummeted, and what he's dealing...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
With 3 Climbers Missing,
the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Feb 10, 2021 9:39 AM CST
With 3 Climbers Missing, the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Pakistan suspends winter ascents, effective immediately
- Climbers managed to reach the top of the world's second-highest mountain in winter for the first time in January , but no more will be able to attempt it. Pakistani authorities on Wednesday suspended all winter ascents of K2, effective immediately, after three climbers went missing while attempting to scale...
They Said They
Their Photo Said Otherwise
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
They Said They Summited Everest. Their Photo Said Otherwise
Shadows were one issue
- Two Indian climbers who claimed to have summited Mount Everest, making them eligible for national awards, actually faked the ascent. That's according to authorities in Nepal, who began investigating after questions were raised about the pair's 2016 summit photo. At first glance, Narender Singh Yadav and Seema Rani...
'Oh, Jesus—What Are
They Doing' on Everest?
Dec 4, 2019 11:20 AM CST
'Oh, Jesus—What Are They Doing' on Everest?
Inside the perilous ascents and descents over 2 days in May
- "Oh, Jesus—what are they doing here?" It's a thought that repeated itself in Reinhard Grubhofer's mind as he summited Everest on May 23 and kept encountering climbers not physically and mentally up for the challenge. He was part of the horde who attempted to make it...
Father on Climbing Trip
With Son Falls to His Death
Nov 4, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Father on Climbing Trip With Son Falls to His Death
Texas man was attempting to descend Washington state's Aasgard Pass
- A father-son climbing trip in the Cascade Mountains turned tragic last week when Robert Jake Colburn apparently slipped and fell several hundred feet to his death. The 60-year-old from Dallas was descending Washington state's Aasgard Pass Thursday with three other people when he got ahead of the group, NBC...
They Watched Him Fall
on Video. Now, a Body
Oct 30, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
They Watched Him Fall on Video. Now, a Body
Live-streamer went missing atop Mount Fuji on Monday
- "Am I on the right track? So much of the route is covered with snow," says a man who was live-streaming his attempt at summiting Mount Fuji—a man whose body Japanese police on Wednesday said they may have found. The AP reports officials were notified after those...
The Ultimate Climbing Record
Has Just Been Smashed
Oct 29, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
The Ultimate Climbing Record Has Just Been Smashed
Nirmal Purja summited the planet's 14 tallest peaks in 189 days
- Nirmal Purja on Tuesday described the last six months as "grueling." That's likely an understatement. The 36-year-old Nepalese man has obliterated the world record for summiting the 14 peaks on the planet that measure at least 8,000 meters, or roughly 26,350 feet. The record had...
Mayor Outraged After
Sep 4, 2019 4:37 AM CDT
Mayor Outraged After Climber Leaves Rowing Machine on Mountain
'Bring on Brexit,' French mayor says
- A British ex-soldier has outraged a French mayor by leaving a rowing machine near the summit of western Europe's highest mountain during an unusual fundraising drive. Matthew Disney, a former Royal Marine, has been climbing mountains carrying the machine on his back, then rowing the height of the summit....
Crews Recover Bodies
of 7 Missing Climbers
Jun 24, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Crews Recover Bodies of 7 Missing Climbers
Search continues for the 8th
- A search team has recovered the bodies of seven of the eight climbers missing in the Indian Himalayas for a month. The bodies have not been identified, said a government official in northern India, who said returning them to the base camp will take two or three days, per ABC...
Plan to Get to Bodies
by Helicopter Doesn't Work
Jun 5, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Plan to Get to Bodies by Helicopter Doesn't Work
Rescue team may need to climb to get to the 8 who vanished on Nanda Devi East
- Indian officials have abandoned their initial plan to retrieve bodies believed to be members of a team of international climbers that went missing on a notoriously dangerous Himalayan mountain. All eight of the climbers who disappeared May 26 on Nanda Devi East are presumed dead, and the five bodies photographed...
Missing Climbers May Not
Have Had Permission
Jun 3, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Missing Climbers May Not Have Had Permission
8, including 2 Americans, are presumed dead on unnamed peak in India
- The news about eight missing climbers in the Indian Himalayas took a grim turn Monday when Indian pilots spotted five bodies amid evidence of an avalanche. High winds and snow kept rescuers from getting to the spot to search for the other three, but one official said the odds of...
4 More Climbers Die
on Clogged Everest
May 24, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
4 More Climbers Die on Clogged Everest
One man who died was reportedly stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours
- The "death zone" near the summit of Mount Everest is living up to its name. At least seven climbers have died on the mountain this week, most of them after spending time caught in a lethal single-file traffic jam of climbers on the way to and back from the...
Hi, I Just Climbed
in One Week!
May 21, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Hi, I Just Climbed Everest Twice in One Week!
Kami Rita Sherpa, 49, breaks own world record, ascends mountain for 24th time
- Dear everyone who's ever climbed Mount Everest: Big deal. That may be exactly what Kami Rita Sherpa is thinking after extending his latest record on the mega-mountain, reaching the peak for the 24th time on Tuesday, per the BBC . Not only that, but the 49-year-old had just ascended Everest...
Recovery Team Confirms
Fate of Famed Climbing Trio
Apr 22, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Recovery Team Confirms Fate of Famed Climbing Trio
Bodies of 3 renowned mountain climbers found in Banff National Park in Canada
- Even the most skilled mountain climbers in the world are no match for a major avalanche. A recovery team in Canada's Banff National Park has recovered the bodies of renowned mountaineers Jess Roskelley, 36, Hansjorg Auer, 35, and David Lama, 28, reports the
. Roskelley is American and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.