Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Ship Sinks, Dead Turtles
With Throat Damage Wash Up
Jun 23, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
After Ship Sinks, Dead Turtles With Throat Damage Wash Up
A dozen dolphins have been found dead as well
- Nearly a hundred carcasses of turtles with throat and shell damage, as well as a dozen dead dolphins and a blue whale, have washed ashore in Sri Lanka since a container ship burned and sank , raising fears of a severe marine disaster. Ecologists believe the deaths were directly caused by...
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles
Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
Feb 23, 2021 10:50 AM CST
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
It cleans their digestive tracts, say rescuers in Israel
- When it comes to saving sea turtles, Israeli rescuers have discovered that mayonnaise is a miracle, per the AP . Employees at Israel's National Sea Turtle Rescue Center are treating endangered green sea turtles affected by a devastating oil spill that has coated Israel's coast with thick black tar....
Texans Are Rescuing
Cold-Stunned Sea Turtles
Feb 17, 2021 5:02 PM CST
Texans Are Rescuing Cold-Stunned Sea Turtles
Thousands have been brought to a convention center
- Residents, some of whom lack heat or basic amenities in their own homes due to the unusually chilly weather, have been rescuing cold-stunned sea turtles and taking them to a convention center in a south Texas resort town. "Every 15 minutes or less there’s another truck or SUV...
With Tourists Gone, Record
Number of Baby Turtles Hatch
Oct 29, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
With Tourists Gone, Record Number of Baby Turtles Hatch
In Mexican community, locals released 2,250-plus hatchlings into the sea; usually it's less than 1,000
- The plight of the sea turtle in Mexico is so perilous that the country banned capturing and killing them 30 years ago. From late spring to early fall, one particularly vulnerable species lays its eggs on beaches throughout the nation, with nesting often disrupted by fishermen and tourists. This year,...
Fate of 'Map Turtles'
May Hang on Feds' Decision
Jul 7, 2020 8:52 AM CDT
Fate of 'Map Turtles' May Hang on Feds' Decision
2 species in Mississippi and Louisiana will be considered for protection
- The federal government says it will decide whether protection is needed for a freshwater turtle found only in Mississippi and a related species found in Mississippi and Louisiana, per the AP . The agreement settles a lawsuit filed in January calling for a declaration that Pearl River map turtles and Pascagoula...
Endangered Turtles Are
Apparently Stolen From Zoo
Nov 7, 2019 6:30 PM CST
Endangered Turtles Are Apparently Stolen From Zoo
They fetch high prices on the black market as pets
- Endangered turtles that are in demand on the black market have vanished from a zoo in Japan. Officials assume the 64 turtles were stolen, the AFP reports. "We feed them twice a week, and a keeper noticed their number was clearly low," an official at the Okinawa Zoo...
Animal Rescue Group:
We Need Your Old Bras
Jun 29, 2019 3:47 PM CDT
Animal Rescue Group: We Need Your Old Bras
Rescue group in North Carolina says the fasteners can help mend broken turtle shells
- A North Carolina animal rescue group is appealing to women not to throw out their old bras, but instead to send them—or at least the bra clasps—to their agency to help turtles with broken shells. Carolina Waterfowl Rescue of Charlotte is asking women through social media to remove...
There Were Only 4 of
These Turtles Left. Now, 3
Apr 14, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
There Were Only 4 of These Turtles Left. Now, 3
Last known female Yangtze softshell turtle dies at zoo in China
- The only known female member of one of the world's rarest turtle species has died at a zoo in southern China, officials said Sunday. The animal was one of four Yangtze giant softshell turtles known to be remaining in the world. The Suzhou zoo, where the female turtle lived,...
Guy Abandons 1.5K
Live Turtles at Airport
Mar 4, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Guy Abandons 1.5K Live Turtles at Airport
They were found in unclaimed suitcases
- Customs officers at a Philippines airport got a surprise when they opened four abandoned suitcases: Inside were 1,529 live turtles and tortoises of assorted species, wrapped in duct tape, the BBC reports. They included rare and endangered species like star tortoises and sulcata tortoises. Officials estimate they could have...
Turtle Is in Trouble
Apr 16, 2018 10:27 AM CDT
Funky, Green-Haired Turtle Is in Trouble
Mary River Turtle of Australia is under threat of extinction
- You'd think its punk-rock hair would be enough to bring an Australian turtle fans, even before they learn of its ability to breathe through its genitals. But if overlooked now, researchers hope the Mary River Turtle's spot on a list of unique, endangered reptiles will bring necessary attention...
'Endearing' Reason for
Delays at JFK Airport
Jul 8, 2017 1:27 PM CDT
'Endearing' Reason for Delays at JFK Airport
Dozens of migrating turtles
- Bird strikes at New York City-area airports have been known to cause emergency landings, but a different type of creature kept some planes from even taking off this week, the AP reports. As part of their annual migration ritual, about 40 diamondback terrapin turtles emerged from Jamaica Bay Friday...
Feds Bust Man With
51 Turtles in His Pants
Dec 2, 2015 1:00 AM CST
Feds Bust Man With 51 Turtles in His Pants
They spotted 'irregular bulges'
- A Canadian man caught at a border crossing with 51 turtles taped to his body pleaded guilty Tuesday to smuggling or attempting to smuggle more than 1,000 of the reptiles out of southeastern Michigan. Kai Xu, 27, would order turtles online, travel to the US to pick them up,...
Giddy Tourists Stop
Huge Turtle Army
Sep 20, 2015 4:30 PM CDT
Giddy Tourists Stop Huge Turtle Army From Nesting
Olive ridley sea turtles are forced to turn back
- A huge swarm of sea turtles emerged on the Costa Rican shore earlier this month to lay eggs, like they do every year. Only problem: Thousands of tourists were there too, getting in the way, prancing around for photos, and even placing their kids on the creatures' backs, Gizmodo reports....
Turtle Species on Brink as
Artificial Insemination Fails
Jul 26, 2015 1:40 PM CDT
Turtle Species on Brink as Artificial Insemination Fails
100-year-old would-be mom has more eggs on the way
- Nearly eight dozen Infertile eggs disappointed researchers at the Turtle Survival Alliance this week—and could have serious consequences for an entire species. A female Yangtze giant softshell turtle at China’s Suzhou Zoo laid 89 eggs after being artificially inseminated , but none of them were viable, reports
How the Turtle Got Its Shell
Jun 25, 2015 8:20 AM CDT
How the Turtle Got Its Shell
The 240M-year-old 'grandfather' turtle had no shell and a very long tail
- For at least a century, scientists have puzzled over the turtle. Thanks to a gap in the fossil record between 260 million and 220 million years ago, it's unclear how the turtle got its shell and to whom it's most closely related. Now a fossil from 240 million...
Turkey Baster May Save
Rare Turtle From the Brink
Jun 4, 2015 3:26 PM CDT
Turkey Baster May Save Rare Turtle From the Brink
Scientists hope artificial insemination works for endangered Yangtze turtle
- Scientists racing to save the Yangtze giant softshell turtle from extinction may have just taken a big step toward their goal. Just four of the freshwater turtles are known to exist—and only one of them, discovered in 2007, is female. After years of failed breeding with her 100-year-old male...
Turtle That Breathes
Through Its Butt
Dec 15, 2014 8:23 AM CST
Near Extinction: Turtle That Breathes Through Its Butt
In the right conditions, the white-throated snapping turtle can live to 100
- The days of the white-throated snapping turtle
) appear to be numbered, according to the Australian government, which has recently declared them critically endangered. If that isn't attention-grabbing enough, consider that the animal prompted a biologist to talk like this: "These turtles breathe out of their ass,...
Turtle Shells Predate Dinosaurs
May 31, 2013 1:32 PM CDT
Turtle Shells Predate Dinosaurs
Research claims shell is 40 million years older than previously known
- Turtles were crawling around in their body armor long before the time of the dinosaurs, or at least their ancestors were, according to new research found in
. Though it was previously believed the turtle shell began forming 220 million years ago, the study of an older ancestor—a...
Teen's Plan to
Blow up Turtles
Ends Very Badly
May 6, 2013 12:17 PM CDT
Teen's Plan to Blow up Turtles Ends Very Badly
Cigar ash sets off bomb in his pocket
- Karma wasted no time in living up to her reputation
Saturday in Texas. Police say a 19-year-old man made a bomb with which he planned to "blow up turtles." Instead, as he carried it in his pocket on his way down to the bayou with a friend, he...
19% of Reptiles at
Risk of Extinction
Feb 15, 2013 6:59 AM CST
19% of Reptiles at Risk of Extinction
Study reviewed 1,500 species
- Farming and logging are destroying the habitats of the world's reptiles, putting nearly one in five in danger of extinction, reports AFP . The new study—in which 200 experts examined 1,500 species of snakes, turtles, lizards, crocodiles, and other reptiles—claims to be the most comprehensive made of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.