Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Drones Bring Food, Water
to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
Oct 13, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Drones Bring Food, Water to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
They were stranded by La Palma eruption
- Several dogs stranded by the ongoing eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands have been saved from starvation by drone deliveries. Video from La Palma shows the dogs, trapped in a yard in a mountainous area cut off by lava, opening packages of food and water, reports Reuters . Authorities...
Starts New Lava Stream
Oct 10, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Partial Collapse Starts New Lava Stream
Canary Islands residents lug their belongings from homes
- A new river of lava belched Saturday from the La Palma volcano, spreading more destruction on the Atlantic Ocean island where over 1,000 buildings have already been engulfed or badly damaged by streams of molten rock. The partial collapse of the volcanic cone gave birth to a new lava...
Canary Islands Volcano
Turns 'More Aggressive'
Oct 1, 2021 2:06 PM CDT
Canary Islands Volcano Turns 'More Aggressive'
Two more fissures reported on La Palma, where lava began flowing weeks ago
- An erupting volcano on one of the Canary Islands blew open two more fissures on its cone Friday that belched forth lava, with authorities reporting “intense” activity in the area, per the AP . The new fissures, about 50 feet apart, sent streaks of fiery red and orange molten rock...
Lava on La Palma Reaches
Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Sep 29, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Lava on La Palma Reaches Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Authorities warn of possible toxic gaes
- It may be of little solace to La Palma residents whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by the ongoing volcanic eruption, but their island is getting bigger. Lava from an eruption that began on the Spanish island 10 days ago has now reached the Atlantic Ocean, creating a pyramid...
That Withstood a
Sep 29, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
'Miracle Home' That Withstood a Volcano's Flow Succumbs
The owners are 'devastated,' but hope to rebuild
Relief has turned to devastation for the owners of a "miracle home" that initially escaped the lava flow that has destroyed more than 600 other homes in the Canary Islands. The home on La Palma owned by retired Danish couple Inge Bergedorf and Ranier Cocq has now been...
Thousands Homeless, Flights
Canceled as Ash Spews
Sep 25, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Thousands Homeless, Flights Canceled as Ash Spews
'Evolution of the volcanic emergency' continues on Spanish island of La Palma
- Flights to and from the Spanish island of La Palma were canceled Saturday because of an ash cloud spewing out of a volcano that has been erupting for a week . La Palma Airport operator Aena said on Twitter that plane traffic was suspended "due to the accumulation of ash"...
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour
as It Makes Way to the Sea
Sep 22, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour as It Makes Way to the Sea
Lava is still spewing from Sunday’s eruption in the Canary Islands
- A wall of lava up to 40 feet high bore down on a Spanish village Wednesday as islanders scrambled to save what they could before the molten rock swallowed up their homes following a volcanic eruption. The lava still spewing from Sunday's eruption in the Canary Islands off northwest...
Lava From Volcano
'Will Destroy Everything
Sep 20, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Lava From Volcano 'Will Destroy Everything It Encounters'
But officials say eruption on La Palma, in Spain's Canary Islands, likely won't kill anyone
- Lava continued to flow slowly from a volcano that erupted in Spain's Canary Islands off northwest Africa, but the head of the regional government said Monday he expects no injuries to people in the area after some 5,000 were evacuated. The AP reports that lava was flowing on...
Woman Found Clinging
to Upturned Boat
That Left With 53
Aug 20, 2021 10:39 AM CDT
Woman Found Clinging to Upturned Boat That Left With 53
52 migrants feared dead in disaster off the Canary Islands
- A woman found clinging to an upturned dinghy more than 100 miles off the Canary Islands is believed to be the sole survivor of a migrant disaster that killed as many as 52. The 30-year-old, spotted by a passing ship some 135 miles from the Spanish archipelago off the coast...
'Most Monstrous Act a Person
Can Commit' Rocks Spain
Jun 16, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
'Most Monstrous Act a Person Can Commit' Rocks Spain
Tomás Gimeno allegedly killed daughters Anna and Olivia, dumped bodies at sea
- A Spanish woman says she wishes she could've died with her two young daughters, who are believed to have been killed by their father and dumped into the sea off the Canary Islands. A search is ongoing for 1-year-old Anna Gimeno Zimmermann off the main island of Tenerife. The...
At Least 140 Dead in
2020's Worst Shipwreck
Oct 30, 2020 8:08 AM CDT
At Least 140 Dead in 2020's Worst Shipwreck
Boat caught fire between Senegal and Canary Islands
- At least 140 people drowned off the coast of Senegal in what a United Nations agency says is the deadliest shipwreck so far in 2020. Authorities say the ship, carrying about 200 migrants headed for the Canary Islands, caught fire and capsized a few hours after leaving Senegal on Saturday,...
Exhibit on Ocean
to Big Shock for
Feb 14, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Exhibit on Ocean Pollution Leads to Big Shock for One Woman
German woman spots mixtape she lost 25 years ago—and it still works
- If you're in your late 30s or older, you likely remember the unique joy that accompanied creating what we olds call a "mixtape." A German woman is now reliving that elation after she stumbled upon a mixtape she lost 25 years ago while on vacation in Spain....
Judge Delays Sentencing
So Criminal Can Go on Vacation
May 23, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Judge Delays Sentencing So Criminal Can Go on Vacation
It would be a shame for him to miss that trip to Tenerife
- What's more important: starting a prison sentence for five crimes—including possession of drugs, a stun gun, and an extendable baton—or going on your planned vacation to the Canary Islands? One judge in Wales apparently thinks the latter. He agreed to delay 51-year-old Colin Watson's sentencing until...
Fugitive Who Tired of Life on
Sunny Island Turns Self In
Apr 22, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Fugitive Who Tired of Life on Sunny Island Turns Self In
'Tenerife is not as nice as it used to be'
- A man who says he fled an Austrian prison over a decade ago has turned himself in to police in Salzburg, telling them he was fed up with living in Spain's Canary Islands. Police said the 64-year-old, carrying two suitcases, approached cops at Salzburg's railway station Saturday night...
Man Is Crossing
Atlantic in Barrel
Wine, Foie Gras
in case you missed it
Dec 30, 2018 9:33 AM CST
Man Is Crossing Atlantic in Barrel Stocked With Wine, Foie Gras
Jean-Jacques Savin set 'sail' Wednesday from Spain's Canary Islands, headed to the Caribbean
- So far, Jean-Jacques Savin's barrel is "behaving well." Hopefully it will continue to do so, as the barrel—actually a large "barrel-shaped orange capsule," per the BBC —is transporting the 71-year-old Frenchman on a monthslong journey across the Atlantic Ocean. The former pilot, park...
Woman Busted in Plot
to Kill Stephen Hawking
Jul 2, 2016 9:50 AM CDT
Woman Busted in Plot to Kill Stephen Hawking
She had maps and documents detailing her astronomy-festival scheme
- An American woman was arrested Wednesday in Spain for sending dozens of death threats to Stephen Hawking then trailing him to an astronomy festival in the Canary Islands, Gizmodo reports. According to
, the unnamed 37-year-old woman lives in Norway and has no previous criminal record. Authorities were tipped...
An Albino Snake Is
Plaguing the Canary Islands
in case you missed it
May 3, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
An Albino Snake Is Plaguing the Canary Islands
There are as many as thousands per square mile ... underground
- Pet snakes have led to big problems in the Canary Islands, quite literally: Biologists say an albino variety of California kingsnake, bred in captivity in San Diego, is now obliterating native animal populations after some of the snakes came to the islands as pets and escaped. The snakes are 30%...
Apr 28, 2014 2:40 PM CDT
Island's Sole Power Sources: Wind, Water
Spain's El Hierro will be completely self-sufficient
- El Hierro, the tiniest and most southerly of Spain's Canary Islands, is surrounded by no small amount of volcanic activity , but it's turning to the power of wind- and water-driven energy for 100% of its 10,000 inhabitants' needs. In a move that would make it the world'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.