Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Ohio, Fatal Bus Crash
Shatters First Day of School
Aug 23, 2023 10:41 AM CDT
In Ohio, Fatal Bus Crash Shatters First Day of School
Child died after being ejected; dozens of others were injured, 1 seriously
- A minivan collided with a school bus setting out on the first day of school Tuesday in Ohio, sending the bus off the roadway, where it overturned, leaving a child dead. The elementary school student from the Northwestern Local School District was ejected from the bus, which was carrying a...
First Day of School Is
Aug 10, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
In Louisville, First Day of School Is 'Transportation Disaster'
Last Jefferson County Public Schools students were dropped off at 9:58pm
- For some students in Kentucky's biggest school district, the first day of school turned out to be the first night of school, too. Issues with school buses on Wednesday meant the final bus riders weren't dropped off until 9:58pm, said a rep for Jefferson County Public Schools—...
School Bus, Tanker Truck
Collide, Injuring 17 Kids
May 27, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
School Bus, Tanker Truck Collide, Injuring 17 Kids
Driver also hospitalized in crash in South Carolina's Lexington County
- All 18 people, mostly children, hurt this week in a crash involving a South Carolina school bus and tanker truck are now back home recuperating. NBC News has video of the Thursday collision, which took place around 4pm ET at an intersection in Lexington County, the South Carolina Highway Patrol...
For School Bus Hero,
Crisis Didn't Compete
With a Cellphone
May 15, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
For School Bus Hero, Crisis Didn't Compete With a Cellphone
Father says Dillon Reeves spotted the emergency instantly because he wasn't distracted by a screen
- The father of the 13-year-old who grabbed the controls when a school bus driver became incapacitated said there's a reason his son noticed the problem instantly: He wasn't staring at a cellphone. "What else are you going to do when you don’t have a phone?" Steve...
7 Kids Hurt as School Bus
Crashed Into House
Dec 1, 2022 4:59 PM CST
7 Kids Hurt as School Bus Crashed Into House
The injuries in New York's Rockland County are not life-threatening
- Seven children were injured Thursday when a school bus veered off the road in suburban New York, hit two parked cars, and crashed into a house, police said. The crash happened just before 9am in the village of New Hempstead in Rockland County, said the Ramapo police department, per the...
Kentucky School Bus
Crash Injures 18 Kids
Nov 15, 2022 12:01 AM CST
Kentucky School Bus Crash Injures 18 Kids
Driver also injured
- A school bus crashed over an embankment and landed on its side Monday morning in rural Kentucky, sending 18 children and the driver to hospitals with injuries ranging from minor to severe, authorities said Monday. Pupils from elementary age through high school were aboard the bus en route to classes...
Bus Driver Placed on Leave for
Threatening to Shoot Students
Sep 12, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Bus Driver Placed on Leave for Threatening to Shoot Students
She wasn't the only Utah bus driver placed on leave last week
- A school bus driver in Saratoga Springs, Utah, has been placed on administrative leave after being recorded apparently threatening to shoot students. Per NBC News, the incident occurred Friday afternoon on a bus carrying elementary students in the Alpine School District. Police told NBC that investigators have not yet determined...
Students Praised for
Quick Action After
Bus Driver Collapses
Mar 15, 2022 4:48 PM CDT
Students Praised for Quick Action After Bus Driver Collapses
Maine students steered school bus to safety
- A group of Maine middle and high school students grabbed the wheel of their school bus Monday morning when their driver suffered a fatal medical condition, steering the vehicle to safety while another classmate attempted to administer first aid to the stricken driver. Topsham Police Chief Marc Hagan thanked the...
School Bus Hits, Kills
First-Grader: 'We're Hurting'
Dec 22, 2021 7:11 AM CST
School Bus Hits, Kills First-Grader: 'We're Hurting'
Investigators are looking into accident in Jefferson County
- At the end of the school day on the last day of school before winter break in Missouri's Jefferson County, tragedy for the family of one first-grader. The
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports that the little boy, who hasn't been identified, had just gotten off his school bus at...
School Bus Full of Kids
Crashes Into Creek
Nov 9, 2021 1:57 PM CST
School Bus Full of Kids Crashes Into Creek
Driver and all the students escape serious injury in Pennsylvania
- A school bus full of middle schoolers crashed into a creek in Pennsylvania Tuesday, though no serious injuries were reported. Several of the 29 kids aboard, plus the driver, wound up in a nearby hospital after the bus slid down an embankment into Bushkill Creek in Easton, though all were...
Massachusetts Has Creative
Fix for Crippling Shortage
Sep 14, 2021 5:42 PM CDT
Massachusetts Has Creative Fix for Crippling Shortage
National Guard to fill in on school bus routes
- Schools are finally opening again; the next challenge is getting kids into the buildings. There are school bus driver shortages all over the country for many reasons. Massachusetts has a solution—at least a temporary fix. Up to 250 members of the Massachusetts National Guard who already have commercial driver’...
New Bus Driver:
Mom and Dad
Aug 18, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Introducing Your New Bus Driver: Mom and Dad
Meanwhile, one school district will force many kids to walk
- Schools in many states are having a hard time finding school bus drivers—to the extent that one school is offering to pay parents who drive their kids. The EastSide Charter School in Wilmington, Del., is offering $700 per year for each child that is dropped off and picked up....
Sheriff: Kids' Questions
Fluster School Bus Hijacker
May 7, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Sheriff: Kids' Questions Fluster School Bus Hijacker
Army trainee at Fort Jackson in SC boarded bus, eventually let children off; nobody was injured
- An Army trainee is being held in South Carolina after hijacking a school bus with 18 children and the driver on it, authorities said. No one was injured, CNN reports. Pvt. Jovan Collazo, 23—who was in his third week of basic training—wanted to go home, a Fort Jackson...
At Least 2 Killed in
Tenn. School Bus Crash
Oct 27, 2020 6:29 PM CDT
At Least 2 Killed in Tenn. School Bus Crash
Multiple students were hospitalized
- A school bus carrying children crashed Tuesday in Tennessee, killing at least two people and injuring others, officials said. The crash involved a utility service vehicle and happened on state Highway 58 in Meigs County in eastern Tennessee, said Lt. Bill Miller of the Tennessee Highway Patrol. Tennessee Education Commissioner...
He Led Cops on Long Chase,
Couldn't Reach Gas Pedal
Oct 12, 2020 7:42 PM CDT
He Led Cops on Long Chase, Couldn't Reach Gas Pedal
Police say 11-year-old boy stole school bus, had to stand to reach the pedal
- An 11-year-old Louisiana boy faces a series of charges after police said he stole a school bus and led several vehicles on a chase that lasted 45 minutes. Baton Rouge police said the boy hit three vehicles while taunting them and flipping officers off, NBC News reports. Officers blocked traffic...
1 Dead After
Hits School Bus
Aug 13, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
1 Dead After Rental Truck Hits School Bus
Truck driver killed in Georgia accident
- A man is dead and six students were injured after a box truck crashed into the back of a school bus that had stopped to let students off Wednesday in rural Georgia, the AP reports. The bus was stopped on a highway in Bacon County around 3:30pm when the...
Girl, 6, Killed at Bus Stop While
Holding Grandmother's Hand
Mar 2, 2020 6:28 PM CST
Girl, 6, Killed at Bus Stop While Holding Grandmother's Hand
Child was standing on the sidewalk when a truck hit her
- Every morning, Jerrnia Horne, 6, was walked to her school bus stop by a parent or grandparent. On Friday, as the South Carolina girl waited for her bus, holding her grandmother's hand, a truck hit her. She died later at a hospital. "We were on the sidewalk. Then,...
Axe Body Spray Does It
Again: Bus Evacuated
Dec 12, 2019 1:00 AM CST
Axe Body Spray Does It Again: Bus Evacuated
About 15 students suffer 'mild respiratory irritation'
- Like Axe Body Spray? These 30 Florida school children may never like it again. Their Manatee Country School District bus was pulled over and evacuated Monday after an "excessive amount" of the product was released inside,
reports. "It was a unified command decision to call out...
3 Siblings Were
Killed at a Bus
Verdict Is In
Oct 19, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
3 Siblings Were Killed at a Bus Stop. The Verdict Is In
Alyssa Shepherd found guilty of reckless homicide in 2018 crash that killed Indiana children
- An Indiana woman was convicted Friday of reckless homicide for plowing her pickup truck into four children, killing three of them as they crossed a two-lane highway to board their school bus. The Fulton County jury also found Alyssa Shepherd, 24, guilty of criminal recklessness in the Oct. 30, 2018,...
911 Call From
Sep 22, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Bus Driver Charged After 911 Call From 5th-Grader
'There's still kids on there,' student tells dispatcher
- It's one thing when a child calls 911 to report this of an adult: "She's like wobbling, and then her eyes—you can tell she was drunk." It's another when that child is a fifth-grader and the adult in question is driving his school bus....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
As Elections Approach, Musk's X Makes a 'Concerning' Move
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.