Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Being Robbed Calls
911, Talks to Her Mom
Nov 7, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Teen Being Robbed Calls 911, Talks to Her Mom
Teri Clark, a New Orleans dispatcher, handles most harrowing call of her career
- In the annals of memorable 911 calls, this one stands out. When 16-year-old Tenia Hill called police in New Orleans to report a robbery in progress, her own mother answered, reports WDSU . Tenia had been working her part-time job at a McDonald's when an armed robber forced her and...
In Hours Before Seoul
Surge, Worried 911 Calls
Nov 1, 2022 12:32 PM CDT
In Hours Before Seoul Surge, Worried 911 Calls
National police chief concedes law enforcement response was 'inadequate'
- The deadly crowd surge in Seoul over the weekend, which left more than 150 dead and dozens injured during festivities celebrating Halloween, took place about four hours after an initial 911 call had been placed, warning that the number of people crammed into a narrow alley in the Itaewon district...
People Called 911
to Complain About
Active Shooter Alert
Jul 26, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
People Called 911 to Complain About Active Shooter Alert
Mounties say they issued the alert 'at the appropriate time' during rampage
- Public safety officials in Langley, British Columbia promise to review the decision to issue public emergency alerts during a shooting rampage Monday, but they say the decision was appropriate, and they’re not happy with the way some citizens responded. Per CTV News, the first cellphone alert was issued at...
Chief Didn't Bring
Police Radio to School
Jun 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Chief Didn't Bring Police Radio to School
Pete Arredondo might not have known at first about the 911 calls coming from the classroom
- The school district police chief who took charge of the response to the Uvalde shootings arrived quickly at Robb Elementary, while shots were still being fired inside. But Pete Arredondo didn't have a police radio with him, the
New York Times
reports. He called a police landline on a...
Chief at Scene
Wasn't Told of
Jun 2, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Lawmaker: Chief at Scene Wasn't Told of 911 Calls
Uvalde had a 'system failure' in communicating information, state senator says
- The commander overseeing police during a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, was not informed of panicked 911 calls coming from students trapped inside, and it's unclear who at the scene was aware of the calls as the massacre of 19 students and two teachers unfolded, a...
Locksmith: My Customer
Had '911' on Her Hand
Oct 10, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Locksmith: My Customer Had '911' on Her Hand
'That kind of was another little red flag'
- A locksmith visiting a Utah woman's home noticed something odd: She held up her hand with "911" written on it. Then she did it again. "That kind of was another little red flag," said Greg, who kept his last name private, per Fox 13 . "And...
A Library Voiced
Its Support for BLM.
A Sheriff Pounced
Jul 29, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
A Library Voiced Its Support for BLM. A Sheriff Pounced
Dan Coverley has backtracked since telling Nevada library not to call 911
- A Nevada library recently posted a proposed statement on diversity and inclusion, and it didn't sit well with the county sheriff. The Douglas County Public Library "denounces all acts of violence, racism, and disregard for human rights. We support #Black Lives Matter," the library wrote in the...
Calls 911 on
Jan 15, 2020 9:10 AM CST
YouTube Star Calls 911 on Ex-
He came knocking on Onision's door amid accusations of child grooming, emotional abuse
- The alleged predators used to knock on Chris Hansen's door. Now he's knocking on theirs, and his most recent mark, a famous YouTube star, wasn't having it. The Daily Dot reports that the 60-year-old former host of
To Catch a Predator
now runs a YouTube channel called...
Man Complains About
Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Oct 4, 2019 1:36 AM CDT
Man Complains About Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Canadian man complained he had been trying to rest
- When police in Ontario, Canada, put out an Amber Alert for five missing children, a man called 911 within minutes—to complain about the alert. Police say 70-year-old Hamilton resident Doug Bagshaw was arrested and charged with mischief because he called 911 when there was no emergency, trying to "...
With Family Held Captive
in Car, Mom Got an Idea
May 30, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
With Family Held Captive in Car, Mom Got an Idea
Driver-boyfriend arrested thanks to 'Please call 911' sign: cops
- A New York woman's quick thinking made quick work of an alleged crime against herself and her three children Tuesday. The woman, her 13-year-old son, and her twin 3-year-olds with autism were being held captive on threat of violence in a car driven by the woman's boyfriend when...
Girl Told to Clean Room
Calls 911 on Parents
Dec 11, 2018 4:38 AM CST
Girl Told to Clean Room Calls 911 on Parents
Police say 9-year-old got a 'talking to'
- Police in Ontario have told parents to make sure their children know that 911 is a number to be called in emergencies only—and it is not an emergency when your parents ask you to clean your room. The Ontario Provincial Police say they rushed to a residence in Simcoe...
Oct 13, 2017 7:24 PM CDT
Man Arrested After Phone Won't Stop Calling 911
Nathan Hawkins says phone would call 911 on its own when he slept with it in his pocket
- Police in Ohio say they've arrested a man after receiving random 911 calls for months from his apparently malfunctioning cellphone, the AP reports. According to the
Review in Alliance
, Sebring police arrested 33-year-old Nathan Hawkins Oct. 5 on a felony charge of disrupting public service.
Mom Sues T-Mobile
Over Baby's Death
May 11, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Mom Sues T-Mobile Over Baby's Death
Suit claims glitch prevented babysitter from getting through to 911 after Brandon Alex fell
- The mom of a baby who died after his babysitter was put on hold with 911 for more than half an hour has filed a lawsuit against T-Mobile for a system glitch that may have contributed to the boy's March death. The
Dallas Morning News
reports the complaint filed...
Woman Shot Dead Was Told
by Cops to 'Stop Calling 911'
Apr 3, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
Woman Shot Dead Was Told by Cops to 'Stop Calling 911'
Body cam video shows Fla. police noting Latina Herring's 'false accusations'
- Body cam video released by police in Sanford, Fla., after a man allegedly went on a shooting spree last week that killed his girlfriend and her 8-year-old son, shows cops scoffing at the woman's "false accusations" and telling her to "stop calling 911," WESH reports. In...
Woman Locked in Trunk of
Car Saved by Old Flip Phone
Jan 24, 2017 1:23 PM CST
Woman Locked in Trunk of Car Saved by Old Flip Phone
A 911 dispatcher texted the woman using the office's emergency cellphone
- A North Carolina woman allegedly locked in the trunk of a moving car by her boyfriend was saved by a quick-thinking 911 dispatcher and a lowly flip phone, ABC News reports. The 29-year-old woman called 911 around 4am Jan. 14. The woman had gotten in a fight with her boyfriend,...
911 Operator Accused
of Hanging Up on Callers
Oct 12, 2016 4:05 PM CDT
911 Operator Accused of Hanging Up on Callers
Crenshanda Williams is charged in Houston
- "Ain't nobody got time for this," a former Houston 911 operator was recorded as saying as she allegedly hung up on a security guard calling to report a street-racing incident. NBC News reports 43-year-old Crenshanda Williams is being charged with interfering with emergency telephone calls, a misdemeanor,...
Police Violence Leads to
Far Fewer 911 Calls
Sep 29, 2016 5:34 PM CDT
Police Violence Leads to Far Fewer 911 Calls
Especially in black neighborhoods
- The so-called "Ferguson Effect" says homicides go up after high-profile police-on-citizen violence because police become too worried about being investigated for use of force. But the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
reports a new study published Thursday has another explanation. Researchers found that 911 calls related to crime dropped 20% in...
911 Call: My Dad
Jul 5, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
4-Year-Old on 911 Call: My Dad Passed Out in Car
NJ cops say 41-year-old Jamil Graham was found with half-empty bottle of vodka
- Police say a 4-year-old New Jersey girl called 911 to report her father had passed out in their car, the AP reports. Cliffside Park police say 41-year-old Jamil Graham of Englewood Cliffs was charged with child endangerment, being under the influence of alcohol, and several motor vehicle offenses. Police say...
'I'm in Orlando,
I Did the Shootings':
Mateen to 911
Jun 20, 2016 11:03 AM CDT
'I'm in Orlando, I Did the Shootings': Mateen to 911
Gunman also warned of future attacks in FBI-released partial transcripts of calls on night of shooting
- The FBI has released the latest in the Orlando massacre : partial transcripts of 911 calls made by shooter Omar Mateen the night of the attack. Per the
, Mateen's first call was with a 911 dispatcher at 2:35am from the bathrooms inside Pulse, where he held hostages....
After Baby Stops Breathing, 'Hey Siri' Comes to Rescue
Jun 8, 2016 8:35 AM CDT
After Baby Stops Breathing, 'Hey Siri' Comes to Rescue
Aussie mom used voice-activated feature to call ambulance as she performed CPR
- An Aussie mom recently penned a heartfelt thank-you note to Apple, and her story of how the company's "Hey Siri" feature helped save her 1-year-old daughter is now making the rounds. Per 9to5mac.com , Stacey Gleeson noticed her daughter, Giana, wasn't breathing back in March, and as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.