Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Divided Libyans Seek
Unity in Flood's Wake
Sep 18, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Divided Libyans Seek Unity in Flood's Wake
Disaster's pain has been felt around the country, one man says
- Zahra el-Gerbi wasn't expecting much of a response to her online fundraiser, but she felt she had to do something after four of her relatives died in the flooding that decimated the eastern Libyan city of Derna. She put out a call for donations for those displaced by the...
Biden Seeks $40B
in Emergency Spending
Aug 10, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Biden Seeks $40B in Emergency Spending
Proposal will run up against government shutdown threat
- President Biden sent a funding request to Congress on Thursday for emergency spending totaling about $40 billion. The proposal includes $24 billion for aid to Ukraine and other international causes, $12 billion to restock federal disaster relief funds, and $4 billion for needs at the border with Mexico, Politico reports....
Man Blew $60K in COVID Funds
on a Pokemon Card
Mar 8, 2022 7:03 AM CST
Man Blew $60K in COVID Funds on a Pokemon Card
Vinath Oudomsine was stripped of 'Charizard' on his way to prison
- A 31-year-old Georgia man will spend three years in prison after using $57,789 of his $85,000 COVID-19 disaster relief loan to buy a Pokemon card. Vinath Oudomsine, 31, of Dublin applied to the Small Business Administration for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan around July 2020, claiming he operated...
Haiti Crews 'Can Hear People
Screaming' in the Rubble
Aug 14, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Haiti Crews 'Can Hear People Screaming' in the Rubble
Death toll reaches 304 from magnitude 7.2 earthquake
- Crews in Haiti were trying Saturday to reach people trapped in the rubble after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck in the morning, killing at least 304 people. At least 1,800 are injured, the government said. As rescuers worked, at least six aftershocks shook the region, one of which...
Abbott Calls Biden's
Move 'Partial Approval'
Feb 20, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Abbott Calls Biden's Move 'Partial Approval'
Disaster declaration could be added for other counties later, White House says
- President Biden approved a major disaster declaration for Texas on Saturday, an action that will send federal money to 77 of the state's 254 counties. Gov. Greg Abbott welcomed the announcement but pointed out that he'd requested the declaration for all Texas counties. "While this partial approval...
Trump Reverses on Aid
After Call With Governor
Oct 16, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Trump Reverses on Aid After Call With Governor
State requests for disaster relief are seldom turned down
- President Trump has reversed course and approved a previously rejected California application for disaster relief funds to clean up damage from six recent wildfires. Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement Friday that he had talked to Trump on the phone and that the president approved the major disaster declaration,...
As Puerto Rico Again Suffers,
an Outrageous Find
Jan 19, 2020 7:50 AM CST
As Puerto Rico Again Suffers, an Outrageous Find
A warehouse full of disaster relief supplies from 2017 discovered in island's south
- People in a southern Puerto Rico city discovered a warehouse filled with water, cots, and other unused emergency supplies, then set off a social media uproar Saturday when they broke in to retrieve goods as the area struggles to recover from a strong earthquake. With anger spreading in the US...
Trump Officials Divert
FEMA Funds to Border
Aug 28, 2019 6:39 AM CDT
Trump Officials Divert FEMA Funds to Border
Disaster relief cash pulled to pay for courtrooms
- The Trump administration is shifting money from disaster relief to immigration enforcement—even with Tropical Storm Dorian threatening a direct hit on Puerto Rico. Officials confirmed Tuesday that $271 million in Homeland Security funding is being diverted to Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pay for detention beds and temporary courtrooms,...
Congress Finally Approves
$19B Disaster Aid Bill
Jun 4, 2019 12:32 AM CDT
Congress Finally Approves $19B Disaster Aid Bill
Trump deletes tweet after calling for Senate to approve bill it passed 2 weeks ago
- A long-delayed $19.1 billion disaster aid bill sailed through the House on Monday and headed to President Trump for his expected signature, overcoming months of infighting, misjudgment, and a feud between Trump and congressional Democrats. Lawmakers gave the measure final congressional approval by 354-58 in the House's first...
A Republican Again
May 30, 2019 5:17 PM CDT
A Republican Again Prevents House From Passing Disaster Aid
John Rose calls spending 'irresponsible'
- A House Republican lawmaker on Thursday prevented the House from sending a multibillion-dollar disaster relief bill to President Trump. This time, it was John Rose of Tennessee who objected when the package came up for unanimous consent—the only way legislation can pass when the House is on recess, CNN...
May 28, 2019 4:56 PM CDT
Again, One Lawmaker Blocks Disaster Aid Passage
Kentucky Republican stalls $19B package
- For the second time in less than a week, a House Republican has prevented a $19.1 billion federal disaster aid package from passing Congress. That makes it more likely that the measure won't be approved until the House returns from recess next Monday, the
reports. When the...
Blocks Disaster Relief Bill
May 24, 2019 1:05 PM CDT
Lawmaker Single-Handedly Blocks Disaster Relief Bill
Conservative Rep. Chip Roy of Texas objects and scuttles $19B in aid, temporarily
- Chip Roy is a freshman congressman from Texas who just blipped onto the national political radar with a controversial move. The conservative Republican single-handedly blocked approval of a $19.1 billion relief bill Friday for regions around the US recovering from hurricanes and other disasters. The details of what happened,...
Rotting in Trailers
Aug 11, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Puerto Rico Donations Found Rotting in Trailers
National Guard, elections office swap quotes in the media
- Several trailers' worth of donated water, food, and other supplies designated for victims of Hurricane Maria have been found rotting in a Puerto Rico parking lot, the
New York Times
reports. A local radio station posted a video of at least 10 rat-infested trailers outside a state elections office Friday...
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers,
Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Feb 19, 2018 9:40 AM CST
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers, Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Bureaucracy, too much gear, and other inefficiencies are marring response efforts
- They're called the "national Swiss Army knife of emergency response," teams of highly trained first responders sent by FEMA across the US when disaster strikes. But when hurricanes pummeled Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico last summer, many of the thousands deployed via the agency's National Urban...
Trump Talks Pulling
FEMA Amid Struggle to
Help Puerto Rico
Oct 12, 2017 9:53 AM CDT
Trump Talks Pulling FEMA Amid Struggle to Help Puerto Rico
Chuck Schumer says FEMA's work is 'not even close to done'
- President Trump is warning that hurricane relief for Puerto Rico has an end date even as federal officials acknowledge a massive food shortage on the island three weeks after Hurricane Maria. "We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult...
Tyler Perry Gives
With Some of It
for Joel Osteen
Sep 1, 2017 12:31 PM CDT
Tyler Perry Gives Houston $1M, With Some of It for Joel Osteen
A quarter of the money goes to Osteen's church
- Tyler Perry is donating $1 million to relief efforts in Texas following Hurricane Harvey, and a full 25% of that amount is going to Joel Osteen's Houston megachurch. Perry announced the donations in a video on Facebook ,
reports, and he insisted that though people were upset when the...
Red Cross VP
Squirms in Interview
on How Donations
Aug 31, 2017 11:18 AM CDT
Red Cross VP Squirms in Interview on How Donations Are Distributed
I 'really don't' know, exec admits to NPR on Harvey relief efforts
- In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, many have criticized the American Red Cross, with Facebook and others even directing those who want to help to donate to a different charity . The criticism isn't new: As NPR notes, there have long been reports that ARC misstates how donor dollars are...
Want to Help After Harvey?
Don't Donate to the Red Cross
Aug 29, 2017 11:03 AM CDT
Want to Help After Harvey? Don't Donate to the Red Cross
Jonathan M. Katz argues that the organization is flawed
- Hurricane Harvey has devastated Texas, and it's natural to want to help. But don't try to help by donating money to the American Red Cross, journalist and author Jonathan M. Katz writes on Slate . The disaster relief organization may be iconic, but it's far from effective,...
Red Cross Calls
Jun 27, 2014 7:43 AM CDT
Red Cross Calls Sandy Spending 'Trade Secret'
Won't say how it spent the $300M it raised
- The Red Cross raised more than $300 million for Superstorm Sandy disaster relief, but it is refusing to say how it raised or spent the cash. After ProPublica filed a public records request for the information, the Red Cross hired a law firm to block the release of some documents....
US Carrier Arrives
in Philippines Amid
Nov 14, 2013 7:31 AM CST
US Carrier Arrives in Philippines Amid Logistics Nightmare
Volunteer surgeons working by flashlight in disaster zone
- Help is finally beginning to reach hundreds of thousands of people struggling to survive in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. The USS George Washington and two US cruisers have arrived in the Philippines and will distribute food, water, and medicine, as well as assist search and rescue operations in what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.