Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 4, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
MSNBC Drops Tiffany Cross
Network doesn't renew contract for 'The Cross Connection' host
- MSNBC has not said who will host the last two hours of every Saturday morning on the network, but it will no longer be Tiffany Cross.
The Cross Connection
host is leaving the network,
reports. Executives told the commentary program's production staff Friday but made no public comment...
CNN Makes a Shift
on 'Breaking News'
Jun 3, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
CNN Makes a Shift on 'Breaking News'
CNN chief Chris Licht tells network staff to cool it on using the ubiquitous banner
- If you're a regular CNN viewer, you're also intimately familiar with one of its most well-known chyrons: the bright-red "Breaking News" banner that seems to accompany a good number of its newscasts. No more, says new network chief Chris Licht, who's now issued an edict on...
OAN Gets the Boot
Jan 15, 2022 10:30 AM CST
OAN Gets the Boot From DirecTV
Satellite TV company says it won't renew One America News' contract when it expires in April
- DirecTV customers who watch One America News will soon have to find a new way to view the ultra-right-wing network. The satellite TV company announced Friday that it will be parting ways with OAN, reports CBS News , picking up on the development first reported by Bloomberg . "We informed [OAN...
Our Interest in the News
Wasn't What It Was in 2020
Dec 27, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Our Interest in the News Wasn't What It Was in 2020
The AP rounds up some numbers that show the decline
- The presidential election, pandemic, and racial reckoning were stories that drove intense interest and engagement to news outlets in 2020. To a large degree, 2021 represented the inevitable hangover. The AP reports various metrics illustrate the dwindling popularity of news content. The major takeaways:
Cable news networks:
In 2021, weekday
Cops Arrest Guy
Who Allegedly Accosted
Reporter During Hurricane
Sep 3, 2021 2:02 AM CDT
Cops Arrest Guy Who Allegedly Accosted Reporter During Hurricane
Benjamin Dagley may have violated Ohio probation
The guy suspected of accosting an MSNBC journalist while he reported on Hurricane Ida has been arrested. Police located the truck belonging to Benjamin Dagley in a Dayton, Ohio, parking lot Thursday morning, and the 54-year-old was arrested as he exited a nearby store, CBS News reports. "This...
Journalist Accosted While
Reporting on Hurricane
Aug 30, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Journalist Accosted While Reporting on Hurricane
Shaquille Brewster was fine after being interrupted by an irate heckler
- Shaquille Brewster was in Gulfport, Mississippi, reporting on the aftermath of Hurricane Ida for MSNBC. Craig Melvin, cozy in a studio somewhere asked him what he was seeing. Video shows him reporting that mail delivery had resumed while wind and rain persisted, when an apparently very upset man runs up...
Maddow Has Apparently Made
Decision on Her Next Move
Aug 23, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Maddow Has Apparently Made Decision on Her Next Move
Popular primetime host reportedly signs deal to stick around MSNBC for at least a few more years
- Looks like we can now put to rest those whispers of Rachel Maddow ditching MSNBC . The cable channel's "most popular primetime anchor" is reportedly sticking around for at least a few more years, per Insider . Sources tell that outlet, as well as the
New York Times
Fox News Role Is Revealed
Mar 30, 2021 11:09 AM CDT
Kayleigh McEnany's Fox News Role Is Revealed
Former White House press secretary to co-host 'Outnumbered'
- Kayleigh McEnany will host a daytime talk show as part of her new gig with Fox News . The former White House press secretary will join co-hosts Harris Faulkner and Emily Compagno on
, which features a rotating panel of guests, starting April 6,
reports. Deadline notes it's the...
Competing Network Delivers
'Serious Shock' to Fox
in case you missed it
Dec 13, 2020 6:45 AM CST
Competing Network Delivers 'Serious Shock' to Fox
In small victory, Newsmax won in the ratings over Fox, thanks to 'Greg Kelly Reports'
- President Trump has spent weeks directing followers to Newsmax TV, apparently with results. On Monday, the network recorded its first ratings win over Fox News.
Greg Kelly Reports
at 7pm ET averaged 229,000 viewers in the key 25- to 54-year-old demographic, while an average of 203,000 viewers in...
CNN Ratings Soar, Top Fox
in Coveted Demographic
Dec 2, 2020 6:15 PM CST
CNN Ratings Soar, Top Fox in Coveted Demographic
Both networks have their best-ever November numbers
- The 2020 election didn't just inspire a record-setting number of votes—it also had America glued to the news. CNN and Fox News reaped the most benefits, with CNN dominating the coveted age demographic of 25 to 54 in November and raising its overall viewership by 135% compared to...
How 'Mayor Pete'
Became 'Slayer Pete'
Oct 18, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
How 'Mayor Pete' Became 'Slayer Pete'
Pete Buttigieg wins acclaim for his rebuttals on Fox News
- CNN Business called him "savage." The
dubbed him "Slayer Pete." Of all people, Pete Buttigieg—the friendly, clean, cerebral Democratic politician of 2020—is raising eyebrows for his icy put-downs on Fox News. To wit: "I don't know why you would...
MSNBC Fans, This Face
Might Greet You Every Day
Jan 14, 2020 2:45 PM CST
MSNBC Fans, This Face Might Greet You Every Day
Yes, it's Shepard Smith
- MSNBC is mulling a shakeup that would give Chuck Todd a morning slot and bring in Fox News fugitive Shepard Smith—if, that is, the network can snag him. MSNBC insiders tell the Daily Beast that several networks want Smith, who quit Fox News last year, but no one's...
Another Conservative News
Channel Might Make It Big
Jan 11, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Another Conservative News Channel Might Make It Big
One America News Network might sell for around $250M
- President Trump supporters are aiming to buy a conservative news channel and possibly change the face of cable media, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Hicks Equity Partners, owned by a Trump ally, is seeking other GOP donors to bid around $250 million for One America News Network. The move comes...
Mar 9, 2019 9:44 AM CST
GOP Cable News Hire Gives Up Job After Backlash
Sarah Isgur apparently asked for the change
- A recent CNN hire that caused all kinds of waves has reached safe, dry land: a less powerful job. The network said Friday that Sarah Isgur, a former GOP operative, will be a political analyst instead of a political editor as originally planned, Bloomberg reports. "And news: I will...
Bans Cable News
Jan 7, 2018 1:10 PM CST
Fitness Chain Bans Cable News
Life Time Fitness has turned off Fox, MSNBC, and CNN at its 128 locations
- Good news for all you fitness enthusiasts looking for a break from the stresses of the daily news: Life Time Fitness has blacked out all 24-hour cable news channels from TVs at its 128 locations. Gym members will still be able to watch USA and A&E and ESPN while...
Sources: Big Change Coming
to Fox News Prime Time
Sep 12, 2017 1:38 AM CDT
Sources: Big Change Coming to Fox News Prime Time
Laura Ingraham is reportedly going to take over the 10pm slot
- The upheaval at Fox News has created a big opportunity for conservative commentator and radio host Laura Ingraham, insiders say. Sources tell CNN that Ingraham—a President Trump supporter and popular Fox guest host—has been in talks to take over the network's 10pm slot and has told friends...
A First for
Jul 25, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
A First for MSNBC in the Nielsens
Largest prime-time weekday audience on cable, across all networks (not just news)
- Since it first took to the air in 1996, MSNBC has been deep in the fray, vying for coveted ratings in the fiercely competitive cable-television arena. Twenty-one years later, it has finally nabbed a big one: the biggest weekday prime-time cable audience, not only against news networks, but all networks...
2 Tough Headlines
for Fox News
May 23, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
2 Tough Headlines for Fox News
Bad news in the ratings department and the lawsuit department
- Tuesday isn't shaping up to be a great news day for Fox News. Harassment lawsuits and sinking ratings are both making headlines:
Three new lawsuits filed Monday allege racial discrimination or sexual harassment at Fox News, deepening the network's legal woes, the AP reports. The cases increase to
Amid Political Bickering, YMCA
Gives Cable News the Boot
Mar 6, 2017 3:06 PM CST
Amid Political Bickering, YMCA Gives Cable News the Boot
Because apparently, America, we cannot have nice political debate at the gym
- You know how a few miles on the treadmill can really get your pulse racing? Well, it seems the same can be said of MSNBC and Fox News, so nary the two shall meet at the Greater Scranton YMCA, which has seen tempers get a little hot of late. "...
Trump Gets His Marching
Orders From the Idiot Box
Jan 27, 2017 3:30 PM CST
Trump Gets His Marching Orders From the Idiot Box
The president has a 'fanatical preoccupation' with TV news
- Maybe we should call him Don Teavee ? Lloyd Grove at the Daily Beast has a piece chronicling President Trump's "unprecedented"—as one political science professor calls it—obsession with the idiot box and cable news. So far, Trump's MO as president appears to be watching...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.