Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
St. Louis Cardinals
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fight Over Cap Blows
Lid Off Cheating Suspicions
in case you missed it
May 30, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Fight Over Cap Blows Lid Off Cheating Suspicions
Umpire may have gotten ahead of MLB by ejecting manager and pitcher's hat
- When Giovanny Gallegos jogged in from the bullpen to pitch during Wednesday's Cardinals-White Sox game, umpires noticed a dark spot on his cap. Crew chief Joe West, with the authority granted him by MLB rule 6.02(c)(7), asked for the cap to check for illegal substances, CBS reports. A...
Phillies Star Hit in Face
by 96.9MPH Fastball
Apr 29, 2021 4:47 AM CDT
Phillies Star Hit in Face by 96.9MPH Fastball
'Face is still there, so we're all good,' Bryce Harper says
- Phillies star Bryce Harper said he feels fine after being hit in the face by a 96.9mph fastball Wednesday night, forcing him from Philadelphia's game against St. Louis. "Everything feels good," Harper said in a video he posted to Instagram. He said he got a CT...
Goodbye to One of Baseball's
'Most Uncompromising' Players
Oct 3, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Goodbye to One of Baseball's 'Most Uncompromising' Players
Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, powerhouse pitcher for St. Louis Cardinals, dies at 84
- Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, the dominating St. Louis Cardinals pitcher who won a record seven consecutive World Series starts and set a modern standard for excellence when he finished the 1968 season with a 1.12 ERA, died Friday. He was 84. The Cardinals confirmed Gibson's death shortly...
Lands in an
Sep 28, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
Home Run Lands in an Amazing Spot
Cardinals outfielder hits painting sitting in the upper deck
- Old-timey ballparks often had advertising signs in the outfield inviting players to take a shot at them, promising a free something as a reward. "Hit sign, win suit," hanging in right-center field of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, was a famous one, Dutch Baseball Hangouts reports. There doesn't...
Lou Brock of
a World Beyond
Jim Crow South
Sep 7, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
Radio Told Lou Brock of a World Beyond Jim Crow South
After hearing about Jackie Robinson, future Hall of Famer pursued his dream of baseball
- Growing up in a family of Arkansas sharecroppers, Lou Brock first heard about other possibilities at age 9. Harry Caray was calling a game on KMOX between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Brooklyn Dodgers, the team Jackie Robinson—the first Black player in the major leagues—played for. The...
Series Called Off
Aug 3, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
More Positive Tests, Another Series Called Off
As Cardinals quarantine, Jeter says Marlins 'let their guard down'
- Seven St. Louis Cardinals players and six staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, causing Major League Baseball to postpone the team's four-game series at Detroit. The series was to have been played Tuesday through Thursday. "We know this is very real, and we know it moves quickly...
Team Sends 254-Foot Message
Jul 23, 2020 6:54 PM CDT
Team Sends 254-Foot Message
MLB agrees to allow showings of support for social justice throughout the league
- The Red Sox have not always shown support for civil rights. Boston was the last MLB franchise to integrate, per
—in 1959, 12 years after Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. Just last month, the Red Sox apologized for racist attacks in Fenway Park against Black players...
They Wore Green T-Shirts
to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
May 7, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
They Wore Green T-Shirts to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
It leads to a wild meeting
- A heart recipient ran into his donor's family completely by chance at an MLB game—and it was all due to a bunch of T-shirts. CBS News reports that Savannah Chavez Roesch and family members went to the St. Louis Cardinals' "Transplant Awareness Day" on April 28, all...
Things Looked Dire for MLB
Team. Then a Cat Showed Up
Aug 10, 2017 9:19 AM CDT
Things Looked Dire for MLB Team. Then a Cat Showed Up
'Rally Cat' getting credit for dramatic St. Louis Cardinals victory
- The Cardinals needed help. They got "Rally Cat"—and now baseball has a new hero and meme. MLB.com explains: The St. Louis Cardinals trailed the Kansas City Royals 5-4 in the bottom of the sixth in a crucial playoff-race game Wednesday, but they had the bases loaded....
Report: Houston Astros
Got Hacked—by Cardinals
Jun 16, 2015 12:47 PM CDT
Report: Houston Astros Got Hacked—by Cardinals
FBI is investigating a very strange MLB scandal
- The FBI and the Justice Department are delving into what's beginning to look like something of a Watergate for Major League Baseball: The
New York Times
reports today on an investigation into whether the Houston Astros got hacked—by none other than front-office officials from the St. Louis Cardinals....
Dead in Crash at 22
Oct 27, 2014 8:27 AM CDT
Baseball's 'Rising Meteor' Dead in Crash at 22
Oscar Taveras, girlfriend suffer accident in Dominican Republic
- High hopes for St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras, 22, came to a tragic end yesterday when the rising slugger and his girlfriend were both killed in a car crash. The accident occurred on a Dominican Republic highway near Taveras' home, just weeks after he nailed a home run to...
3-Run Homer Sends
Giants to World Series
Oct 16, 2014 11:16 PM CDT
3-Run Homer Sends Giants to World Series
They beat Cardinals 6-3 in Game 5
- Travis Ishikawa hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning, sending the San Francisco Giants to the World Series with a 6-3 win over the St. Louis Cardinals. These every-other-year Giants clinched the NL Championship Series in Game 5 and will now face the Royals in an...
Emotional Red Sox Fans
Kiss Marathon Finish Line
Oct 31, 2013 7:59 AM CDT
Emotional Red Sox Fans Kiss Marathon Finish Line
Meanwhile, riots break out in New Hampshire, at UMass
- Celebrations—and, occasionally, riots—broke out all over Red Sox Nation following last night's World Series win, the team's first at Fenway since 1918. But one gathering had particular poignancy: Many of the fans pouring out of Fenway made their way to the Boston Marathon finish line, bringing...
St. Louis Man
Oct 31, 2013 12:10 AM CDT
St. Louis Man Busted Over World Series Tweets
His last job was as a social media manager
- A few years back, Bobby Metzinger's "social media expertise" landed him a job in the field; now, it's landed him in court. Metzinger, a 30-year-old former social media manager for a marketing company, is reportedly a St. Louis Cardinals fan. As the World Series kicked off, Metzinger...
Red Sox Win World Series
Oct 31, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
Red Sox Win World Series
Beat Cardinals 6-1; first championship at home since 1918
- David Ortiz and the Boston Red Sox romped to their third World Series championship in 10 seasons, thumping October ace Michael Wacha and the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 last night in Game 6. Shane Victorino drove in four runs and John Lackey pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning as...
Red Sox Ticket Prices
Are 5-Figure Crazy
Oct 30, 2013 12:58 PM CDT
Red Sox Ticket Prices Are 5-Figure Crazy
Fans shelling out for chance to see championship clinched
- Boston hasn't clinched a World Series at home in nearly a century, and that's translating into a big payday for those willing to sell tickets to tonight's Game Six. Consider that someone paid $24,000 on StubHub for two front-row tickets near home plate, reports ESPN . But...
Red Sox Take 3-2 Lead
Oct 29, 2013 12:01 AM CDT
Red Sox Take 3-2 Lead
They beat Cardinals 3-1 in Game 5
- Jon Lester pitched the Boston Red Sox within a whisker of yet another World Series championship. He bested Adam Wainwright once again, journeyman David Ross hit a tiebreaking double in the seventh inning, and the Red Sox downed the St. Louis Cardinals 3-1 last night to take a 3-2 Series...
Red Sox Win
Evens World Series
Oct 28, 2013 12:07 AM CDT
Red Sox Win Evens World Series
Jonny Gomes' 3-run homer helped win it, 4-2
- Jonny Gomes arrived at Busch Stadium expecting to watch Game 4 of the World Series from the Red Sox dugout. Halfway through batting practice, Boston's plans changed. Shane Victorino didn't recover in time from a bad back. With the Red Sox trailing St. Louis by two games to...
Gives St. Louis
Game 3 Win
Oct 27, 2013 12:17 AM CDT
Crazy Call Gives St. Louis Game 3 Win
Red Sox get called for obstruction, allowing game-winning run
- The Cardinals rushed to the plate to congratulate Allen Craig. The Red Sox stormed home to argue with the umpires. The fans seemed too startled to know what to do. In perhaps the wildest finish imaginable, the rare ruling against third baseman Will Middlebrooks allowed Craig to score with two...
to World Series
Oct 19, 2013 12:01 AM CDT
Cardinals Headed to World Series
After beating Dodgers last night
- Clayton Kershaw was long gone. Michael Wacha kept Dodgers hitters down, ignoring the surprisingly big lead and pitching as if the opposing ace was still dealing. The rookie left no doubt in a 9-0 rout last night that put the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series for the second...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
This Is the Best State for Retirees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.