Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline Gets Creative in Getting
Travelers to Take Middle Seat
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 29, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Airline Gets Creative in Getting Travelers to Take Middle Seat
Virgin Australia launches $147K lottery, with prizes each week for those who sit in least desirable spots
- Is there ever anyone who actually
the middle seat during a flight? If there is, we haven't met them, but that may soon change thanks to some coaxing on the matter by Virgin Australia. Per a recent social media poll offered by the airline, a paltry 0.6%...
Epic Mullet Contest Is Upon Us
Aug 18, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Epic Mullet Contest Is Upon Us
Finalists from 16 states are competing for best 'business in the front, party in the back'
- Summer will soon be coming to a close, but that doesn't mean the party's over quite yet—especially for everyone sporting a mullet, a haircut affectionately described as "business in the front, party in the back." That's because the USA Mullet Championships are currently underway,...
Betty White Gets Unusual
Honor in Minnesota
Feb 4, 2022 10:04 AM CST
Betty White Gets Unusual Honor in Minnesota
'Betty Whiteout' snowplow has been named after her in 2nd annual naming contest
- Betty White fans came through and donated to animal rights causes in her name after her death on New Year's Eve. Now, a new honor for the late comedian and actress, albeit a more unusual one. MPR News reports that Minnesota's Department of Transportation has held a snowplow-naming...
Can You Stay Away From Tech
for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Mar 22, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Can You Stay Away From Tech for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Reviews.org's 'detox' challenge offers the chance to ditch your phone, TV, other devices for cash prize
- Could you go a whole day without checking your smartphone, posting on Instagram, and watching TV? There could be $2,400 in it for you if you think you're up for the task. CNN reports on the 2021 Digital Detox Challenge being held by Reviews.org , which offers a...
Quest for Faster
COVID Test Spurs
Jul 29, 2020 11:34 AM CDT
Quest for Faster COVID Test Spurs $5M Contest
XPrize is offering big bucks to innovators who can come up with rapid-result virus testing
- Last week, the Trump administration's point man on COVID-19 testing acknowledged that turnaround times for test results have been too slow , noting that "we are never going to be happy with testing until we get turnaround times within 24 hours." Now, a nonprofit hopes to help expedite...
'Lift the Spirits'
Apr 25, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Andrew Lloyd Webber Offers Something to 'Lift the Spirits'
Win contest and you could sing for 13 seconds after 'Phantom' performance on Broadway or in London
- Andrew Lloyd Webber has launched a virtual competition that could lead to one fan singing on Broadway or the West End when musicals resume playing. The composer has invited singers to make up their own tiny vocal showcase at the end of the song "Think of Me" from
This Is the World's
Mar 6, 2020 12:43 PM CST
This Is the World's Best Cheese
Gruyere from Switzerland takes top prize at world's biggest cheese, butter, yogurt competition
- A Gruyere from Switzerland has been named the world's best cheese, chosen from a record number of entrants from 26 nations in the World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin. The cheese from Bern, Switzerland, made its maker, Michael Spycher of Mountain Dairy Fritzenhaus, a two-time winner. Spycher also won...
Rock's Baffling Inscription
May Finally Be Deciphered
Feb 25, 2020 12:18 PM CST
Rock's Baffling Inscription May Finally Be Deciphered
2 translations point to a man's death off French coast in the 1700s
- A mysterious 230-year-old message inscribed on a rock at the base of a seaside cliff in northwestern France has been deciphered, at least enough to convey a tragic death. The town of Plougastel-Daoulas in Brittany, which offered about $2,200 to anyone who could translate the 20-line message written in...
3 Dozen 'Lost' Corvettes
Are Up for Grabs
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 29, 2019 10:30 AM CST
3 Dozen 'Lost' Corvettes Are Up for Grabs
Sweepstakes will offer model for every production year from 1953 to 1989, for $3 a ticket
- In 1989, Long Island carpenter Dennis Amodeo won 36 Corvettes (one from each production year stretching back to 1953) in a VH1 contest—and what a long, strange trip it's been for the cars since. Now, after years of gathering dust in various New York City parking garages, the...
He Was Adopted
From the Streets.
He Just Won
a Big Prize
Jun 22, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
He Was Adopted From the Streets. He Just Won a Big Prize
Scamp the Tramp took home top honors in World's Ugliest Dog Contest in Petaluma, Calif.
- Scamp the Tramp's looks have made him a winner—but it wasn't a beauty contest. The snaggle-haired, bug-eyed pooch took the top prize Friday at the 31st annual World's Ugliest Dog contest in Petaluma, Calif., the AP reports. Owner Yvonne Morones of Santa Rosa won an appearance...
Reynolds Wrap PR Stunt
Might Appeal to Rib Lovers
Jun 18, 2019 11:21 AM CDT
Reynolds Wrap PR Stunt Might Appeal to Rib Lovers
Company will pay someone $10K to travel around for 2 weeks sampling spare ribs
- If your dream job in this gig economy consists of gnawing meat off the bone for a couple of weeks, you may be just the person Reynolds Wrap is looking for. Per CNN , the aluminum foil and plastic wrap brand is seeking someone to travel across the US for two...
Officials: Help Us Solve
This Strange Inscription
May 11, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Officials: Help Us Solve This Strange Inscription
It's about 20 lines on an old rock in France
- Anyone speak Breton or Basque? It might help in deciphering an old inscription on a rock in France—and local officials are prepared to pay handsomely for it, Fox News reports. The roughly person-sized rock was found on a remote beach in northwest France a few years ago. "ROC...
A Snake Needs
a Name: Your Ex's
Feb 5, 2019 8:40 AM CST
A Snake Needs a Name: Your Ex's
Aussie zoo contest lets you explain why its resident reptile deserves your ex's moniker
- The brown snake of Australia is among the most poisonous in the world, which is apparently why a zoo Down Under has decided to let you name one of them after your ex. That is, if you win Wild Life Sydney's Valentine's Day contest, which is giving competitors...
$11K for Daughter
at Birth, Thanks to KFC
Oct 31, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Parents Nab $11K for Daughter at Birth, Thanks to KFC
They just had to name her Harland
- A 7-week-old infant already has a large chunk of her college tuition covered thanks to impeccable timing and KFC. Finding that Colonel Sanders' first name, Harland, had become too unpopular ( BabyCenter.com puts it at the 5,501 spot for 2018), the company in August issued a simple challenge...
Six Flags Offers Macabre
Challenge, With a $300 Prize
Sep 24, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
Six Flags Offers Macabre Challenge, With a $300 Prize
If you can tough it out in a coffin for 30 hours, your wallet could get a cash infusion
- If you've been dying to take a 30-hour nap in a coffin and wouldn't mind getting $300 at the end of your repose, Six Flags St. Louis has just the Halloween-themed happening for you. Per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
, that's how much the theme park is offering...
KFC Offers $11K
for Naming Baby
After Col. Sanders
Aug 31, 2018 8:13 AM CDT
KFC Offers $11K for Naming Baby After Col. Sanders
They're worried about the decline in Harlands
- Not many people call their sons "Harland" these days—not even those who are big fans of Col. Harland Sanders' secret blend of 11 herbs and spices—and that's something KFC is trying to change. The company says it plans to mark what would have been its founder'...
Photographer Loses Award
Over Bizarre Allegation
Apr 27, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Photographer Loses Award Over Bizarre Allegation
Marcio Cabral accused of putting a stuffed anteater into his wildlife image
- It's that moment every wildlife photographer hopes for: an image in which the resident fauna wanders perfectly into frame. And that supposedly happened to such great effect for Marcio Cabral in Brazil's Emas National Park that his photo "The Night Raider," which depicts an anteater staring...
Airline Contest: Hole Up
in Iceland, Travel, Get Paid
Apr 24, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Airline Contest: Hole Up in Iceland, Travel, Get Paid
You'll have to win Wow Air's contest, though, and do quite a bit of content creation
- If you have a BFF and no big summer plans, an Icelandic airline is making a tempting offer. Per
, Wow Air will set up one lucky duo in a fully furnished apartment in downtown Reykjavik, which will serve as home base from June 1 to Aug. 15, with...
Let's Pick Worst Coverage of
'Your Favorite President (Me)'
Nov 27, 2017 10:10 AM CST
Let's Pick Worst Coverage of 'Your Favorite President (Me)'
Trump suggests contest in tweet
- President Trump is back in the White House after spending the Thanksgiving holiday at Mar-a-Lago, and he's back on the media attack, on Monday morning suggesting—"seemingly tongue-in-cheek," per Politico —that the media go head-to-head in an unusual contest: "We should have a contest as...
NASA Needs Your Help to
Nickname Tiny World
Nov 8, 2017 12:12 PM CST
NASA Needs Your Help to Nickname Tiny World
'2014 MU69' just not that catchy
- Heads up, armchair travelers. NASA is seeking a nickname for a tiny, icy world on the edge of the solar system that's the next destination for New Horizons, the spacecraft that surveyed Pluto. New Horizons whipped past Pluto two years ago, and now it's headed for 2014 MU69—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.