Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Employers Willing to Pay
Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Aug 20, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Employers Willing to Pay Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Salaries on job advertisements are going through the roof
- Recent reports like this one from Futurism about the AI "bubble" popping notwithstanding, some companies are willing to pay big bucks for a brain that can truly understand the best uses of artificial intelligence. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that major employers are chasing data scientists and experts in...
Finally, the Curves Flip
on Paychecks, Inflation
Jul 17, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
Finally, the Curves Flip on Paychecks, Inflation
After 2 years, wages hikes are finally rising faster than inflation
- Generally speaking, Americans have been getting pay raises over the last two years—it just hasn't felt like it because prices were rising even more. Finally, however, wage increases have begun to outpace inflation, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Average hourly wages, after being adjusted for inflation, rose 1....
Dog Walkers Probably
Make More Than You Think
Jan 28, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Dog Walkers Probably Make More Than You Think
In New York City, established ones pull in 6 figures
- The most lucrative side hustle in the nation is dog walking, according to the online tutoring service Preply . It pegs the average hourly wage for the task at $43, ahead of freelance design ($32) and freelance writing ($29). If that rate sounds high, a story in the
New York Times
Alex Jones Battles
for $1.3M Salary
Dec 20, 2022 12:53 PM CST
In Bankruptcy, Alex Jones Battles for $1.3M Salary
He asks judge to order Infowars' parent firm to go back to paying him $54K biweekly, up from $20K
- A salary of $10,000 a week isn't enough for a bankrupt Alex Jones, who has asked a judge for almost three times that amount. The Infowars host on Monday requested that federal bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez restore the $1.3 million annual salary he received from Infowars' parent...
In America's Largest City,
a Big Change in Job Listings
Nov 1, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
In America's Largest City, a Big Change in Job Listings
New York City now requires companies with 4 or more workers to disclose salary ranges
- It's not only a new month on Tuesday—it's the first day in the nation's largest city where job seekers will finally know how much most positions pay before they get too deep into the application process. A new law has officially gone into effect in which...
Current College Students'
Salary Expectations Are Wild
May 7, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Current College Students' Salary Expectations Are Wild
It's certainly a hot job market, but not quite that hot
- Today's college students have super high expectations when it comes to starting salaries, per CNBC, which cites a recent online survey by Real Estate Witch. The 1,000 undergrads it surveyed expect to rake in $103,880 to start. The reality looks pretty different: That figure is about $50,...
in Job Ads
Apr 28, 2022 4:16 PM CDT
NYC Wrestles With Salary Disclosure in Job Ads
'I deserve to know how much I can make,' waitress says
- Help wanted. The job: putting one of the nation's most far-reaching salary disclosure laws into practice. Location: New York City. Just four months ago, lawmakers overwhelmingly voted to require many ads for jobs in the city to include salary ranges, in the name of giving job applicants—particularly women...
You Could Make $100K
Working at Taco Bell
Jan 10, 2020 3:30 PM CST
You Could Make $100K Working at Taco Bell
Parent company to offer six-figure annual salary for general managers in select locations
- Dollar signs don't typically come to mind when one is considering a job in fast food, but during a tight labor market , Taco Bell's parent company is trying to change that. Bloomberg reports Yum! Brands will be testing out a six-figure annual salary—$100,000—for general managers...
You May Be Surprised by What
Walmart Store Managers Make
May 9, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
You May Be Surprised by What Walmart Store Managers Make
$175K a year, says company
- Walmart is out with a report on its social responsibility, and one stat in particular is getting a lot of attention. The chain says its store managers make an average of $175,000 year, reports CNN . Walmart has about 4,700 such managers, and the
Wall Street Journal
4 of Top 5 Highest-Paid TV
Actors Hail From One Show
Oct 25, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
4 of Top 5 Highest-Paid TV Actors Hail From One Show
'Big Bang Theory' actors are bringing home nice bank
- Talk about going out with a bang.
has put out its list of the highest-paid actors on TV, and four of the top five are from one hit show:
The Big Bang Theory
on CBS, with lead Jim Parsons banking a comfortable $26.5 million a year—not only...
Wall Street Pay Seems to
Have Long Forgotten Recession
Sep 18, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Wall Street Pay Seems to Have Long Forgotten Recession
Average salary for those in the NYC securities industry in NYC: $422,500, highest in a decade
- If you've been fretting over how the folks on Wall Street are doing lately, rest easy: The New York state comptroller says they're fine. Better than fine, actually, per Thomas DiNapoli, who notes the average securities-industry salary in New York last year rose 13%, to $422,500 (with...
In Silicon Valley,
This Job Pays a
Oct 28, 2017 2:27 PM CDT
In Silicon Valley, This Job Pays a 'Startling' Salary
Become an AI specialist, kids
US News & World Report
is out with a list of the 10 best jobs for millennials (No. 1 is web developer, No. 2 is dental hygienist), and says its list took into consideration the group's priorities. And, per a survey it did of 1,000 millennials, salary...
NFL Has a New
Player in History
Aug 29, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
NFL Has a New Highest-Paid Player in History
Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford gets 5-year contract extension for $135M
- On Monday, per NFL.com , the Detroit Lions "started gathering the money bags." That's because they decided to break out the checkbook to retain star quarterback Matthew Stafford in a contract extension that runs through 2022. The 29-year-old's new salary over that five-year period: $135 million,...
10 of Television's
Aug 23, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
10 of Television's Highest-Paid Hosts
Talk shows, reality shows, and more
- How much does it pay to be a TV host? Whether it's a reality series, news program, talk show, or game show,
runs down the salaries of 19 of the highest-paid hosts on TV. The top 10:
The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Jobs in US
Jan 11, 2017 11:57 AM CST
10 Best-Paying Jobs in US
They're all in the 6 figures
- Our only advice if you want to crack into the best-paying gigs in the US: Start filling out those med school applications. The top jobs on
US News & World Report's
2017 "Best Jobs" list are all within the medical or dental field, and all with median salaries...
10 Pricey Cities,
and the Salary You
Need to Live in Them
Nov 29, 2016 12:23 PM CST
10 Pricey Cities, and the Salary You Need to Live in Them
California claims the top 3—and you'll need a 6-figure annual paycheck there
- Buying a home has always been a big-ticket purchase, but as CNNMoney notes, a seller's market has made being able to afford one increasingly difficult. HSH.com looked at median house prices from the National Association of Realtors for the third quarter of this year, plus the average interest...
10 US Companies
Paying Highest Salaries
Apr 20, 2016 12:33 PM CDT
10 US Companies Paying Highest Salaries
Apparently, consulting is a hot field
- If asked to name the company that pays the highest salaries, you might naturally look toward Silicon Valley. But it turns out that a management consulting company based in Chicago is at the top of heap, reports the
. The stat comes from Glassdoor , which compiled a list of...
10 Highest Salaries
of World Leaders
Mar 21, 2016 12:59 PM CDT
10 Highest Salaries of World Leaders
Singapore pays the most, by a wide margin
- When taking into account just salaries, President Obama does pretty well when compared with his colleagues around the world. But three of his peers out-earn him, as this ranking from 24/7WallSt shows:
Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore, $1.76 million
Leung Chun-ying, Hong Kong, $576,000
Johann N. Schneider-Ammann, Switzerland, $460,
Meet the $100K-a-Year
Feb 24, 2016 1:03 PM CST
Meet the $100K-a-Year Garbage Collectors
It turns out the industry pays pretty well and wages are rising
- No one wants to be a doctor in New Zealand for $267,000 a year , but getting paid $100,000 to sift through giant rats, dead animals, and even human body parts is right up Noel Molina and Tony Sankar's alley. Both men made six figures as NYC garbage...
Pay Gap of
Aug 5, 2015 1:00 PM CDT
SEC: Companies Must Reveal Pay Gap of CEOs, Workers
SEC puts new rule into motion
- Those worried about income inequality will soon have some tangible new figures at their disposal: The SEC today ruled that public companies must start revealing the pay gap between the CEO and a typical worker, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. Specifically, companies have to disclose median employee compensation—the figure...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Judge: Blind Side Deal Never Should Have Happened
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.