Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tucker Carlson Mocks M&M
Characters' Modern Makeover
Jan 23, 2022 6:15 AM CST
Tucker Carlson Mocks M&M Characters' Modern Makeover
Company behind iconic candy strives for more diversity and equality
Fox News host Tucker Carlson dedicated part of his Friday show to mocking M&M's character update, zeroing in particularly on the more sensible footwear the green and brown candies now wear.
reports Carlson pointed out the green M&M had ditched her "sexy boots" because,...
In Deaths of Young
People, a Stark
Nov 2, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
In Deaths of Young People, a Stark Gender Gap
New research finds nearly 2/3 of deaths worldwide in 2019 in 10-24 age group were boys, young men
- A group of researchers examined long-term mortality trends among young people, and one finding especially sticks out. Per the study published Saturday in the
journal , males are more likely than their female counterparts to die young, and in many nations, that gender gulf is only getting bigger. The research—...
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was
Shocked by What She Found
Oct 31, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was Shocked by What She Found
Natalie Egan quickly discovered how differently she was treated as a woman
- When it comes to knowing how male and female entrepreneurs are treated differently, it's hard to argue that Natalie J. Egan knows it best. Egan was assigned male at birth and raised as a boy, and a decade ago she was a full-on "tech bro," writes Stephanie...
Looking for Gender Equality?
Here's Where to Go
Aug 23, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Looking for Gender Equality? Here's Where to Go
Nevada takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, while Utah comes in last
- The glass ceiling may have many deep cracks in it, but it hasn't yet been shattered—at least not in terms of the pay gap or women consistently finding equal footing in leadership positions. And the workplace isn't the only arena in which women are still battling gender...
When 2 Billionaires'
Exes Team Up? This
Jul 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
What Happens When 2 Billionaires' Exes Team Up? This
MacKenzie Scott, Melinda French Gates donate $40M to programs supporting gender equality
- We don't know (though we'd love to) what the flies on the wall hear when MacKenzie Scott and Melinda French Gates get together, but one of their recent conversations apparently took a philanthropic turn. The two billionaires—and exes of former Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft co-founder...
Athlete Fired Over
Pregnancy Battles Team
Mar 13, 2021 5:40 PM CST
Athlete Fired Over Pregnancy Battles Team
Italy debates lack of legal protections for women in sports
- An Italian volleyball player's legal fight with her club after she became pregnant and was fired has led to a debate that has involved national political leaders. Among other issues, the case highlights Italy's lack of legal protections for female professional athletes, the
New York Times
Taylor Swift Is,
Literally, 'The Man'
Feb 27, 2020 1:06 PM CST
Taylor Swift Is, Literally, 'The Man'
Singer transforms in self-directed music video about gender inequality
- Taylor Swift's new song "The Man" is a no-nonsense take on sexism, in which the singer envisions how life would be different if she were male. "If I was out flashin' my dollas, I'd be a b----, not a baller," she sings. As a man,...
Women's Soccer Players
Name Their Price in Suit
Feb 21, 2020 9:42 AM CST
Women's Soccer Players Name Their Price in Suit
They want $66M in damages from US Soccer Federation over unequal pay
- Players on the US women's national team are seeking more than $66 million in damages as part of their gender discrimination lawsuit against the US Soccer Federation, per the AP . The damages were included in slew of papers filed Thursday in US District Court in Los Angeles ahead of...
Equal Pay Is Coming.
In the Year 2277
Dec 18, 2019 1:47 PM CST
Equal Pay Is Coming. In the Year 2277
World Economic Forum is out with its annual Global Gender Gap Report
- The good news: A new report finds women and men in the workplace will eventually achieve gender parity. The bad news: That won't happen until right around 2277. The World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap Report finds that at the current rate of change, the gender pay gap...
Be Set to Change
the Constitution? Maybe
Nov 6, 2019 10:50 AM CST
Could Virginia Be Set to Change the Constitution? Maybe
With its legislature in Democratic hands, it's expected to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment
- Could Virginia's election results end up changing the US Constitution? Maybe. Democrats flipped both houses of the state legislature in Tuesday's election, giving them control of both the legislature and the governorship for the first time in 26 years—and they say they'll use that control to...
In 6 States, #FreeTheNipple
Spurs Reversal on Topless Ban
Sep 20, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
In 6 States, #FreeTheNipple Spurs Reversal on Topless Ban
Federal court nixes prohibition on women going without shirts in Colorado, 5 other states
- Two women sued the city of Fort Collins, Colo., for the right to go topless. Now, six states in total will reap the benefits of their ban-busting efforts after a federal appeals court overturned the city's prohibition on women sans shirts and the city opted not to appeal. KUTV...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States for Gender Equality
Aug 20, 2019 11:20 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Gender Equality
Maine is looking good for women's rights
- Despite making up more than half the US population, women are still lagging behind their male counterparts in pay and in leadership positions, and still claiming the lion's share of minimum-wage jobs. Some states are making better strides than others in closing the gender gap, per WalletHub , which looked...
Women With Male Twins
May End Up Paying a Price
in case you missed it
Mar 23, 2019 6:29 AM CDT
Women With Male Twins May End Up Paying a Price
They generally fare worse at school and at work, and testosterone in womb may play a role
- Women with a twin brother don't do as well in school and earn less money than women with a twin sister, and a new study suggests testosterone is one reason. They're less likely to marry and have children, as well. Researchers see the natural exposure to their brother'...
6 Nations Have Legal
Equality Among Sexes.
US Isn't Even Close
Feb 28, 2019 7:56 AM CST
6 Nations Have Legal Equality Among Sexes. US Isn't Even Close
'A typical economy only gives women three-quarters the rights of men'
- Women in Europe have it best, legally-speaking. Belgium, Denmark, France, Latvia, Luxembourg, and Sweden are the only countries that offer legal equality for men and women, according to a report by the World Bank. It looked at 35 indicators related to jobs, marriage, personal safety, property ownership, travel, inheritance, and...
The Women Lined Up to
Form a Chain. 5M of Them
Jan 2, 2019 8:00 AM CST
The Women Lined Up to Form a Chain. 5M of Them
A day later, 2 women managed to enter the Sabarimala shrine
- A 385-mile-long wall was erected in India on Tuesday, but it was one made of flesh and bone. The "women's wall" was a human chain that formed in the southern Indian state of Kerala in the face of the still-contentious situation involving the Sabarimala shrine. It's a...
Top Flutist Makes $250K
a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Dec 12, 2018 12:48 PM CST
Top Flutist Makes $250K a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Elizabeth Rowe argues the BSO has refused to pay her the same as her male colleague
- When the Boston Symphony Orchestra's selection committee heard 29-year-old Elizabeth Rowe audition, it didn't know her gender: As Geoff Edgers writes in a lengthy piece for the
, the orchestra's blind auditions dictate that a screen obscures the musician's identity. She landed her "dream...
NBA Star Responds After
Girl's Plea About His Shoes
Nov 30, 2018 9:55 AM CST
NBA Star Responds After Girl's Plea About His Shoes
Riley Morrison wanted to know why Steph Curry sneakers came only in 'boys' sizes
- Riley Morrison knew which shoes she wanted on her feet as she kicked off her basketball season. Unfortunately, she appeared not to have the right feet. "Girls want to rock the Curry 5s too," the 9-year-old Golden State Warriors fan from Napa, Calif., wrote in a letter to...
Trump to G-7:
Don't You Dare
Jun 9, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
Trump to G-7: Don't You Dare Retaliate Against Me
President tells other countries not to counter with tariffs
- Exiting a world summit with characteristic bravado, President Donald Trump delivered a stark warning Saturday to America's trading partners not to counter his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, the AP reports. Despite his sharp differences with US allies, the president insisted he has a "...
Time's Up on
May 14, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Salma Hayek: Time's Up on Actors' Fat Paychecks
Says Hollywood's leading men can't grab so much of the pie if they're serious about pay equality
- Fresh off a silent protest on the Cannes red carpet over the dearth of women-directed films to play the festival, Salma Hayek is beating the drum for pay equality, telling the
that the leading men in Hollywood need to take a pay cut: "Time's up. You had...
Michael B. Jordan
Mar 8, 2018 2:37 PM CST
Michael B. Jordan Answers Frances McDormand's Call
His production company will require inclusion riders for its projects
- Michael B. Jordan, obviously in need of some good press after indirectly breaking that poor woman's retainer , has announced his production company will require inclusion riders for all of its projects, Mashable reports. According to the
New York Times
star is the first major actor to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
Peloton Not Happy After Another TV Character's Heart Attack
Anti-Vax Dad 'Has Gone to the Edge of Death to Stick to His Guns'
It's the 'Most Valuable Single Coin Find in British History'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.