Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: Tulsa Race
Lawsuit Can Proceed
May 3, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Judge: Tulsa Race Massacre Reparations Lawsuit Can Proceed
Lawsuit seeks reparations for 1921 tragedy
- An Oklahoma judge ruled Monday that a lawsuit seeking reparations for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre can proceed, bringing new hope for some measure of justice for three survivors of the deadly racist rampage who are now over 100 years old and were in the courtroom for the decision. Tulsa...
Calif. Reparations Task Force:
Not All Blacks Are Eligible
Mar 30, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Calif. Reparations Task Force: Not All Blacks Are Eligible
Group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants
- California’s first-in-the-nation task force on reparations voted Tuesday to limit state compensation to the descendants of free and enslaved Black people who were in the US in the 19th century, narrowly rejecting a proposal to include all Black people. The vote was split 5-4, with those favoring a lineage...
Iraq Is Done Paying
Reparations to Kuwait
Feb 10, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Iraq Is Done Paying Reparations to Kuwait
It paid out $52B over 3 decades
- Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, and its forces were ousted by 1991. In the more than 30 years since, it has been paying reparations to Kuwait, a process that has finally officially finished. The UN commission set up to review the compensation demands and obtain and pay out the money...
White Woman on 40-Day
Hunger Strike Over Reparations
Jun 18, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
White Woman on 40-Day Hunger Strike Over Reparations
'My silence has allowed the systemic racism to continue,' says Rachelle Zola of Chicago
- Chicago resident Rachelle Zola believes so strongly in slavery reparations that she's willing to die for them. Did we mention she's a 73-year-old white woman who didn't have a Black friend until 2015? "Am I willing to die for my brothers and my sisters when there'...
Slave Owner's Descendant
Jun 1, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Slave Owner's Descendant Pays Reparations
Louisville nonprofit receives 6-figure check
- A Louisville nonprofit that helps marginalized people has received a six-figure reparations check from the descendant of a slave-holder. "It is a blessing for us but also definitely owed," says Taylor Ryan, executive director of Change Today, Change Tomorrow. The donation was so unexpected that the organization first...
Denver Addresses 'Wrongs
of the Past' With a Gift of Bison
Apr 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Denver Addresses 'Wrongs of the Past' With a Gift of Bison
Parks department is giving surplus bison to indigenous tribes over 10 years
- The city of Denver was in the game of selling bison. But in a new move, it's opting to gift bison to indigenous tribes across the country as a form of reparations. Denver Parks and Recreation keeps two bison herds descended from a small number of Yellowstone bison, and...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
in a US First
Mar 23, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
City Launches Reparations in a US First
Evanston program addresses housing discrimination
- The nation's first government reparations program has been approved, with a promise to distribute $10 million over the next decade to Black residents who suffered housing discrimination or their descendants. The City Council of Evanston, just north of Chicago, voted 8-1 Monday to implement the program,
Jesuits Promise $100M
for Slavery Reparations
Mar 16, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Jesuits Promise $100M for Slavery Reparations
Trust will benefit descendants of enslaved people, including those sold by Jesuits in 1838
- The Catholic order of Jesuit priests has pledged to raise $100 million for descendants of the enslaved people it owned in what the
New York Times
reports is "one of the largest efforts by an institution to atone for slavery." The order relied on slave labor and sales...
City Nears First Reparations
Mar 11, 2021 6:05 PM CST
City Nears First Reparations
Payments would amount to $25K per person, intended for housing
- An Illinois city has planned its first reparations to Black residents: $25,000 for housing assistance. The money will go to all Black people who lived in Evanston before 1969 and endured discriminatory housing practices by governments and banks, or who are descended from a Black resident who did, the...
LA County Wants to Right
'Terrible Wrong' Done to
Black Family in 1924
Mar 8, 2021 1:27 PM CST
LA County Wants to Right 'Terrible Wrong' Done to Black Family in 1924
Family was forced to give up beachfront land
- Los Angeles county officials may return a beachfront property that was seized from a Black family nearly a century ago. Manhattan Beach used eminent domain in 1924 to force Willa and Charles Bruce, the city's first Black landowners, off the land where they lived. The couple also ran a...
California Opens the
Door to Reparations
Oct 1, 2020 12:48 AM CDT
California Opens the Door to Reparations
Gov. Gavin Newsom signs law to create a task force
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday signed a law that is the first step toward the state potentially paying reparations to Black residents. The law calls for the creation of a nine-member task force to make recommendations as to how such reparations could be made, particularly to descendants of slaves,...
Sep 3, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Lawsuit Filed Over Century-Old 'Massacre in Slow Motion'
105-year-old leads plaintiffs in demanding reparations for destroying 'Black Wall Street'
- Lessie Benningfield "Mother" Randle was just a child when the Greenwood area of Tulsa, Okla., (aka "Black Wall Street") was attacked by a white mob and burned down in the spring of 1921, killing an estimated 300 Black Americans. Now a lawsuit led by Randle, 105—who...
This City Will Offer
Its Role in
Jul 16, 2020 1:30 AM CDT
This City Will Offer Reparations for Its Role in Slavery
Asheville, NC, makes historic move
- In a move
calls "extraordinary" and CNN refers to as "historic," the city of Asheville, North Carolina, on Tuesday voted to approve reparations for Black residents. The seven-member City Council unanimously voted for the move, with Keith Young, one of the two Black members of...
Jun 1, 2020 6:03 PM CDT
Robert Johnson Wants 'Wealth Transfer': $14T in Reparations
'Now is the time to go big,' BET founder says
- The nation needs to act boldly to avoid splitting into two unequal halves, Robert Johnson said Monday. "Wealth transfer is what's needed," the founder of Black Entertainment Television told CNBC , putting a price tag of $14 trillion on the reparations. "Now is the time to go...
Marianne Williamson's Words
on Reparations Made Waves
Jul 31, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
Marianne Williamson's Words on Reparations Made Waves
Her argument was hailed as 'powerful'
- In Tuesday night's Democratic debate, Marianne Williamson was asked about her stance on reparations—and some are hailing her answer as the best that's been given. In questioning her, Don Lemon stated that Williamson has been "calling for up to $500 billion in financial assistance. What makes...
McConnell: Obama and I Both
Have Slave-Owning Ancestors
Jul 10, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
McConnell: Obama and I Both Have Slave-Owning Ancestors
He says they're the same in that way, and on subject of reparations
- Mitch McConnell is opposed to reparations, a stance that he says is unchanged by some digging NBC News did. On Monday, it published a report based on 1850 and 1860 census records that showed two of his great-great-grandfathers were Alabama slave owners, having at least 14 slaves between them. CNN...
2 Big Names Heading to
Capitol to Talk Reparations
Jun 13, 2019 9:05 AM CDT
2 Big Names Heading to Capitol to Talk Reparations
Danny Glover, Ta-Nehisi Coates will testify at House Judiciary subcommittee hearing
- The topic of reparations for slavery is headed to Capitol Hill for its first hearing in more than a decade, with writer Ta-Nehisi Coates and actor Danny Glover set to testify before a House panel next Wednesday. The hearing's stated purpose: "to examine, through open and constructive discourse,...
Sold 272 Slaves.
Now, Students Want
to Pay $27.20 Fee
Apr 12, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Georgetown Once Sold 272 Slaves. Now, Students Want to Pay $27.20 Fee
Fee approved in referendum would benefit descendants of slaves college once sold
- Students at Georgetown University may soon see a new $27.20 fee pop up on their bill each semester, and it's one they voted to add. ABC News reports that undergrads at the Jesuit college voted Thursday, by an almost 2-to-1 margin, to approve a referendum that would mandate...
David Brooks Changes
His Mind on Reparations
Mar 8, 2019 2:50 PM CST
David Brooks Changes His Mind on Reparations
'Times' columnist thinks they might be the only way to heal the race divide
- Five years ago, one of the most prominent black pundits, Ta-Nehisi Coates, made the case that the US should pay reparations to African-Americans over slavery. At the time,
New York Times
columnist David Brooks, who is white, was skeptical. "What about the recent African immigrants?" he recalls thinking. "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
US Sues Steve Wynn, Says Casino Mogul Is Agent of China
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.