Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Roald Dahl's Publisher
Is Releasing Unaltered
Feb 24, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Roald Dahl's Publisher Is Releasing Unaltered 'Classic' Versions
Move follows uproar over changes
- The controversy over edits to Roald Dahl's children's books has been resolved in a way that would probably have amused the wry author himself: Publisher Puffin says it will sell two versions of the books and the 16-book Roald Dahl Classic Collection, with the original text, will "...
Sci-Fi Publisher Shuts Down
Submissions After AI Spam
Feb 22, 2023 10:15 AM CST
Sci-Fi Publisher Shuts Down Submissions After AI Spam
'Robot-generated literature' is filling Amazon's Kindle store, too
- The Hugo Award-winning magazine Clarkesworld is one of the few paying publishers to welcome open submissions for science fiction short stories from new writers, per the
. But it's now put an end to that practice, at least for a while, after receiving a flood of AI-generated pitches, which...
Stephen King Testifies
for Justice Department
Aug 2, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Stephen King Testifies for Justice Department
He was star witness in publishing antitrust trial
- Bestselling author Stephen King stepped up to the witness stand Tuesday in a federal antitrust trial . Tracing his own history, he laid out a portrait of a publishing industry that has become increasingly concentrated over the years while richly rewarding his creative endeavors, the AP reports. "My name is...
Stephen King Will
Be Star Witness in
Publishing Antitrust Trial
Aug 1, 2022 3:03 PM CDT
Stephen King Will Be Star Witness in Publishing Antitrust Trial
Government is trying to block merger of two of publishing's 'Big Five'
- The government and publishing titan Penguin Random House exchanged opening salvos in a federal antitrust trial Monday as the US seeks to block the biggest US book publisher from absorbing rival Simon & Schuster. The case comes as a key test of the Biden administration’s antitrust policy, the AP...
Widow of Pulitzer Winner
Getting His Books Reissued
Mar 24, 2022 2:19 PM CDT
Widow of Pulitzer Winner Getting His Books Reissued
She acquired rights to works by 'Mambo Kings' author Oscar Hijuelos
- From the moment the Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Oscar Hijuelos died in 2013, at age 62, his wife Lori Carlson-Hijuelos has been on a quest to make sure he wasn't forgotten. “Every day this has been my mission,” she said Thursday upon the announcement by Grand Central Publishing...
DOJ Doesn't Want
Publishing's 'Big Five'
Becoming 'Big Four'
Nov 3, 2021 2:43 AM CDT
DOJ Doesn't Want Publishing's 'Big Five' Becoming 'Big Four'
Files antitrust suit to stop major book publisher merger
- The Justice Department is suing to block a $2.2 billion book publishing deal that would have reshaped the industry, saying consolidation would hurt authors and, ultimately, readers, the AP reports. German media giant Bertelsmann's Penguin Random House, already the largest American publisher, wants to buy New York-based Simon...
The Publishing World
Has Been Battling a
Truly Bizarre Thief
Aug 21, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
The Publishing World Has Been Battling a Truly Bizarre Thief
Someone has been working to access manuscripts for years, but not for profit
- Reeves Wiedeman has spent years trying to unravel a literary-world mystery, and his lengthy recap of his digging for
New York Magazine
is confounding at times. As is the mystery. In simplest terms, for the past four years someone has been using somewhat sophisticated measures to try to steal book...
Family Stunned by
Scholastic CEO's Will
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Family Stunned by Scholastic CEO's Will
Control of the publishing giant left to Robinson's rumored romantic partner
- Scholastic, the world's largest publisher of children's books, was handed down from founder Maurice Robinson to son Richard Robinson in 1975—but when the younger Robinson died suddenly in June at age 84, relatives were stunned to discover that the business wasn't staying in the family. Robinson...
Lawsuit: Lohan Didn't
Write Book, Kept Advance
Sep 11, 2020 8:48 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Lohan Didn't Write Book, Kept Advance
HarperCollins wants its $365K back
- Lindsay Lohan accepted a $365,000 advance to write a book but never turned in a word, despite a 2-year extension, according to a lawsuit from HarperCollins. The publisher filed a lawsuit in New York Thursday, saying Lohan reneged on a 2014 contract to write a book and never returned...
Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Sep 3, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Author Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé to release 2 young adult books, one with Black protagonists
- A 21-year-old author has agreed to a seven-figure deal for a pair of young adult novels, per the AP . Feiwel and Friends, an imprint of Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, announced Thursday that it would publish Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé's highly anticipated debut, the...
Coronavirus May Have
Mar 19, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Coronavirus May Have Killed
Spring 2020 issue will be last of the year, possibly forever
- It may not be the first casualty that comes to mind in regard to the coronavirus outbreak, but the Spring 2020 issue of
magazine about to hit the stands will be the last one of the year—and maybe ever. Playboy Enterprises CEO Ben Kohn made the surprise announcement...
Kaepernick Still Wants to Play.
In the Meantime, a Memoir
Feb 13, 2020 12:34 PM CST
Kaepernick Still Wants to Play. In the Meantime, a Memoir
Book will be released via his newly launched Kaepernick Publishing company
- Colin Kaepernick still hasn't found a new home within the NFL, but that doesn't mean he's been sitting home twiddling his thumbs. The in-limbo quarterback announced on Thursday what's next on his plate: He's launching a new publishing company, Kaepernick Publishing, and will be releasing...
to Stop Publishing
Jul 4, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Magazine to Stop Publishing New Content
It will disappear from newsstands after August
- Alfred E. Neuman, it's time to worry. After reports Wednesday that
magazine was going to cease publication, owner DC Comics said the satirical publication will survive—but not as readers know it. The publisher says the 67-year-old magazine will no longer have new content, apart from end-of-year specials,...
Fires Top Editors
Feb 6, 2018 1:56 AM CST
Abruptly Fires Top Editors
Another editor stepped down in protest
is in the news again—and not for good reasons. The 85-year-old news magazine is engulfed in so much chaos and scandal that some staffers are wondering whether it will survive, according to
. On Monday editor-in-chief Bob Roe, executive editor Ken Li, and reporter Celeste Katz were...
Accused of Spanking Women,
Newspaper Exec Fesses Up
Jan 3, 2018 7:40 AM CST
Accused of Spanking Women, Newspaper Exec Fesses Up
Claims he spanked employee with doctor's approval
- A chairman of a newspaper publishing company facing allegations of assault related to at least four women admits he spanked a female employee, but says he did so with a doctor's approval. H. Brandt Ayers—the former publisher of Alabama's
, who now heads its publishing company—...
Time Inc. Sold
in Koch Deal
Nov 27, 2017 5:40 AM CST
Time Inc. Sold in Koch Deal
Conservative brothers fund Meredith acquisition
- The Koch brothers now have a major stake in the magazine industry. Meredith Corporation is buying Time Inc. in a $2.8 billion deal supported by a $650 million equity injection from the billionaire brothers, the BBC reports. The company, subject of two previous Meredith acquisition attempts, publishes titles including...
End of an Era:
Is for Sale
Sep 18, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
End of an Era:
Is for Sale
Financial pressures were too tough for the independent publisher
- After nearly a half-century tracking trends in rock and culture,
is up for sale. Trailblazing editor Jann Wenner, 71, tells the
New York Times
he is making way for new blood by hawking his 51% controlling stake in the magazine. "I love my job,” says Wenner,...
One of the Top
Gigs in Publishing
Is About to Open Up
Sep 7, 2017 12:50 PM CDT
One of the Top Gigs in Publishing Is About to Open Up
Graydon Carter is leaving 'Vanity Fair' after 25 years at the helm
New York Times
says it's not so much a "changing of the guard," but a "regal passage." Graydon Carter, the editor of
for the past quarter-century, is stepping down in December, vacating one of the most sought-after positions in publishing. "I...
'Most Feared Woman in
Publishing' Steps Down
Jul 28, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
'Most Feared Woman in Publishing' Steps Down
'NYT' book critic Michiko Kakutani will now write about politics and culture
- A heavyweight in publishing whose words could turn a book into a bestseller or a bomb is stepping down. Chief
New York Times
book critic Michiko Kakutani has taken a voluntary buyout and will step down from her post—a move that "will instantly change the shape of the...
Investors Snap Up $42M Stake
in Marijuana Magazine
Jun 2, 2017 12:02 AM CDT
Investors Snap Up $42M Stake in Marijuana Magazine
Heady times for High Times
- In another sign of marijuana's shift toward corporate respectability, a controlling interest in a magazine founded by an outlaw hippie pot smuggler in 1974 has been bought by a group of cannabis investors. The consortium that bought
includes Damian Marley, son of reggae legend Bob Marley, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.