Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Latest Drop in Life Expectancy
Hit White People the Hardest
Apr 8, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Latest Drop in Life Expectancy Hit White People the Hardest
It fell in 2021 for the second year in a row
- After 2020 saw the biggest one-year decline in US life expectancy since World War II, researchers hoped COVID vaccines would reverse the trend in 2021. Instead, life expectancy dropped for the second year in a row, according to a new study . Researchers say a 1.9-year drop in life expectancy...
US Life Expectancy Plunge
Is 'Basically Catastrophic'
Jul 21, 2021 12:54 AM CDT
US Life Expectancy Plunge Is 'Basically Catastrophic'
It fell by 1.5 years last year, even more for Black and Hispanic Americans
- US life expectancy fell by a year and a half in 2020, the largest one-year decline since World War II, public health officials said Wednesday. The decrease for both Black Americans and Hispanic Americans was even worse: three years. The drop spelled out by the Centers for Disease Control and...
on the HIV Front
Jul 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Good News on the HIV Front
Those with virus who receive treatment have same life expectancy as those without: researchers
- Patients who tested positive for HIV used to fear a "certain death sentence," as there's no cure for the virus, per HealthDay News . New research puts those fears to rest, with scientists saying that those with HIV in the US can now expect a similar life expectancy...
'Huge Decline' in
Feb 18, 2021 5:08 AM CST
CDC Reports 'Huge Decline' in Life Expectancy
It's down by a full year, according to data from the first half of 2020
- Life expectancy in the United States dropped a staggering one year during the first half of 2020 as the coronavirus pandemic caused its first wave of deaths, health officials are reporting. Minorities suffered the biggest impact, with Black Americans losing nearly three years and Hispanics nearly two years, according to...
Life Expectancy Has Dived,
With Huge Racial Disparities
Jan 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Life Expectancy Has Dived, With Huge Racial Disparities
2020 has seen the biggest US life expectancy drop in decades, researchers say
- The pandemic cut the average life expectancy of Americans by more than a year in 2020, the largest single-year decline in more than 40 years, according to a study released Thursday. The study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says that based on provisional estimates of...
CDC: COVID Could Kill
92K in the Next 3 Weeks
Jan 15, 2021 7:40 AM CST
CDC: COVID Could Kill 92K in the Next 3 Weeks
1 in 3 LA County residents has been infected
- While the start of mass vaccinations means that the end of the pandemic could be on the horizon, some brutal months lie ahead, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Thursday. Some 38,000 Americans died from COVID-19 in the first two weeks of 2021—almost 10% of the...
US Life Expectancy Rises
for First Time in 4 Years
Jan 30, 2020 9:46 AM CST
US Life Expectancy Rises for First Time in 4 Years
Cancer, overdose deaths fell in 2018
- Life expectancy in the United States is up for the first time in four years. The increase is small—just a month—but marks at least a temporary halt to a downward trend. The rise is due to lower death rates for cancer and drug overdoses, the AP reports. "...
Johnson's Role in Brexit
Predicted 22 Years Ago
Dec 25, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Johnson's Role in Brexit Predicted 22 Years Ago
Too bad flying cars are still a ways off
- We're nearly a fifth of the way into the 21st century with no flying cars in sight. That's one prediction for the year 2020 that's gone by the wayside. But other predictions—from Brexit to fitness trackers to self-driving cars—turned out to be right on the...
'Bleak' New Report on
Life Expectancy Is Out
Nov 26, 2019 7:26 PM CST
'Bleak' New Report on Life Expectancy Is Out
More Americans are dying young
- The Journal of the American Medical Association is out with a new report on US life expectancy and mortality rates that LiveScience calls "alarming" and the
calls "strikingly bleak": It found, among other things, that the highest relative jump in death rates from 2010 to 2017,...
Here's How Long
Spend in Nature
Jun 14, 2019 10:02 AM CDT
Here's How Long You Should Spend in Nature
2 hours a week appears to bring health benefits, say researchers
- If you've noticed you feel better after spending time communing with Mother Nature, you're not imagining it, say researchers—and there's a sweet spot in terms of what amount of time confers the most benefits. Figure about two hours a week. Time spent outside has been tied...
New US Life Expectancy
Statistics Are 'Sobering'
Nov 29, 2018 6:46 AM CST
New US Life Expectancy Statistics Are 'Sobering'
Life expectancy has fallen for a 3rd year in a row
- In 1918, the double whammy of World War I and the worldwide flu pandemic drove down American life expectancy for a third year in a row. A century later, another triple-year decline has been recorded—and this time, suicide and drug overdoses are major causes. According to the Centers for...
This Country Will Overtake
Japan in Life Expectancy
Oct 18, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
This Country Will Overtake Japan in Life Expectancy
Spain predicted to sit atop the rankings by 2040
- A new study looking at how life expectancy around the world will have changed by 2040 holds bad news for the US: Of all the high-income countries, the US will take the biggest drop, falling from 43rd place in 2016 to 64th place; the average US life expectancy in 2040...
Man in Charge of
US Mortality Stats
Is 'Really Alarmed'
Dec 21, 2017 5:03 AM CST
Man in Charge of US Mortality Stats Is 'Really Alarmed'
Life expectancy drops for second year in a row
- Robert Anderson, mortality statistics chief at the National Center for Health Statistics says he's "not prone to dramatic statements"—but he thinks we should be "really alarmed" by the finding that Americans' life expectancy has gone down for the second year in a row. The average...
The Cities in Every State Where
Americans Live the Shortest
Nov 30, 2017 5:27 PM CST
The Cities in Every State Where Americans Live the Shortest
Starting with 73.9 years in Gadsden, Alabama
- In 2015, life expectancy in the US was 78.8 years. But it varied widely for Americans living in different states—and even in different cities within the same state. Now 24/7 Wall St. has cataloged the city in every state with the lowest life expectancy—from 73.9 years...
the Way It Used To
May 11, 2017 10:14 AM CDT
HIV Doesn't Shorten Lifespans the Way It Used To
Researchers credit new antiretroviral drugs
- The average American born in 2015 is expected to live to 78.8 years of age . HIV patients aren't far behind. A
study finds a 20-year-old who begins treatment for HIV today can live to an estimated 78 years due in part to advances in antiretroviral therapy, reports...
Your Zip Code May Shave
20 Years Off Your Life
May 9, 2017 11:53 AM CDT
Your Zip Code May Shave 20 Years Off Your Life
New study finds a growing gap in life expectancy in the US
- People in high-income areas tend to live longer than those in low-income areas. While that's not so surprising, the resulting difference in lifespans within the US might be: In some counties, people live to about age 87, while in others the figure is only 67, according to a study...
States With Longest,
Shortest Life Expectancy
Feb 25, 2017 9:13 AM CST
States With Longest, Shortest Life Expectancy
It's Hawaii on one end, Mississippi on the other
- Some states fare better than others when it comes to the ultimate bottom line: life expectancy. Here are the worst performers, per an analysis at 24/7 Wall St :
Mississippi, 74.8 years
Alabama, 75. 4 years (tie)
West Virginia, 75.4 years (tie)
Louisiana, 75.8 years (tie)
Women on Brink of
Feb 22, 2017 7:11 AM CST
South Korean Women on Brink of Longevity Milestone
The US, meanwhile, could 'fall further behind'
- Life expectancy is expected to climb dramatically in most developed countries by 2030—just not in the United States. Using 21 mathematical models, scientists at Imperial College London and the WHO predict females born in the US in 2030 will live an average of 83 years compared to 81 in...
Taste for Beer May Be
Saving Lives of Russian Men
Dec 18, 2016 9:36 AM CST
Taste for Beer May Be Saving Lives of Russian Men
Brief booze crackdown in 1980s got young men to shift away from vodka
- Russian men have an unfortunate tradition of drinking themselves to an early death. As bleak as the number are—life expectancy for Russian men was 65 in 2012, compared with 76 in the US and 74 for China, notes Quartz —researchers have spotted improvement of late. And oddly, they...
American Lives Just
Got a Month Shorter
Dec 8, 2016 8:16 AM CST
American Lives Just Got a Month Shorter
US life expectancy falls for first time in 22 years
- More than a month was slashed from an average American life in 2015, according to National Center for Health Statistics data. A person born in the US in 2015 can expect to live 78.8 years, compared to 78.9 years in 2014. Life expectancy also fell from 76.5...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.