Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US, China Agree to
Work Together on Something
Nov 11, 2021 4:12 AM CST
US, China Agree to Work Together on Something
'We need to think big and be responsible,' Chinese envoy says at UN talks on climate change
- The world’s top carbon polluters, China and the United States, agreed Wednesday to increase their cooperation and speed up action to rein in climate-damaging emissions, signaling a mutual effort on global warming at a time of tension over their other disputes. In back-to-back news conferences at UN climate talks...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
EPA Cracking Down on Methane
Nov 2, 2021 3:08 AM CDT
EPA Cracking Down on Methane
EPA's 'historic action' will 'ensure robust and lasting cuts in pollution across the country'
- The Biden administration is launching a wide-ranging plan to reduce methane emissions, targeting a potent greenhouse gas that contributes significantly to global warming and packs a stronger short-term punch than even carbon dioxide. The plan was being announced Tuesday as President Biden wraps up a two-day appearance at a United...
Ship Finds Scary Gas
Bubbling From the Deep
Nov 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Ship Finds Scary Gas Bubbling From the Deep
A scientific team finds methane off the coast of Siberia
- Those are methane bubbles—and that's not good news. So said a group of international scientists after analyzing the Siberian coast along the Arctic Ocean, the Weather Channel reports. The 60-member team said the bubbles were mostly dissolving in water, but high methane levels at the surface suggest that...
'It Was Making Noises.
It Was Like Something Alive'
Sep 9, 2020 11:48 AM CDT
'It Was Making Noises. It Was Like Something Alive'
Crater 17 is discovered in Siberia
- "It was making noises. It was like something alive." And now there are at least 17 of them.
reports journalists with Russian news agency Vesti Yamal in July observed a 164-foot-deep crater on the Yamal Peninsula, the 17th such crater to have been found in a...
of Its Cows
Jul 14, 2020 2:18 PM CDT
Burger King Changes Diet of Its Cows
A little lemongrass could help combat climate change
- Burger King is staging an intervention with its cows, per the AP . The chain has rebalanced the daily diet of some of the cows by adding 100 grams of lemongrass in a bid to limit bovine contributions to climate change. By tweaking the diet, Burger King said Tuesday that it...
This EPA Rollback
Has a Twist
Aug 29, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
This EPA Rollback Has a Twist
Agency moves to loosen methane regulations, but big companies like Exxon oppose the idea
- The EPA has begun the process of overturning an Obama-era rule on the emission of methane at oil and gas operations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The move is in line with the Trump administration's anti-regulatory philosophy, but environmentalists are incensed because methane is seen as a major contributor...
New Sign of
Life on Mars
Jun 22, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Mars Rover Finds Possible New Sign of Life on Mars
The Curiosity rover detected a puff of gas
- It's been a while, but Martian methane is back. NASA's Curiosity rover detected rich amounts of methane in the planet's air on Wednesday, reigniting hope of life on Mars, the
New York Times
reports. "Given this surprising result, we've reorganized the weekend to run a...
Levels Haven't Been
This Bad in 3M Years
Nov 22, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Greenhouse Gas Levels Haven't Been This Bad in 3M Years
Researcher says the gravity has 'not sunk in'
- Congratulations, you've lived to see a planet transformed back to the Pliocene Epoch , at least in terms of greenhouse gas levels. "The window of opportunity for action is almost closed," says the UN's World Meteorological Organization after its annual assessment found concentrations of carbon dioxide in...
White House Takes Third Step
to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Sep 11, 2018 7:47 AM CDT
White House Takes Third Step to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Administration plans to weaken restrictions on the release of methane gas
- The Trump White House thinks the previous administration went overboard on rules about greenhouse gases, and it's about to make its third big move to correct that. After earlier moves on carbon dioxide pollution from autos and coal plants , this time it's all about methane, reports the
Scientists Trying a Cow Trick:
Adding Seaweed to Feed
Aug 31, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
Scientists Trying a Cow Trick: Adding Seaweed to Feed
The test will see whether it can reduce emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas
- University of California researchers are feeding seaweed to dairy cows in an attempt to make cattle more climate-friendly, per the AP . UC Davis is studying whether adding small amounts of seaweed to cattle feed can help reduce their emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that's released when cattle...
Court: EPA Can't Delay
Obama-Era Methane Rule
Jul 4, 2017 12:37 AM CDT
Court: EPA Can't Delay Obama-Era Methane Rule
Pruitt overstepped authority, DC court says
- A federal appeals court ruled Monday that the head of the Environmental Protection Agency overstepped his authority in trying to delay implementation of an Obama administration rule requiring oil and gas companies to monitor and reduce methane leaks. In a split decision, the three-judge panel from the US Court of...
Fails to Repeal
May 10, 2017 4:34 PM CDT
Surprise! Senate Fails to Repeal Obama-Era Rule
It was a rare victory for environmentalists during Trump presidency
- Something unprecedented under President Trump's watch happened Wednesday: The Senate failed to repeal an Obama-era rule. The
reports it was a surprise 49-51 defeat for a resolution that would have repealed a Bureau of Land Management rule curbing methane emissions, with Republicans John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and...
'Super Grass' to Reduce
From Belching Cows
Oct 16, 2016 2:59 PM CDT
'Super Grass' to Reduce Methane Emissions From Belching Cows
Researchers say they're able to genetically modify the grass for easier digestion
- The grass is about to get greener thanks to DNA technology out of Denmark. Researchers say they've genetically modified a "super grass" that is easier on cow's stomachs, thereby helping them digest the grass more easily and thus belch out less methane gas, reports the BBC . (No,...
Surprise Global Warming
Oct 1, 2016 2:54 PM CDT
Surprise Global Warming Contributor: Reservoirs
They produce as much yearly greenhouse gas emissions as Brazil
- There's a new enemy in the battle against global warming: reservoirs. Researchers studying more than 250 of the world's reservoirs found they produce the equivalent of 1 gigaton of carbon dioxide every year, the
reports. According to
, that's about the same amount of...
California Is Going
After Its Farting Cows
Sep 20, 2016 8:23 AM CDT
California Is Going After Its Farting Cows
It's all part of Gov. Jerry Brown's plan to fight climate change
- California Gov. Jerry Brown kept up his assault on climate change Monday, pushing through a law meant to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions from dairy farms and landfills. "You know, when Noah wanted to build his ark, most of the people laughed at him?" Brown said, per the
Spot Might Be
an Easy Fix
Aug 16, 2016 11:37 AM CDT
America's Worst Methane Hot Spot Might Be an Easy Fix
It's mostly tied to natural gas production: NASA study
- For more than a decade, scientists have been aware of a methane hot spot the size of Delaware in the Four Corners region of the US. Now they know what's responsible. A NASA study finds more than 250 sources of the leak in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah,...
Underwater 'Lost City' Is
Something Else Entirely
Jun 3, 2016 8:29 AM CDT
Underwater 'Lost City' Is Something Else Entirely
Looks like mystery off of Greek island comes down to methane
- A "lost city" discovered by snorkelers off the Greek island of Zakynthos isn't an underwater metropolis after all. "We investigated the site, which is between [6.5 to 16 feet] underwater, and found that it is actually a natural geologically occurring phenomenon," Julian Andrews, lead author...
to Seek Alien
Life on Mars
Mar 14, 2016 12:49 PM CDT
Spacecraft Blasts Off to Seek Alien Life on Mars
Russian and Euro space agencies send ExoMars craft to measure gases
- Anyone who glanced at the skies above Kazakhstan Monday morning may have seen the trails of a spacecraft headed out on a search for alien life on Mars. Per the
, the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter, a joint effort by the European Space Agency and Russia's Roscosmos agency, launched...
Jury Awards 2 Couples
$4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Mar 11, 2016 9:50 AM CST
Jury Awards 2 Couples $4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Couples argued methane reached water wells in Pennsylvania
- It was worth the wait: Two Pennsylvania couples were awarded $4.2 million on Thursday, more than six years after first accusing Cabot Oil & Gas of contaminating their well water. Originally among a group of 44 Susquehanna County residents who sued Cabot in 2009, these two couples—Nolen Scott...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Adventurer's 2nd Attempt to Cross Atlantic Ends in Death
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Deception or an Oversight? 2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.