Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Adds Emperor Penguins
to Threatened Species List
Oct 25, 2022 9:46 PM CDT
US Adds Emperor Penguins to Threatened Species List
Designation is a 'call to action,' says director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Emperor penguins, the species seen in
March of the Penguins
, are marching toward extinction due to habitat loss caused by climate change, scientists warn. The birds, the biggest species of penguin, were listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act on Tuesday, the
New York Times
on His Ankles
Aug 30, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Penguin That Was Walking on His Ankles Gets Help
Lucas at San Diego Zoo is outfitted with orthopedic footwear
- A member of the San Diego Zoo's African penguin colony has been fitted with orthopedic footwear to help it deal with a degenerative foot condition. The 4-year-old penguin named Lucas has lesions on his feet due to a chronic condition known as bumblefoot, which covers a range of avian...
Dozens of Penguins
Stung to Death by Bees
Sep 20, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
Dozens of Penguins Stung to Death by Bees
63 endangered African penguins were found Friday on a South African beach
- More than five dozen African penguins have met a sad end in South Africa, in what bird conservationists say is a most uncommon incident. AFP reports that 63 of the endangered birds were found dead Friday on Boulders Beach in Simon's Town, a suburb of Cape Town, and their...
Sep 17, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Children's Field Trip Yields New Penguin Species
Kairuku waewaeroa lived eons ago in New Zealand
- The Hamilton Junior Naturalist Club lived up to its name—its school-aged members are credited with discovering a new species of giant penguin. The discovery of the fossil actually occurred back in 2006 in New Zealand, but researchers didn't identify the new species until this week in the
Wipe Out Penguin Colony
Jun 21, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Tasmanian Devils Wipe Out Penguin Colony
They were introduced to Maria Island as insurance against extinction
- A plan to protect Tasmanian devils from extinction came at a hellish price for penguins and other birds on an Australian island. Researchers say that after a small number of the carnivorous marsupials were shipped to Maria Island, east of Tasmania, in 2012, the island's population of 3,000...
Same-Sex Penguins Have
Their Own Baby Chick
Aug 26, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Same-Sex Penguins Have Their Own Baby Chick
Electra and Viola are now parents
- Meet Electra and Viola: The female penguin couple is making headlines after welcoming a newly hatched chick to the world, CBS News reports. Seems they adopted an egg from other penguins—really, it was given to them—and incubated and hatched it as their own. According to NBC News , the...
Penguins' First Home
Isn't What We Thought
Aug 18, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Penguins' First Home Isn't What We Thought
Researchers trace origin to Australia, New Zealand, not Antarctica, some 22M years ago
- Penguins have had quite the journey, from Australia some 22 million years ago to modern-day Antarctica, according to a new study. With help from institutions around the world, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, analyzed blood and tissue samples from 18 species of penguins, finding that the animals originated...
Emperor Penguin Poop
Reveals Hidden Colonies
Aug 5, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Emperor Penguin Poop Reveals Hidden Colonies
On the downside, all are in fragile areas
- Good news following a massive breeding failure of emperor penguins: There are 20% more colonies in Antarctica than previously known. They were discovered thanks to patches of penguin poop so large they could be seen from space. The red-brown guano left behind on ice, captured in high-resolution images from a...
At Closed Aquarium,
Penguins Take a Stroll
Mar 17, 2020 7:57 AM CDT
At Closed Aquarium, Penguins Take a Stroll
With humans barred, Chicago's Shedd Aquarium lets them wander
- Chicago's Shedd Aquarium has provided a rare bright spot amid the coronavirus news: Video of penguins strolling around the joint, reports CNN . The museum is closed to the public for the near future, so the penguins' caretakers let them go on what they called a "field trip" to...
to Penguins, Hear a First
Feb 6, 2020 8:51 AM CST
Researchers Listen to Penguins, Hear a First
Traits such as shorter syllables found for first time outside primates
- When it comes to language, penguins and humans appear to have a thing or two in common. Researchers studied the calls of African penguins and found that their vocal patterns follow two distinct patterns that until now have never been seen outside primates, reports the
. First, the penguins' most...
Thousands of Penguin Chicks
Apr 25, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Catastrophe Drowned Thousands of Penguin Chicks
Emperor colony has suffered total breeding failure
- The second-biggest breeding ground for Antarctica's emperor penguins is now almost completely deserted after a 2016 catastrophe, researchers say. Satellite photos show that the Halley Bay colony in the Weddell Sea, where around 8% of the world's emperor penguins normally breed, disappeared almost overnight, the BBC reports. Researchers...
For Sale: One of
the Falkland Islands
Dec 13, 2018 11:10 AM CST
For Sale: One of the Falkland Islands
Name your price, because the sellers aren't sure
- Have a huge affinity for penguins? A family in Wales is accepting offers on one of the Falkland Islands, where tens of thousands of penguins from five species run amuck. An Important Bird and Biodiversity Area, as well as the third largest offshore island in the archipelago at 20 miles...
A Marine Park Was Abandoned
in January. Its Animals Remain
Aug 31, 2018 9:09 AM CDT
A Marine Park Was Abandoned in January. Its Animals Remain
Photos of dolphin, penguins spark public outcry at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium
- A solitary bottlenose dolphin swims in a small pool enclosed by a rusty railing. Not far away, dust-covered penguins wander over chunks of concrete and other debris. This has been life at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium since January when its owner abandoned it, citing a decline in visitors....
Biggest King Penguin Colony
Sees a Catastrophic Drop
Jul 31, 2018 8:46 AM CDT
Biggest King Penguin Colony Sees a Catastrophic Drop
Population at remote French island falls 90% in 3 decades
- The last time scientists visited the remote French island of Île aux Cochons in the Indian Ocean, they found more than 2 million king penguins, including 500,000 breeding pairs. That was 1982, and it gave the island the distinction of being the largest such colony in the world....
Colony of Penguins
Mar 2, 2018 11:38 AM CST
Scientists Find Huge, Secret Colony of Penguins
'Supercolony' of 1.5M Adélie penguins on Antarctic Peninsula is a major find
- More than 1 million penguins who've been hiding in a remote part of Antarctica were recently discovered thanks to images taken from space and ... their own poop. A study in the
journal reveals the Danger Islands find of more than 750,000 pairs of Adélie penguins—...
Ancient Penguins Were Much
Bigger Than Modern Ones
Dec 12, 2017 2:40 PM CST
Ancient Penguins Were Much Bigger Than Modern Ones
Kumimanu biceae stretched out to nearly 6 feet while swimming
- Fossils from New Zealand have revealed a giant penguin that was as big as a grown man, roughly the size of the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins, per the AP . The creature was slightly shorter in length and about 20 pounds heavier than the official stats for hockey star Sidney...
In Colony Where 36K Penguins
Mated, Just 2 Chicks Survived
Oct 13, 2017 5:20 PM CDT
In Colony Where 36K Penguins Mated, Just 2 Chicks Survived
'Catastrophic breeding event' strikes Adélie penguin colony in Antarctica
- About 18,000 breeding pairs of Adélie penguins mated on Petrels Island in Antarctica this year. Two chicks survived. Two. "It’s more like ‘Tarantino does
,' with dead penguin chicks strewn across a beach in Adélie Land," the
quotes the head...
There Are Millions
Than We Thought
Mar 16, 2017 7:15 AM CDT
There Are Millions More Penguins Than We Thought
Scientists undercounted the Adelie penguins on Antarctica by 3.6M
- In a rare bit of good news in the animal conservation world, scientists say they vastly lowballed the penguin population on Antarctica. The off-base estimate pertains to Adelie penguins—that's the adorable
variety—and it turns out there are 3.6 million more of them than previously...
Use of Actual Penguins
at NHL Game Rankles PETA
Mar 4, 2017 11:50 AM CST
Use of Actual Penguins at NHL Game Rankles PETA
They were 'terrorized,' says group, but zoo calls that nonsense
- The zoo calls it an "enrichment experience" for penguins, but PETA thinks it amounts to "shy animals terrorized." Such is the controversy over the NHL's decision to put live penguins on the ice before a rare outdoor game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers. In...
7 Penguins Mysteriously
Drowned at Canadian Zoo
Dec 10, 2016 10:05 AM CST
7 Penguins Mysteriously Drowned at Canadian Zoo
'Nothing we’ve ever encountered before'
- Employees at the Calgary Zoo made a horrifying discovery Thursday morning: seven dead Humboldt penguins, all apparently drowned in a 3-feet-deep pool. "Everybody here is pretty shaken up by it," animal care director Jamie Dorgan tells CBC News . The penguins were being kept in a holding area this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.