Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Mom Births 3rd Kid
at 62, Feels Awesome
Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM CDT
Mom Births 3rd Kid at 62, Feels Awesome
Lina Alvarez shakes off criticism that she's too old
- Lina Alvarez had her second child through IVF treatment at the age of 52, but "I always wanted to be a mother again." Last Monday, her wish came true when the 62-year-old doctor gave birth to a baby girl weighing 5.2 pounds via Caeserean section at a...
Boys Conceived via
May Inherit Dad's
Oct 6, 2016 8:37 AM CDT
Boys Conceived via Fertility Treatment May Inherit Dad's Poor Sperm
The findings are no reason for prospective parents to avoid ICSI, scientists say
- Men conceived using a common fertility treatment appear to pass lower-than-average fertility onto their sons, reports
New Scientist .
Researchers found that the first generation of male babies conceived via a technique called intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection had lower sperm counts when they reached adulthood. ICSI injects sperm directly into an egg...
There's Now a Tinder
of Sperm Donors
Oct 2, 2016 8:32 AM CDT
There's Now a Tinder of Sperm Donors
Gone are the days of flipping through binders of donor profiles
- Sperm banks are keeping up with the times, and it's driving some people crazy. Back in the old days (say, the dark ages of the 1990s), those on the hunt for the perfect sperm donor had the time-sucking task of flipping through binders of prospective donors to weed out...
How to Get Pregnant
at 50 Without IVF
Jun 7, 2016 6:47 AM CDT
How to Get Pregnant at 50 Without IVF
'Snowflake moms' find drastically better odds, lower costs via embryo adoption
- After multiple failed pregnancies, Maria Lancaster miscarried again when she was 46. At age 47, however, she finally gave birth to a daughter, though her pregnancy did not come through in vitro fertilization, or egg or sperm donation. Rather, Lancaster is a "snowflake mom," Ozy reports, having adopted...
Doctor Defends Decision to Help 72-Year-Old Give Birth
May 13, 2016 7:49 AM CDT
Doctor Defends Decision to Help 72-Year-Old Give Birth
Other doctors want to ban fertility treatments for women 50 and above
- An embryologist in India is defending his decision to help a 72-year-old woman give birth for the first time . Dr. Anurag Bishnoi tells the
he was at first hesitant to perform the IVF procedure for Daljinder Kaur and her 79-year-old husband at his clinic in Hisar, but went ahead...
Gives Birth at
May 10, 2016 11:03 AM CDT
First-Time Mom Gives Birth at Age 70
Indian woman and her husband, 79, used IVF
- An Indian woman says her life is now complete, at the age of 70, because she's finally given birth to her first baby. Daljinder Kaur and her 79-year-old husband have been married 46 years and had nearly given up on having a child, Kaur says. But they saw an...
Bill Would Give
$20K to Vets
Apr 13, 2016 8:29 AM CDT
Bill Would Give $20K to Vets With Infertility, Groin Injuries
Money could help start family, or be 'used at the veteran's discretion'
- Veterans unable to have children because of a service-related injury would receive $20,000 under a bill introduced to the House of Representatives on Monday. Rep. Jeff Miller, who proposed the bill, says the funds would help compensate nearly 1,400 veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars who suffered...
Latest Twitter Fight
Feb 25, 2016 6:35 PM CST
Chrissy Teigen's Latest Twitter Fight Involves Embryos
Pregnant supermodel puts haters in their place on Twitter
- Turns out a lot of people don't understand how IVF works, a fact Chrissy Teigen recently learned after explaining to
why she and husband John Legend chose to implant a female embryo for her first pregnancy. As Mary Elizabeth Williams points out on Salon , Twitter exploded after the...
Meet World's 1st IVF Puppies
Dec 10, 2015 9:17 AM CST
Meet World's 1st IVF Puppies
7 Cornell mutts hailed as 'huge breakthrough' that eluded scientists for 40 years
- A surrogate hound gave birth to seven half-pound puppies on July 10, an everyday occurrence save that the squirmy furballs were the first dogs ever conceived in a test tube. "We each took a puppy and rubbed it with a little towel and when it started to squiggle and...
With Ex Must Be
Nov 19, 2015 6:36 AM CST
Judge Orders Woman's Embryos With Ex Must Be 'Thawed, Discarded'
Landmark ruling says woman, 46, can't force ex-husband into fatherhood
- The frozen embryos that a 46-year-old woman says are her only chance to have children must be destroyed because of a contract she signed years ago, a San Francisco judge has decided. Mimi Lee and then-husband Stephen Findley froze five embryos after she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010....
Photo of Baby in
Syringe Heart Goes Viral
Oct 9, 2015 10:37 AM CDT
Photo of Baby in Syringe Heart Goes Viral
Facebook pic speaks to both struggles, joys of IVF treatments
- A photo that depicts the struggle, pain, and (hopefully) eventual joy of IVF treatments has gone viral on social media thanks to a nationwide fertility clinic. The picture posted Oct. 5 on the Sher Institutes Facebook page shows a baby girl lying on a white backdrop, in the middle of...
Trans Teen Freezes Eggs
So He Can Be a Father
Aug 3, 2015 7:25 AM CDT
Trans Teen Freezes Eggs So He Can Be a Father
Cole Carman, 18, says he knows he wants to be a dad some day
- An 18-year-old San Francisco-area transgender teen may be the first to have had eggs harvested prior to transition. Having decided last year to go from Nicole to Cole Carman, the teen decided to harvest his eggs first so it would be easier to have his own biological children down the...
the Chance to
Jun 16, 2015 7:53 AM CDT
Woman Denied the Chance to Carry Her Grandchild
Court rules UK mother can't use dead daughter's eggs
- When a UK woman was diagnosed with bowel cancer at age 23, her parents say there was one thing she wanted if she didn't survive: to have her mom carry her babies . But the High Court in London has dashed that dream after ruling that the fertilized eggs of...
Why I'm Suing
for Our Embryos
Apr 30, 2015 1:07 PM CDT
Vergara’s Ex: Why I'm Suing for Our Embryos
Nick Loeb: A woman can go ahead with pregnancy against man's wishes, so why not a man?
- The ex-fiance of
actress Sofia Vergara took to the pages of the
New York Times
today to defend his decision to go to court over the embryos they created together. Florida businessman Nick Loeb wants custody of the two female embryos, now frozen in a clinic, in order...
Dolce & Gabbana:
Boycotting Us Is
Mar 18, 2015 9:29 AM CDT
Dolce & Gabbana: Boycotting Us Is 'Medieval'
Italian designers talk to CNN
- Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are continuing their explanation tour after calling kids born via IVF " synthetic ." In an interview today, Dolce told CNN that though he does "believe in the traditional family," he doesn't judge those who use IVF. His fashion designer partner Gabbana,...
Elton John: Boycott
Dolce & Gabbana
Mar 16, 2015 1:37 AM CDT
Elton John: Boycott Dolce & Gabbana
Singer outraged by 'synthetic children' comments
- The gay men behind fashion icon Dolce & Gabbana have spoken out against gay couples having children—and Elton John says he will never wear their clothes again. The singer joined gay rights groups in calling for a boycott of the label after Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana criticized IVF...
Britain First Nation
to Allow 3-Parent Babies
Feb 24, 2015 4:02 PM CST
Britain First Nation to Allow 3-Parent Babies
First such child could arrive in fall of 2016
- At some point around the fall of 2016, a baby will emerge in Britain who will have a biological mom and dad, plus another biological mom. The British parliament today approved an IVF technique that will produce such "three-parent" babies, reports Reuters . Known more formally as mitochondrial transfer, the...
Mom: Why I Adopted
a Frozen Embryo
Nov 17, 2014 5:33 PM CST
Mom: Why I Adopted a Frozen Embryo
Embryos 'deserve an opportunity to grow and live and be loved,' she says
- Liz Krainman calls her 4-month-old baby girl a "snowflake," but not because she looks so cute. Little Sammy is actually one of several children in Krainman's embryo adoption group with that nickname. "We sometimes lovingly call our frozen embryos snowflakes," she says. "It fits...
Sex Will Soon Be
Nov 10, 2014 11:07 AM CST
Sex Will Soon Be Purely Recreational
Not procreational, claims chemist who helped invent the pill
- One of the co-inventors of the birth control pill is impregnating the Internet with a new theory: that his own invention will be pretty much obsolete by the year 2050 and that sex will be reserved for recreational, rather than procreational, purposes. In an interview with the
, Austrian-American chemist...
Dad Who Left Down's Baby
Is a Pedophile: Sources
Aug 5, 2014 1:32 AM CDT
Dad Who Left Down's Baby Is a Pedophile: Sources
Meanwhile, Australia may intervene in the case
- Since the story of baby Gammy went viral several days ago, the Australian government has announced that it is looking into whether it can intervene in a case described by the Australian immigration minister as "very, very murky," particularly because it took place in another country, reports the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.