Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
15 Months After
His Daughter Is Born
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
15 Months After Olympian's Death, His Daughter Is Born
Alex Pullin's widow gave birth to Minnie Alex in Australia through IVF procedure
- Fifteen months after the sudden death of Olympic gold medalist Alex "Chumpy" Pullin, his newborn daughter has arrived. The Australian snowboarder's widow, Ellidy Pullin, on Thursday announced the birth of Minnie Alex, conceived through in vitro fertilization. "Your Dad and I have been dreaming of you for...
Is Even More So
for Single Women
Jun 15, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
'Emotionally Devastating' IVF Is Even More So for Single Women
Alicia Lombardini advocates in the 'NYT' to ease logistical, financial obstacles for moms on their own
- Alicia Lombardini became a mother right before the pandemic hit, and she's now the proud mom of an 18-month-old son. But hers wasn't a typical or easy journey to motherhood, and she's hoping maybe someday it will be for single moms like herself, she writes in the...
A Letter About Their Embryos
Sends Couple Into a Tailspin
Apr 18, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
A Letter About Their Embryos Sends Couple Into a Tailspin
Hospital allegedly knew for years Elaine Meyer and Barry Prizant's 2 embryos were missing
- Over the decade beginning in 2010, a study determined that 133 lawsuits had been filed in connection with lost, discarded, or damaged frozen embryos. Dr. Elaine Meyer and Dr. Barry Prizant are engaged in one such lawsuit, and Katherine Rosman dives into their story for the
New York Times
After IVF and
She Had a Big
Decision to Make
Apr 12, 2021 4:02 AM CDT
After IVF and Genetic Testing, She Had a Big Decision to Make
Implant the 'mosaic' embryo or not?
- Jacquelynn Kerubo made a big decision right before New York City went into lockdown: to transfer a "mosaic" embryo into her uterus. As she explains in an essay for the
New York Times
, "mosaic" has been used since 2015 to describe the roughly 20% of IVF embryos that...
'We Were Unable to Fertilize
Any of the Eggs'
Nov 16, 2020 2:03 PM CST
'We Were Unable to Fertilize Any of the Eggs'
Lena Dunham reveals how her one shot at IVF ended in failure
- In 2018, actress Lena Dunham had her uterus , her cervix, and one of her ovaries removed at the age of 31 because of long-standing health issues. That was "the moment I lost my fertility," she writes in an essay at
. Dunham immediately began looking into adoption,...
She's 68, He's 77.
Meet Their New Twins
Apr 23, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
She's 68, He's 77. Meet Their New Twins
Nigeria's Margaret and Noah Adenuga have babies via IVF, nearly 50 years after they started trying
- A Nigerian woman has become a first-time mother at age 68. Margaret Adenuga—perhaps the oldest first-time mother in Africa, per the
—underwent three in vitro fertilization procedures before finding success with her fourth. She and husband Noah Adenuga, 77, then welcomed twins at the Lagos University Teaching...
3 Cheetahs, 2 Cubs,
One 'Big Breakthrough'
Feb 25, 2020 9:50 AM CST
3 Cheetahs, 2 Cubs, One 'Big Breakthrough'
Birth via surrogacy allows for greater genetic diversity
- Ohio has welcomed two new scientific marvels—the first ever cheetah cubs born via in vitro fertilization. Cheetahs are a vulnerable species, with only 7,500 left in the wild. They also have low genetic diversity owing to a mass die-off about 10,000 years ago. That's made breeding...
Man Has Stroke Hours After
70-Something Wife Has Twins
Sep 6, 2019 9:11 AM CDT
Man Has Stroke Hours After 70-Something Wife Has Twins
'It is all in the hands of God,' new dad had said just after girls were born
- For years, Mangayamma Yaramati and her husband deeply longed to have children, but they were never able to conceive—and in their village in India's Andhra Pradesh state, that was a dark mark against them. "They would call me a childless lady," the septuagenarian tells the BBC...
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents
Brings Devastating Surprise
Aug 9, 2019 1:46 PM CDT
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents Brings Devastating Surprise
Rebecca Cartellone, conceived via IVF, finds out dad isn't biological father due to apparent clinic mix-up
- A 24-year-old Ohio woman who thought an Ancestry.com kit would make a great Christmas gift for her parents is now wracked with guilt, and her family thrown into turmoil, after the DNA test revealed her dad isn't her biological father. Per the
New York Daily News
, the family...
Aug 4, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
UK Doctor Offers Women 'Life-Changing' Surgery
Simon Fishel pioneers new treatment to delay menopause
- A fertility expert in Britain is offering a procedure that purports to fend off menopause and let women have children later in life, the
reports. A company formed by Simon Fishel, who developed IVF, offers the procedure to women until they're around 40. It sounds simple: Doctors fool...
Suit: Couple Went
to 'Shocked' in
Jul 8, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Suit: Couple Went From 'Ecstatic' to 'Shocked' in IVF Mix-Up
Mother gave birth to twins who turned out to be the genetic children of 2 other couples
- A couple from Flushing, NY, went to a fertility clinic that self-billed as the "mecca of reproductive medicine," and they did succeed in getting pregnant with twins—but then had to give both babies up after what the Daily Beast calls a "mind-boggling mix-up." That's...
In Medical First,
Carry Their Baby
Oct 29, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
In Medical First, Couple Both Carry Their Baby
Ashleigh and Bliss Coulter explain how Effortless Reciprocal IVF made it possible
- A same-sex Texas couple explained to ABC News what the traditional route for birthing a baby in their situation is: Use donor sperm, have one woman carry the baby, and have the other woman adopt the child. Ashleigh and Bliss Coulter of Mountain Springs mixed up that process in a...
Couple Quit Jobs, Became
Scientists to Save Her Life
Jun 20, 2017 8:52 AM CDT
Couple Quit Jobs, Became Scientists to Save Her Life
'You're healthy, and then you're falling off a cliff'
- When Sonia Vallabh watched her mother die a horrible death in 2010, caught in limbo between sleep and wakefulness that led to severe dementia, she and her husband, Eric Minikel, wanted answers. The autopsy revealed a harrowing diagnosis: a prion disease called fatal familial insomnia, or FFI, reports the
Looking for a Sperm or Egg
Donor? Swipe Right
May 11, 2017 7:17 AM CDT
Looking for a Sperm or Egg Donor? Swipe Right
The new app 'Just a Baby' has some people on edge
- Want a baby but not able to conceive biologically? Know how to use Tinder? A new app called Just a Baby now lets people browse sperm donors, egg donors, surrogates, co-parents, and even old-fashioned partners as if they're dating online, and it's ruffling a few feathers, per NBC...
Company in Australia Turning
IVF Embryos Into Jewelry
May 5, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Company in Australia Turning IVF Embryos Into Jewelry
'My embryos were my babies—frozen in time'
- A company in Australia that has been making jewelry and various mementos for parents using actual raw materials from development—think breast milk, hair, the placenta and cord stump—has taken things a step further, and critics are appalled. Baby Bee Hummingbirds, started by midwife Amy McGlade in 2014, was...
Couple's Pregnancy Reveal
Features 452 Needles
in case you missed it
Feb 25, 2017 7:15 AM CST
Couple's Pregnancy Reveal Features 452 Needles
Duke and Diana Walker are due in August
- After more than two years of failed attempts, a woman in Texas is finally pregnant, and her heartfelt Facebook post has gone viral with thousands of likes and hundreds of comments. It took, as Lauren Walker writes, more than 953 days, 452 needles, two IVF rounds, multiple miscarriages, and thousands...
3-Parent Baby Is
Here, but for
Jan 18, 2017 9:17 AM CST
World's 2nd 3-Parent Baby Is Here, but for Different Reason
And via a slightly different method carried out in Ukraine
- Another reported first in the nascent world of three-parent babies: an infant born to a previously infertile couple, the BBC reports. The baby born Jan. 5 in Ukraine was created via pronuclear transfer , explained in more detail by New Scientist : The mother's egg and a donor's egg are...
Clinic: Wrong Man's
Sperm May Have
Fertilized 26 Eggs
Dec 28, 2016 3:49 AM CST
Clinic: Wrong Man's Sperm May Have Fertilized 26 Eggs
Dutch clinic blames 'procedural error'
- A man who sent his sperm to a Dutch IVF lab may have ended up with many more offspring than he bargained for. In what the University Medical Center in Utrecht says was a "procedural error," sperm from a single client may have been accidentally used to fertilize...
Mom Births 3rd Kid
at 62, Feels Awesome
Oct 19, 2016 9:11 AM CDT
Mom Births 3rd Kid at 62, Feels Awesome
Lina Alvarez shakes off criticism that she's too old
- Lina Alvarez had her second child through IVF treatment at the age of 52, but "I always wanted to be a mother again." Last Monday, her wish came true when the 62-year-old doctor gave birth to a baby girl weighing 5.2 pounds via Caeserean section at a...
Boys Conceived via
May Inherit Dad's
Oct 6, 2016 8:37 AM CDT
Boys Conceived via Fertility Treatment May Inherit Dad's Poor Sperm
The findings are no reason for prospective parents to avoid ICSI, scientists say
- Men conceived using a common fertility treatment appear to pass lower-than-average fertility onto their sons, reports
New Scientist .
Researchers found that the first generation of male babies conceived via a technique called intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection had lower sperm counts when they reached adulthood. ICSI injects sperm directly into an egg...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.