Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Apr 28, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Biden Offers Free Preschool, Community College
Sweeping 'American Families Plan' expected to cost $1.8T over 10 years
- Students would get four extra years of paid education under the White House's new $1.8 trillion spending and tax plan, which would also provide paid family and medical leave for US workers. The "American Families Plan" may irk not only Republicans, but progressive Democrats, too. Here's...
No One Knew How Much She
Had. 17 Schools Just Found Out
Dec 27, 2019 10:19 AM CST
No One Knew How Much She Had. 17 Schools Just Found Out
Eva Gordon, who died at 105, donated $550K each to 17 community colleges in Washington state
- Nearly 20 community colleges in Washington state received a surprise gift this holiday season: checks for $550,000 each, sent from the estate of a 105-year-old Seattle woman who died last year. Per the
, the nearly $10 million left to 17 area schools last month by Eva Gordon came...
Cops: Ex-Students Use Bat to
Put Duck 'Out of Its Misery'
Jun 19, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Cops: Ex-Students Use Bat to Put Duck 'Out of Its Misery'
19-year-olds charged with aggravated animal cruelty in Alabama
- Former student baseball players at an Alabama community college are accused of pulling a duck from a campus pond and beating it with a bat. Following a party, Thomas "Landon" Grant and Jacob Frye allegedly beat the white Muscovy duck found on the campus of Central Alabama Community College...
Video Surfaces of Angry Prof
Telling Student, 'F--- Your Life'
Apr 21, 2018 2:10 PM CDT
Video Surfaces of Angry Prof Telling Student, 'F--- Your Life'
Howard Finkelstein didn't exactly hold back
- A professor's profanity-laced outburst has prompted an apology from his school and shed light on his ongoing political feud with a conservative student, the
reports. Howard Finkelstein, who teaches sociology at Brookdale Community College in New Jersey, was recently caught on video shouting "f--- your life" at...
Student: College Denied Me Entry Over Religion
Apr 28, 2014 4:06 PM CDT
Student: College Denied Me Entry Over Religion
Brandon Jenkins says community college discriminated against him
- A prospective student at a community college in Baltimore says his outspoken religious beliefs ruined his application—so he's suing the school and its president, Opposing Views reports. Brandon Jenkins interviewed for the Community College of Baltimore County's radiation therapy program, and was asked, "What is the...
White Man Hints
He's Black to Win
Nov 10, 2013 2:55 PM CST
White Man Hints He's Black to Win Houston Vote
Anti-gay activist's deceptive flyers didn't show his face
- To win over voters in a largely black Democratic district, conservative white Republican Dave Wilson opted for misleading tactics: The candidate for the Houston Community College Board of Trustees never showed his face on election materials, instead decorating them with African-American faces he'd pulled from the Internet, he acknowledges....
Community Colleges Are
a Segregated Mess
May 28, 2013 11:48 AM CDT
Community Colleges Are a Segregated Mess
Hamilton Nolan: Racial inequality is rampant, and we need to fix it
- America's community colleges have big problems with segregation and racial inequality, according to two new studies noted by Inside Higher Ed . Consider that mostly white colleges average 85 students per staff, but mostly black ones average nearly 300. Think of it this way, suggests Hamilton Nolan at Gawker : These...
Oct 27, 2011 3:47 PM CDT
Colleges Launch Midnight Classes
Oversubscribed schools aim to accommodate unusual schedules
- College students are famous for burning the midnight oil; now, professors are joining them. A "handful of colleges" throughout the US are offering late-night classes for their students—particularly those with kids or late shifts at work,
reports. Leading the way are community colleges where enrollment is...
9 Big Names
Who Went to
Oct 6, 2010 9:41 AM CDT
9 Big Names Who Went to Community College
In honor of the White House Community College Summit
- President Obama recently called community colleges the "unsung heroes of America’s education system." Huffington Post rounds up nine notable community college attendees who prove his point:
: Attended Santa Monica College before becoming the Terminator, and then the Governator.
: He transferred from Chabot College
School Will Refund Tuition
to Jobless Students
Apr 8, 2010 5:24 PM CDT
School Will Refund Tuition to Jobless Students
Community college offers money-back guarantee
- A community college in Michigan is offering what may be a first-in-the-nation deal: a money-back guarantee to students if they don't land a job. Lansing Community College promises to return the $2,400 students will shell out for six-week training courses in May. Graduates—they'll get certificates, not degrees—will...
High Schools to
Feb 17, 2010 11:17 AM CST
High Schools to Graduate Sophomores
It's part of a European-style experiment to improve education
- About 100 high schools in 8 states will soon embark on a European experiment that could have students going off to community college after 10th grade. Sophomores who pass a battery of board examinations would be free to graduate early, or stay to prepare for application for more selective universities....
Obama to Propose
Jul 14, 2009 8:26 AM CDT
Obama to Propose $12B Community College Boost
- Barack Obama will announce a plan today to pump $12 billion into community colleges over the next 10 years,
reports. Most of the money—$9 billion—would reward programs that bolster graduation rates, or help graduates find local jobs. Another $2.5 billion would help seed renovation projects,...
Popular on Newser
Suspect's Parents Were Called to School Hours Before Shooting
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
Official on Killing of Music Exec's Wife: Probably Not Random
'I Didn't Pull the Trigger,' Baldwin Says About Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.