Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Universal Picks Up Another
Huge Music Catalog
Feb 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Universal Picks Up Another Huge Music Catalog
Music group just bought the rights to Neil Diamond's song collection, including 'Sweet Caroline'
- Universal Music Group has been on a shopping spree. First it scooped up the rights to Bob Dylan's lyrics and compositions , then Sting's song catalog , and now it's got a new acquisition to brag about. The music corporation has purchased the rights to Neil Diamond's entire...
Who Put Ed
Sheeran on the
Map Dead at 31
Feb 21, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Music Visionary Who Put Ed Sheeran on the Map Dead at 31
Mom of UK's Jamal Edwards said he died after a sudden illness
- Jamal Edwards, a British music entrepreneur who championed UK rap and grime and helped launch the careers of artists including Ed Sheeran, Jessie J, and Stormzy, has died. He was 31. His mother, broadcaster Brenda Edwards, said Monday that her son died the day before after a sudden illness but...
60 Years of
Jan 24, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Dylan Sells 60 Years of Recordings
Sony's Columbia Records, which signed the artist in 1961, will control the catalog
- Bob Dylan has sold all of his recordings, though they're not really going anywhere. Sony Music Group's Columbia Records is the new owner, Dylan announced Monday. Columbia "has been nothing but good to me for many, many years and a whole lot of records," his statement...
2021's Big Record Scratch:
Vinyl Takes the Edge Over CDs
Jan 12, 2022 3:16 PM CST
2021's Big Record Scratch: Vinyl Takes the Edge Over CDs
For first time in 30-year tracking history, the analog medium outpaced compact discs
- Streaming seems to be where it's at these days, but music formats of yesteryear haven't given up the ghost quite yet. MRC Data, which has been tracking music data since 1991, has released its annual report , and it notes that 2021 was a "game-changing" year. First,...
Britney Talks Losing Faith in
God, 'Awful Things' Done to Her
Dec 28, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Britney Talks Losing Faith in God, 'Awful Things' Done to Her
40-year-old star says conservatorship experience made her 'scared' of music industry
- Britney Spears is thrilled that her longtime conservatorship is finally coming to a close , but that doesn't mean it hasn't left deep scars. On Monday, the 40-year-old singer posted what the
calls a "lengthy note" on Instagram that shares her feelings of late, especially regarding why...
James Brown's Estate Goes
Way of Whitney and Prince's
Dec 13, 2021 2:34 PM CST
James Brown's Estate Goes Way of Whitney and Prince's
Primary New Wave buys control for $90M
- When James Brown died 15 years ago, his will made clear that he wanted most of his money to go to needy children. A new deal is a huge step in making that happen and ending what the
New York Times
describes as "one of the longest and most...
Drake Withdraws His
2 Grammy Nominations
Dec 6, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Drake Withdraws His 2 Grammy Nominations
Move appears to be unprecedented
: Drake has abruptly withdrawn his two nominations for the 2022 Grammy Awards. Sources tell
that the Canadian star and his management have asked for "Certified Lover Boy," nominated for best rap album, and song "Way 2 Sexy," nominated for best rap performance, to be...
Grammy Nominations Are Out
Nov 23, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Grammy Nominations Are Out
Louis CK up for best comedy album, while Jon Batiste has most music nominations
- This year's Grammy nominations are out, and Jon Batiste might be the biggest surprise. The multi-genre performer and recent Oscar winner made such an impression on voters that he scored the most nominations with 11 on Tuesday, per the AP . Batiste earned an album of the year nod for...
BTS Wins Big at AMAs: 'This
Whole Thing Is a Miracle'
Nov 22, 2021 7:18 AM CST
BTS Wins Big at AMAs: 'This Whole Thing Is a Miracle'
Big night for South Korean boy band at American Music Awards, including first artist of the year win
- South Korean superstars BTS were crowned artist of the year at the American Music Awards on Sunday, brushing aside challenges from Taylor Swift, Drake, and The Weeknd as they took home a total of three awards, teamed up with Coldplay for a raucous " My Universe," and closed the...
Fellow Musicians Perplexed
by Clapton's Hard Turn
Nov 13, 2021 12:54 PM CST
Fellow Musicians Perplexed by Clapton's Hard Turn
Robert Cray, for example, has cut ties over Clapton's stance against COVID lockdowns
- Eric Clapton has emerged as a loud voice opposed to COVID lockdowns and vaccine mandates , along with fellow music legend Van Morrison. As a result, he's attracted a ton of criticism , prompting a lengthy
story by Geoff Edgers on the subject headlined, "What happened to Eric...
'Queen of Rock 'n' Roll' Sells
Music Rights for Big Bucks
Oct 6, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
'Queen of Rock 'n' Roll' Sells Music Rights for Big Bucks
Tina Turner has released her 60-year music catalog to BMG, for a reported $50M
- It's a seller's market, apparently—at least if you're Tina Turner. The 81-year-old Grammy Award winner, the "Queen of Rock 'n' Roll" responsible for such hits as "What's Love Got to Do With It" and "Private Dancer," has released the rights...
Chuck E. Weiss
'Was More Than
the Title of
Jul 31, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Chuck E. Weiss 'Was More Than the Title of a Song'
'Chuck E.'s in Love,' about a music industry character, launched Rickie Lee Jones' career
- Chuck E. Weiss, a musician and—with close friends Rickie Lee Jones and Tom Waits—prankish presence in Los Angeles music circles who inspired Jones' biggest hit, has died. He was 76. His family said the cause was kidney failure, the
New York Times
reports. Weiss was a songwriter, drummer,...
David Crosby Just
Sold His Music Catalog
Mar 4, 2021 6:20 PM CST
David Crosby Just Sold His Music Catalog
He says the move is a financial necessity, especially amid COVID
- Add David Crosby to the list of artists selling their music catalogs. Giants including Bob Dylan , Lindsey Buckingham, the Beach Boys, and Cosby's old collaborator Neil Young have sold all or parts of their catalogs recently, notes the
. Crosby sold his rights to music exec Irving Azoff's...
Just Sold His
Dec 7, 2020 6:51 AM CST
Bob Dylan Just Sold His Whole Song Catalog
Universal Music Group likely paid hundreds of millions
- Bob Dylan just became a very, very rich man. The music legend has sold his entire song catalog to Universal Music Publishing Group, and early reports say the deal is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Terms were not disclosed for the catalog spanning six decades and more than 600...
The Last Time This Happened
in Music, Mr. Mister Was Hot
Sep 14, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
The Last Time This Happened in Music, Mr. Mister Was Hot
Sales of vinyl records overtake those of CDs for first time since 1986
- If there's no sound in the world sweeter to you than the comforting scratch of a record player needle making contact with a 12-inch LP, you're not alone. The Recording Industry Association of America has released its midyear revenue stats, and in what Bloomberg calls "a key...
Gets Her Due
in case you missed it
Jul 18, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
'Leather Tuscadero' Gets Her Due
Documentary pays tribute to pioneering female rocker Suzi Quatro
- She's a pioneering female rocker from Detroit named Suzi Quatro who gained a worldwide following in the 1970s with a string of hits like "Can the Can." Quatro's name, however, is recognized more outside the US than in her native country. In fact, she is perhaps...
Jun 15, 2020 12:28 PM CDT
Amy Grant Thanks Fans After 'Miraculous' Recovery
Singer shares photos of scars after open-heart surgery
- Singer Amy Grant is sharing personal photos unusual in the celeb world: They show her scars from open-heart surgery earlier this month. The 59-year-old shared them online, along with thanks to all her supporters who sent well wishes, reports
. The Grammy winner says her recovery "has honestly felt...
The Grammys Just Ditched
One Word From a Big Award
Jun 12, 2020 9:24 AM CDT
The Grammys Just Ditched One Word From a Big Award
Best 'urban' album category for awards show to be renamed best 'progressive R&B'
- The Recording Academy is making a slew of changes to its Grammy Awards process, but one tweak is especially making headlines: There won't be be a "best urban contemporary album" category anymore. Instead, per an academy release Wednesday, that award will now be for the "best progressive...
Music Industry Plans
Jun 1, 2020 5:04 PM CDT
Music Industry Plans 'Blackout Tuesday'
Daylong pause will honor George Floyd and other victims of police violence
- The music industry is heeding a call to make Tuesday "Blackout Tuesday" to honor George Floyd and other black citizens who have died at the hands of police. The initiative, #TheShowMustBePaused ," was started by Atlantic Records execs Brianna Agyemang and Jamila Thomas to address " the long-standing racism...
With 'Oprah's Bank Account,'
a Record for Drake
Mar 17, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
With 'Oprah's Bank Account,' a Record for Drake
Canadian rapper has his 208th song on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- The cast of
had a good run, but Drake's now taking over. The AP reports that the Canadian rapper's latest single, "Oprah's Bank Account," performed with Lil Yachty and DaBaby, debuted at No. 89 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it his 208th...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Everybody's Talking About 'Quiet Quitting'
Captain at Kobe Bryant Crash Leaves Stand 3 Times
She Was Gardening Before She Was Killed by an Alligator
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.