Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: DUI Suspect Wouldn't
Pull His Horse Over
Oct 17, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
Cops: DUI Suspect Wouldn't Pull His Horse Over
Police in Whittier say he was 'galloping through traffic' before arrest
- An allegedly drunken horseman was taken into custody Saturday, say police in Whittier, California. In an Instagram post , police said there was an unusual—and brief—pursuit after they encountered an "intoxicated person on a horse, galloping through traffic," who refused to pull over, the
Los Angeles Times
for 8 Years
Is Back Home
Oct 10, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Horse That Ran Wild for 8 Years Is Back Home
'It's crazy,' says owner of Mongo in Utah
- It's not too unusual to hear stories about lost dogs being reunited with their families after long stretches. Cats, too . But stallions? Such is the case in northwestern Utah, where Mongo the horse is back home after eight years of roaming the desert with his wild cousins, reports KUTV...
May 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
'I'm not going to die today' a determined 16-year-old Dalton Bruton thought
- For 16-year-old Dalton Bruton, being around horses has always been a "calming experience." Not so much last week, when the Oklahoma teen got kicked so hard by one that he ended up having a heart attack. KFOR reports on the May 19 incident on the horse farm owned...
Horse Bolts From Track,
Hits Highway Instead
Aug 23, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Horse Bolts From Track, Hits Highway Instead
Bold and Bossy is recuperating after her Kentucky escape
- A 2-year-old filly got loose before a race at a Kentucky track and ran onto a highway alongside cars before being corralled over the weekend, per the AP . The filly named Bold and Bossy got loose on her way to the starting gate at Ellis Park on Saturday, and jockey...
On the Western Plains, a
Debate on America's Mustangs
Aug 18, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
On the Western Plains, a Debate on America's Mustangs
Roundups of free-ranging horses said to be due to drought, but activists are protesting the move
- The sound of the helicopter propeller thundered across the horizon as it dipped down toward mustangs dotting the golden brown plain. The horses burst into a gallop at the machine's approach, their high-pitched whinnies rising into the dry air. That helicopter roundup in the mountains of western Utah removed...
Man Arrested After
Deputies Find Horse in House
Aug 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Man Arrested After Deputies Find Horse in House
The South Carolina man was also wanted for throwing mandolin into pasture
- When the deputies saw horse feces on the living room floor, they pieced together the mystery pretty quickly. They showed up at a house in Oconee, SC, summoned by a woman who saw her nephew ride by and remembered that her nephew definitely didn’t own a horse. They tried...
Newest Olympic Medalist
Has a Famous Dad
Aug 7, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Newest Olympic Medalist Has a Famous Dad
Jessica Springsteen, daughter of Bruce, and US equestrian team take home the silver
- The Springsteen family has gone platinum many times over. Time to make space for a little silver, too. Jessica Springsteen and the US equestrian jumping team came up just short of Olympic gold, falling to Sweden in a jump-off Saturday night that still left the Americans with a record 10th...
Aug 30, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Horses Are Mutilated by the Dozen —But Why?
France pursues attackers who might be responding to social-media 'challenges'
- Armed with knives, some knowledge of their prey, and a large dose of cruelty, attackers are going after horses and ponies in pastures across France in what may be ritual mutilations, the AP reports. Police are stymied by the macabre attacks that include slashings and worse. Most often, an ear—...
Horse Race Takes Bizarre
Turn in the Home Stretch
Jul 11, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
River Crossroad Rvf held a commanding lead entering the home stretch
- A race horse with a seven-length lead in the home stretch gave West Virginia fans quite the surprise Thursday night, NBC News reports. River Crossroad Rvf, a 3-year-old in only his second race, bolted off the track at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. The colt left via a cutout...
Rider and Horse Die in
Devastating Equestrian Fall
Mar 2, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rider and Horse Die in Devastating Equestrian Fall
Rotational fall claims the lives of Katharine Morel and Kerry On
- A Florida equestrian competition turned doubly devastating Saturday after a rider and her horse both died in a terrible fall. Katharine Morel of Canada was riding Kerry On on a cross-country course at Altoona's Rocking Horse Winter III Horse Trials, a United States Eventing Association-recognized competition, when the horse...
Aren't Home Grown
Feb 17, 2020 6:34 AM CST
North Korea's Purebred Horses Aren't Home Grown
Customs data shows the country imported a dozen last year
- An odd footnote to the story of Kim Jong Un's 2019 rides up a snowy sacred mountain on a white horse: It turns out North Korea imported 12 purebred horses from Russia in October, the same month as Kim's first ride. Reuters reports that customs data shows the...
'It Looked Like a Battlefield':
15 Horses Shot in Kentucky
in case you missed it
Dec 21, 2019 2:45 PM CST
'It Looked Like a Battlefield': 15 Horses Shot in Kentucky
Free-roaming animals may have been hunted
- For years, you could visit a rehabilitated strip mine in the woods in eastern Kentucky and be greeted by horses, some of which would walk right up to you. That might not be the case anymore. Authorities say at least 15 of the free-roaming horses were shot and killed with...
Lead to a
Nov 20, 2019 1:54 PM CST
50-Year-Old Accusations Lead to a Lifetime Ban
George Morris, 81, was a legend in equestrian sport
- A giant of equestrian sport has been banned for life over sexual-misconduct allegations dating back some 50 years, the
New York Times
reports. The expulsion of George Morris, 81, was announced Tuesday. "No matter how big a figure is in their sport, or how old the allegations, nobody is...
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule'
After Latest Horse Death
Oct 26, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule' After Latest Horse Death
Mare put down after hurting legs at Santa Anita Park, 35th horse to die since December
- Yet another horse has died at Santa Anita Park, adding more fuel to the fire on why the racetrack in Arcadia, Calif., is still running. Per FOX 5 , GQ Covergirl, said to be a 5- or 6-year-old mare, hurt both front legs during training Friday, and the veterinarian on the...
Kim Jong Un's
Oct 16, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Putin-esque Pics Invite 'Wonder,' Speculation
North Korean leader's ride on a horse up a sacred snowy mountain could portend big news—or not
- In his downtime, Russian leader Vladimir Putin likes to appear, often shirtless, in photos engaged in various manly activities, including fishing and horseback riding . Now North Korea's Kim Jong Un is getting into the act, shown in a series of new images riding a horse up a sacred snowy...
Against All Odds, Bettor
Wins Stunning $2.2M
Sep 28, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Against All Odds, Bettor Wins Stunning $2.2M
Someone turns 20-cent wager into a huge jackpot
- A bettor at Gulfstream Park turned a 20-cent, six-race wager into more than $2.2 million Friday, the AP reports. Someone hit Gulfstream's Rainbow 6 on Friday, the first time that the total jackpot had been claimed for that wager since July 6. To win the entire jackpot, someone...
Barron Trump Gets Rather
Large Gift From Mongolia
Aug 1, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Barron Trump Gets Rather Large Gift From Mongolia
Horse named Victory will stay in the country
- It's a "Victory" for President Trump's youngest son, Barron. The White House says Mongolia's government has gifted the 13-year-old with a horse, which has been named Victory. Press secretary Stephanie Grisham says the Trumps are "very grateful" for the horse, which will remain in Mongolia....
On 2nd Day of Racing
Season: 2 Fatalities
Jul 19, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
On 2nd Day of Racing Season: 2 Fatalities
Young horses broke their necks in head-on collision at Del Mar
- Two jockeys are fine—but their horses are not—after a head-on collision at California's Del Mar racetrack. The two horses died from broken necks after one made a U-turn during a training run around 6:45am Thursday—just the second day of the 2019 Del Mar racing season,...
Santa Anita Bans Top
Trainer After Horse Death
Jun 22, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Santa Anita Bans Top Trainer After Horse Death
Jerry Hollendorfer calls it 'pretty extreme'
- Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer has been banned by the ownership of Santa Anita after a fourth horse from his stable has died—and the 30th overall—at the Southern California track, the AP reports. The Stronch Group, which owns the track, says Saturday in a statement that Hollendorfer...
26th Horse in 5 Months
Dies at Santa Anita
May 27, 2019 12:17 AM CDT
26th Horse in 5 Months Dies at Santa Anita
Kochees is 3rd horse to die in 9 days
- Santa Anita had its third horse death in nine days when a gelding pulled up during a race and was euthanized. Twenty-six horses have died in racing or training at the southern California track since Dec. 26, reports the AP . The
Los Angeles Times
reports that Kochees sustained an injury...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.