Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Students Arrive
2 Minutes Late,
Professor Calls Cops
Apr 1, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
After Students Arrive 2 Minutes Late, Professor Calls Cops
Georgia State University says it is looking into incident
- Georgia State University students are speaking out against a professor who called the police on two students who arrived two minutes late for her English class. In a TikTok video posted Wednesday, student Bria Blake says professor Carissa Gray asked her classmates Taylor and Kamryn to leave after they arrived...
USU Chief Quits After Remarks
to Football Players Surface
Dec 17, 2021 5:05 AM CST
USU Chief Quits After Remarks to Football Players Surface
Earl Morris told Aggies players Mormon women might falsely accuse them of rape
- The chief of police at Utah State University resigned Thursday—two days after a speech he made to football players about sexual assault was described in a federal lawsuit against the school. In a recording of the speech made to Aggies players this fall, Chief Earl Morris can be heard...
Police: 'By the Grace of God,'
2 Students Thwarted Plan
Dec 10, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Police: 'By the Grace of God,' 2 Students Thwarted Plan
Police say John Hagins was talking about carrying out a mass shooting on Snapchat
- Two students at a private university in Florida may have thwarted a mass shooting Thursday by saying something. That's according to police, who responded to their alert and arrested a student carrying a collapsible semi-automatic rifle, six loaded magazines, and plenty more ammunition in his backpack. John Hagins, a...
University Urges Professors
to Volunteer in Dining Halls
Oct 20, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
University Urges Professors to Volunteer in Dining Halls
MSU is extremely short on staff
- Hey, professor, hold the mayo! Short of help, Michigan State University is making an urgent plea to staff to volunteer in campus dining halls, including faculty. MSU's residential services department has already asked 132 full-time employees to work eight hours a week, the
Lansing State Journal
reports, but it'...
This Is the Best
College in America
Oct 18, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
This Is the Best College in America
MIT is No. 1, at least according to WalletHub
- Deciding where to go to college can be a stressful time for high schoolers. For those who are determined to attend the best of the best, WalletHub tries to ease the burden by sifting through all the pros and cons of more than 1,000 higher-ed institutions. The site looked...
Prof to Teach
Class on Drake,
Sep 27, 2021 8:13 AM CDT
Prof to Teach Class on Drake, the Weeknd: 'It's Time'
Canada's Ryerson University is offering deep-dive course on Toronto-born performers
- If you're an undergrad at the Creative School, part of Toronto's Ryerson University, there's a class on Aubrey Drake Graham and Abel Makkonen Tesfaye that may interest you. Don't recognize those names? You likely know them as Drake and the Weeknd, and if you want to...
8 Dead in Russia Mass Shooting
Sep 20, 2021 7:16 AM CDT
8 Dead in Russia Mass Shooting
Shooting on Monday at Russia's Perm State University also left dozens injured
- A gunman opened fire at a university in Russia on Monday morning, leaving eight people dead and 24 hurt, officials said. The gunman was detained after the shooting at Perm State University, according to the Interior Ministry. There was no immediate information on his identity or possible motive, per the...
Limbs of College
Turn Blue After
Aug 24, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Limbs of College Students, Staff Turn Blue After Apparent Poisoning
Police are trying to figure out how 7 were sickened at Germany's Darmstadt Technical University
- Students and staff at a German college had a quite unpleasant dining experience this week, and now local police suspect poisoning. Cops in the state of Hesse say seven students and employees took ill Monday on the Lichtwiese campus of Darmstadt Technical University, reports the
. Police suspect that milk...
No More 'Freshmen' or
'Sophomores' at Penn State
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
No More 'Freshmen' or 'Sophomores' at Penn State
Gendered terms will be dropped from course descriptions
- Freshmen, underclassmen, and upperclassmen are going to be a thing of the past at Penn State, at least in course descriptions. The Faculty Senate has approved a proposition to remove gendered and binary terms from course and program descriptions as part of a push to use more inclusive language, the...
After Teaching for 46 Years,
She Left $350K to Employer
Nov 19, 2020 8:28 AM CST
After Teaching for 46 Years, She Left $350K to Employer
Money will go toward endowed scholarships
- Linda Hill spent 46 years at Claflin University helping students become better writers—and death won't stop her from helping more. The assistant professor of English, who died last year, left the Orangeburg, SC, institution $350,000 in her will for endowed scholarships for English majors, CNN reports. The...
A Black Student's
Death is Getting
Oct 4, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
A Black Student's Death is Getting Even Uglier
More evidence emerges in the case of Sanda Dia
- A black student's death during a hazing ritual in Belgium has raised painful issues of racism, elitism, colonialism—and people who might be getting away with manslaughter, the
New York Times
reports. Sanda Dia was 20 when he died trying to enter a nearly all-white fraternity at the Catholic...
University Handing Out
Grants for Doing Nothing
Aug 21, 2020 7:38 AM CDT
University Handing Out Grants for Doing Nothing
German school to dole out 3 'idleness grants' of $1.9K each
- Getting a university grant sometimes requires an extraordinary amount of work. In this case, not so much. The University of Fine Arts in Hamburg, Germany, is handing out three "idleness grants" of $1,900 each, reports UPI . The name is accurate: The university will pay four people to do...
UConn Evicts Students From
Campus After Dorm Party
Aug 19, 2020 3:45 PM CDT
UConn Evicts Students From Campus After Dorm Party
They were kicked out after video of packed party surfaced
- University of Connecticut officials have told several students in on-campus housing to pack their bags following a dorm party where social distancing was definitely not observed and few people wore masks. In a letter to students Tuesday, UConn Dean of Students Eleanor Daugherty and Residential Life Director Pamela Schipani said...
3 University Soccer Players
Kicked Off Team After Party
Aug 7, 2020 5:07 AM CDT
3 University Soccer Players Kicked Off Team After Party
Louisville gathering linked to 29 infections
- Three University of Louisville men's soccer players are off the team after organizing a party blamed for dozens of coronavirus infections, university authorities say. The university says the three players booted off the team are believed to be "primarily responsible" for the off-campus party, which has been linked...
Harvard Students Will Pay
$49,653 for Remote Learning
Jul 6, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Harvard Students Will Pay $49,653 for Remote Learning
40% of undergrads can live on campus this fall
- Harvard says that because of the pandemic, students this year will experience "a fall like no other"—although one familiar thing will be the tuition fees. The university says all classes will be conducted remotely, but tuition will not be discounted from $49,653, CNBC reports. The university...
School Dean Sends Out
'Tone Deaf' Dance Video
Mar 29, 2020 1:50 PM CDT
School Dean Sends Out 'Tone Deaf' Dance Video
Not exactly what NYU students were hoping for
- Hundreds of students seeking lower tuitions amid the coronavirus pandemic appear to be out of luck—and miffed at what they did get, the
New York Post
reports. Allyson Green, dean of New York University Tisch School of the Arts, answered their pleas by emailing them a video of her...
Get the Coronavirus
Mar 22, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Spring Breakers Get the Coronavirus
15 Florida students test positive for COVID-19
- Spring breakers partied hard in Florida last week despite the coronavirus pandemic and now, well, some bad news: Five from the University of Tampa have tested positive for COVID-19, WKBN reports. The school says they were "traveling together with other UT students during spring break" and "are self-isolating,...
Case Has a
Mar 21, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Sex Misconduct Case Has a Terrifying Twist
An Arizona professor had to battle anonymous accusations of sexual misconduct
- Think academia can get nasty? Hope you're sitting down. Sarah Viren, who teaches at Arizona State University, tells a horrifying story in the
New York Times Magazine
. The professor was close to getting a dream job in Michigan when sexual harassment claims appeared on Reddit against her and her...
School Board Members
Received an Extra $115M
Mar 14, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
School Board Members Received an Extra $115M
The University of Maryland medical system admits there's a problem
- Nearly $115 million went to board members of the University of Maryland Medical System or businesses associated with them, a state audit has found. The payments went to 27 board members or their associated businesses between Jan. 1, 2016 and April 18, 2019, according to a 100-page report that was...
Things Get Ugly in Hong Kong
Nov 18, 2019 6:50 AM CST
Things Get Ugly in Hong Kong
Riot officers break into university held by protesters as fires rage
- Hong Kong police using tear gas and rubber bullets fought off protesters Monday as they tried to break through a police cordon that is trapping hundreds of them on a university campus. Protesters advanced on the police from outside the cordon, while others emerged from the campus, their trademark umbrellas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.