Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For Every Unemployed Person,
2 Jobs Are Available
May 6, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
For Every Unemployed Person, 2 Jobs Are Available
It's a record-high proportion; new jobs figures for April reflect continued hiring
- The economy may be threatened on a number of fronts—inflation, a volatile stock market , a war overseas—but hiring is apparently not one of them. The new Labor Department numbers for April are out, and they reflect continued job growth:
Employers added 428,000 jobs in April, which
Hiring Streak in US
Sets an 80-Year Record
Apr 1, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hiring Streak in US Sets an 80-Year Record
We've had 11 straight months with gains of more than 400K jobs
- Despite red-hot inflation , US employers kept hiring at a solid pace in March. The key numbers:
Employers added 431,000 jobs for the month, coming in a bit shy of expectations of about 490,000. However, the
Wall Street Journal
points out this marks 11 straight months with gains
Jobs Report Suggests We're
on the Road to Recovery
Mar 4, 2022 8:54 AM CST
Jobs Report Suggests We're on the Road to Recovery
Employers added 678K new jobs, topping expectations
- The monthly jobs figures are out for February, and they signal a return to "something resembling normal," reports the
New York Times
. A drop in coronavirus cases coincided with strong hiring and increased consumer spending. More:
Employers added 678,000 jobs in February, topping economists' forecasts for
Jobless Claims in US Plummet
to Lowest Level in 52 Years
Nov 24, 2021 8:05 AM CST
Jobless Claims in US Plummet to Lowest Level in 52 Years
Number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits drops to 199K, the lowest since 1969
- The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits plummeted last week to the lowest level in more than half a century, another sign that the US job market is rebounding rapidly from last year's coronavirus recession. Jobless claims dropped by 71,000 to 199,000, the lowest since mid-November...
A Swing and a Miss for
September's Jobs Report
Oct 8, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
A Swing and a Miss for September's Jobs Report
Just 194K jobs were added last month
- US employers added just 194,000 jobs in September, a second straight tepid gain and evidence that the pandemic still has a grip on the economy, with many companies struggling to fill millions of open jobs. Friday's report from the Labor Department also showed that the unemployment rate fell...
Job Numbers Are Strong,
but There's an Asterisk
Aug 6, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Job Numbers Are Strong, but There's an Asterisk
Numbers may not reflect fast-moving impact of delta variant
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and the numbers are stronger than expected for July. But the delta variant is throwing a wrench into assessments. Details:
Employers added 943,000 jobs for the month, ahead of consensus estimates of 845,000, reports CNBC .
The unemployment rate dropped more than
New Jobs Numbers
Better Than Expected
Jul 2, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
New Jobs Numbers Better Than Expected
Employers added 850K jobs, while the unemployment rate ticked up to 5.9%
- The new monthly jobs numbers are in, and they are stronger than expected. "Robust" is the word used by the AP . Highlights:
Employers added 850,000 jobs in June, up from 583,000 in May. Most analysts had expected a gain of about 700,000 jobs, reports CNBC
Bars, Restaurants Give
a Jolt to February Hiring
Mar 5, 2021 7:52 AM CST
Bars, Restaurants Give a Jolt to February Hiring
Employers overall added 379K jobs, and unemployment fell to 6.2%
- The new unemployment report is out, and the numbers are stronger than expected. The highlights:
Employers added 379,000 jobs in February, above expectations of 210,000, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The figure is well above the 49,000 jobs gained in January.
Jobs Number Comes In
Much Worse Than Expected
Dec 4, 2020 7:49 AM CST
Jobs Number Comes In Much Worse Than Expected
Employers added 245K jobs, a big dropoff
- The new unemployment report is out, and it has a figure that in normal times would be strong: Employers added 245,000 new jobs in November. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate dropped from 6.9% to 6.7%. But in the context of the surging pandemic, the stat about new jobs...
Dec 1, 2020 12:20 AM CST
GAO: Weekly Unemployment Numbers Flawed
Government watchdog finds Labor Department has been providing an inaccurate reading
- A government watchdog has found that the Labor Department’s widely watched weekly unemployment benefits data are providing an inaccurate reading on the number of newly laid off workers because of flaws in the government’s data collection. The Government Accountability Office said in a report Monday that the Labor...
Virus Numbers Aren't the
Only Ones On the Rise
Nov 25, 2020 10:49 AM CST
Virus Numbers Aren't the Only Ones On the Rise
Jobless claims are up, too, for the 2nd week in a row
- The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits rose last week for a second straight week, to 778,000, evidence that the US economy and job market remain under strain as coronavirus cases surge and colder weather heightens the risks. The Labor Department's report Wednesday said jobless claims climbed...
October Jobs Report
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 6, 2020 7:58 AM CST
October Jobs Report Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 638K jobs, and unemployment rate fell to 6.9%
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it's stronger than expected, reports CNBC . Employers added 638,000 jobs in October, above expectations of 530,000. The unemployment rate fell to 6.9%, down from 7.9% in September. Still, that remains well above the rate of 3.5%...
The Final Jobs Report
Before the Election Is Out
Oct 2, 2020 7:47 AM CDT
The Final Jobs Report Before the Election Is Out
Unemployment rate falls to 7.9%
- The Labor Department released the final jobs report we'll have before the November election, and it was a mixed bag. The jobless rate fell further than expected, to 7.9% in September from 8.4% in August. But while the
Wall Street Journal
reports economists had expected about 800,...
Under a Key Threshold
Sep 4, 2020 7:46 AM CDT
Unemployment Falls Under a Key Threshold
It's below 10% for first time since pandemic began
- Companies are still hiring, just not as fast as they were. The Labor Department reported Friday that employers added 1.4 million jobs in August, down from about 1.8 million in July, per CNBC . But the overall unemployment rate dropped from 10.2% to 8.4%, marking the first...
Jobs Recovery Cools
as Virus Cases Increase
Aug 7, 2020 7:39 AM CDT
Jobs Recovery Cools as Virus Cases Increase
Unemployment rate drops from 11.1% to 10.2%
- The jobs recovery is continuing, just not as fast as in previous months. Employers added 1.8 million jobs in July, which in normal times would be a staggering number. But as the AP notes, it's down from 4.8 million in June and 2.7 million in May...
Sweden 'Literally Gained
Nothing' With COVID Approach
Jul 8, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Sweden 'Literally Gained Nothing' With COVID Approach
The country's economy wasn't shielded, but its top epidemiologist says time will tell
- Much has been made about Sweden's rejection of a lockdown and the high death rate that ensued. Per Reuters , the country had logged 5,447 deaths as of Tuesday, out of a population of 10 million—meaning its death rate is well above that of the US and its...
Hiring Is Stronger
Than Expected in June
Jul 2, 2020 7:45 AM CDT
Hiring Is Stronger Than Expected in June
Unemployment dips to 11.1%, but this was before new round of shutdowns
- US employers added a substantial 4.8 million jobs in June, and the unemployment rate fell to 11.1%, as the job market improved for a second straight month, yet still remained far short of regaining the colossal losses it suffered this spring, per the AP . The nation has now...
Appears to Be
Jun 11, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
With Jobless Numbers, 'Recovery Appears to Be Underway'
But debate continues between GOP, Dems on whether to extend unemployment stimulus relief
- America has started its economic recovery process, reopening businesses in phases across the nation, and the labor market numbers are beginning to reflect that. Per a Thursday release from the Department of Labor, the number of people drawing unemployment benefits for the week ending May 30 fell to 20.9...
Trump: It's a 'Great Day'
for George Floyd
Jun 5, 2020 12:12 PM CDT
Trump: It's a 'Great Day' for George Floyd
President celebrates the jobs numbers, speaks of need for 'fair treatment' from police
- "Victory lap." That's the term used by the AP and CNN to describe President Trump's reaction to Friday's surprisingly strong jobs report . "This shows that what we've been doing is right," Trump said in the Rose Garden, referring to the White House...
Jobless in US,
but a Small
May 28, 2020 8:18 AM CDT
Millions More Jobless in US, but a Small Bright Spot
Layoffs are slowing as businesses start to reopen, rehire workers
- Roughly 2.1 million people applied for US unemployment benefits last week, a sign that companies are still slashing jobs in the face of a deep recession even as more businesses reopen and rehire some laid-off employees. About 41 million people have now applied for aid since the virus outbreak...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.