Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Some Towns Put an Age
Limit on Trick-or-Treating
Oct 30, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Some Towns Put an Age Limit on Trick-or-Treating
But Chesapeake no longer threatens jail time for under-12s
- Halloween is almost here, and the debate is here again: How old is too old to go trick-or-treating? While it's generally agreed that nobody should still be asking door-to-door for candy when they hit their 20s, there's no consensus on the cut-off point for teenagers, NPR reports. Some...
Leads to Trick-or-Treating Ban
Oct 31, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
Cockroach Infestation Leads to Trick-or-Treating Ban
Detroit-area neighborhood has been battling infestation for months
- Trick-or-treating is off limits in a suburban Detroit neighborhood: There's nothing sweet about bringing home a cockroach. Per the AP , officials in Wyandotte said a cockroach infestation was confirmed at a vacant home after a tip from a trash hauler. The pests have been moving to other homes. Sidewalks...
CDC Director: 'Enjoy
Oct 25, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
CDC Director: 'Enjoy Your Trick-or-Treating'
'Put on those costumes, stay outside,' Walensky says
- What a difference a year—and a vaccine—makes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky says Americans should enjoy Halloween traditions including trick-or-treating this year, the
reports. Last year, the CDC warned against traditional trick-or-treating and said that while socially distanced outdoor events might be...
Bet You Didn't
Candy to Sell Like This
Sep 24, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Bet You Didn't Expect Halloween Candy to Sell Like This
Early sales are up double-digits from last year despite pandemic
- The pandemic has apparently left Americans seeking comfort in chocolate because Halloween candy sales have spiked this year. Sales of seasonal chocolate and candy in the month ending Sept. 6 were up 13% compared to last year, when sales totalled $4.6 billion, while sales of Halloween chocolate specifically were...
Girl, 7, Shot in Chest
Nov 1, 2019 6:54 AM CDT
Girl, 7, Shot in Chest While Trick-or-Treating
Chicago girl was walking down a street with her family
- A 7-year-old Chicago girl who went out trick-or-treating in a bumblebee outfit ended up fighting for her life in Stroger Hospital. Police say the girl was with family members and other trick-or-treaters on a sidewalk in the Little Village neighborhood on the West Side around 5:30pm when she was...
Judge to Sheriff: You Can't Put
Signs in Sex Offenders' Yards
Oct 30, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Judge to Sheriff: You Can't Put Signs in Sex Offenders' Yards
Gary Long wanted to keep trick-or-treaters away from certain homes on Halloween
- A wrench has been thrown in a Georgia official's plan to keep kids away from sex offenders on Halloween. CNN reports that US District Court Judge Marc Treadwell issued a preliminary injunction for three plaintiffs who objected to Butts County Sheriff Gary Long's decision to place signs in...
65K Sign Petition
to Change Date
Jul 26, 2019 12:56 AM CDT
65K Sign Petition to Change Date of Halloween
They ask Trump to shift it to last Saturday in October
- It's late July, and a surprising number of people have Halloween on their minds. A petition asking President Trump to change the date of Halloween from Oct. 31 to the last Saturday in October, which falls on Oct. 26 this year, is gathering steam and now has more than...
Mayor Has Controversial Plan
for Sex Offenders on Halloween
Oct 24, 2018 11:32 AM CDT
Mayor Has Controversial Plan for Sex Offenders on Halloween
25 to 30 parolees to be watched at city hall in Grovetown, Ga.
- Paroled sex offenders won't have the chance to encounter trick-or-treaters in Grovetown, Ga., this Halloween. That's because Mayor Gary E. Jones plans to round them up. Jones this week revealed his plan to keep 25 to 30 local paroled sex offenders under the watchful eyes of five law...
In This City, 13-Year-Old
Trick-or-Treaters Risk Jail
Oct 10, 2018 2:36 PM CDT
In This City, 13-Year-Old Trick-or-Treaters Risk Jail
But Chesapeake, Va., won't be 'actively seeking out' offenders
- The trick-or-treating fun ends the moment a child living in Chesapeake, Va., turns 13. At that age, kids going door to door for candy on Halloween "shall be guilty of a misdemeanor" and punished with a fine less than $100 "or by confinement in jail for not more...
10 Best Cities for
Oct 21, 2016 10:25 AM CDT
10 Best Cities for Trick-or-Treaters
Oh, to be a kid in Philadelphia
- Kids in Philadelphia who come home with pillowcases stuffed with candy on Halloween probably have no idea how lucky they are. Philly is the best city in the country for trick-or-treaters—and possibly dentists, too—according to the eighth annual Zillow Trick-or-Treat Index , per
. The index ranks cities based...
Bag of Crystal Meth
Nov 4, 2014 12:02 PM CST
Trick-or-Treater Given Bag of Crystal Meth
Parents find it among 8-year-old's candy
- Checking out their 8-year-old daughter's Halloween candy, parents in the San Francisco Bay Area came upon something that definitely wasn't a Snickers. It was a .1-gram bag of crystal meth, police say. "This could have been intentional or it could have been accidental, and we won't...
Driver Kills Twins, 3rd Girl, Out Trick-or-Treating
Nov 1, 2014 7:55 AM CDT
Driver Kills Twins, 3rd Girl, Out Trick-or-Treating
Police still looking for hit-and-run driver
- Three teenage girls trick-or-treating in Halloween costumes were killed by a hit-and-run driver at a Southern California intersection last night. The girls were in a crosswalk near an elementary school in Santa Ana when an SUV with two men inside hit them about 6:45pm, police and fire officials said....
Man Sentenced for Firing
AK-47 at Trick-or-Treater
Oct 9, 2013 3:36 PM CDT
Man Sentenced for Firing AK-47 at Trick-or-Treater
12-year-old boy killed, stepfather and brother wounded in incident
- A 27-year-old South Carolina man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for killing a trick-or-treater who came to his door on Halloween 2008. Quentin Patrick was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty to murder in the death of TJ Darrisaw. Prosecutors say the 12-year-old boy was shot at least...
WHITE HOUSE HALLOWEEN
Nov 1, 2009 5:00 AM CST
Trick-or-Treat ... Mr President
Obamas open White House doors to 2000+ area schoolkids
- The leader of the free world may have been masquerading as a frumpy suburban dad and handing out dried fruit, but it was still a pretty cool treat for a couple thousand DC-area kids who went trick-or-treating at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave last night. With the first lady dressed as a...
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.