Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Loch Ness Tourist Leaves
a Bitter, Hilarious Review
Aug 20, 2021 11:59 AM CDT
Loch Ness Tourist Leaves a Bitter, Hilarious Review
Where the heck is Nessie?!
- A tourist visiting Inverness in the Scottish Highlands apparently thought a Nessie sighting was guaranteed. In a bitter yet amusing one-star TripAdvisor review of the trip, posted in June, "Ron" from Grimsby, a port town in North East Lincolnshire, England, described his disappointment at failing to catch a sight...
Over Auschwitz Review
May 7, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
TripAdvisor Apologizes Over Auschwitz Review
Museum complained about insensitive post, and the travel website eventually agreed
- TripAdvisor has removed an insensitive review of the Auschwitz Museum after initially saying it complied with its submission guidelines, per the AP . The museum at the site of the Nazi concentration camp in Poland on Thursday tweeted that it had asked the Massachusetts-based travel website to take down a review...
Hotel That Had American Jailed
Is Furious With Tripadvisor
Nov 11, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Hotel That Had American Jailed Is Furious With Tripadvisor
Sea View Resort and Spa given 'one-of-a-kind' warning label
- American Wesley Barnes was made to apologize for his unkind reviews of a Thai resort hotel so as to avoid years in jail . But if the Sea View Resort and Spa in Koh Chang celebrated a victory, it was premature. Now that charges have been dismissed and Barnes has left...
American Escapes Jail Time
After 'Stilted' Apology to Resort
Oct 9, 2020 11:23 AM CDT
American Escapes Jail Time After 'Stilted' Apology to Resort
Wesley Barnes had faced years behind bars for trashing Thai resort online, violating defamation law
- Looks like Wesley Barnes won't see jail time after all. The American living in Thailand had complained online , including on the Tripadvisor site, about the Sea View Koh Chang resort, airing grievances about his stay there over the "unfriendly staff" and accusing the resort of "modern-day slavery"...
Tripadvisor Review Could
Land American in Jail
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 3, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Tripadvisor Review Could Land American in Jail
Thailand resort sues Wesley Barnes after he posts slams online
- Wesley Barnes did not enjoy his stay at the Sea View Resort in Thailand, as he made very clear in online reviews. Now the American faces two years in prison on defamation charges as a result, reports AFP . It appears the review that got Barnes into potentially deep trouble was...
TripAdvisor Sued Over Ride
on Pregnant, Runaway Camel
Jan 6, 2020 5:37 PM CST
TripAdvisor Sued Over Ride on Pregnant, Runaway Camel
Woman blames company for her broken arm and Moroccan vacation fail
- A New Jersey woman says her camel ride in the Moroccan desert was more of an adventure than she was looking for. A tour company put her on a pregnant camel that broke free, running away and throwing her, according to the woman's lawsuit. Breanne Ayala, 24, suffered a...
City's New Tourism Campaign
Highlights 1-Star Reviews
Jul 1, 2019 7:13 AM CDT
City's New Tourism Campaign Highlights 1-Star Reviews
Vienna says you should make up your own minds
- Vienna—home of the "boring" Hofburg palace, among other attractions—wants people to start ignoring online reviews and discover the city for themselves. The Austrian capital has launched a new "Unrating Vienna" campaign, which highlights terrible reviews from TripAdvisor and elsewhere, including one that complained "the paintings...
Travelers Rate the
Best Airlines. There's
a Returning Champ
Apr 2, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Travelers Rate the Best Airlines. There's a Returning Champ
Congrats again to Singapore Airlines
- The champ reigns again in TripAdvisor's third annual list of the world's top 10 airlines, as decided by travelers. Singapore Airlines—one of four Asian carriers to make the 2019 list , which is actually chosen by an algorithm based on the quality and quantity of 2018 flier reviews—...
For First Time Ever, Fake
Reviews Get Guy Sent to Jail
Sep 13, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
For First Time Ever, Fake Reviews Get Guy Sent to Jail
TripAdvisor hails landmark ruling in Italy
- For what is believed to be the first time, a person has been sent to jail for writing fake reviews online. The Italian man ran a company called PromoSalento, which sold hotels fake reviews, and in what's being widely hailed as a landmark ruling this week a court in...
Ingraham Issues Apology
as Advertisers Pull Out
Mar 30, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Ingraham Issues Apology as Advertisers Pull Out
Not good enough, says Parkland survivor
- Laura Ingraham offered an apology to Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg Thursday—after multiple major advertisers heeded his call to pull their ads from her Fox News show. Hogg, who has become a prominent gun-control advocate since the mass shooting, called for the boycott after Ingraham taunted him for...
Top Restaurant on TripAdvisor
Was Just Some Guy's Shed
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 10, 2017 6:31 AM CST
Top Restaurant on TripAdvisor Was Just Some Guy's Shed
Vice writer takes fake restaurant to top of TripAdvisor's rankings in just 6 months
- For a brief shining moment in November, the best restaurant in London, as rated by TripAdvisor, featured TV dinners, live chickens, and a DJ playing kitchen noises in lieu of an actual kitchen. Oobah Butler used to be paid by restaurants to leave good reviews on TripAdvisor without actually visiting...
Scrubbed Our Warnings
Nov 1, 2017 2:35 PM CDT
Tourists: TripAdvisor Scrubbed Our Warnings About Mexico
Several accounts of rape at resorts were deleted: 'MJS'
- More than a dozen travelers who sought to warn others about injuries, assaults, and tainted alcohol at Mexican resorts accuse TripAdvisor of "censoring" them. Continuing its investigations into incidents at Mexican resorts , the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
notes travelers across the US say TripAdvisor silenced them when they used the...
in case you missed it
May 21, 2017 4:45 PM CDT
After One-Star TripAdvisor Review, Restaurant Goes 'Nuclear'
Law firm for UK's High Rocks threatens mom Sarah Gardner with jail time
- A British mom says she's a "nervous wreck" after she posted a negative restaurant review on TripAdvisor and is now being threatened with jail time for libel and defamation, per the
reports on the situation of 44-year-old nurse Sarah Gardner, who put up a...
TripAdvisor Gets Feds' OK to
Book Travel Services to Cuba
Oct 29, 2016 12:03 PM CDT
TripAdvisor Gets Feds' OK to Book Travel Services to Cuba
It 'looks forward to helping travelers all over the world discover Cuba'
- Travel website TripAdvisor announced Friday that it can now help you book a flight to Cuba, find a place to stay there, and see the attractions it has to offer. The AP reports TripAdvisor is among a few companies to receive licenses from the US Department of the Treasury's...
Want to Swim With Dolphins?
TripAdvisor Can't Help You
Oct 13, 2016 4:05 PM CDT
Want to Swim With Dolphins? TripAdvisor Can't Help You
It will also stop selling tickets to ride elephants, pet tigers, and more
- TripAdvisor, which claims to be the biggest travel site in the world, says it will stop selling tickets to elephant rides, swims with dolphins, and other attractions that involve humans getting up close and personal with wild animals or endangered species, NPR reports. According to
, these kinds of...
10 Best Beaches in the US
Feb 19, 2015 2:18 PM CST
10 Best Beaches in the US
TripAdvisor offers its annual list
- On this historically cold day ( at least in some places ), you're probably wishing you were on a nice, warm beach somewhere. Well, you can at least daydream, because TripAdvisor has released its annual ranking of the best beaches. The rankings are based on quantity and quality of...
Hotel Sues Guest for
Posting Scathing Review
May 23, 2014 4:13 AM CDT
Hotel Sues Guest for Posting Scathing Review
Guest claimed owner stoned, housekeeping drunk
- The Ashley Inn in Lincoln City, Oregon, says its rooms and breakfast aren't nasty; the owner doesn't smoke weed; laundry and housekeeping are neither high nor drunk; Jen at the front desk wasn't having phone sex—and it's suing the guest who claimed otherwise in a...
May 9, 2014 2:35 PM CDT
TripAdvisor Reviewers 'Blackmail' Hotels
British hospitality officials say it's on the rise
- A customer walks into a bar and says, "I'm a senior TripAdvisor reviewer." So what's the punchline? According to British hospitality officials, the joke is on restaurateurs and hotel owners who are blackmailed by such customers, the
reports. "People threatening restaurants and hotels with...
Over 'Fake' Reviews
Sep 2, 2011 9:06 AM CDT
TripAdvisor Probed Over 'Fake' Reviews
2K UK businesses complain of false or defamatory comments
- A UK advertising watchdog has launched a probe into TripAdvisor following complaints from hotels and restaurants about the veracity of the reviews on the site. More than 2,000 business owners complained of fake or defamatory reviews. The watchdog will consider whether the travel-review site needs to verify its reviews’...
Anonymous Posters Bedevil TripAdvisor
Nov 20, 2009 2:35 PM CST
Anonymous Posters Bedevil TripAdvisor
Hotel ranking site shows dangers of crowdsourcing
- Some recent snafus have taught TripAdvisor the hard way that crowdsourcing may be powerful, but it isn’t always reliable. In one recent incident, a new boutique hotel shot to the top of the site’s Miami Beach hotel rankings on a flood of positive reviews—until one reviewer implied...
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.