Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Should We Relax on
Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Jun 27, 2022 3:04 PM CDT
Should We Relax on Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Ruth Marcus warns why we shouldn't dismiss Thomas' seemingly outlier push on nixing other precedents
- Attached to the Supreme Court's majority opinion in overturning Roe v. Wade on Friday was a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas that suggested he'd like to also reconsider cases involving contraception, same-sex marriage, and other private sexual conduct. The pundit consensus has since deemed the chances...
Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
Justice appears to be inviting legal cases that could undermine gay marriage, contraception
- When the Roe v. Wade decision came down, Clarence Thomas made headlines with a controversial separate opinion . He suggested the court, as it did with abortion, should examine the legal underpinnings of issues including same-sex marriage and the use of contraception. Thomas, part of the powerful new conservative majority on...
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas
Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Jun 24, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Justice says Supreme Court should reconsider decisions on contraception, same-sex couplings
- Roe v. Wade has been officially overturned by the US Supreme Court, eliminating federal protections for abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years, but a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas is also getting attention. In his writing, Thomas notes that, based on the reversal...
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to
a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Jun 20, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Clela Rorex issued first same-sex marriage licenses in 1975
- Clela Rorex, a former Colorado county clerk considered a pioneer in the gay rights movement for being the first public official to issue a same-sex marriage license in 1975, has died. She was 78. Rorex died Sunday of complications from recent surgery at a hospice care facility in Longmont, the...
Japan Court Rules Against
Jun 20, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Japan Court Rules Against Same-Sex Marriage
Judge says ban is constitutional
- A Japanese court ruled Monday that the country’s ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and it rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their rights had been violated. The Osaka District Court ruling is the second decision on the issue, and it disagrees with...
Jun 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Outrage Follows Graduation Speaker's Marriage Remarks
He urged Ohio high school students to follow 'Biblical principles'
- A public school district in Ohio says it will be "reviewing its processes" after a graduation speaker urged students to avoid same-sex marriages. "Choose a spouse, I suggest. I also strongly suggest to make sure to choose Biblical principles, you know, a male with a female and female...
After 8 Years, Battle Between
Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Nov 19, 2021 2:14 AM CST
After 8 Years, Battle Between Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Barronelle Stutzman settles for $5K, retires
- A florist in Washington state who was in an eight-year legal battle that reached the US Supreme Court will retire after settling with the same-sex couple whose wedding job she refused . Barronelle Stutzman of Richland, Washington, announced the settlement Thursday, saying she has paid $5,000 to Robert Ingersoll, the...
I Was Wrong
on Gay Marriage
Sep 27, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Liz Cheney: I Was Wrong on Gay Marriage
And younger sister Mary is 'proud' of the about-face
Mary Cheney says she is proud of older sister Liz after the latter's about-face on same-sex marriage. "It took a ton of courage to admit that she was wrong back in 2013 when she opposed marriage equality,” wrote Mary, who is gay and married, on Facebook...
Same-Sex Marriage Wins
Sep 26, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Wins Overwhelming Support
Switzerland approves referendum backed by government and all parties but one
- Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved same-sex marriage on Sunday, endorsing a measure that carried all 26 of the nation's cantons. The referendum was on track to receive the support of 64% of voters, the BBC reports. Supporters expressed relief, and Amnesty International called the decision a "milestone for equality,...
Sep 4, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Same-Sex Marriage
Only civil unions are legal in Switzerland now
- Tens of thousands protested in Switzerland on Saturday for the legalization of same-sex marriage in the Alpine country. The protests came ahead of a national referendum Sept. 26 on the legalization of gay marriage, which has already been introduced in European countries including Germany, Austria, France , and the Netherlands, the...
Vatican on Gay Unions:
We 'Cannot Bless Sin'
Mar 15, 2021 7:02 AM CDT
Vatican on Gay Unions: We 'Cannot Bless Sin'
Catholic Church rules priests can't sanction same-sex unions
- The Vatican decreed Monday that the Catholic Church cannot bless same-sex unions since God “cannot bless sin," per the AP . The Vatican’s orthodoxy office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, issued a formal response Monday to a question about whether Catholic clergy can bless gay...
A Film That Premiered Today
Holds Big Statement From Pope
Oct 21, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
A Film That Premiered Today Holds Big Statement From Pope
In it, Francis endorses same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope
- Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary
, which had its premiere at the Rome Film Festival on Wednesday. The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment,...
As a Congressman,
He Fought LGBT
a Big Reveal
Mar 6, 2020 11:55 AM CST
As a Congressman, He Fought LGBT Rights. Now, a Big Reveal
'I am gay,' announced ex-GOP Rep. Aaron Schock of Illinois
- A GOP congressman from Illinois who resigned in 2015 amid charges of defrauding the government voted against same-sex marriage and other LGBT-positive laws during his four-term tenure. Which is why Aaron Schock's Thursday announcement on social media was shocking. "I am gay," he wrote on Instagram and...
Mar 3, 2020 2:51 AM CST
Putin Wants Constitution to Ban Same-Sex Marriage
He proposes amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman
- Like George W. Bush before him, Vladimir Putin is supporting a constitutional amendment to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. Unlike the American leader, the Russian president is highly likely to see the amendment become the law of the land. Russian lawmakers said Monday that Putin'...
Church of England Issues Strict
Rules on Who Can Have Sex
Jan 23, 2020 11:25 AM CST
Church of England Issues Strict Rules on Who Can Have Sex
Straight and married? You're in luck
- Christians hoping to remain on God's good side should avoid sex unless in a heterosexual marriage, according to the Church of England. "Sexual relationships outside heterosexual marriage are regarded as falling short of God’s purpose for human beings," reads a statement issued by the House of...
Hallmark Channel CEO Steps
Down After a 'Black Eye'
Jan 23, 2020 7:18 AM CST
Hallmark Channel CEO Steps Down After a 'Black Eye'
Bill Abbott's move comes one month after Hallmark pulled then restored same-sex ads
- For nearly a dozen years, Bill Abbott has served as president and CEO of Hallmark Channel, which expanded its programming and enjoyed increased ratings and ad revenue during his tenure. So an announcement Wednesday from the channel's parent company that Abbott is resigning was somewhat surprising, per the
United Methodists Agree
to Historic Split
Jan 3, 2020 1:16 PM CST
United Methodists Agree to Historic Split
Those who oppose gay marriage will form their own denomination
- The United Methodist Church looks poised to allow same-sex marriage and LGBT clergy for the first time in its history—but it'll come at a cost. The nation's third-largest denomination will fracture as a result, as soon as May, reports the
. An agreement announced Friday—signed...
Hallmark Reinstates Ads
With Same-Sex Couples
Dec 16, 2019 4:16 AM CST
Hallmark Reinstates Ads With Same-Sex Couples
Company is 'truly sorry' for 'wrong decision'
- The Hallmark Channel, reversing what it called a "wrong decision," said Sunday it will reinstate commercials featuring same-sex couples that it had pulled following a complaint from a conservative group . The earlier decision by Crown Media, the Hallmark Channel's parent company, to pull several ads for the...
You Won't See Gay Ads
on Hallmark Anymore
Dec 14, 2019 5:00 PM CST
You Won't See Gay Ads on Hallmark Anymore
The network bows to pressure from conservative group
- Under pressure from a conservative advocacy group, The Hallmark Channel has pulled ads for a wedding-planning website that featured same-sex couples, including two brides kissing, the AP reports. The family-friendly network, which is in the midst of its heavily watched holiday programming, removed the ads because the controversy was a...
Chick-fil-A Just Opened
First UK Restaurant.
It's Already Closing
Oct 21, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Chick-fil-A Just Opened First UK Restaurant. It's Already Closing
The Chick-fil-A in Reading is shutting down after protests related to LGBTQ+ issues
- On Oct. 10, the first-ever Chick-fil-A in the UK opened its doors. On Oct. 18 , the announcement was made that it would not be staying there. After the US fast food chain opened a branch in the English town of Reading, the LGBTQ+ advocacy group Reading Pride started organizing protests...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.