Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspected Picasso Thief
Isn't Who Police Expected
Jun 30, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Suspected Picasso Thief Isn't Who Police Expected
He's reportedly not a member of a sophisticated gang but just someone who loves art
- On Tuesday Greece heralded the discovery of a precious Picasso painting that had been stolen from the National Gallery in Athens in 2012. The
reports that the man suspected of taking "Head of a Woman," along with a work by Piet Mondrian, isn't who police expected....
Stolen Picasso Painting With
Huge Sentimental Value Found
Jun 29, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Stolen Picasso Painting With Huge Sentimental Value Found
Artist intended for the Greek people to have it in recognition of their Nazi resistance
- A Picasso painting that was stolen in January 2012 and has particular meaning to the Greek people has been recovered. The BBC reports the artist himself gave "Head of a Woman" to Greece in 1949 in honor of the country's resistance to the Nazis. Culture Minister Lina Mendoni...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Stolen Copy of World's Most
Expensive Painting Is Found
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Stolen Copy of World's Most Expensive Painting Is Found
Italian museum didn't realize 'Salvator Mundi' copy was missing
- A 500-year-old copy of the world's most expensive painting has been returned to an Italian museum, whose staff didn't even realize it was stolen. During a search of an apartment in Naples, police came upon the copy of
, a Leonardo da Vinci original depicting Jesus Christ...
Just Got Stolen, Again
Aug 27, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
This Masterpiece Just Got Stolen, Again
'Two Laughing Boys' by Frans Hals taken from Dutch museum
- The pandemic is bad news for art patrons because museums are mostly closed. Art thieves, on the other hand, seem to be doing OK. For the second time since the pandemic began, a painting has been stolen from a shuttered museum in the Netherlands, reports Reuters . In March, it was...
'Proof of Life' Photos of
Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Jun 19, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
'Proof of Life' Photos of Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Art detective says thief could be looking for a buyer
- The Vincent van Gogh painting stolen from a Dutch museum in March has turned up—in a pair of photographs . The "proof of life" photos show the front and back of the small painting,
Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring
, next to a copy of the
New York Times
18 Months After Theft,
Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Jun 11, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
18 Months After Theft, Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Authorities recover mural dedicated to Bataclan victims
- Italian authorities on Thursday unveiled a stolen artwork by the British artist Banksy that was painted as a tribute to the victims of the 2015 terror attacks at the Bataclan music hall in Paris. The L'Aquila prosecutors' office said the work was recovered Wednesday during a search of a...
Watch an Art Thief in Action
Apr 23, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Watch an Art Thief in Action
It's less sophisticated that you might imagine
- All it took was a few sturdy swings with a sledgehammer and a prized painting by Vincent van Gogh was gone, per the AP . A Dutch crime-busting television show has aired security camera footage showing how an art thief smashed his way through reinforced glass doors at a museum in...
Museum Shuttered by
Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Mar 30, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Museum Shuttered by Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Vincent van Gogh painting taken from Singer museum in Laren
- A Dutch museum that was closed because of the coronavirus pandemic had a very unwelcome visitor or visitors in the wee hours of Monday morning: a thief or thieves who made off with a Vincent van Gogh painting. The
reports the 1884 work,
was taken around 3:...
'A Serious Theft
When We Have
Other Things to
Mar 16, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
'A Serious Theft When We Have Other Things to Worry About'
Work by Anthony Van Dyck, 2 others, were taken
- There is a thief or thieves out there who definitely aren't self-quarantining amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. Three "very high value" paintings were stolen just before midnight Saturday from an art gallery at Oxford University's Christ Church college. Chief among them was
A Soldier On Horseback
Gardener Finds Stolen
$66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Dec 12, 2019 4:58 AM CST
Gardener Finds Stolen $66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Klimt disappeared almost 23 years ago
- A Gustav Klimt painting stolen almost 23 years ago might have been hidden all this time inside an Italian gallery's walls. A gardener at the Ricci Oddi modern art gallery in the northern city of Piacenza told Italian state TV on Tuesday he was clearing ivy from the gallery'...
Thieves Raid Europe's
Largest Collection of Treasures
Nov 25, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Thieves Raid Europe's Largest Collection of Treasures
Authorities are still trying to assess what was taken from the Green Vault in Dresden, Germany
- Early Monday, firefighters in Dresden, Germany, rushed to the scene of a fire at a power distributor. Not long after, another call came in: The Gruenes Gewoelbe museum, or Green Vault, had been robbed. Now authorities say they're trying to figure out if the two incidents are connected, as...
20 Knew It Was
Now It's Gone
Jan 17, 2019 11:38 AM CST
20 Knew It Was a Suspected Michelangelo. Now It's Gone
16th-century painting was about to be formally studied to see whether it was by the master
- An expert was to survey a painting some believe to be a lost work of Michelangelo at a church outside of Brussels on Thursday, though you can now consider the visit canceled. Pastor Jan Van Raemdonck—who had told only 20 people about the possible discovery—reported the painting missing...
Unsolved $500 Million
Art Heist Gets a Podcast
Jul 19, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Unsolved $500 Million Art Heist Gets a Podcast
The theft of 13 paintings from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum still perplexes authorities
- A famously unsolved art heist will be the subject of a podcast that is sure to be the next big hit among true crime fans. In a statement released Thursday, WBUR and the
announced they've teamed up for a series on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft...
Cops: Unlikely Bandit Steals
Yoko Ono Rock From Museum
Apr 9, 2018 7:16 AM CDT
Cops: Unlikely Bandit Steals Yoko Ono Rock From Museum
Toronto police looking for $17.5K stone and the middle-aged woman who took it
- As art thefts go, it was pretty simple: “She just picked it up and walked away with it," says a Toronto police official. He's referring to a rock with the words "Love yourself" written on it by none other than Yoko Ono, reports the
Ugly Sweater Party at
Art Museum Takes Ugly Turn
Feb 19, 2018 7:11 AM CST
Ugly Sweater Party at Art Museum Takes Ugly Turn
Terracotta Army statue, on loan from China, was found to be minus a digit
- What began as an Ugly Sweater Party has turned into an international incident. The BBC reports Michael Rohana was attending such a party four days before Christmas at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia when he allegedly entered a room that was closed to guests but, per the
, had an...
Somebody Stole $105K Photos
at MoMa, Mailed Them Back
Nov 14, 2017 6:11 AM CST
Somebody Stole $105K Photos at MoMa, Mailed Them Back
NYPD releases surveillance video of woman mailing photos back to museum annex in NYC
- The Museum of Modern Art has an odd mystery on its hands. First, somebody stole two photos of performance artist Carolee Schneemann worth $105,000 from a museum annex in Queens. Then somebody mailed them back, good as new. Now the NYPD has released surveillance video of the young woman...
Gang Steals $3M in Books
in Hollywood-Esque Heist
Feb 14, 2017 11:03 AM CST
Gang Steals $3M in Books in Hollywood-Esque Heist
They cut through skylights, rappelled down
- It was a heist worthy of Hollywood: Thieves targeted a London warehouse temporarily holding some of the world's rarest books, cut through its skylights, rappelled down, and made off with more than $3 million in bounty, reports the
. In total, the trio nabbed more than 160 books, and...
17 Stolen Masterpieces
Returned Year After Heist
Dec 22, 2016 12:05 AM CST
17 Stolen Masterpieces Returned Year After Heist
They're back in Italy with only scratches
- Seventeen masterpieces valued at $17.7 million were returned to Italy from Ukraine on Wednesday after being stolen by masked, armed robbers from a Verona art museum last year. Italian Culture Minister Dario Franceschini, who traveled to Kiev to retrieve the paintings—which included works by Rubens, Tintoretto, and Mantegna—...
of Stolen Art'
in SC History
Solved, Kind Of
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 22, 2016 2:40 PM CDT
'Biggest Case of Stolen Art' in SC History Solved, Kind Of
11 of 17 missing works belonging to Belle Baruch found
- "The biggest case of stolen art in South Carolina history" has been solved, at least partially, some 13 years after the art went missing from Hobcaw Barony. That's the name of the estate that belonged to Belle Baruch, an equestrian and horse breeder so known for her skills...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.