Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stolen van Gogh Was
Returned in Ikea Bag
Sep 12, 2023 5:17 PM CDT
Stolen van Gogh Was Returned in Ikea Bag
Dutch art detective said it had become a 'hot potato' in criminal underworld
- A Dutch art detective known as the "Indiana Jones of the art world" has recovered a Vincent van Gogh painting stolen from a museum in Amsterdam during a COVID lockdown in March 2020. In a video posted on Instagram Tuesday, Arthur Brand displayed the 1884 painting
Parsonage Garden at
Guy Who Stole
Thumb Pleads Guilty
Apr 6, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Guy Who Stole Terracotta Warrior's Thumb Pleads Guilty
Michael Rohana reaches plea deal in crime that outraged China
- A Delaware man's legal saga is approaching its end, more than five years after an extremely ill-advised move at an ugly Christmas sweater party that led to an FBI investigation and international tensions. Days before Christmas 2017, Michael Rohana was at an after-hours party in the Franklin Institute in...
Sent for Cleaning
Jan 30, 2023 3:01 PM CST
17th-Century Paintings Sent for Cleaning Now 'Untraceable'
Swiss museum suspects 2 'Old Master' artworks were stolen
- Switzerland's biggest art museum says two "Old Master" paintings from the 17th century are missing and theft is a definite possibility. The Kunsthaus Zurich says the two paintings— Robert van den Hoecke’s "Soldiers in the Camp" and Dirck de Bray's "Daffodils and Other Flowers...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Suspected Picasso Thief
Isn't Who Police Expected
Jun 30, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Suspected Picasso Thief Isn't Who Police Expected
He's reportedly not a member of a sophisticated gang but just someone who loves art
- On Tuesday Greece heralded the discovery of a precious Picasso painting that had been stolen from the National Gallery in Athens in 2012. The
reports that the man suspected of taking "Head of a Woman," along with a work by Piet Mondrian, isn't who police expected....
Stolen Picasso Painting With
Huge Sentimental Value Found
Jun 29, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Stolen Picasso Painting With Huge Sentimental Value Found
Artist intended for the Greek people to have it in recognition of their Nazi resistance
- A Picasso painting that was stolen in January 2012 and has particular meaning to the Greek people has been recovered. The BBC reports the artist himself gave "Head of a Woman" to Greece in 1949 in honor of the country's resistance to the Nazis. Culture Minister Lina Mendoni...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Stolen Copy of World's Most
Expensive Painting Is Found
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Stolen Copy of World's Most Expensive Painting Is Found
Italian museum didn't realize 'Salvator Mundi' copy was missing
- A 500-year-old copy of the world's most expensive painting has been returned to an Italian museum, whose staff didn't even realize it was stolen. During a search of an apartment in Naples, police came upon the copy of
, a Leonardo da Vinci original depicting Jesus Christ...
Just Got Stolen, Again
Aug 27, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
This Masterpiece Just Got Stolen, Again
'Two Laughing Boys' by Frans Hals taken from Dutch museum
- The pandemic is bad news for art patrons because museums are mostly closed. Art thieves, on the other hand, seem to be doing OK. For the second time since the pandemic began, a painting has been stolen from a shuttered museum in the Netherlands, reports Reuters . In March, it was...
'Proof of Life' Photos of
Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Jun 19, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
'Proof of Life' Photos of Stolen Van Gogh Emerge
Art detective says thief could be looking for a buyer
- The Vincent van Gogh painting stolen from a Dutch museum in March has turned up—in a pair of photographs . The "proof of life" photos show the front and back of the small painting,
Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring
, next to a copy of the
New York Times
18 Months After Theft,
Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Jun 11, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
18 Months After Theft, Banksy Piece Found in Attic
Authorities recover mural dedicated to Bataclan victims
- Italian authorities on Thursday unveiled a stolen artwork by the British artist Banksy that was painted as a tribute to the victims of the 2015 terror attacks at the Bataclan music hall in Paris. The L'Aquila prosecutors' office said the work was recovered Wednesday during a search of a...
Watch an Art Thief in Action
Apr 23, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Watch an Art Thief in Action
It's less sophisticated that you might imagine
- All it took was a few sturdy swings with a sledgehammer and a prized painting by Vincent van Gogh was gone, per the AP . A Dutch crime-busting television show has aired security camera footage showing how an art thief smashed his way through reinforced glass doors at a museum in...
Museum Shuttered by
Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Mar 30, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Museum Shuttered by Virus 'Shocked' by Theft
Vincent van Gogh painting taken from Singer museum in Laren
- A Dutch museum that was closed because of the coronavirus pandemic had a very unwelcome visitor or visitors in the wee hours of Monday morning: a thief or thieves who made off with a Vincent van Gogh painting. The
reports the 1884 work,
was taken around 3:...
'A Serious Theft
When We Have
Other Things to
Mar 16, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
'A Serious Theft When We Have Other Things to Worry About'
Work by Anthony Van Dyck, 2 others, were taken
- There is a thief or thieves out there who definitely aren't self-quarantining amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. Three "very high value" paintings were stolen just before midnight Saturday from an art gallery at Oxford University's Christ Church college. Chief among them was
A Soldier On Horseback
Gardener Finds Stolen
$66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Dec 12, 2019 4:58 AM CST
Gardener Finds Stolen $66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Klimt disappeared almost 23 years ago
- A Gustav Klimt painting stolen almost 23 years ago might have been hidden all this time inside an Italian gallery's walls. A gardener at the Ricci Oddi modern art gallery in the northern city of Piacenza told Italian state TV on Tuesday he was clearing ivy from the gallery'...
Thieves Raid Europe's
Largest Collection of Treasures
Nov 25, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Thieves Raid Europe's Largest Collection of Treasures
Authorities are still trying to assess what was taken from the Green Vault in Dresden, Germany
- Early Monday, firefighters in Dresden, Germany, rushed to the scene of a fire at a power distributor. Not long after, another call came in: The Gruenes Gewoelbe museum, or Green Vault, had been robbed. Now authorities say they're trying to figure out if the two incidents are connected, as...
20 Knew It Was
Now It's Gone
Jan 17, 2019 11:38 AM CST
20 Knew It Was a Suspected Michelangelo. Now It's Gone
16th-century painting was about to be formally studied to see whether it was by the master
- An expert was to survey a painting some believe to be a lost work of Michelangelo at a church outside of Brussels on Thursday, though you can now consider the visit canceled. Pastor Jan Van Raemdonck—who had told only 20 people about the possible discovery—reported the painting missing...
Unsolved $500 Million
Art Heist Gets a Podcast
Jul 19, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Unsolved $500 Million Art Heist Gets a Podcast
The theft of 13 paintings from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum still perplexes authorities
- A famously unsolved art heist will be the subject of a podcast that is sure to be the next big hit among true crime fans. In a statement released Thursday, WBUR and the
announced they've teamed up for a series on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft...
Cops: Unlikely Bandit Steals
Yoko Ono Rock From Museum
Apr 9, 2018 7:16 AM CDT
Cops: Unlikely Bandit Steals Yoko Ono Rock From Museum
Toronto police looking for $17.5K stone and the middle-aged woman who took it
- As art thefts go, it was pretty simple: “She just picked it up and walked away with it," says a Toronto police official. He's referring to a rock with the words "Love yourself" written on it by none other than Yoko Ono, reports the
Ugly Sweater Party at
Art Museum Takes Ugly Turn
Feb 19, 2018 7:11 AM CST
Ugly Sweater Party at Art Museum Takes Ugly Turn
Terracotta Army statue, on loan from China, was found to be minus a digit
- What began as an Ugly Sweater Party has turned into an international incident. The BBC reports Michael Rohana was attending such a party four days before Christmas at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia when he allegedly entered a room that was closed to guests but, per the
, had an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.