Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Driver of Migrant Truck
Found High, Hiding
Jul 1, 2022 9:37 AM CDT
Officials: Suspected Driver of Migrant Truck Found High, Hiding
Officials say Homero Zamorano was found high on meth, hiding near truck
- The man suspected of driving the tractor-trailer where 53 migrants were found dead earlier this week in San Antonio was high on meth when authorities discovered him cowering in the brush near the truck, according to a Texas congressman. Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar tells Reuters he was briefed by US...
Walmart's Supply Chain Plan:
Pay Its Truck Drivers $110K
Apr 7, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Walmart's Supply Chain Plan: Pay Its Truck Drivers $110K
Retailer also will train current employees for the job
- Long before the supply chain problems began, Walmart executives thought having their own fleet of trucks was the best way to keep inventory moving to stores. To that end, the retailer is raising salaries for its drivers and investing in a program to turn more of its other employers into...
Russia Advertises for Drivers
Mar 23, 2022 4:27 PM CDT
Russia Advertises for Drivers
Ukrainian agency warns that new hires could be forced to commit crimes
- Russia is seeking truck drivers to move goods, including fuel, ostensibly along Ukraine's border with Russia and Belarus. But the Ukrainian government says the online ads really are looking for drivers from the area who are familiar with the roads, to help the Russian military in Ukraine, NPR reports....
As Canada's Truckers Fight
Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
Jan 28, 2022 1:18 PM CST
As Canada's Truckers Fight Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
'Canadian truckers rule' was Tesla CEO's tweet as drivers headed to Ottawa protest
- Elon Musk has been inserting himself lately into conversations about crypto , but the Tesla and SpaceX CEO shifted gears late in the week to lend support to an entirely different cause. "Canadian truckers rule" was his thumbs-up tweet Thursday, directed toward big-rig drivers headed toward Ottawa for an anti-vaccine...
Truck Driver Who Caused
Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Dec 14, 2021 6:07 PM CST
Truck Driver Who Caused Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Colorado law requires Rogel Aguilera-Mederos to serve 16 sentences consecutively
: A truck driver who slammed into traffic on I-70 in Colorado in 2019, leaving four people dead and six others injured, has been sentenced to 110 years in prison. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, 26, said his brakes failed, but prosecutors said his reckless behavior and bad decisions—especially his failure to...
The Average Truck Driver
Is 54. Enter the Teens
Oct 20, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
The Average Truck Driver Is 54. Enter the Teens
California high school training program among the first of its kind
- They have fewer years of experience on this planet than the number of wheels on the truck. But that's not stopping California high school students from learning how to drive an 18-wheeler—an opportunity that might help resolve a purported shortage of truck drivers . Patterson High School is one...
Truck Drivers Warned
About 'Stowaway Game'
Oct 5, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Truck Drivers Warned About 'Stowaway Game'
People have been seen riding the outside of moving trucks
- A man critically injured on a highway in Nashville Monday night may have been playing an incredibly dangerous game. Nashville police say the man was seen on the side of Interstate 40 trying to stop vehicles. Police say he jumped on a stopped tractor-trailer "for reasons unknown" and fell...
Gas Situation in the UK
Is a Little Crazy Right Now
Sep 27, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Gas Situation in the UK Is a Little Crazy Right Now
Shortage of truck drivers so severe that troops may have to fill in
- Lines of cars formed at British gas stations for a fourth day on Monday, as the government mulled sending in the army to help ease the supply disruptions triggered by a shortage of truck drivers. As unions called for emergency workers to be given priority for fuel supplies, Petrol Retailers...
These Are the Jobs Your
Partner Wishes You Had
Aug 19, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
These Are the Jobs Your Partner Wishes You Had
Zippia lists most, least attractive jobs for a partner from the perspective of men and women
- Working in health care probably doesn't feel all that sexy during a pandemic. But it does look that way in a new survey. Zippia asked 1,000 workers about what common jobs they thought were most attractive for a romantic partner out of a list of 250, and the...
Gas Industry Is
Running Out of Drivers
Apr 27, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Gas Industry Is Running Out of Drivers
Driver shortage could cause gas shortages this summer, industry warns
- Demand for gas is now nearly at pre-pandemic levels and could hit new highs this summer—but the industry is desperately low on drivers who can bring it to gas stations. Industry groups say there's no current shortage of gas, but the chronic shortage of tanker truck drivers has...
FBI: Truck Drivers Kidnapped
Women, Demanded Ransom
Apr 20, 2021 4:41 PM CDT
FBI: Truck Drivers Kidnapped Women, Demanded Ransom
NJ driver accused of kidnapping, assaulting women in at least four states
- The FBI says it is trying to find more potential victims of two long-distance truckers accused of conspiring to kidnap women in multiple states. The FBI says New Jersey-based trucker Brian Summerson contacted women through dating and escort sites and then kidnapped or attempted to kidnap them. An indictment says...
British Troops Work
to Clear 4K Trucks
Dec 25, 2020 2:25 PM CST
British Troops Work to Clear 4K Trucks
Drivers have been living in their cabs since France briefly shut its border over new virus strain
- Around 1,000 British soldiers were spending Christmas Day trying to clear a huge backlog of truck drivers stuck in southeast England after France briefly closed its border to the UK, then demanded coronavirus tests from all amid fears of a new coronavirus variant. Even though an estimated 4,000...
Rape and Kill
Sep 5, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Angry Parents Rape and Kill 'Innocent Man': Reports
Dmitry Chikvarkin was apparently accused of pedophilia
- A Russian mother allegedly gathered her lover and three male friends to rape and kill a man wrongly accused of pedophilia, Metro reports. According to Russian newspapers—and Western tabloids that picked up the story—parents in the town of Verkhnyaya Pyshma let a truck driver, Dmitry Chikvarkin, take their...
'Massive' Vaccine Project
May 15, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Launches 'Massive' Vaccine Project
Truck drivers' horns interrupt Rose Garden speakers
- Describing "a massive scientific industrial and logistical endeavor unlike anything our country has seen since the Manhattan Project," President Trump promised Friday that a new project will deliver a coronavirus vaccine quickly. Trump detailed Operation Warp Speed, a partnership with the private sector, in the Rose Garden and...
Tennessee Authorities Think
They've Nabbed a Serial Killer
May 8, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
Tennessee Authorities Think They've Nabbed a Serial Killer
Suspect Clark Perry Baldwin identified through genetic genealogy
- Authorities in Tennessee believe they've nabbed a serial killer. Clark Perry Baldwin, a 59-year-old former truck driver, was arrested in Iowa Wednesday and charged in the 1991 death of a 24-weeks-pregnant woman in Tennessee. In March 1991, Pamela McCall was been found strangled in Spring Hill, Tenn., a few...
She'd Given Birth 3 Days Earlier.
That Didn't Stop Her Heroism
Feb 21, 2020 1:00 PM CST
She'd Given Birth 3 Days Earlier. That Didn't Stop Her Heroism
Holly McNally, other Good Samaritans helped rescue on-fire truck driver after fuel tanker crash
- An Indianapolis-area mom had quite the week, with a relatively quiet Tuesday and Wednesday bookended by the birth of her fourth child and a heroic rescue. The
reports that Holly McNally, 35, delivered baby Connor on Monday after only a half-hour or so of labor. Connor has had...
Truck Driver in Biker
Crash Could Get Deported
Jun 26, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Truck Driver in Biker Crash Could Get Deported
Mass. license for Volodymyr Zhukovskyy ought to have been suspended after drunk driving arrest
- The 23-year-old truck driver charged with killing seven bikers in a horrific crash in New Hampshire shouldn't have been on the road. Ukrainian national and permanent resident Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, who police say plowed into the bikers with his Dodge 2500 pickup towing a flatbed trailer, was arrested for drunken...
10 Immigrants Died in a Truck.
The Driver Just Pleaded Guilty
Oct 17, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
10 Immigrants Died in a Truck. The Driver Just Pleaded Guilty
James Matthew Bradley Jr. could face life in prison at sentencing
- The driver of a semitrailer packed with at least 39 immigrants, 10 of whom died, pleaded guilty Monday to making the deadly smuggling run. James Matthew Bradley Jr., 61, pleaded Monday in federal court in San Antonio to one conspiracy count and a count of transporting the immigrants resulting in...
Driver Says He
Didn't Know He
Jul 24, 2017 11:54 AM CDT
Truck Deaths: Driver Says He Didn't Know He Carried People
James M. Bradley Jr. charged with transporting immigrants in US illegally
- The tragedy is extreme—now 10 people dead after being contained in a stiflingly hot tractor-trailer parked at a San Antonio Walmart—and so too is the potential sentence for James M. Bradley Jr. In advance of his Monday appearance in federal court, the 60-year-old driver of the truck...
Trucker Worked 16-Hour Days
for as Little as 67 Cents a Week
Jun 16, 2017 5:24 PM CDT
Trucker Worked 16-Hour Days for as Little as 67 Cents a Week
And there are hundreds, if not thousands, like him
- Imagine working a 100-hour week and when payday comes around being told by your employer you
money. That's a real possibility for hundreds—if not thousands—of truck drivers—many of them poor immigrants who don't speak English—working the ports of Los Angeles.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.