Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
7 Children Killed in Fiery
California Highway Crash
Jan 3, 2021 8:00 AM CST
7 Children Killed in Fiery California Highway Crash
Two adults also perished in the Fresno County collision on New Year's Day
- A fiery head-on collision in Central California left nine people dead Saturday, including seven children. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, the New Year's Day tragedy struck on Highway 33 in Fresno County at around 8 p.m. The California Highway Patrol told the paper that officers arrived to the...
Rare, Elderly Birds
Stolen From Fresno Zoo
Nov 30, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Rare, Elderly Birds Stolen From Fresno Zoo
Zoo appeals for public's help, says both birds need specialized care
- Two rare birds stolen from a zoo in California are endangered in more ways than one. The Fresno Chaffee says both birds are from protected species, and they require special care because of their advanced age, the BBC reports. The zoo has urged the public to be on the lookout...
He Was Set to Sell
25K Baseball Cards.
Then He Heard About Reese
Oct 29, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
He Was Set to Sell 25K Baseball Cards. Then He Heard About Reese
California man donates entire collection to 9-year-old girl who lost her own in Creek Fire
- California resident Kevin Ashford planned to sell his collection of 25,000 baseball cards for a small fortune. Instead, he's donated them to a 9-year-old baseball fan and player who lost her home—and the 200 baseball cards she collected over three years—in the devastating Creek Fire. Reese...
State's GOP Accused of Setting
Up Illegal Ballot Drop Boxes
Oct 12, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
State's GOP Accused of Setting Up Illegal Ballot Drop Boxes
Calif.'s Republican Party is trying to claim it's legal 'ballot harvesting,' but SecState is pushing back
- Ballot drop boxes are popping up at churches, gun shops, candidate HQs, and local GOP party offices in three California counties, which would seem on the surface to offer voters lots of options for getting their vote counted. The problem is, these ballot boxes aren't official, and California's...
Driver Doesn't Survive
337-Foot Jump Over River
Jan 23, 2020 7:38 AM CST
Driver Doesn't Survive 337-Foot Jump Over River
David Callahan of Fresno, Calif., cleared the river but his vehicle rolled
- A California man fleeing police managed to hurtle his car some 340 feet across a river, in a move out of
Dukes of Hazzard
, though he paid with his life. The driver, identified as 58-year-old David Callahan, was pronounced dead after police caught up with his battered Mercedes sedan. Callahan...
Cops: Backyard Mass Shooting
Dec 31, 2019 2:48 PM CST
Cops: Backyard Mass Shooting Was Retaliation
6 suspected gang members arrested in Fresno
- A backyard rampage that stunned the close-knit Hmong community in Fresno, California, was carried out by a gang bent on revenge, police say. Six suspected gang members were arrested in the November shooting that left four people dead and six injured, reports the
. Police Chief Andy Hall said...
Fresno Shooting Victims
Include Hmong Singers
Nov 18, 2019 4:30 PM CST
Fresno Shooting Victims Include Hmong Singers
Police have no suspects in the shootings of 10 at house party
- Two of the 10 people shot during a party in Fresno on Sunday night have been identified as prominent Hmong singers. JN Vang was wounded, the
reports, and has undergone surgery. Hmong Talk said on Facebook that a family member confirmed that Xyy Lee was among the four...
At Least 4 Killed
in Mass Shooting
at Fresno Party
Nov 18, 2019 12:38 AM CST
At Least 4 Killed in Mass Shooting at Fresno Party
Suspects snuck into backyard, police say
- At least 10 people were shot Sunday at a party in Fresno in what appears to be a "mass casualty shooting," police say. The shooting took place about 6pm on the city’s southeast side, Fresno police Lt. Bill Dooley says. There was a "family and friend...
Video Shows Police Shoot
Unarmed, Fleeing Teen
Oct 25, 2019 4:10 AM CDT
Video Shows Police Shoot Unarmed, Fleeing Teen
He was 'posing no threat to anybody,' lawyer says
- After 16-year-old Isiah Murrietta-Golding was shot in the back of the head by a Fresno police officer as he ran away from officers in April 2017, police insisted the shooting was justified. A lawyer for the teen's father says newly released video tells a different story. The video, released...
Thinking of Retiring? Keep
These Cities on Your Radar
Sep 4, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Thinking of Retiring? Keep These Cities on Your Radar
The Sunshine State looks especially tempting for your golden years
- Already thinking ahead on where you want to kick back once you stop punching a time clock for good? WalletHub scrutinized more than 180 US cities to suss out which ones seem most appealing for retirees, looking at nearly four dozen key metrics across four categories: affordability (including cost of...
Man Dies During
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 18, 2019 10:23 AM CDT
Man Dies During Taco-Eating Contest
'He was just shoving the tacos down his mouth without chewing,' witness says
- Taco Tuesday ended in tragedy at a minor league baseball game in California. A man taking part in a taco-eating contest at a Fresno Grizzlies game collapsed seven minutes into the competition and was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The coroner's office says 41-year-old Dana Hutchings apparently choked...
Cops: After Woman Rejected
Him, He Shot Her Baby
Jun 25, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Cops: After Woman Rejected Him, He Shot Her Baby
Marcos Echartea, 23, fired into a car and struck infant in the head, say police
- A California man shot a 10-month-old in the head after her mother rejected him at a house party, say police. "It should shock the conscience," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says of the early Sunday shooting, per BuzzFeed . The child is in critical but stable condition after bullet...
May 29, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Baseball Stadium Video Aligns AOC With Kim and Castro
Minor-league team apologizes to Ocasio-Cortez
- A minor-league baseball team has apologized for a Memorial Day scoreboard video that showed Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in league with Kim Jong Un and Fidel Castro as "enemies of freedom." The Fresno Grizzlies have since apologized to the freshman member of Congress, the
Cops: Girl Told
by Mom to 'Hurry'
Under Train Dies
Dec 19, 2018 7:27 AM CST
Cops: Girl Told by Mom to 'Hurry' Under Train Dies
'Worst thing I've ever seen in my life,' witness says of 8-year-old killed in Fresno, Calif.
- Joy Frances Collins didn't want to miss her bus home, so the California mom asked her children to do something they'd done many times before, police say—and now her young daughter is dead. Per Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, Collins, her 9-year-old son, and 8-year-old Joyanna (spelled...
Victim Asked Me to
Clean Crime Scene
Nov 8, 2018 8:11 AM CST
Murder Suspect: Victim Asked Me to Clean Crime Scene
David Pena says estranged wife, stabbed by someone else, didn't want son to see her like that
- Screams for help weren't Martha Mendiola's last words, per the California man accused of trying to kill her. Her estranged husband David Pena instead says she said to him: "I love you. Please don't let [my son] see me like this." That's the story...
2-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots
Self After Finding Gun
Jul 8, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
2-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots Self After Finding Gun
It happened Saturday in Fresno, California
- A California toddler has died after authorities say he accidentally shot himself. The tragedy occurred in a Fresno neighborhood, where police arrived to a call Saturday. Per ABC 30 , police said the boy's parent was not at home at the time, but that two adults were. Police said they...
He Saved Them From Tragedy
in 1971. Now, a Thank You
Feb 10, 2018 2:59 PM CST
He Saved Them From Tragedy in 1971. Now, a Thank You
Family meets man who pulled baby from burning house nearly 50 years ago
- It took nearly 50 years, but a California family was finally able to thank the mysterious man who saved them from an unimaginable tragedy one night in 1971. The
reports 24-year-old Rick Freund was driving home when he saw a women and three young girls standing outside a...
Sheriff's Office Makes
Unusual Offer to NFL Players
Sep 29, 2017 2:17 AM CDT
Sheriff's Office Makes Unusual Offer to NFL Players
They can ride along in patrol cars in Fresno any time
- The Fresno County Sheriff’s Office is making an offer to NFL players in response to the national anthem protests. The office says players are welcome to ride along with deputies during patrol shifts in the California county, the
reports. "We welcome the opportunity to share what...
Starbucks Robbery Suspect
Plans to Sue Customer
Sep 21, 2017 2:27 AM CDT
Starbucks Robbery Suspect Plans to Sue Customer
Fresno police chief says idea of lawsuit is 'ludicrous'
- A California man who tried to rob a Starbucks armed with a knife and a fake gun is now planning to sue the man who stopped him, according to his parents. Ryan Flores, 30, was stabbed repeatedly with his own knife in a fight with customer Cregg Jerri, 58, who...
'Despair' Led to College Prof's
'Trump Must Hang' Tweet
Apr 19, 2017 9:11 AM CDT
'Despair' Led to College Prof's 'Trump Must Hang' Tweet
And to Lars Maischak's paid leave from Fresno State
- An ill-advised tweet about President Trump has led to a "voluntary leave of absence" for a history instructor at Fresno State, per a university statement cited by the
. Fresno State President Joseph Castro says Lars Maischak will spend the rest of the spring semester doing research instead...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.