Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Male Lion Kills Intended
Female Partner at Alabama Zoo
Jul 19, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
Male Lion Kills Intended Female Partner at Alabama Zoo
Akili was fatally injured by a lion named Josh
- A female lion was fatally injured while being introduced to a newly acquired male companion at the Birmingham Zoo in Alabama, officials said Tuesday. Akili, who was born in 2005 in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and had been at the Birmingham Zoo since 2007, couldn't be saved after being injured...
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to
Much More Innocuous Find
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to Much More Innocuous Find
It was a shopping bag with a lion's face on it in the bushes outside a Kenyan home
- A farmhand in Kenya may be feeling a little foolish today, but also pretty lucky: His anxiety-ridden "stray lion" sighting turned out not to be a lion after all. The BBC reports on the incident that took place in Kinyana, a village not far from Mount Kenya National Park,...
at Bronx Zoo
Been Her 2nd
Nov 12, 2021 4:15 PM CST
Woman's Stunt at Bronx Zoo May Have Been Her 2nd
Police are seeking trespasser who climbed over barrier at lion exhibit, much like incident in 2019
- An incident at the Bronx Zoo this week was reminiscent of one that took place about two years ago in the same spot—and it looks like it may have been a stunt pulled off by the same perpetrator. NBC News reports that at around 4pm on Thursday, a blonde...
9 Big Cats at National Zoo
Being Treated for COVID
Sep 18, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
9 Big Cats at National Zoo Being Treated for COVID
Keepers aren't sure how the lions and tigers got sick
- Lions and tigers and … COVID? Several big cats at the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, DC, have tested positive after showing symptoms like decreased appetite, lethargy, and sneezing, per NBC 4 Washington . Zoo officials aren’t sure how the big cats got sick—they’re too far from visitors...
6 Lions Dead, Mutilated
in Uganda Wildlife Park
Mar 21, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
6 Lions Dead, Mutilated in Uganda Wildlife Park
Dead vultures suggest how it happened
- Six dead lions were found in a renowned African wildlife park and officials say there are clues it was foul play. Per NPR , the Uganda Wildlife Authority said in a statement that the animals were discovered Friday in Queen Elizabeth National Park with their body parts missing and dead scavengers...
Lions Eat Teen
in Safari Park
Feb 27, 2020 3:19 AM CST
Lions Eat Teen in Safari Park
Pakistan teen had gone out to cut grass for cattle fodder
- A teenager in Pakistan who went out to cut grass for cattle fodder ended up being eaten by lions in a safari park, authorities say. The remains of 17-year-old Muhammed Bilal were found Wednesday in the lion enclosure at Lahore Safari, the BBC reports. The teen, who lived in a...
Plight of Skeletal Lions
Grabs Globe's Attention
Jan 22, 2020 12:05 PM CST
Plight of Skeletal Lions Grabs Globe's Attention
They're in a Sudanese zoo
- The photos are jarring and have been seen around the world: malnourished lions kept in rusted cages at a Sudanese zoo that can no longer afford to care for them. Osman Salih, the activist who first posted the photos to Facebook , wrote that "their bones are protruding from the...
2 Weeks After Death of Mate,
Lion Falls Into Zoo Moat, Dies
Jan 15, 2020 4:36 PM CST
2 Weeks After Death of Mate, Lion Falls Into Zoo Moat, Dies
Isis died less than 2 weeks after her mate was put down at Brookfield Zoo near Chicago
- A 14-year-old lion at the Brookfield Zoo near Chicago mysteriously fell into her enclosure's dry moat and died less than two weeks after her mate was put down for age-related issues, officials said. After the female African lion named Isis didn't show any signs of recovery from the...
Zoo Shocked After
Lioness Eats Newborns
Aug 9, 2019 2:51 AM CDT
Zoo Shocked After Lioness Eats Newborns
Keepers can't explain Kigali's behavior
- Keepers at the Leipzig Zoo in eastern Germany say Kigali the lioness gave birth to two cubs last Friday, and she initially seemed to be caring for them normally. Then, to their horror, she ate them. Zoo officials say they were shocked by the behavior of the lioness, who had...
They Went to See the Lions.
They Got a 'Bit Too Close'
May 17, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
They Went to See the Lions. They Got a 'Bit Too Close'
4-year-old girl in critical condition after attack at lion farm in South Africa
- The owner of a South African lion farm has conceded that the big cats in his charge sometimes "play a little rough," but an incident at the farm Sunday went far beyond play, leaving a 4-year-old girl in bad shape after one of the lions reached through a...
He Kept 2 Lions in His Yard.
The Inevitable Just Happened
in case you missed it
Mar 9, 2019 3:04 PM CST
He Kept 2 Lions in His Yard. The Inevitable Just Happened
Czech Michal Prasek mauled to death on family farm
- When Michal Prasek was attacked by a lion in 2012, he admitted it was his own fault. "Every morning I went to feed it, but this time I put on a coat that smelled of dogs," the amateur lion breeder said, per the UK Week . He added that...
Lion Cub Rescued
Nov 15, 2018 12:10 AM CST
Lion Cub Rescued From Lamborghini
Paris cops found it during traffic stop
- Paris police officers found a lion cub in a Lamborghini during a traffic stop on the city's famed Champs-Elysees. The cub, named Putin but known as Dadou, is less than two months old, according to the French animal protection agency now caring for it. The agency, 30 Million Friends...
Lioness at Zoo Kills
Father of Her 3 Cubs
Oct 22, 2018 1:50 AM CDT
Lioness at Zoo Kills Father of Her 3 Cubs
Zookeepers in Indianapolis aren't sure what happened
- A female lion at the Indianapolis Zoo killed a male that had previously sired three of her cubs. Per IndyStar , a zoo statement says the 10-year-old male African lion named Nyack died last week after zookeepers heard noises coming from their habitat and discovered him with female Zuri's jaws...
Jogger Finds Abandoned Lion
Oct 8, 2018 1:06 AM CDT
Jogger Finds Abandoned Lion
It was in a small cage in a Dutch field
- Police in the Netherlands are trying to track down the person who left a lion cub abandoned in a small cage in the middle of a field. The cub was spotted by an astonished jogger near the village of Tienhoven, north of Utrecht, the BBC reports. A veterinarian examined the...
Zoo Criticized for
Killing Escaped Lion
Jun 22, 2018 12:27 AM CDT
Zoo Criticized for Killing Escaped Lion
'This is a nightmare for every zoo director'
- A lion on the loose forced the evacuation of one of Belgium's most famous zoos Thursday, and the animal was killed after several failed attempts to sedate it. Planckendael zoo was evacuated for several hours in peak school-trip season as security tried to get the female lion back in...
Lion Mauls Man Who
Bottle-Fed Him as a Cub
May 3, 2018 2:10 AM CDT
Lion Mauls Man Who Bottle-Fed Him as a Cub
Michael Hodge suffered lacerations and a broken jaw
- The owner of a wildlife park in South Africa is recovering from several lacerations and a broken jaw after a lion attack on Saturday, reports
. Michael Hodge was investigating a strange smell in the lion's enclosure at the Marakele Animal Sanctuary , near Thabazimbi; it seemed to be disturbing...
Zookeeper Killed by Lion May
Have Forgotten to Shut Gate
Mar 26, 2018 7:30 PM CDT
Zookeeper Killed by Lion May Have Forgotten to Shut Gate
He was killed by the animal as he cleaned the enclosure in Mexico
- Authorities said Monday a zoo employee who was killed by a lion in central Mexico may have forgotten to shut a gate that separated the animal's feeding and sleeping areas. Mexico's office for environmental protection said an inspection of the enclosure showed no holes or breaches where the...
Zoo Unravels Mystery of
Lioness Who Sprouted a Mane
Mar 24, 2018 5:31 PM CDT
Zoo Unravels Mystery of Lioness Who Sprouted a Mane
Tests reveal what's up with Bridget
- Lab results have revealed the answer to a mystery at an Oklahoma zoo: Just what caused a female lion to sprout a mane. The Oklahoma City Zoo says in its March newsletter that testing at the University of Tennessee found the African lioness named Bridget has an elevated level of...
Took 3 Lions for Walk.
It Did Not End Well
Feb 28, 2018 8:41 AM CST
'Lion Whisperer' Took 3 Lions for Walk. It Did Not End Well
22-year-old woman mauled to death in South Africa
- A lion that mauled a young woman to death in South Africa was under the care of a man known as the "lion whisperer" for his close interactions with the predators in his animal sanctuary. Kevin Richardson, who keeps lions at his "intimate glam camp" in the Dinokeng...
Cecil the Lion's
Jul 20, 2017 4:40 PM CDT
Cecil the Lion's Son Meets Similar End
Xanda's death was 'all within the stipulated regulations'
- The death of Cecil the lion at the hands of a Minnesota dentist caused international outrage in 2015. Now one of Cecil's offspring, 6-year-old Xanda, has been killed by a trophy hunter near the site of his father's demise, the
reports. The death of Xanda just outside...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.