Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Catholic Church sex scandals
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 5, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Report: French Catholic Church Showed 'Cruel Indifference'
Commission finds 330K children may have been sexually abused by clergy, laypeople since 1950
- A new report slams the Catholic Church for "cruel indifference," with clergy in France accused of sexually abusing an estimated 216,000 children since 1950. Jean-Marc Sauve, head of the inquiry commissioned by the French Catholic Church, says most of the victims over the past seven decades were...
for Church Sex
Jun 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
On Punishments for Church Sex Abuse, a 'Significant Rewrite'
Pope Francis signs off on first major update to penal sanctions since 1980s
- A slew of new rules on how to handle sexual abuse within the Catholic Church has received the official green light from Pope Francis, updating a penal system that's been in place for 40 years. The
calls it "the most significant rewrite of canon law" since...
Vatican Report: John Paul II
to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Nov 10, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Vatican Report: John Paul II to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Probe into disgraced cardinal lets Pope Francis off the hook, blames other bishops, cardinals, popes
- A Vatican probe into ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has found that a series of bishops, cardinals, and even popes downplayed or dismissed reports he slept with seminarians, and determined that Pope Francis merely continued his predecessors' naive handling of the predator until a former altar boy alleged abuse. The Vatican took...
He Wrote Famous Hymns,
Is Accused of Sex Misconduct
Aug 10, 2020 1:47 PM CDT
He Wrote Famous Hymns, Is Accused of Sex Misconduct
Claims against David Haas, 63, date back 4 decades
- "There’s practically not a hymnal in existence that doesn’t include Haas songs," a Catholic theologian says of songs by composer David Haas. But the
New York Times
reports 10 of the 32 Roman Catholic archdioceses in the US have instructed their churches to no longer play...
Convicted of Sex Abuse
Is a Free Man
Apr 7, 2020 12:06 AM CDT
Highest-Ranking Catholic Convicted of Sex Abuse Is a Free Man
Cardinal George Pell cleared of child sex abuse, released from prison Tuesday
- Australia's highest court on Tuesday dismissed the convictions of the most senior Catholic found guilty of child sex crimes, the AP reports. Cardinal George Pell welcomed the news and said his trial had not been a referendum on the Catholic Church’s handling of the clergy sex abuse crisis....
AP Has Big Issues With
Church Sex-Offender List
Dec 28, 2019 4:30 PM CST
AP Has Big Issues With Church Sex-Offender List
Over 900 accused clergy members are missing
- Richard J. Poster served time for possessing child pornography, violated his probation by having contact with children, admitted masturbating near a church school, and in 2005 was put on a sex offender registry. And yet the former Catholic priest was only just this month added to a list of clergy...
Child Sex Convictions
Upheld for Former
Vatican No. 3
Aug 21, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Child Sex Convictions Upheld for Former Vatican No. 3
Pell to be stripped of Order of Australia honor
- An Australian appeals court by a 2-1 ruling Wednesday upheld convictions against Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Catholic to be found guilty of sexually abusing children . The Victoria state Court of Appeal rejected Pell's appeal of a unanimous jury verdict in December that he was guilty of molesting...
Ex-Cardinal's Letters Show
Grooming for Abuse: Experts
Aug 6, 2019 3:39 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal's Letters Show Grooming for Abuse: Experts
Theodore McCarrick made young men feel special, they say
- At first glance, the handwritten postcards and letters look innocuous, even warm, sometimes signed "Uncle T." or "Your uncle, Father Ted." But taken in context, the correspondence penned by disgraced ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick to the young men he is accused of sexually abusing or harassing is...
Aug 4, 2019 10:17 AM CDT
Pope Comforts Priests Paying for Crimes of Others
Clergy has told him of outrage over sexual abuse, Francis says
- Pope Francis on Sunday sent a new letter to priests worldwide offering encouragement in light of the global sexual abuse scandal that has shaken the Roman Catholic Church. In a nearly 5,000-word letter sent on the feast day of St. John Vianney, patron of parish priests, the pope acknowledged...
Why Accused Priests Came
to This Michigan Building
Jul 29, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Why Accused Priests Came to This Michigan Building
AP looks at under-the-radar group Opus Bono Sacerdotii
- The visiting priests arrived discreetly, day and night. Stripped of their collars and cassocks, they went unnoticed in the tiny Midwestern town of Dryden, Mich., as they were escorted into a dingy warehouse across from an elementary school playground. They had been brought to town by a small nonprofit group...
to Pin Sex Abuse on
Apr 11, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
Benedict Emerges to Pin Sex Abuse on Sexual Revolution
He publishes a 6K-word letter 'to assist in this difficult hour'
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has emerged from the shadows with a new letter that assigns blame for the clergy abuse crisis. In a 6,000-word letter whose authenticity was confirmed by Benedict's personal secretary, Benedict begins by writing that his remarks are intended "to assist in this difficult...
In Significant Move,
Pope Defines the Term
Mar 29, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
In Significant Move, Pope Defines the Term 'Vulnerable Adults'
As part of new law requiring Vatican personnel, Holy See diplomats report abuse allegations
- Pope Francis on Friday issued sweeping new sex abuse legislation for Vatican personnel and Holy See diplomats that requires the immediate reporting of abuse allegations to Vatican prosecutors, a policy shift aimed at being a model for the Catholic Church worldwide. The mandatory reporting provision, while limited in scope, marks...
West Virginia to
Diocese: You 'Knowingly
Mar 19, 2019 1:29 PM CDT
West Virginia to Diocese: You 'Knowingly Employed Pedophiles'
State files suit against diocese, bishop
- Parents entrusted their children to West Virginia's Wheeling-Charleston Diocese schools and camps—not knowing who their children were potentially being exposed to. The West Virginia attorney general has filed a lawsuit against the diocese accusing it of not conducting adequate background checks for its employees, including priests, and not...
Catholic Diocese Is Not
R. Kelly Joke
Mar 13, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
Catholic Diocese Is Not Amused by
R. Kelly Joke
Church demands NBC apologize for the skit
has landed itself in a little holy hot water: Catholic officials in New York City are demanding the show and NBC apologize after a skit compared the Church’s sex abuse scandals to allegations against R. Kelly. The Diocese of Brooklyn released a statement on Monday heavily criticizing the...
Accused Pedophile Priest
Now a Homicide Victim
Mar 13, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
Accused Pedophile Priest Now a Homicide Victim
Dozens in New Jersey alleged John Capparelli had sexually abused them when they were boys
- John Capparelli traveled across the US three years ago, hoping to leave the sexual abuse allegations about him behind on the East Coast, and many in the defrocked priest's Henderson, Nev., neighborhood may have had no clue about his past. That history came to light this week after Capparelli,...
Former Vatican No. 3
Sentenced for Sexual Abuse
Mar 13, 2019 1:17 AM CDT
Former Vatican No. 3 Sentenced for Sexual Abuse
6 years isn't long enough, victim's father says
- The most senior Catholic ever convicted of child sex abuse is on his way to an Australian prison, and a judge acknowledged Tuesday that there is a strong chance Cardinal George Pell will die there. Victoria state County Court Chief Judge Peter Kidd sentenced the 77-year-old to six years in...
Cardinal's Lawyer Sorry for
Referring to Rape as 'Vanilla'
Feb 28, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Cardinal's Lawyer Sorry for Referring to Rape as 'Vanilla'
Robert Richter issues apology after 'sleepless night'
- The defense lawyer for the man who was once the third highest-ranking official in the Catholic Church—and who's now awaiting sentencing for attacks on two 13-year-old choirboys in Australia—is apologizing for referring to the crimes as "plain" and "vanilla." The assaults by George Pell,...
Feb 27, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Judge Sends Disgraced Cardinal to Prison
He was unswayed by reference from ex-PM
- The former third highest-ranking official in the Catholic Church is now the newest inmate in the Melbourne Assessment Prison. Cardinal George Pell, who has been found guilty of sexually assaulting two children , will spend his first night behind bars Wednesday after being remanded into custody pending sentencing, reports Reuters . The...
3rd Highest-Ranking Catholic
Convicted of Abusing Children
Feb 26, 2019 12:06 AM CST
3rd Highest-Ranking Catholic Convicted of Abusing Children
Cardinal George Pell, who has been a close adviser to the pope, faces prison in Australia
- One of the most powerful men in the Roman Catholic Church, a close adviser to the pope, has been convicted of child sexual abuse. A jury found Australian Cardinal George Pell guilty of one count of sexually penetrating a child under the age of 16 and four charges of an...
Pope Francis: Predator Priests
Become 'Tool of Satan'
Feb 24, 2019 11:05 AM CST
Pope Francis: Predator Priests Become 'Tool of Satan'
Francis closes out summit on sexual abuse with harsh words, but leaves survivors disappointed
- Pope Francis closed out a four-day summit meant to tackle the sexual abuse scandal that has roiled the Catholic Church for decades, reports the AP , promising that abusive priests will face "the wrath of God." The pontiff compared sexual abuse to "the cruel religious practice ... of sacrificing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
Salvation Army Racism Guide Angers Some Conservatives
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.