Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
There's a Reason You Can
Find Pizza Deals Monday
Mar 14, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
There's a Reason You Can Find Pizza Deals Monday
Happy Pi Day
- Monday is March 14, otherwise known as 3/14, otherwise known as Pi Day, otherwise known as the day when merchants use math to sell pizzas and pies of all kinds.
It is, of course, a reference to the mathematical constant of pi, the ratio of a circle's
The World Has
a New Pi Champ
Mar 14, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
The World Has a New Pi Champ
Google's Emma Iwao calculates it to 31 trillion digits
- It's Pi Day, the 3/14 celebration of perhaps the most famous number in history. Google is celebrating with a record-breaking feat: One of its employees calculated pi to 31 trillion digits, 9 trillion more than the previous record, with help from cloud computing, reports the BBC . Emma Hauka Iwao...
8 Things to Know on
the 29th Annual Pi Day
Mar 14, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
8 Things to Know on the 29th Annual Pi Day
It's a great day to celebrate with math...or pie
- Tuesday is Pi Day, the only holiday that caters exclusively to math nerds who love puns and baked goods. Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, a never-ending number that begins 3.14—hence it being honored on March 14. Here are eight things to...
Here Are 3.14-Plus
Fun Ways to
Celebrate Pi Day
Mar 14, 2016 9:27 AM CDT
Here Are 3.14-Plus Fun Ways to Celebrate Pi Day
Including checking out old-time pie pics, learning how to cut the perfect slice
- Time is a flat circle in which we do the same things over and over again—or, in the case of Pi Day, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, celebrated over and over again each year on March 14. Here's 2016's homage...
Pi Day Is Especially
Remarkable This Year
Mar 14, 2015 6:29 AM CDT
Pi Day Is Especially Remarkable This Year
Math fans, get excited for 9:26am
- It's a big day for math lovers—even bigger than your typical Pi Day . The event is celebrated on March 14, or 3/14, each year in honor of the number, whose first digits are 3.14. But a single second this year marks a once-in-a-century occurrence that covers the...
Girl, 13, Has
2.3K Digits of Pi
Mar 20, 2014 12:55 PM CDT
Girl, 13, Has Memorized 2.3K Digits of Pi
She recites 1.7K in competition to win prize
- On Friday, March 14—dubbed "Pi Day" because, well, 3/14—13-year-old Rachel Ooi won $314.15 (yes, 1 and 5 are the next two digits in pi) by reciting 1,715 digits of pi from memory. And that's not the best she can do: Ooi tells the
Happy Pi Day
Mar 14, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
Happy Pi Day
It's a happy occasion for number nerds
- Microsoft is offering 3.14% off Dell tablets today, notes
. The Your Pie pizza chain is offering pizzas for $3.14 all day in the Southeast. And Caltech students began a pie party at 1:59am featuring 130 pies—26 varieties of five each. Which, as the
Here Comes Tau
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2011 1:30 PM CDT
Forget Pi, Here Comes Tau
Using a new constant would simplify things, say experts
- You don't need to be a mathematician to appreciate pi: Children everywhere can tell you it's 3.14, and it's even celebrated on 3-14. But now experts are arguing that pi, which references the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, be replaced with a...
Number Nerds + Pi Day =
Big Geek Fun
Mar 14, 2010 1:59 PM CDT
Number Nerds + Pi Day = Big Geek Fun
Eat some pie, write a 'pi-ku,' and wish Albert Einstein a happy birthday
- Today is 3/14, better known to the math-loving community as Pi Day, an international celebration of the irrational number and, for some, its almost-namesake dessert. In honor of the occasion, the iconic logo on the Google homepage has transformed into a collection of formulas that use pi. To celebrate, write...
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.