Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
British Judge Gives Formal
Approval to Assange Extradition
Apr 20, 2022 10:09 AM CDT
British Judge Gives Formal Approval to Assange Extradition
But there's still one more step
- A British judge on Wednesday formally approved the extradition of Julian Assange to the United States to face spying charges. The case will now go to Britain’s interior minister for a decision, though the WikiLeaks founder still has legal avenues of appeal, reports the AP . The order, which brings...
Julian Assange Is
Now a Married Man
Mar 24, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
Julian Assange Is Now a Married Man
WikiLeaks founder weds Stella Moris at high-security Belmarsh Prison in London
- Ladies, Julian Assange is now officially off the market. On Wednesday, the WikiLeaks founder married lawyer Stella Moris at his home of three years—London's high-security Belmarsh Prison—in a small ceremony that included the happy couple of seven years, their two young children, Assange's father and brother,...
Julian Assange Has Big
Setback in Extradition Fight
Mar 14, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Julian Assange Has Big Setback in Extradition Fight
Britain's Supreme Court refuses to hear appeal
: In a huge blow to Julian Assange's hopes of avoiding extradition to the US, Britain's top court has refused to hear his appeal. The British Supreme Court said the WikiLeaks founder's appeal of the December decision allowing extradition "did not raise an arguable point of...
Mar 14, 2022 12:26 AM CDT
Julian Assange Getting Married March 23
Stella Moris says the couple is 'very excited'
- He got permission to wed last year, and now, Julian Assange is doing just that. On March 23, the WikiLeaks founder will marry his fiancee, Stella Moris, in the London prison where he's currently locked up, the
reports. Just four guests will be allowed at the Belmarsh prison...
US Wins Its Appeal to
Extradite Julian Assange
Dec 10, 2021 5:41 AM CST
US Wins Its Appeal to Extradite Julian Assange
The extradition request now passes to the home secretary
- "The court allows the appeal," wrote a UK judge in granting the United States' request to extradite Julian Assange. The US was appealing a Jan. 4 ruling that denied the extradition request on the basis of Assange's mental health concerns, with the judge in that case saying...
Can Now Get
Nov 12, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Julian Assange Can Now Get Married
Stella Moris had said the couple was being blocked from wedding
Julian Assange has been given permission to marry his fiancee in prison. The WikiLeaks founder and Stella Moris must pay all the costs themselves, with no taxpayer money involved, the BBC reports. Moris reportedly said she's "relieved that reason prevailed" and that she hopes "there will...
US Agrees to Let Assange
Do Time in Australia
Oct 27, 2021 6:14 PM CDT
US Agrees to Let Assange Do Time in Australia
British court hears assurances about WikiLeaks founder's possible imprisonment
- The US has tweaked its position on the potential imprisonment of Julian Assange in an effort to get a British court to allow his extradition. If he's convicted in the US, the WikiLeaks founder will be allowed to serve his sentence in an Australian prison, ABC Australia reports. The...
Report: CIA Considered
Sep 27, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Report: CIA Considered Assassinating Assange
Yahoo investigation says former chief Pompeo was 'seeing blood'
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is currently imprisoned in London, but a Yahoo News investigation suggests things could have gone much worse for him. The story asserts that the CIA under Mike Pompeo and former President Trump considered kidnapping or even killing Assange while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian...
Julian Assange's Citizenship
Jul 28, 2021 12:11 AM CDT
Ecuador Revokes Julian Assange's Citizenship
Wikileaks founder's lawyer pledges to appeal
- Ecuador has revoked the citizenship of Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks who is currently in a British prison. Ecuador’s justice system formally notified the Australian of the nullity of his naturalization in a letter that came in response to a claim filed by the South American country’s...
Pink Floyd Co-Founder Has
Harsh Words for Zuckerberg
Jun 15, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Pink Floyd Co-Founder Has Harsh Words for Zuckerberg
Roger Waters calls Facebook CEO a 'little prick' after offer to use song
- Pink Floyd co-founder and bassist Roger Waters had a strong reaction to Facebook's request to use one of the band's songs in an ad promoting Instagram: "F--- you. No f---ing way." Waters went into detail about the offer during a Thursday event in honor of Julian...
Jan 10, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Assange Awaits Decision Monday
WikiLeaks founder faces extradition from UK
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange will find out Monday whether he can be extradited from the UK to the US to face espionage charges over the publication of secret American military documents. District Judge Vanessa Baraitser is due to deliver her decision at London's Old Bailey courthouse at 10am Monday,...
Gets More Bad News
Jan 6, 2021 6:41 AM CST
WikiLeaks Founder Gets More Bad News
UK judge denies bail to Julian Assange, saying he's a flight risk
- A UK judge on Wednesday denied bail to WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange, who has been jailed in Britain since 2019 as he fights extradition to the US. District Judge Vanessa Baraitser ordered Assange to remain in prison while the courts consider an appeal by US authorities against a decision not...
One Country Is Prepared
to Offer Assange Asylum
Jan 4, 2021 2:40 PM CST
One Country Is Prepared to Offer Assange Asylum
That would be Mexico, according to President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
- Julian Assange won't be extradited to America, but he could be North America-bound. Reuters reports that in the wake of a British judge's rejection of a US request to extradite the WikiLeaks founder, Mexico announced it is ready to welcome Assange. "I’m going to ask the...
UK Judge Refuses
to Extradite Assange
Jan 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
UK Judge Refuses to Extradite Assange
Says he would surely kill himself in an American prison
- A British judge has rejected the United States’ request to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to face espionage charges, saying it would be “oppressive” because of his mental health, reports the AP . District Judge Vanessa Baraitser said Monday that Assange was likely to commit suicide if sent to the...
Assange Outburst Leads to
'Clear Warning' From Judge
Sep 8, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Assange Outburst Leads to 'Clear Warning' From Judge
WikiLeaks founder on thin ice after shouting during witness testimony in London courtroom
- A judge threatened to have Julian Assange thrown from the London courtroom where he's fighting extradition to the US from Britain on Tuesday after he shouted from the dock during witness testimony. "If you interrupt proceedings and disrupt a witness who is properly giving their evidence, it is...
Assange, in Court,
Loses Bid for Delay
Sep 7, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Assange, in Court, Loses Bid for Delay
Lawyers argued they didn't have time to prepare for broadened US case
- A British judge on Monday rejected a request by lawyers for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to delay his extradition hearing until next year to give his lawyers more time to respond to US allegations that he conspired with hackers to obtain classified information, per the AP . The adjournment request came...
DOJ: Assange Was
on an International
Jun 25, 2020 7:07 AM CDT
DOJ: Assange Was on an International Hacking Mission
New indictment says WikiLeaks founder tried to recruit hackers in Europe, Asia
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange sought to recruit hackers at conferences in Europe and Asia who could provide his anti-secrecy website with classified info, and conspired with members of hacking groups, per a new Justice Department indictment Wednesday. The superseding indictment doesn't contain additional charges beyond the 18 counts the...
Free on Bail
Jun 1, 2020 4:33 PM CDT
Australians Want Assange Free on Bail
WikiLeaks founder skips court hearing
- Julian Assange refused to attend a court hearing Monday in England, even as a group of Australian lawmakers, journalists and human rights advocates pushed for him to be released on bail. A judge in London said an email from the prison where the WikiLeaks founder is being held said that...
Stone to Assange:
'I'll Bring Down the
Entire House of Cards'
Apr 29, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Stone to Assange: 'I'll Bring Down the Entire House of Cards'
Documents reveal 2017 communications, 2016 political influence campaign
- President Trump's associate Roger Stone used hundreds of fake Facebook accounts to push stories related to Russia and WikiLeaks around the 2016 election, while keeping in contact with Julian Assange, according to former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators. One of dozens of search warrants unsealed Tuesday indicates Stone...
Woman Reveals Her
Julian Assange Secret
Apr 12, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Woman Reveals Her Julian Assange Secret
Stella Morris says they had 2 children together
- Looks like Julian Assange had a secret life in the Ecuadorian Embassy. A woman claims in a new video that she had two children with the WikiLeaks founder as he hid in the embassy in London, the
reports. "I love Julian deeply and I am looking forward...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.