Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Elon Musk: I Can't Close
the Twitter Deal Like This
May 17, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
Elon Musk: I Can't Close the Twitter Deal Like This
Acquisition is stalled, he says, until there's more information on spam and fake accounts
- Elon Musk shook things up Tuesday, beginning the day with a tweeted warning that his acquisition of Twitter is in doubt. "This deal cannot move forward," Musk wrote, until he receives more data about the amount of spam and the number of fake accounts on the platform, the...
Now in Elon Musk's
Twitter Drama: Poop Emoji
May 17, 2022 5:32 AM CDT
Now in Elon Musk's Twitter Drama: Poop Emoji
So this is where we're at now
- Monday's discourse in the ongoing Elon Musk vs. Twitter saga was not exactly, shall we say, refined. In a tweet reply to the social media company's CEO, Musk simply posted a poop emoji. The thread Musk was responding to involved Parag Agrawal talking about spam accounts, and insisting...
Musk Might Have Ulterior
Motives in Surprise Move
May 13, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Musk Might Have Ulterior Motives in Surprise Move
It could be a bargaining ploy, or he could be trying to avoid a big penalty for ditching the deal
- Elon Musk surprised the tech world Friday morning by putting his deal to buy Twitter on hold. His stated reason is that he needs to investigate just how many spam accounts are on the platform, but one theme in coverage is that industry analysts sound pretty skeptical about that:
Elon Musk Says Twitter Deal
Is 'Temporarily on Hold'
May 13, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Elon Musk Says Twitter Deal Is 'Temporarily on Hold'
He wants to know more about estimate of number of fake or spam accounts
- Twitter's share price sank as much as 25% in pre-market trading Friday after Elon Musk declared in an early morning tweet that his bid to buy the company was "temporarily on hold." He included a link to a May 2 Reuters report on a Twitter filing estimating...
Account Just to
May 12, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Ukrainian Soldier Creates Twitter Account Just to Contact Musk
'Help us get out of Azovstal,' the commander tweets from besieged steel plant in Mariupol
- Serhiy Volyna only recently created a Twitter account, and he's so far tweeted just once and is following just one person. That person is Elon Musk, who was also the subject of the Ukrainian commander's one tweet, reports the AFP . "People say you come from another planet...
Judge Says Musk Made
Knowingly False Statements
May 12, 2022 4:59 AM CDT
Judge Says Musk Made Knowingly False Statements
Next, a jury will need to decide how much damage he caused
- In a pre-trial ruling, a federal judge in California has determined that Elon Musk was "inaccurate and reckless" when—out of the blue one summer morning in 2018—he tweeted, "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” Musk had indeed talked to Saudi investors about...
Elon Musk Answers
the Big Trump Question
May 10, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Elon Musk Answers the Big Trump Question
He says he would lift ban on former president if he ends up owning Twitter
- Elon Musk has answered one of the biggest questions raised in the wake of his bid to buy Twitter : The entrepreneur said Tuesday he would lift the ban on Donald Trump, reports CNBC . “Permanent bans should be extremely rare and really reserved for accounts that are bots, or scam,...
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention
Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
May 5, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
Spot mocks loudmouths who want to 'fly away on their personal spaceships'
- Ford is out with a new TV spot that
says "appears to be a subtle shot" at Elon Musk in the auto wars. That might be understating things. While the ad does not mention Musk by name, the implication is clear and full of snark. “Right...
Musk Pulls In $7B for Twitter
From Silicon Valley Bigwigs
May 5, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Musk Pulls In $7B for Twitter From Silicon Valley Bigwigs
$1B of investor backing is coming from Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, per SEC filing
- Billionaire Elon Musk has strengthened the equity stake of his offer to buy Twitter, with commitments of more than $7 billion from a range of investors, including Silicon Valley heavy hitters like Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison. Other investors include Sequoia Capital Fund, which pledged $800 million, and Vy Capital, which...
Had a Very
Apr 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Jeff Bezos' Bank Account Had a Very Bad Day
Stock slide shrinks founder's personal wealth by $18B
- It took a single day for the effects of Amazon's quarterly loss to be brought home to Jeff Bezos. The company's founder fell Friday to No. 3 on the list of the world's richest people, after Amazon reported Thursday that it had lost $3.8 billion in...
Report: Musk Told Banks He
Would Cut Jobs, Pay at Twitter
Apr 29, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Report: Musk Told Banks He Would Cut Jobs, Pay at Twitter
Sources say he also discussed plans to boost revenue
- Elon Musk has said he wants to buy Twitter to preserve free speech—but in talks with banks to secure funding for the deal, he made it clear that he plans to make it a profitable crusade. Sources tell Bloomberg that Musk told bankers he would focus on the company'...
Musk Loses Bid to End
Restrictions on His Tweets
Apr 28, 2022 6:32 AM CDT
Musk Loses Bid to End Restrictions on His Tweets
Judge says Tesla CEO can't back out of 2018 agreement with regulators
- Elon Musk has vowed to make Twitter "an inclusive arena for free speech" if his deal to buy the company goes through—but his own tweets will remain restricted. A federal judge in New York has rejected Musk's bid to end an agreement with the Securities and Exchange...
Tweets About Staff
Apr 27, 2022 4:16 PM CDT
Despite Agreement, Musk Answers Tweets About Staff
Billionaire seems to approve of comments about his future employees
- On Tuesday, Elon Musk agreed to all 95 pages of an agreement spelling out the terms of his purchase of Twitte r. By Wednesday, he appeared to be no longer in compliance. A couple of tweets from commentators critical of his future employees drew agreeing responses from the billionaire, the...
Sank Tuesday, and
the Questions Began
Apr 27, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Tesla Shares Sank Tuesday, and the Questions Began
The big one: If share value keeps dropping, how does that impact the Twitter deal?
- Tuesday wasn't a good day for the markets in general, but it was particularly unkind to Tesla, whose shares closed down 12.2%. That erased more than $125 billion from the electric vehicle maker's market value, and it has some analysts wondering whether that could turn into an...
Trending on Twitter:
Apr 26, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Trending on Twitter: #LeavingTwitter
Some people don't plan to stick around for Elon Musk's changes
- While conservatives and site co-founder Jack Dorsey, among others, are celebrating Elon Musk's deal to buy Twitter , a lot of users are talking about moving on to less Musky pastures. The hashtag #leavingtwitter was trending on the site Tuesday as users debated what changes Musk might make to Twitter...
Bezos Takes a
Jab at Musk's
Apr 26, 2022 6:38 AM CDT
Bezos Takes a Jab at Musk's Twitter Buy
Meanwhile, Twitter employees are worried, but conservatives are rejoicing
- Twitter employees had what CNN calls an "all-hands" meeting Monday in which they raised some fundamental questions about Elon Musk's purchase of the site . Are our jobs safe? How will the site change? Will Donald Trump be allowed back? To all those and more, current CEO Parag Agrawal...
Trump: No More
Twitter for Me
Apr 25, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Trump: No More Twitter for Me
Some aides doubt whether he could stay away if Musk dropped the ban
- Elon Musk hasn't said whether he'll let former President Donald Trump back on Twitter once he takes control of the platform. But Trump beat him to the punch on Monday, the Hill reports, by saying he'll stick to his own social media site, Truth Social, regardless. "...
$44B Elon Musk Buyout
Apr 25, 2022 2:37 PM CDT
Twitter Confirms $44B Elon Musk Buyout
Billionaire says he plans to make Twitter 'better than ever'
- After a day of speculation and fast-moving developments , Twitter has accepted Elon Musk's offer. The company has entered a "definitive agreement to be acquired by an entity wholly owned by Elon Musk, for $54.20 per share in cash in a transaction valued at approximately $44 billion,"...
Jumps as Deal
With Elon Musk
Apr 25, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
Twitter's Stock Jumps as Deal With Elon Musk Draws Near
Multiple outlets say it could be announced on Monday
- The story line around Elon Musk and Twitter continues to change quickly. News emerged overnight Sunday that talks between Musk and the social media company had gotten serious, after his initial proposal appeared to be rebuffed . Now the consensus in business coverage is that a deal is so close it...
There's Been a
Big Shift in the
Apr 25, 2022 12:02 AM CDT
There's Been a Big Shift in the Elon Musk- Twitter Talks
Now the social media company is said to be seriously considering his bid
- Sources say Twitter's board is seriously considering Elon Musk's bid to purchase the social media company. Sources spoke to both the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
, and said the "turning point" came when Musk revealed he had $46.5 billion in financing to cover...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.