Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ends in Tears
Aug 17, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Press Conference Ends in Tears
Agent slams 'bully' reporter who asked question on media relations
- Naomi Osaka faced one of her first press conferences since withdrawing from the French Open and Wimbledon on Monday and ended up walking away in tears. Ahead of a tournament in Cincinnati,
reporter Paul Daugherty virtually asked Osaka about her relationship with the media. "You're not...
The Biden Presser Was Awful,
and It's the Reporters' Fault
Mar 26, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
The Biden Presser Was Awful, and It's the Reporters' Fault
Critics pile on White House press corps for repetitive and superficial questions
- President Biden's first press conference on Thursday is getting bad reviews, though the blame is falling on the press corps rather than the president. Examples:
, Susan B. Glasser writes that reporters generally asked the same questions over and over about the border and the filibuster,
Reporters Move Past COVID-19
Mar 25, 2021 4:54 PM CDT
Reporters Move Past COVID-19
Biden isn't asked about pandemic, though chief of staff says it still tops agenda
- President Biden brought up the coronavirus pandemic as he began his news conference Thursday, saying he was doubling his vaccination goal for the first 100 days of his term. If he hadn't mentioned COVID-19, apparently no one would have; not one of the questions from reporters concerned the pandemic,...
Highlights From Biden's
First Press Conference
Mar 25, 2021 3:51 PM CDT
Highlights From Biden's First Press Conference
'This makes Jim Crow look like Jim Eagle,' he says of rules to change voting laws
- President Biden conducted his first press conference since assuming office, one in which he doubled the nation's vaccination goal and said he expected to run for re-election in 2024. But Biden faced questions on a host of other issues, including immigration and the filibuster. Highlights:
He disputed the
At First Press Conference,
Biden Doubles Vaccination Goal
Mar 25, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
At First Press Conference, Biden Doubles Vaccination Goal
President wants 200M shots in first 100 days
- President Biden opened his first formal news conference Thursday with a nod toward the improving picture on battling the coronavirus, doubling his original goal by pledging that the nation will administer 200 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines by the end of his first 100 days in office, per the AP...
Finally Hold a
Mar 17, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Biden Will Finally Hold a Press Conference
March 25, 64 days into his presidency
- President Biden has come under scrutiny for failing to hold a press conference since being elected, but now a date has been set. His first presser will be held March 25, his 64th day as POTUS,
reports. That's the longest any president has waited going back at...
for Missing Hiker
in case you missed it
Sep 13, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Press Conference for Missing Hiker Gets Surprise Attendee
80-year-old Harry Harvey shows up at news conference about himself
- It's not quite as jarring as dead people showing up at their own funerals , but Harry Harvey's reappearance was a shock just the same. The BBC reports that Harvey, 80, went for a hike Saturday in the Yorkshire Dales in Yorkshire, England, but he got separated from his...
Networks Cut Away From
Trump Press Conference
Jul 14, 2020 8:15 PM CDT
Networks Cut Away From Trump Press Conference
Hong Kong remarks turned into campaign-style event
- President Trump signed a bill Tuesday targeting China over its harsh treatment of Hong Kong—but a press conference he called to discuss the measure quickly turned into something strongly resembling a campaign speech. The
New York Times
reports that after a few minutes of discussing the sanctions, Trump launched...
Not Worth the
'Time and Effort'
Apr 26, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Trump: Pressers Not Worth the 'Time and Effort'
President skips Saturday's press briefing after complaint, amid concerns he's overexposed
- Don't expect to see so much of President Trump at White House press conferences on the coronavirus, because the commander in chief sounds like he's sick of them amid reports that there might be a pullback on them anyway : "What is the purpose of having White House...
Report: Trump's Time at the
Virus Podium May Get Slashed
Apr 25, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Report: Trump's Time at the Virus Podium May Get Slashed
Axios reports that president is considering cutting frequency, duration of coronavirus press briefings
- A day after a virus press briefing in which President Trump set off a firestorm with his supposedly sarcastic disinfectant comments , buzz began that we soon may not see too many of these briefings. Axios reports that Trump is said to be mulling having the pressers decrease in both frequency...
Trump, CDC Seem to Have
Different Takes on Coronavirus
Feb 26, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Trump, CDC Seem to Have Different Takes on Coronavirus
President to hold presser Wednesday on disease CDC is warning about; Trump says media is overhyping
- On Tuesday, CDC officials warned of the likely inevitable spread of COVID-19 (aka coronavirus) in the US, and that "disruptions to everyday life may be severe." On Wednesday, President Trump took issue with the gravity of the situation, saying that the country is in "great shape"—...
Trump, Familiar Foe
Go At It in India
Feb 25, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Trump, Familiar Foe Go At It in India
President, CNN's Jim Acosta spar in front of the world during news conference
- Different continent, familiar result. President Trump's news conference in India on Tuesday featured a one-on-one spat with Jim Acosta of CNN, reports Mediaite . The two have sparred before , and Acosta even once temporarily lost his White House press pass. On Tuesday, Acosta asked Trump if he would pledge that...
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan?
He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Jan 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan? He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Ex-Nissan boss gives his first press conference since escaping the country
- In his first press conference given since his clandestine exit from Japan, Carlos Ghosn cleared one thing up on Wednesday: No, there's no Netflix show in the works about his dramatic exit. But Ghosn certainly brought the drama in the lengthy press conference given in Beirut, likening his November...
CNN Reporter's Pass Revoked
After Clash With Trump
Nov 8, 2018 5:00 AM CST
CNN Reporter's Pass Revoked After Clash With Trump
Jim Acosta's colleagues call move 'disturbing'
- Hours after he clashed with President Trump during a testy press conference , CNN reporter Jim Acosta returned to the White House—and was denied entry by the Secret Service. Press secretary Sarah Sanders later confirmed that Acosta's press pass had been revoked and claimed that he had "placed...
Czech President Burns Undies,
Calls Reporters 'Little Idiots'
Jun 15, 2018 12:52 PM CDT
Czech President Burns Undies, Calls Reporters 'Little Idiots'
'The time of underwear in politics is over,' Milos Zeman proclaimed
- A fiery stunt by the Czech president has really stunned journalists this time. Milos Zeman announced a press conference for Thursday, but instead of briefing reporters, he had two firefighters in protective gear help him burn a huge pair of red underpants in front of them, the AP reports. Per...
Trump Has Abandoned
the Press Conference
Apr 30, 2018 7:40 AM CDT
Trump Has Abandoned the Press Conference
President has held just 1 while in office, often speaks with the press in less formal settings
- The presidential news conference, a time-honored tradition going back generations, appears to be no longer. More than a year has passed since President Trump held the only solo news conference of his administration. Instead, the president engages the press in more informal settings: Trump often answers shouted questions at so-called...
PM Has Fondled Ears, Flung
Fruit. Now, His Latest Stunt
Jan 9, 2018 7:52 AM CST
PM Has Fondled Ears, Flung Fruit. Now, His Latest Stunt
Prayuth Chan-ocha said, 'Ask this guy,' then left cardboard cutout of himself to face reporters
- Thailand's prime minister evaded journalists' questions on Monday by bringing out a life-size cardboard cutout of himself and telling the reporters to quiz it instead of him. Prayuth Chan-ocha then turned on his heel and walked off, reports the AP , leaving the mock-up behind to bemused looks and awkward...
Dec 14, 2017 9:35 AM CST
Putin Lauds Trump's 'Significant Achievements' at Presser
Russian president also calls claims of his country's interference in US election 'nonsense'
- He may not have said the term "fake news," or the Russian equivalent of it, but Vladimir Putin made it clear in his annual year-end press conference that he's labeling assertions of Russian meddling in the US election "nonsense," per ABC News . Putin railed against...
Goes Speechless When
Asked About Fatal Crash
Jul 3, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
Venus Williams Goes Speechless When Asked About Fatal Crash
Reporter brought it up during Wimbledon press conference
- Venus Williams broke down during a press conference Monday when she was asked about the fatal car crash she was involved in last month. ESPN has video of Williams' response during the press conference that followed her winning her opening match at Wimbledon. "There are really no words to...
Reaction to Trump: Like '2
Different Press Conferences'
Feb 17, 2017 5:13 AM CST
Reaction to Trump: Like '2 Different Press Conferences'
Some see 'unhinged,' others 'relaxed and funny'
- President Trump ripped into the "dishonest" and "out of control" media during his press conference Thursday —and it didn't take long for the media to fire back. Fox News anchor Shepard Smith was among those who criticized the president, saying he "keeps repeating ridiculous throwaway...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.