Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sinn Fein Records
Historic Election Victory
May 7, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Sinn Fein Records Historic Election Victory
Party seeking Irish unification proclaims a new era
- The Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein, which seeks unification with Ireland, hailed a "new era" Saturday for Northern Ireland as it captured the largest number of seats in the Northern Ireland Assembly for the first time in a historic win. With almost all votes counted from Thursday's local...
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary,
Families Again Call for Justice
Jan 30, 2022 3:05 PM CST
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary, Families Again Call for Justice
British paratroopers opened fire on demonstrators in Derry, giving rise to decades of violence
- Hundreds of people on Sunday walked the route of marchers who were killed by British paratroopers a half-century ago in Northern Ireland during a civil rights demonstration. Family members of those shot to death in Derry on what's now known as Bloody Sunday were among those at the remembrance,...
Nov 8, 2021 6:29 AM CST
Van Morrison Is Getting Sued Over COVID Remarks
Northern Ireland's health minister accuses him of slander
- Van Morrison hates lockdown rules so much he's written songs about it . Now, it looks like he'll have to go to court to defend some of his statements. Northern Ireland's health minister is suing the singer for defamation, reports Belfast's
. Robin Swann took legal...
Unrest in Northern Ireland
Apr 8, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Unrest in Northern Ireland Is Escalating
55 police officers hurt over the last week
- Crowds from Protestant and Catholic communities hurled bricks, fireworks, and gas bombs at police and each other overnight in Belfast, as a week of street violence escalated. Police and politicians tried Thursday to calm the volatile situation in Northern Ireland, where Britain's exit from the European Union has unsettled...
Apr 4, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
Unrest Flares in Northern Ireland
Police say petrol bombs were thrown at officers
- Police in Northern Ireland have appealed for calm after officers were attacked with petrol bombs and cars were set on fire during a second night of unrest. Three cars were hijacked and set on fire Saturday night in Newtownabbey, an area on the outskirts of Belfast, police said. North Area...
Boris Johnson Revives
'Bonkers' Bridge Idea
Feb 11, 2020 4:28 AM CST
Boris Johnson Revives 'Bonkers' Bridge Idea
British government considering $25B bridge between Scotland, N. Ireland
- With Scotland talking about independence post-Brexit and Sinn Fein calling for a vote on reunifying Ireland after its election success , Boris Johnson is talking about building bridges. The British prime minister has revived what critics call a "bonkers" idea to build a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland, the...
Jan 2, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Belfast University's Next Chancellor: Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton will be the first woman with the title
- Hillary Clinton has accepted a five-year posting as chancellor of Queen's University in Belfast. The job involves advising management and presiding over graduation, the BBC reports. Mostly, though, the former secretary of state will act as an ambassador for the Northern Ireland school. Clinton will be the first woman...
From Boris: a Final Brexit Offer,
a Line on Kangaroo Testicles
Oct 2, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
From Boris: a Final Brexit Offer, a Line on Kangaroo Testicles
PM gives conference speech to Conservative Party members
- The UK will offer the EU a proposed Brexit deal on Wednesday that represents a compromise for both sides, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a speech to Conservative Party members at their annual conference that had been billed by his office as a take-it-or-leave-it "final offer" to...
Jun 6, 2019 4:15 PM CDT
Arrest Made in Slaying of Journalist
Lyra McKee was shot during rioting in Northern Ireland
- Police in Northern Ireland have arrested a 46-year-old man in the shooting death of freelance journalist Lyra McKee in April. The suspect was arrested under the Terrorism Act, CNN reports. Police first conducted two searches in Derry—also called Londonderry. McKee, 29, was near a police vehicle watching rioting in...
57-Year-Old Woman Charged in
Shooting Death of Journalist
Apr 23, 2019 8:01 AM CDT
57-Year-Old Woman Charged in Shooting Death of Journalist
New IRA takes blame for murder of Lyra McKee in Northern Ireland
- A 57-year-old woman has been arrested in the shooting death last week in Northern Ireland of journalist Lyra McKee . Although initially two teens were detained in connection with the killing of the 29-year-old, who died Thursday night during rioting in Londonderry (aka Derry), they were later released without being charged,...
2 Teens Arrested in
Killing of Journalist
Apr 20, 2019 7:01 AM CDT
2 Teens Arrested in Killing of Journalist
Lyra McKee was shot during rioting in Northern Ireland
- Two teenagers in Northern Ireland are under arrest in connection with the killing of rising young journalist Lyra McKee, reports the BBC . The unidentified suspects in the 29-year-old's death are 18 and 19. A gunman fatally shot McKee during rioting in the city of Londonderry Thursday night in what...
She Died Hours Later
Apr 19, 2019 6:23 AM CDT
Journo Tweeted 'Absolute Madness.' She Died Hours Later
Lyra McKee died after she was shot during rioting in Northern Ireland
- The dissident republican group the New IRA was most likely responsible for the fatal shooting of a journalist during overnight rioting in the city of Londonderry, police in Northern Ireland said Friday. The Police Service of Northern Ireland said 29-year-old journalist and author Lyra McKee died after she was shot...
Soldier Faces Murder Charges
47 Years After Bloody Sunday
Mar 14, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Soldier Faces Murder Charges 47 Years After Bloody Sunday
18 other suspects are off the hook
- The first charges have been laid 47 years after Northern Ireland's Bloody Sunday, when 13 demonstrators were shot and killed by British troops. A former paratrooper is charged with the murders of two men, James Wray and William McKinney, and the attempted murders of four others: Patrick O'Donnell,...
on Brexit. It's
Jan 29, 2019 12:34 PM CST
May Needs EU Reversal on Brexit. It's Not Budging
British PM to discuss tweaking backstop with EU leaders
- British Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday sought to salvage a Brexit deal but headed toward a clash with the European Union by promising to overhaul the divorce deal she spent a year and a half negotiating with the bloc. Trying to break the Brexit deadlock, May urged lawmakers to...
Honeymoon in Northern Ireland
Ends With American's Arrest
Aug 15, 2018 7:01 PM CDT
Honeymoon in Northern Ireland Ends With American's Arrest
South Carolina man faces attempted murder charges
- A South Carolina man honeymooning in Northern Ireland has been charged with three counts of attempted murder following a fight outside of a bar in the village of Ballycarry, DublinLive reports. Nicholas Keith Warner, 31, an electrical engineer who lives in Summerville, allegedly used a knife to stab three men...
Irish Border Problem
Holds Up Brexit Talks
Dec 5, 2017 1:22 AM CST
Irish Border Problem Holds Up Brexit Talks
Deal slips away after talks in Brussels
- The European Union and Britain ended a flurry of top-level diplomacy on Monday without a deal on the terms of their divorce, as agreement on how to maintain an open Irish border after Brexit slipped out of the negotiators' grasp, the AP reports. British Prime Minister Theresa May went to...
UK: There Must Be No Border
Posts With Ireland After Brexit
Aug 16, 2017 7:54 PM CDT
UK: There Must Be No Border Posts With Ireland After Brexit
UK commits to free movement for British, Irish, and EU citizens
- The British government has said repeatedly that it will end the free movement of people from the European Union when the UK leaves the bloc in 2019. On Wednesday it acknowledged that, in practice, it won't. Britain said there must be no border posts or electronic checks between Northern...
Odd New Brexit Glitch:
The Border With Ireland
Jul 28, 2017 10:43 AM CDT
Odd New Brexit Glitch: The Border With Ireland
Ireland wants the Irish Sea to be the new boundary, but Britain won't have it
- Britain and the rest of the United Kingdom are supposed to exit the European Union in 2019, but the current round of Brexit talks is getting hung up on a geographic snag: how to create a border between Ireland and the UK. The
of London reports that Ireland wants...
Abortions 95% Effective
May 16, 2017 7:30 PM CDT
Study: Mail-Order Abortions 95% Effective
Study says that's as safe as in a clinic
- Medical abortions done at home with online help and pills sent in the mail appear to be just as safe as those done at a clinic, according to a new study. The research tracked the outcomes of 1,000 women in Ireland and Northern Ireland, who used a website run...
Coca-Cola Plant Shut Down
for Super Gross Reason
Mar 29, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Coca-Cola Plant Shut Down for Super Gross Reason
Cans containing suspected human waste jammed machines
- Police are investigating after suspected human waste was found inside cans at a Coca-Cola plant in Ireland, the
reports. Topless cans arrive at the factory to be filled by Coca-Cola products and sealed before they're sold around Northern Ireland. The cans in question—believed to have come...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.