Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Tried to Hike From Rim
to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Sep 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
He Tried to Hike From Rim to Rim, Died Halfway Through
Ranjith Varma of Virginia becomes 9th person to die inside Grand Canyon this year
- Another hiker has died amid triple-digit temperatures in Grand Canyon National Park. Ranjith Varma, a 55-year-old man from Manassas, Virginia, died Saturday while attempting a 21-mile trek from the south rim of the canyon to the north rim, a grueling journey that can take up to 15 hours, CBS News...
2 Women Die on Hike
in Valley of Fire State Park
Jul 24, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
2 Women Die on Hike in Valley of Fire State Park
Temperatures in the area hit 114 degrees on the day they went out
- Amid temperatures that rose as high as 114 degrees Saturday, two women went hiking in Nevada's Valley of Fire state park and never returned. After other hikers who had seen the women enter the park became concerned at not seeing them come back, Nevada State Police officers launched a...
Father of 5 Has Fatal Fall
on Popular Hike
Jul 3, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
Father of 5 Has Fatal Fall on Popular Hike
Oregon man, 40, slips off Multnomah Falls trail while hiking with family
- One of the most popular hiking destinations in the Pacific Northwest proved fatal over the weekend for a 40-year-old father of five in Oregon. The unidentified man slipped at a switchback on the Multnomah Falls trail, reports Oregon Live . "He slid down a steep hill and then fell off...
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies
Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
May 25, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
Indiana woman was found without a pulse along Bright Angel Trail
- A Grand Canyon hiker was found without a pulse after trying to make it the Colorado River and back in a day. Officials received a report of an "unresponsive hiker" on the Bright Angel Trail, one of the most popular trails through the canyon, at 9pm on May 14,...
Trail Hiker Didn't See Her Killer
Coming. Now, an Arrest
May 5, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Trail Hiker Didn't See Her Killer Coming. Now, an Arrest
Suspect nabbed less than a week after Lauren Heike was fatally attacked in Phoenix
- An arrest has been made in the murder of an Arizona hiker who police say was attacked from behind on a neighborhood trail in Phoenix. The suspect in his early 20s was taken into custody around 6:30pm Thursday at his home, which AZ Central reports is "less than...
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He
Went for Help, Never Returned
Sep 9, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He Went for Help, Never Returned
Body of Tim Sgrignoli, 29, found 4 days after hike with girlfriend in sweltering California mountains
- The alerts from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department began late Sunday, noting the rescue of a female hiker suffering from mild heat exhaustion in the mountains over Gaviota, California, per NBC News . The initial post in that series of tweets from Scott Safechuck reported that the "search continues...
Young Hiker Dies Amid
Staggering Arizona Heat
Sep 6, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Young Hiker Dies Amid Staggering Arizona Heat
Other hikers needed to be rescued from the Spur Cross Trailhead Mountain on Monday
- The typical temperature at Phoenix's international airport on Sept. 5 is 103. The actual temp there yesterday hit 109, and that heat proved deadly on a trail some 30 miles to the north in Cave Creek. NBC News reports the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office fielded a call just...
Hiker Runs Out of Water,
Dies in Badlands National Park
Jul 24, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Hiker Runs Out of Water, Dies in Badlands National Park
Men celebrating graduation were on an unmarked trail linked to social media challenge
- A hiker on a trip to celebrate his college graduation died after running out of water and collapsing on an unmarked trail in Badlands National Park. Sheriff's officials said Maxwell Right, 22, of St. Louis died Wednesday of "suspected dehydration and exposure,"
reports. A 21-year-old Missouri...
'Will Die' Among
Hiker's Last Texts
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
'Will Die' Among Hiker's Last Texts
Rescue atop New Hampshire's Mount Washington couldn't save hypothermic Xi Chen
- "In trouble… can't move … will die." So read the last texts from a father of three who succumbed to severe hypothermia while hiking on New Hampshire's Mount Washington over Father's Day weekend. Xi Chen, 53, of Andover, Mass., was attempting the 23-mile Presidential Traverse,...
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge,
He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Jun 7, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge, He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Paul Classen of the Netherlands dies after falling 50 feet near Virginia's McAfee Knob
- A Dutch hiker attempting to conquer a portion of the Appalachian Trail has died after falling from a cliff in Virginia. Paul "Grandmaster" Classen, 23, who was known to carry a chess set with him, fell 50 feet from a cliff just north of the iconic 3,200-foot-tall McAfee...
Grand Canyon Adventure
Turns Tragic for Canadian
Jun 4, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Adventure Turns Tragic for Canadian
Ottawa's Melanie Goodine, 41, dies after trying to make it back up to rim after hike to Colorado River
- A Canadian hiker exploring the Grand Canyon didn't make it out alive this week. Officials tell CBS 5 that 41-year-old Melanie Goodine of Ottawa has died after trying to do a tough hike to the Colorado River and back. Per a National Park Service release , the Grand Canyon Regional...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
Woman Who Went Missing
While Hiking Found Dead
Sep 7, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Woman Who Went Missing While Hiking Found Dead
Jennifer Coleman may have been hiking alone at the time
- A Virginia woman who was reported missing Wednesday after she took a trip to Montana's Glacier National Park was found dead in a steep, rocky area of the park Sunday. Jennifer Coleman, 34, was believed to have been hiking alone in the Logan Pass area, the highest elevation in...
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body
Found Under Rocks
Aug 24, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body Found Under Rocks
Tatum Morell was apparently caught in rock slide near Montana's Whitetail Peak
- A 23-year-old hiker missing in Montana's Beartooth Mountains since early July is believed to have died in a sudden rock slide. The body of Tatum Morell, a Montana State University graduate student in engineering, was discovered Saturday in a gully below Whitetail Peak, one of five area peaks over...
Parents Went on
Hike With Baby, Dog.
They All Died on the Trail
Aug 19, 2021 11:07 AM CDT
Parents Went on Hike With Baby, Dog. They All Died on the Trail
Authorities in California haven't ruled out dangerous gases, toxic algae
- A friend of a family of three found dead on a California hiking trail on Tuesday says the whole situation is just "freaky." Jonathan Gerrish and Ellen Chung had set out for an apparent day hike in Mariposa County with their 1-year-old daughter and dog on Sunday. A...
Hiker Injured Trying to Stop
Man's 500-Foot Plunge
Jun 2, 2021 4:23 PM CDT
Hiker Injured Trying to Stop Man's 500-Foot Plunge
Both fell, but one survived by catching a ledge 30 feet below at Sequoia National Park
- A California hiker survived a 30-foot fall Monday after trying to stop a companion from plunging off a mountain ridge in Sequoia National Park. Rescue crews were able to pull the woman, 45, to safety from a ledge, but the man she was trying to save fell 500 feet to...
Missing Yosemite Hiker
Is Found Dead
Jan 25, 2021 8:07 AM CST
Missing Yosemite Hiker Is Found Dead
'Alice' Yu Xie, 41, found dead on Jan. 16 in Yosemite National Park after ill-fated hike
- A hiker who went missing at Yosemite National Park earlier this month has been found dead. National Park Service officials say the body of "Alice" Yu Xie, 41, was found Jan. 16 at the base of Upper Yosemite Fall, per KCRA . KTLA reports that Xie had traveled to the...
How This Guy 'Came
Back From the Dead'
Nov 15, 2020 6:21 AM CST
How This Guy 'Came Back From the Dead'
Hiker Michael Knapinski was dead for 45 minutes
- Michael Knapinski went out for a hike in the snow of Mount Ranier on Saturday, Nov. 7, but he had to come back from a little bit more than he bargained for to get home, reports the
The 45-year-old from Woodinville got lost in whiteout conditions on his...
He Posed for a Pic on the Cliff's
Edge. The Next Day He Died
Oct 17, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
He Posed for a Pic on the Cliff's Edge. The Next Day He Died
Barefoot hiker Jordan Brashears, 29, died in apparently accidental fall in Sedona, Ariz.
- The body of a 29-year-old Seattle hiker has been found in Sedona, Ariz., after an apparently accidental fall. The
reports that Jordan Brashears had recently become friends with two fellow hikers, and the three agreed to meet up on Oct. 8 to explore the archaeological ruins along the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.