Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mexico Apologizes Over Deaths of Youths Kidnapped by Cops
4 young men and a teenage girl were turned over to cartel and murdered
- They were coming home from a party in Veracruz, Mexico, when they had to stop at a police roadblock. Then two things sealed the fate of the four young men and teenage girl in the vehicle: First, police thought they belonged to a drug gang. (They didn't.) Second,...
Tip Leads Mexico Police to Remains of 166 People
Mass graves uncovered in Veracruz state
- Investigators said Thursday they have found 166 skulls in clandestine burial pits in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, one of the biggest mass graves discovered so far in Mexico. Veracruz state prosecutor Jorge Winckler said that for security reasons he would not reveal the location of the site. Mexican...
Fugitive Mexican Gov Busted in Tourist Town
Javier Duarte abruptly quit amid corruption allegations, fled to Guatemala
- The former governor of Mexico's Veracruz state who is accused of running a corruption ring that allegedly pilfered millions of dollars from state coffers was detained in Guatemala after six months as a fugitive and high-profile symbol of government graft in his country. Javier Duarte, pale and visibly tired,...
After Moms Raise Funds for Excavation, a Horrific Find in Mexico
Hundreds of skulls found in Veracruz mass grave
- A horrific find in Mexico: Authorities say they've found more than 250 skulls in a clandestine burial ground on the outskirts of the city of Veracruz—and they have yet to excavate two-thirds of the area. State attorney general Jorge Winckler Ortiz said the bodies are drug cartel victims...
Mexican Priest Alive, but With 'Notable Signs of Torture'
Rev. Jose Luis Sanchez Ruiz had been abducted 3 days earlier
- Since September, four Roman Catholic priests in Mexico have been abducted—and only one has come back alive. That priest, the Rev. Jose Luis Sanchez Ruiz, was found "dumped, with notable signs of torture" three days after he disappeared from the state of Veracruz, a bishop tells the AP...
'Life-Threatening' Hurricane Ingrid to Drench Mexico
2nd hurricane of the season expected to cause torrential rain and flooding
- Tropical Storm Ingrid has a new name: Hurricane Ingrid. Its status was upgraded today, making it the second hurricane of the Atlantic season. Ingrid is currently off Mexico's Gulf Coast, packing winds of up to 75mph, reports the AP . Along with tropical storm Manuel—which is expected to reach...
Photojournalists Murdered in Mexico
Dismembered bodies found on World Press Freedom Day
- Somebody in Mexico's Veracruz state has declared war on news photographers. The dismembered bodies of three photojournalists from different news organizations were found in plastic bags in a canal yesterday—World Press Freedom Day—along with the body of one photographer's girlfriend, AP reports. All the bodies bore...
Mexico Disbands Corrupt Veracruz Police Force
Navy takes over law enforcement after corrupt cops sent packing
- Mexican authorities have stamped out corruption in the Veracruz police force by stamping out the Veracruz police force. The port city's police department has been disbanded, and all 800 officers and 300 administrative staff have been fired, the BBC reports. The Mexican navy is taking responsibility for law enforcement...
35 Bodies Dumped on Mexican Road
Drug war heating up in Veracruz
- The bodies of 35 people believed to have links to drug cartels were found under a highway bridge in Veracruz during rush hour yesterday. Two trucks containing the corpses were left to block traffic, with their doors left open allowing bodies to spill out, CNN reports. The bodies, both men...
Popular on Newser
UPS: We Found Tucker Carlson's Missing Shipment
In Pennsylvania, a Stall Tactic Could Lift Trump to Victory
Site Co-Founder Quits, Saying Biden Article Was Censored
AOC 'Cautious About Words' When Answering One Question
One of the Final Places Without COVID Reports First Cases
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.