Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Feb 28, 2022 2:45 PM CST
In Surprise, Jeter Quits as Baseball CEO
He was MLB's only Black CEO
- Derek Jeter surprised the baseball world Monday by resigning as CEO of the Miami Marlins. The Hall of Fame player also gave up his 4% stake as a shareholder in the team, reports the
. The reasons aren't crystal clear, but in a statement Jeter said the "...
She Just Made
Nov 13, 2020 2:11 PM CST
She Just Made Baseball History
Kim Ng of the Miami Marlins is the league's first female general manager
- After working in Major League Baseball for more than 30 years—what she called "decades of determination"—Kim Ng has reached the general manager's office. The Miami Marlins announced Friday that Ng is their new general manager, the first woman and first East Asian American to hold...
Series Called Off
Aug 3, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
More Positive Tests, Another Series Called Off
As Cardinals quarantine, Jeter says Marlins 'let their guard down'
- Seven St. Louis Cardinals players and six staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, causing Major League Baseball to postpone the team's four-game series at Detroit. The series was to have been played Tuesday through Thursday. "We know this is very real, and we know it moves quickly...
Didn't Add Up
Jul 30, 2020 7:25 PM CDT
For Fauci, First Pitch Didn't Add Up
Home plate looked 200 feet away, former shortstop says
- Dr. Anthony Fauci apparently miscalculated. After not throwing a baseball for decades, he practiced for two days for the first pitch at the Washington Nationals game last week, Yahoo Sports reports. Fauci thought he'd marked the throw off at 60 feet, he told the ESPN Daily podcast, but realizes...
Marlins Season Suspended
After COVID Outbreak
Jul 28, 2020 4:12 PM CDT
Marlins Season Suspended After COVID Outbreak
Games are off until at least Sunday
- The Miami Marlins' season has been suspended after just three games. Major League Baseball said Tuesday that the team's next six games have been postponed while the Marlins deal with a coronavirus outbreak , reports ESPN reports. Sources tell the
that another four Marlins players have now tested...
Baseball Outbreak Is
Jul 28, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Baseball Outbreak Is 'Off-the-Charts Bad'
Expert says he'd urge shutting Marlins down for two weeks
- A consensus has emerged since the coronavirus outbreak on the Miami Marlins that caused four MLB teams to sit out Monday. "This is bad, really bad, and it will get worse," Tim Brown writes on Yahoo Sports . "My level of concern went from an 8 to a...
Baseball's Push to Reopen
Hits First Major Problem
Jul 27, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Baseball's Push to Reopen Hits First Major Problem
13 members of the Marlins test positive, and 2 games are postponed
- The game is called not on account of something trivial like rain, but because of COVID. ESPN reporter Jeff Passan tweets that 13 players or coaches for the Miami Marlins have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent days, forcing the cancellation of the team's home opener Monday night...
Jeb Bush Drops
Bid to Buy
May 30, 2017 5:10 PM CDT
Jeb Bush Drops Bid to Buy Miami Marlins: Report
Derek Jeter has joined a different potential ownership group
- Jeb Bush has dropped out of the race for the Miami Marlins, the AP reports. The ex-presidential candidate and former Florida governor is no longer interested in buying the Marlins and has ended his pursuit of the team, two people close to the negotiations said Tuesday. One of the people...
Jeb Bush, Derek Jeter Buying
Baseball Team: Report
Apr 25, 2017 5:35 PM CDT
Jeb Bush, Derek Jeter Buying Baseball Team: Report
Their group has reportedly won auction for Miami Marlins with $1.3B bid
- If multiple reports are to be believed, Jeb Bush will finally be following in his brother's footsteps—as the owner of a professional baseball team. The presidential also-ran is said to be part of a group—along with former New York Yankee Derek Jeter—that will be purchasing the...
in His System
Oct 29, 2016 4:52 PM CDT
Autopsy: Marlins Pitcher Had Cocaine, Alcohol in His System
Jose Fernandez died in a boat crash last month in Florida
- Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez had cocaine and alcohol in his system when his boat crashed into a Miami Beach jetty, according to toxicology reports released Saturday. The AP reports it's not clear whether Fernandez was driving when the boat crashed Sept. 25, killing the 24-year-old baseball star and...
Friend: I Begged
Them Not to Go
Sep 27, 2016 11:05 AM CDT
Friend: I Begged Them Not to Go on Fernandez's Boat
Friend of one victim says pitcher was upset after fight with girlfriend
- Although Jose Fernandez was often seen heading out with friends to enjoy a day on the water, the night of his death doesn't sound particularly carefree, per
. Shortly before he headed out on a boat early Sunday with friends Eduardo Rivero and Emilio Macias, who also died...
Jose Fernandez Was
About to Become a Dad
Sep 26, 2016 2:51 AM CDT
Jose Fernandez Was About to Become a Dad
Miami is in mourning for star pitcher
- Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez is gone far too soon, and his death is made even more tragic by the fact that the 24-year-old was looking forward to becoming a father. In an Instagram post the week before his death in a boating accident Sunday, Fernandez shared a picture of...
Impact of Crash Killed Marlins
Pitcher, Not Drowning: Official
Sep 25, 2016 4:39 PM CDT
Impact of Crash Killed Marlins Pitcher, Not Drowning: Official
Tributes to Jose Fernandez keep pouring in
- As mourning continues for the tragic death of Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, investigators are starting to unravel the circumstances behind his passing early Sunday morning. Lorenzo Veloz, a spokesman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, tells USA Today Sports that the 32-foot boat Fernandez was on appeared...
in Boat Crash
Sep 25, 2016 8:38 AM CDT
Marlins' Star Pitcher Killed in Boat Crash
Jose Fernandez was wrapping up a stellar season; team reeling
- Miami Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez was among three people killed early Sunday, reports the
Miami Herald ,
just hours before what was likely to have been his final start of a stellar season. Officials responding to reports of the crash of the 30-foot vessel off Miami Beach "found a...
to Pass 3K Hits
Aug 8, 2016 12:19 AM CDT
Ichiro Suzuki Becomes 30th to Pass 3K Hits
Only Paul Molitor also did it on a triple
- Ichiro Suzuki defined his career with speed and sharp hits. It was only fitting he flashed both in his historic moment. Suzuki lined a triple off the wall for his 3,000th career hit in the major leagues, becoming the 30th player to reach the milestone as the Miami Marlins...
for 5 Games
Apr 10, 2012 9:47 AM CDT
Castro 'Love' Gets Guillen Suspended for 5 Games
Marlins manager's apology over Fidel comment wasn't enough
- An apology apparently didn't cut it. Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is out for five games after telling
last week that he "loves" Fidel Castro, praising the fact that after six decades of weathering enemies, "that motherf----r is still here," reports ESPN . Both the Marlins...
Marlins Manager's 'Love'
for Castro Prompts Boycott
Apr 9, 2012 12:58 PM CDT
Marlins Manager's 'Love' for Castro Prompts Boycott
Ozzie Guillen must quit: Cuban-American group
- A Cuban-American group is fuming after the Miami Marlins' manager spoke ever so highly about Cuba's former president. "I love Fidel Castro," Ozzie Guillen told
. "I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last...
ALSO, CJ WILSON
Dec 8, 2011 11:21 AM CST
Angels Land Albert Pujols for $250M
Deal is for 10 years, $250 million
- The Los Angeles Angels made two huge splashes today, snatching up two of the biggest free agents on the market: Albert Pujols and CJ Wilson. Pujols has agreed to a 10-year deal worth between $250 and $260 million, a source tells Yahoo! Sports . Depending on the exact number, it may...
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.