Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
United Arab Emirates
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rare Drone Attack
Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Jan 17, 2022 4:33 PM CST
Rare Drone Attack Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Yemeni Houthi rebels claim responsibility
- A rare attack in the United Arab Emirates killed at least three people Monday and the commander of American forces at a nearby base says they are ready to assist UAE authorities if needed. Authorities say that in a drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels, three tanker trucks...
Divorce Settlement Is Largest
UK Courts Have Ever Seen
Dec 21, 2021 7:11 AM CST
Divorce Settlement Is Largest UK Courts Have Ever Seen
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai, must pay Princess Haya, kids $737M
- The ruler of Dubai has just been told to pony up some big bucks to his ex, in what Bloomberg reports is "the largest financial award the UK family courts have ever seen." In total, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who's also the prime minister of...
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Mideast Nation Shifts
Its Workweek by a Day
Dec 7, 2021 8:21 AM CST
Mideast Nation Shifts Its Workweek by a Day
United Arab Emirates moves to a Monday-Friday schedule, aligned with the West
- The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday its official workweek will move to Monday to Friday, a significant change that brings the Islamic nation home to major financial institutions in line with Western schedules, per the AP . The decision, which is to take effect next month, makes the Gulf Arab federation...
of Interpol Has
Nov 25, 2021 6:43 AM CST
New Head of Interpol Has Been Accused of Torture
Ahmed Nasser al-Raisi of the United Arab Emirates will serve a 4-year term
- "The #INTERPOLGA has elected Ahmed Nasser al-Raisi of the United Arab Emirates as the Organization’s new President." The Thursday tweet would be a typical update for Interpol, whose elected presidents serve a four-year term, except for the fact that al-Raisi has been accused of torture in five...
Oct 29, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
World's Tallest Tower, Meet World's Tallest Ferris Wheel
You can see the Burj Khalifa from UAE's new 820-foot-tall Ain Dubai, or 'Dubai Eye'
- If you're in Dubai anytime soon, have at least 40 minutes to spare, and don't have a terrible fear of heights, there's at least one attraction there that might pique your interest. The Ain Dubai ("Dubai Eye"), the world's tallest Ferris wheel, is now...
by Dubai's Ruler
Oct 7, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Princess Haya's Phone Hacked by Dubai's Ruler
So finds the UK's high court
- Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, had the phones of his ex-wife, Princess Haya bint al-Hussein, and her lawyers hacked, the UK's high court ruled Wednesday. Haya, the daughter of Jordan's late King Hussein, fled Dubai for Britain in 2019 with the sheikh's two children,...
Jul 23, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Dubai Tires of Waiting for Rainfall
Project brings downpours in UAE by hitting clouds with electrical charges
- The recent downpours in the United Arab Emirates seemed a little unreal; the country only receives about 4 inches of rain per year. It turns out they weren't quite natural: Scientists have hit clouds with electronic charges to force rainfall during a heat wave that's often pushed temperatures...
Chair of Trump's Inauguration
Jul 20, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Chair of Trump's Inauguration Committee Arrested
Tom Barrack accused of acting as agent for UAE
- Tom Barrack, the longtime friend of Donald Trump who advised the former president's 2016 campaign and led his inaugural committee, was a better friend to the United Arab Emirates, prosecutors say. The 74-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with secretly acting as an agent for the UAE, Politico reports....
Huge Blast Shakes Dubai
Jul 7, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Huge Blast Shakes Dubai
Officials say it was caused by fire on container ship
- A massive blast on a container ship in Dubai Wednesday night was felt across the city and sent a huge fireball into the sky. CNN personnel in the emirate say the explosion was felt more than 10 miles from the Jebel Ali Port , which is the biggest in the region...
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From
ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Critics of Mosul landmark getting rebuilt after ISIS destruction say plan ignores Iraq's heritage
- A UNESCO competition to rebuild devastated landmarks in one of the world's oldest cities isn't going over well. The UN agency launched its "Revive the Spirit of Mosul" project after the Islamic State occupied the Iraqi city from 2014 to 2017, wreaking havoc on its heritage sites,...
UN Says Proof Princess Is
Alive Is 'Urgently Required'
Apr 20, 2021 6:11 PM CDT
UN Says Proof Princess Is Alive Is 'Urgently Required'
Human rights experts call for 'immediate release' of Dubai's Princess Latifa
- United Nations human rights experts say they have repeatedly asked Dubai for proof that Princess Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum, the ruler's daughter, is alive—and they have received only a statement that she is being "cared for at home." In a statement issued Tuesday, the UN...
UN Wants 'Proof of Life'
for Missing Princess
Apr 12, 2021 1:29 AM CDT
UN Wants 'Proof of Life' for Missing Princess
Concern grows for Princess Latifa
- The UN said Friday it is concerned that it has not received proof of life for Princess Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum, the missing daughter of the ruler of Dubai who has not been heard from in six months, friends tell the
. Secret recordings she made were released in...
Update on Missing Dubai
Princesses Has Cops Involved
Feb 25, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Update on Missing Dubai Princesses Has Cops Involved
Before she went silent, 'hostage' Princess Latifa urged help for her sister, Princess Shamsa
- Princess Shamsa, a daughter of Dubai's ruler, was 18 when she fled from her father's estate in Surrey, England, in 2000. She was nabbed on a street in Cambridge two months later and hasn't been seen in public since, though Cambridgeshire police are now looking into the...
Cops: Man Stole
Baby Camel as a
Gift for Girlfriend
Feb 17, 2021 7:22 PM CST
Cops: Man Stole Baby Camel as a Gift for Girlfriend
He was arrested in the UAE
- Police in the United Arab Emirates have arrested a man for allegedly stealing a highly valuable newborn camel to give to his girlfriend for her birthday, the United Arab Emirates’ state-linked newspaper reported Wednesday, per the AP . The owners of the baby camel reported the theft from their farm earlier...
UN Will Look Into Case
of 'Hostage' Princess
Feb 17, 2021 12:51 PM CST
UN Will Look Into Case of 'Hostage' Princess
Latifa, daughter of Dubai's ruler, says she has been a captive for years
- The United Nations has said it will question the United Arab Emirates over Princess Latifa following the release of secretly recorded videos in which the daughter of Dubai's ruler says she has been a "hostage" in a heavily guarded villa for three years. "We will certainly raise...
Secret Videos From
'Hostage' Princess Emerge
Feb 16, 2021 3:21 PM CST
Secret Videos From 'Hostage' Princess Emerge
'I’m not free,' Dubai's Princess Latifa says
- Three years after she was seized by commandos in international waters while trying to flee Dubai by boat, one of the daughters of the emirate's ruler says she is being held captive in a villa surrounded by police. "I'm a hostage. I’m not free. I am...
World's Mars Club
Grows by 2 This Week
Feb 8, 2021 1:00 PM CST
World's Mars Club Grows by 2 This Week
UAE probe on track to arrive Tuesday, and China's the following day
- February is a big month in terms of Mars exploration, and it gets started Tuesday with a crucial moment in what AFP calls the first Arab space mission. A probe launched by the United Arab Emirates from Japan in July is on track to reach the planet's orbit at...
Trump Gets a
2nd Nobel Peace
Sep 9, 2020 7:33 AM CDT
Trump Gets a 2nd Nobel Peace Prize Nod
President nominated for Nobel by Norwegian Parliament member Christian Tybring-Gjedde
- President Trump has a big fan in Norway, and now the possibility of a Nobel Peace Prize, thanks to his somewhat-newfound friend. Fox News reports that Norwegian Parliament member Christian Tybring-Gjedde has nominated Trump for the honor based on his role in establishing relations between Israel and the United Arab...
One Mideast Flight,
2 Historic Firsts
Aug 31, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
One Mideast Flight, 2 Historic Firsts
First Israel-UAE flight lands with Kushner aboard; Saudi blessing cut time in half
- An Israeli El Al plane flew from Israel to the United Arab Emirates on Monday, carrying a high-ranking American and Israeli delegation to Abu Dhabi in the first-ever direct commercial passenger flight between the two countries. The flight marked the implementation of the historic US-brokered deal to normalize relations between...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.