Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big Question for Young
Immigrants: Now What?
Jun 19, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Big Question for Young Immigrants: Now What?
They won a reprieve at Supreme Court, but Trump signals he'll go after DACA again
- The Supreme Court gave young, undocumented immigrants in the US reason to celebrate Thursday when it blocked President Trump's attempt to end protections for them. But one key point quickly emerged in coverage: The court decision was a narrow, procedural one, meaning this is more of a reprieve than...
Supreme Court Hands
Trump a Big Loss
Jun 18, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Big Loss
Justices reject attempt to end protections for young immigrants
- The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected President Trump's effort to end legal protections for 650,000 young immigrants, a rebuke to the president in the midst of his reelection campaign, per the AP . For now, those immigrants retain their protection from deportation and their authorization to work in the...
Court Looks Ready to Give
Trump Wish on Immigrants
Nov 12, 2019 2:22 PM CST
Court Looks Ready to Give Trump Wish on Immigrants
But we won't know fate of DACA for sure until the spring
- It's a big day for Dreamers—the nickname given to young US immigrants brought here illegally by their parents. The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard arguments on whether the Trump administration can end an Obama-era program that protects the immigrants from deportation and allows them to work legally. No...
Supreme Court to Take On
Trump vs. 'Dreamers'
Jun 28, 2019 10:42 AM CDT
Supreme Court to Take On Trump vs. 'Dreamers'
Decision on DACA expected by June 2020
- The Supreme Court will decide whether President Trump can end an Obama-era program shielding young immigrants from deportation. The justices' order Friday sets up high-stakes legal arguments in late fall or early winter, with a decision likely by June 2020 as Trump seeks re-election, reports the AP . Trump ordered an...
More Bad News for Trump
on His DACA Decision
Nov 8, 2018 3:33 PM CST
More Bad News for Trump on His DACA Decision
Appeals court rules against president
- A US appeals court ruled Thursday that President Donald Trump cannot immediately end an Obama-era program shielding young immigrants from deportation. A three-judge panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously kept in place a preliminary injunction blocking Trump's decision to phase out the Deferred Action for...
Judge Orders DACA
Program to Be Restarted
Aug 4, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Judge Orders DACA Program to Be Restarted
Judge John Bates says DHS 'inadequately explained' rationale for ending program
- Back in April, US District Judge John Bates gave the Trump administration 90 days to provide some kind of rationale for why the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, aka DACA, was unlawful, which is what the Department of Homeland Security claimed when the program was officially rescinded in...
Texas, 6 Other States Sue to
End DACA Once and for All
May 1, 2018 7:25 PM CDT
Texas, 6 Other States Sue to End DACA Once and for All
They want to see end to 'Dreamers' program
- Texas and six other states are suing to end once and for all a program that would protect some young immigrants from deportation, the AP reports. The lawsuit announced Tuesday comes a week after a federal judge in Washington ordered the Trump administration to resume the Deferred Action for Childhood...
to Restart DACA
Apr 25, 2018 12:51 AM CDT
Judge Orders Government to Restart DACA
He says decison to end program was unlawful
- A federal judge ruled Tuesday against the Trump administration's decision to end a program protecting some young immigrants from deportation, calling the Department of Homeland Security's rationale against the program "arbitrary and capricious." US District Judge John D. Bates in Washington wrote that the decision to...
Supreme Court Rejects
Trump Request on Dreamers
Feb 26, 2018 9:06 AM CST
Supreme Court Rejects Trump Request on Dreamers
Justices won't intervene quickly, suggesting program may continue after deadline
- Some good news for "Dreamers," though it could prove temporary: The Supreme Court has rejected the Trump administration's highly unusual bid to get the justices to intervene in the controversy over protections for hundreds of thousands of young immigrants. The justices on Monday refused to take up...
Trump Blames Democrats for
Failing to Protect Dreamers
Feb 16, 2018 1:58 PM CST
Trump Blames Democrats for Failing to Protect Dreamers
But he threatened to veto bipartisan bill
- Lawmakers had three chances to protect Dreamers from deportation in the form of three separate bills voted on by the Senate on Thursday. None passed , and President Trump laid the blame on Democrats on Friday, the Hill reports. "Cannot believe how BADLY DACA recipients have been treated by the...
Bipartisan Immigration Bill for
Dreamers Falls 6 Votes Short
Feb 15, 2018 5:24 PM CST
Bipartisan Immigration Bill for Dreamers Falls 6 Votes Short
Meanwhile, Trump-supported rival bill tanks
- The Senate voted on four immigration bills Thursday, Reuters reports. All four failed, leaving hundreds of thousands of Dreamers to once again fear deportation. The toughest loss was a bipartisan bill written by eight Republicans, seven Democrats, and an Independent, which fell just six votes short of passing, according to...
Pelosi's Speech for Dreamers
Breaks 109-Year-Old Record
Feb 7, 2018 6:36 PM CST
Pelosi's Speech for Dreamers Breaks 109-Year-Old Record
House Minority leader spoke for over 8 hours
- Nancy Pelosi staged a record-breaking, eight-hour speech Wednesday in an attempt to force a House vote on protections for the "Dreamer" immigrants—and to prove to an increasingly angry wing of progressives and activists that she has done all she could, the AP reports. Wearing four-inch heels and forgoing...
Dad of 2 Who's Too Old for
DACA Protection Is Deported
Jan 16, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Dad of 2 Who's Too Old for DACA Protection Is Deported
39-year-old landscaper Jorge Garcia came to the US when he was 10
- Jorge Garcia has lived in the US since he was 10, has paid all his taxes since he first got a job, and doesn't even have so much as a traffic ticket to his name, his supporters say—but on Martin Luther King Day, the 39-year-old landscaper and father...
Under Court Order, Taking
DACA Renewals Again
Jan 14, 2018 5:33 AM CST
Trump Administration, Under Court Order, Taking DACA Renewals Again
But won't be accepting new applications
- Citizenship and Immigration Services says it's resumed accepting requests to renew a grant of deferred action under the Obama-era program that shields from deportation young immigrants brought to the US as children and who remain in the country illegally. The decision comes four days after a federal judge, in...
$33M Bezos Donation Will
Send 1K Dreamers to College
Jan 12, 2018 12:22 PM CST
$33M Bezos Donation Will Send 1K Dreamers to College
Amazon CEO, wife make largest-ever donation to TheDream.US
- On Thursday, the White House rejected a bipartisan deal to protect Dreamers—quickly overshadowed by the racist statement allegedly made by President Trump. On Friday, Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos announced a $33 million donation to provide 1,000 scholarships to DACA youth, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to the...
Judge Blocks Trump's
Decision to End DACA
Jan 10, 2018 12:44 AM CST
Judge Blocks Trump's Decision to End DACA
Feds say program is still illegal
- A federal judge on Tuesday night temporarily blocked the Trump administration's decision to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation. US District Judge William Alsup granted a request by California and other plaintiffs to prevent President Trump from ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program while their...
As Jan. 19 Budget Deadline
Approaches, 'It's a Mess'
Jan 9, 2018 10:30 AM CST
As Jan. 19 Budget Deadline Approaches, 'It's a Mess'
President Trump to meet with Republicans, Democrats Tuesday
- Simply put, "it's a mess," or so an unnamed person involved in Washington's attempt to come to an agreement on a long-term spending plan—something that has to happen by Jan. 19—tells CNN . The hangup isn't spending, but immigration, with Republican John Cornyn accusing...
Here's What Trump Wants
in Deal to Protect Dreamers
Jan 6, 2018 10:20 AM CST
Here's What Trump Wants in Deal to Protect Dreamers
$18B for a portion of his border wall, to start
- President Trump is asking for $18 billion to fund a portion of his promised border wall in exchange for allowing hundreds of thousands of Dreamers—young immigrants brought to the US illegally—to stay in the country, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to the
New York Times
, the wall...
Supreme Court Deals
Blow to DACA Defenders
Dec 9, 2017 12:53 PM CST
Supreme Court Deals Blow to DACA Defenders
Document disclosure blocked for now
- The Supreme Court on Friday blocked for now a judge's order requiring the Trump administration to disclose all emails, letters, and other documents it considered in its decision to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation, the AP reports. By a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court blocked an...
Pelosi, Schumer Bail on
Trump Meeting After Tweet
Nov 28, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Pelosi, Schumer Bail on Trump Meeting After Tweet
President said he didn't 'see a deal'
calls it a "make-or-break" meeting, and it looks like it's officially broke: Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have pulled out of a planned meeting Tuesday with President Trump that was to also be attended by Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, reports
. The five...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Adventurer's 2nd Attempt to Cross Atlantic Ends in Death
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
Flight Circles Back After Passengers Decide to Upgrade
Deception or an Oversight? 2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.