Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Egypt Just Moved the
Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
Apr 4, 2021 5:31 AM CDT
Egypt Just Moved the Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
They'll go on display at the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization
- They've been dead for centuries, but on Saturday they were on the move. NPR reports that 22 ancient Egyptian royal mummies were paraded from the nearly 120-year-old Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square to the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization. The Pharaohs' Golden Parade, as the spectacle was called,...
Apartment Collapse Kills 18
Mar 27, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Apartment Collapse Kills 18
Crews work through the rubble of 9-story building in Cairo
- A nine-story apartment building collapsed early Saturday in Cairo, killing 18 people and injuring at least 24. State newspaper Al-Ahram said that search-and-rescue workers recovered the bodies over the course of the day. Excavators could be seen digging through the debris in the el-Salam neighborhood on Saturday morning. Police cordoned...
Pastry Chef Arrested
Over Risque Cupcakes
Jan 21, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Pastry Chef Arrested Over Risque Cupcakes
Woman in Egypt in hot water after images go viral
- A female pastry chef has been arrested in Egypt for the crime of selling cupcakes decorated with penises, vaginas, and butts. The Ministry of Youth and Sports launched an investigation after photos of women eating the cupcakes at a birthday party at a Cairo sports club went viral. The chef,...
Report: 2 Dead, Hundreds
Detained in Egyptian Protests
Oct 3, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Report: 2 Dead, Hundreds Detained in Egyptian Protests
Rare demonstrations on economical grievances have erupted over the last few weeks
- Egyptian authorities have arrested hundreds of people in their effort to clamp down on a spate of small but exceptionally rare protests across the country, a global watchdog and human rights lawyers said Friday. Riot police forcibly dispersed the limited demonstrations over economic grievances that erupted across several impoverished, rural...
Airlines Abruptly Suspend
Flights to Egypt
Jul 21, 2019 6:08 AM CDT
Airlines Abruptly Suspend Flights to Egypt
British Airways and Lufthansa ground flights, with BA citing 'heightened risk of terrorism against aviation'
- British Airways and Lufthansa both said Saturday they were suspending flights to Cairo for unspecified reasons related to safety and security, reports the AP . The British carrier said it was canceling flights to the Egyptian capital for a week, amid what it calls a "heightened risk of terrorism against...
Like Zebras, But
Jul 27, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
They Looked Like Zebras, But Were Braying
Egyptian zoo accused of painting donkeys
- Either an Egyptian zoo director is lying about the animals he keeps or he doesn't know much about zebras. That's what animal experts are saying after a visitor to Cairo's International Garden park snapped photos of what appeared to be donkeys painted like zebras, per the BBC...
Cape Town Isn't
Only Big City With
Feb 12, 2018 8:57 AM CST
Cape Town Isn't Only Big City With Water Crisis
These 5 cities also are in an H20 predicament
- Cape Town's water situation is dire , but although it may soon be the first big city in the world to run out of H2O, it's not the only one nearing such a precarious position. The BBC takes a look at other major urban areas thirsting for liquid sustenance,...
Bomb Kills 25
Apr 9, 2017 6:02 AM CDT
Bomb Kills 25 Palm Sunday Worshippers
At least 71 injured in Cairo explosion targeting Christians
- A bomb exploded in a church north of Cairo that was packed with Palm Sunday worshippers, killing at least 25 people and wounding 71 others, reports the AP. The attack in the Nile Delta town of Tanta was the latest in a series of assaults on Egypt's Christian minority,...
Made in Mud of
Mar 10, 2017 10:05 AM CST
'Impressive Find' Made in Mud of Cairo Slum
Newly discovered statue may depict Ramses II
- Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered a massive statue in a Cairo slum that may be of pharaoh Ramses II, one of the country's most famous ancient rulers, reports the AP. The colossus, whose head was pulled from mud and groundwater by a bulldozer, is around 26 feet high and...
Body Found Burned,
Bruised in Egypt
Feb 4, 2016 9:22 AM CST
Missing Student's Body Found Burned, Bruised in Egypt
Body of Italian grad student shows 'signs of torture'
- The body of a missing Italian student was found with signs of torture, including multiple stab wounds and cigarette burns, by the side of a highway on the outskirts of the Egyptian capital, an investigating prosecutor told the AP on Thursday. Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old grad student, went missing in...
Chapel Found in Egypt
Apr 18, 2015 10:51 AM CDT
Pharaoh's Ancient Chapel Found in Egypt
It was built by Nectanebo I, of the last native dynasty before Alexander the Great
- Researchers have made an impressive find in Cairo: part of a chapel built by a pharaoh some 2,300 years ago, Phys.org reports. That pharaoh was King Nectanebo I, whose reign lasted from 379 to 360 BC, daijiworld.com reports. The chapel, part of a temple site in the...
Egypt to Build
Mar 16, 2015 9:31 AM CDT
Egypt to Build Shiny New $66B Capital
Reported goal is to ease congestion in Cairo—but at least one critic has his doubts
- Cairo has served as Egypt's capital for more than a millennium, but its long run may be ending: The Egyptian government announced plans Friday for a new capital right next door that would take seven years and $45 billion just for the first stage, the AP reports. Egypt's...
'Priceless' Gold Coins
Found in Record Israel Haul
Feb 18, 2015 7:10 AM CST
'Priceless' Gold Coins Found in Record Israel Haul
Israeli diving club at first thought the coins were toy versions
- Many divers search long and hard for sunken treasure, but an Israeli diving club out for a recent dive in their local harbor struck literal gold by chance: 2,000 priceless gold coins that had been sitting on the seabed for about 1,000 years, the largest stash of gold...
King Tut's Iconic Mask Breaks, 'Fix' Is Even Worse
Jan 22, 2015 11:38 AM CST
King Tut's Iconic Mask Breaks, 'Fix' Is Even Worse
Beard reportedly knocked off in cleaning mishap is shoddily reset with epoxy
- What do you do if someone accidentally damages one of the world's most famous artifacts under your charge at the Egyptian Museum? Do you a) report it to the nation's antiquities ministry to ensure it's properly repaired by specialists, or b) frantically call your husband so he...
Mob Sex Assaults
Jun 10, 2014 9:52 AM CDT
Mob Sex Assaults Mar Egypt's Inauguration
Seven men arrested after graphic video
- As crowds in Cairo's Tahrir Square yesterday celebrated the election victory of Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, things turned ugly: Mobs sexually assaulted at least five women, CNN reports. Graphic video of one attack shows a woman stripped and bloodied, facing continued attacks even as police take her to their vehicle. Seven...
29 Killed as
Jan 25, 2014 4:50 PM CST
29 Killed as Egypt Marks Revolution's Anniversary
Many celebrate, call on army chief to run for president
- The anniversary of Egypt's 2011 uprising brought a violent display of the country's furious divisions today, as giant crowds danced at government-backed rallies and security forces crushed demonstrations by rival Islamists and some secular activists. Clashes nationwide killed at least 29 protesters, health officials said. The starkly contrasting...
Cairo on Eve of
Jan 24, 2014 1:09 AM CST
Blasts Shake Cairo on Eve of Uprising Anniversary
At least 4 killed in attack on police HQ
- Three bombings hit high-profile areas around Cairo today, including a suicide car bomber who struck the city's police headquarters, killing five people in the first major attack on the Egyptian capital as insurgents step up a campaign of violence following the ouster of the Islamist president. The explosions struck...
Amid Frosty Relations,
Kerry Drops In on Egypt
Nov 3, 2013 7:24 AM CST
Amid Frosty Relations, Kerry Drops In on Egypt
Unannounced trip comes on eve of Morsi trial
- US Secretary of State John Kerry is in Egypt today on an unannounced visit that is the highest-level American trip to the country since the military booted Mohamed Morsi in July, prompting the US to yank hundreds of millions in military aid. Denying that the suspension of aid was punitive,...
Egypt Crackdown Chief
Survives Cairo Blast
Sep 6, 2013 1:15 AM CDT
Egypt Crackdown Chief Survives Cairo Blast
22 hurt in assassination attempt
- The minister who has aggressively led Egypt's crackdown on Islamists narrowly escaped assassination today when a car bomb tore through his convoy. The blast wounded 22 people and left a major Cairo boulevard strewn with debris. The assassination attempt on Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim—the first such attack since...
Egypt Death Toll
Aug 15, 2013 8:01 AM CDT
'Horrific Here': Egypt Death Toll Passes 500
More protest marches planned for today
- Egypt is bracing for yet more violence today. The Muslim Brotherhood has called for protest marches in Cairo, and hundreds already are marching in Alexandria, reports Reuters . Meanwhile, the government has raised the official death toll to 525 and the injury count to about 3,700, reports the AP , but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.