Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Walmart Pulls KKK Boots
From Online Marketplace
Jan 13, 2023 11:03 AM CST
Walmart Pulls KKK Boots From Online Marketplace
Company says 'inappropriate merchandise' was offered by third-party seller
- Walmart says it's looking into how hiking boots with the letters KKK on the tongue made it into its online marketplace. The $50 boots appeared in an online listing under the name "Harsuny Men’s Tactical Military Hiking Ankle Boot Outdoor Trekking Shoes," the Huffington Post reports....
He Spent a Decade Undercover
in the KKK, Is Speaking Out
Dec 25, 2021 3:45 PM CST
He Spent a Decade Undercover in the KKK, Is Speaking Out
Joseph Moore has been living under a new name since 2018
- For nearly 10 years, Joseph Moore lived a secret double life. At times the US Army veteran donned a white robe and hood as a hit man for the Ku Klux Klan in North Florida. He attended clandestine meetings and participated in cross burnings. He even helped plan the murder...
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of
Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Mar 3, 2021 10:55 AM CST
'It's Comical,' Woman Says of Outcome of KKK Flag Incident
Detectives reportedly brought new curtains to the neighbor, who won't be charged
- It was "horrible conduct," not criminal, and a prosecutor in Michigan is encouraging the state legislature to consider changing the law so that it would be considered criminal in the future. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Tuesday announced that her office was unable to charge a Grosse...
After Seeing Photo
Dec 14, 2020 7:20 PM CST
Campaign Condemns White Supremacist After Seeing Photo
Loeffler's aide says she didn't know who Chester Doles is, though it's happened before
- The campaigns of the Georgia Senate candidates in both parties have agreed that a photo should not have been taken last week. The photo shows a smiling Sen. Kelly Loeffler posing with Chester Doles, who has a long record of white supremacism and racial hatred. "Kelly had no idea...
Civil War Dies
Nov 12, 2020 5:05 PM CST
KKK Leader Who Wanted Civil War Dies
Tom Metzger 'engaged in a wide range of hateful activities'
- Tom Metzger, the notorious former Ku Klux Klan leader who rose to prominence in the 1980s while promoting white separatism and stoking racial violence, has died at age 82. Metzger died Nov. 4 at a skilled nursing facility in Hemet, the AP reports, of Parkinson's disease. The former grand...
In Tenn., KKK Pays 'Social
Visits' to Biden Supporters
Oct 14, 2020 8:19 AM CDT
In Tenn., KKK Pays 'Social Visits' to Biden Supporters
Business cards, vandalism have Shelbyville residents on edge
- Yards featuring signs in support of Democratic presidential and vice presidential candidates Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have been littered with Ku Klux Klan propaganda in one Tennessee town, leaving residents on edge with weeks to go before Election Day. Breana Green of Shelbyville discovered her neighbor's yard sign...
'White Pride' Billboard
Roils Small Town
Aug 15, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
'White Pride' Billboard Roils Small Town
Harrison, Arkansas debates whether the billboard should come down
- Welcome to Harrison, Arkansas, where visitors are greeted by a "White Pride" billboard—and a roiling argument about whether it should stand, CNN reports. "It's an entrance to our town, the first thing people see when they drive in is this billboard," an attorney for the...
Off for Good
Jul 31, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Twitter Kicks David Duke Off for Good
Ex-KKK leader kicked off social media platform for violating rules on 'hateful conduct'
- David Duke has lost one of his big communications platforms: The 70-year-old white supremacist and ex-Ku Klux Klan leader has been banned from Twitter for good, the AP reports. Duke was "permanently suspended for repeated violations of the Twitter rules on hateful conduct," the social media platform said...
With KKK Must Go,
Jul 14, 2020 1:53 PM CDT
Courthouse Mural With KKK Must Go, Say Lawyers
Group joins protesters in demanding its removal in Baker County, Fla.
- A group of 1,200 lawyers says it's about time a mural depicting KKK members is removed from a Florida courthouse. It symbolizes "everything a judicial system should oppose: racial discrimination, racial supremacy, terrorism and vigilantism," Mitch Stone, president of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers,...
Princeton to Pull President's
Name From Policy School
Jun 27, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Princeton to Pull President's Name From Policy School
Woodrow Wilson barred black students and spoke approvingly of the KKK
- Princeton University has announced plans to remove the name of former President Woodrow Wilson from its public policy school because of his segregationist views, reversing a decision the Ivy League school made four years ago to retain the name. University president Christopher Eisgruber said in a letter to the school...
Man Who Used KKK Hood as
Face Mask Is Off the Hook
May 12, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Man Who Used KKK Hood as Face Mask Is Off the Hook
Police say their hands are tied after supermarket incident in Santee, Calif.
- A white man pictured wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood at a supermarket near San Diego will not face charges. An investigation into the May 2 incident at the Vons in Santee didn't uncover enough evidence for police to pursue charges, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said...
He Was House-Hunting
With His Wife.
He Saw KKK
Aug 9, 2019 12:55 PM CDT
He Was House-Hunting With His Wife. He Saw KKK Memorabilia
Michigan cop suspended after potential homebuyer says he spotted Klan application, Confederate flags
- A US Army veteran house-hunting with his wife made some distressing finds in one of the Michigan homes they toured, and now a Muskegon cop has been suspended as a result. The
reports that Rob Mathis, who's black, showed up with his wife, Reyna, at the five-bedroom...
Tenn. Judge Chides Black Men
for Doing Better Job Than KKK
Jan 8, 2019 1:13 PM CST
Tenn. Judge Chides Black Men for Doing Better Job Than KKK
Montgomery County Judge Wayne Shelton's comment gets divided reaction
- It's not the first time this Tennessee judge has likened black-on-black crime to KKK violence, reports the
Clarksville Leaf Chronicle
, but it's certainly the most publicized. In a Thursday hearing in the case of Vincent Bryan Merriweather, Montgomery County Judge Wayne Shelton exclaimed that he's "sick...
Up With Him
Jul 21, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
Pitcher's Racist Tweets Catch Up With Him
'They have my back,' Brewers pitcher Josh Hader says of his teammates
- One by one, the Milwaukee Brewers filed into an auditorium at Miller Park as reliever Josh Hader offered his latest apology for years-old tweets that surfaced during the All-Star Game, the AP reports. Those racist, homophobic, social-media messages were thoughtless mistakes he made as a teenager, Hader says. He sought...
Report: Young Racists Seeking
Out 'Hipper' Groups Than KKK
Feb 21, 2018 7:33 PM CST
Report: Young Racists Seeking Out 'Hipper' Groups Than KKK
KKK membership declining despite surge in 'hate groups'
- An organization that tracks far-right extremists says the number of Ku Klux Klan chapters in the US is plummeting as a new generation of khaki-clad racists rejects hoods and robes for a "hipper" brand of hate, the AP reports. The Southern Poverty Law Center said in a report Wednesday...
Klansman Convicted in Killing
of Civil Rights Workers Dies
Jan 12, 2018 6:10 PM CST
Klansman Convicted in Killing of Civil Rights Workers Dies
Edgar Ray Killen was 92
- A KKK member responsible for the 1964 murder of three civil rights workers in Mississippi has died while serving a 60-year-sentence for manslaughter, the
reports. The Mississippi Department of Corrections tells NPR that Edgar Ray Killen died Thursday night at the age of 92. He was suffering from...
Students Pose With
With Swastika, 'KKK'
Oct 19, 2017 5:57 PM CDT
Students Pose With Pumpkins Carved With Swastika, 'KKK'
Viral photo blasted by Pa. school district as 'reprehensible'
- An eastern Pennsylvania school district is dealing with a second race-related incident in just over a week, investigating a Facebook photo showing current and former students posing with pumpkins carved with racist symbols. The pumpkins included one with a swastika, and another with the letters KKK. The photo shows four...
University of Virginia
Got Money From KKK.
Here's How It's Using It
Sep 14, 2017 6:38 PM CDT
University of Virginia Got Money From KKK. Here's How It's Using It
'I hope any remaining members of the KKK will appreciate the irony'
- In 1921, the Ku Klux Klan pledged $1,000 to the University of Virginia. That amount, in today's dollars, would be about $12,400, and with that in mind, the university is allocating an equivalent amount, $12,500, to the Charlottesville Patient Support Fund, which will be used to...
Guy's $500 Donation to
David Duke Shuts Down His Bar
Sep 4, 2017 7:49 AM CDT
Guy's $500 Donation to David Duke Shuts Down His Bar
Workers at Club Jager were enraged to find boss gave cash to former KKK honcho
- A Minneapolis bar was forced to close after it was revealed the owner donated to David Duke's 2016 Senate campaign. Outraged to learn their boss had given $500 to the ex-KKK leader, many employees at Club Jager walked off the job, reports the
. Several performers promised to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.