Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
North Korean nuclear weapon program
Stories 1 - 20 |
N. Korea: US, S. Korea
Will Pay 'Horrible Price'
Nov 1, 2022 7:44 PM CDT
N. Korea: US, S. Korea Will Pay 'Horrible Price'
Pyongyang threatens to use nukes over joint military drills
- North Korea issued a veiled threat Tuesday to use nuclear weapons to get the US and South Korea to "pay the most horrible price in history," an escalation of its fiery rhetoric targeting the ongoing large-scale military drills between its rivals. Animosities on the Korean Peninsula have been...
Kim Jong Un: Nuclear Forces
Ready for 'Actual War'
Oct 13, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un: Nuclear Forces Ready for 'Actual War'
Analysts say North Korean leader has been emboldened by Putin's rhetoric
- With Vladimir Putin warning that nuclear strikes are an option in the Ukraine war, Kim Jong Un apparently doesn't want to feel left out. The North Korean dictator warned Thursday that the country's nuclear forces have demonstrated "their full preparedness for actual war to bring the enemies...
Kim Jong Un:
North Korea Will
Never Give Up Nukes
Sep 9, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un: North Korea Will Never Give Up Nukes
Country's leader says Pyongyang needs the weapons to counter the US
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un stressed his country will never abandon the nuclear weapons it needs to counter the United States, which he accused of pushing to weaken the North’s defenses and eventually collapse his government, state media said Friday. Kim made the comments during a speech Thursday...
US, South Korea Talk
About Expanding Exercises
May 21, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
US, South Korea Talk About Expanding Exercises
Biden meets new president, who has urged closer ties
- After their presidents met Saturday in Seoul, the US and South Korea announced they might broaden their joint military exercises in the face of North Korea's aggressive nuclear missile program. South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol said the exercises are "key to our combined defense capability" during a...
Kim Jong Un
Warns of an
Apr 26, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Warns of an 'Unexpected 2nd Mission'
North Korean leader vows to speed up nukes program, to use them if provoked
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to accelerate the development of nuclear weapons and threatened to use them if provoked, in a speech he delivered at a military parade that featured powerful missiles capable of targeting the country's rivals, state media reported Tuesday. Kim's remarks suggest he'...
Kim Jong Un's
to Go Nuclear
Apr 5, 2022 12:35 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Sister Threatens to Go Nuclear
Kim Yo Jong threatens South Korea for the 2nd time this week
For the second time this week, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un berated South Korea for touting its supposed preemptive strike capabilities against the North, saying her country’s nuclear forces would annihilate the South’s conventional forces if provoked, the AP reports. In a...
UN: Cyberattacks Fund
North Korean Missiles
Feb 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
UN: Cyberattacks Fund North Korean Missiles
Millions in cryptocurrency from exchanges go toward restricted systems
- A major source of funding for North Korea's government, especially its missile program, is theft, a UN report says. The investigation found that cyberattacks have netted millions in stolen cryptocurrency, the BBC reports, from at least three cryptocurrency exchanges in North America, Europe, and Asia. The findings have been...
in a Week
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea Launches 2nd Hypersonic Missile in a Week
Pyongyang says it hit a target 621 miles away in the sea
- For the second time in less than a week, North Korea says it has launched a hypersonic missile. After launching one last Wednesday , Pyongyang said it did so again Tuesday, the BBC reports. This one "precisely hit" a target 621 miles away, the country says. The US, South Korea,...
US Has Its Answer on
North Korea Diplomacy
Mar 17, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US Has Its Answer on North Korea Diplomacy
Americans' attempt is just a 'cheap trick,' official says
- North Korea conceded Thursday that the US had attempted to establish contact between the two governments. The Biden administration sent emails and tried several ways to deliver telephone messages, even involving a third country. But the Americans' effort was nothing but a "cheap trick," a foreign ministry official...
US Awaits Reply
From North Korea
Mar 14, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
US Awaits Reply From North Korea
Nations appear to have had no contact in more than a year, administration official says
- After four years of US diplomatic efforts with North Korea going nowhere, the new administration has tried to establish a dialogue with the government of Kim Jong Un. Several attempts were made last month,
reports, including one through North Korea's UN mission in New York. A Biden...
UN Report: North Korea,
Iran Have Teamed Up
Feb 9, 2021 11:00 AM CST
UN Report: North Korea, Iran Have Teamed Up
Iran denies cooperative missile development
- North Korea is funneling millions of dollars stolen by hackers into nuclear weapons, according to a new and confidential UN report, which also points the finger at Iran. The document accuses Kim Jong Un's regime of coordinating "operations against financial institutions and virtual currency exchange houses" to pay...
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds
Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
Aug 27, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
FBI, Treasury, and other agencies say hacking scheme 'may erode confidence' in banking systems
- Hackers linked to North Korea's government are trying to rob banks around the world to fund the country's nuclear weapons programs. That's according to the FBI, the US Treasury, US Cyber Command, and Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which warned of the behavior in...
Kim Is Developing
Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Aug 5, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Kim Is Developing Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Report finds North Korea is expanding its nuclear arsenal, ballistic missile program
- UN experts say North Korea is flouting UN sanctions by expanding its nuclear arsenal and ballistic missile program and by exporting coal and illegally importing refined petroleum products in excess of its annual quota. In a report obtained Tuesday by the AP , the experts said that North Korea has also...
North Korea Promises
'Christmas Gift' for US
Dec 3, 2019 9:07 AM CST
North Korea Promises 'Christmas Gift' for US
What it is depends on US actions: official
- North Korea says the US could be in for an unpleasant Christmas gift unless denuclearization talks move forward. The veiled threat came Tuesday as Pyongyang denounced little progress in discussions with Washington, reports CNBC . Calls for a "sustained and substantial dialogue" are "nothing but a foolish trick" serving...
Calls Pompeo a
Aug 23, 2019 3:14 AM CDT
North Korea Calls Pompeo a 'Poisonous Plant'
South ends intelligence-sharing deal with Japan
- North Korea's foreign minister on Friday called US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo a "poisonous plant of American diplomacy" and vowed to "shutter the absurd dream" that sanctions will force a change in Pyongyang. The North's blistering rhetoric may dim the prospect for an early resumption...
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B
in Cyberattacks: Report
Aug 6, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B in Cyberattacks: Report
North Korea targeted banks and cryptocurrency exchanges to fund its WMD program
- North Korea has funneled $2 billion into its weapons of mass destruction programs by using cyberattacks to pilfer from banks and cryptocurrency exchanges, according to a confidential UN report seen by Reuters and CBS News . The "widespread and increasingly sophisticated" attacks carried out by actors under the direction of...
Is Brewing on
Jul 17, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
North Korea: 'Surprise Attack' Is Brewing on Border
Pyongyang says it might also end suspension of nuclear tests
- North Korea on Tuesday suggested it might call off its 20-month suspension of nuclear and missile tests because of summertime US-South Korean military drills that the North calls preparation for an eventual invasion, the AP reports. The statement by the North's Foreign Ministry comes during a general deadlock in...
Trump Heading to South Korea
to Talk About North Korea
May 15, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
Trump Heading to South Korea to Talk About North Korea
POTUS will discuss denuclearization with South Korea's leader
- President Trump will travel to South Korea in June for talks on the North Korean nuclear program, three months after a failed summit with North Korea's leader in Vietnam, the AP reports. The White House says Trump will meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in conjunction with his...
Putin Says He's Willing to
Tell Trump What Kim Said
Apr 25, 2019 7:10 AM CDT
Putin Says He's Willing to Tell Trump What Kim Said
In wake of his 'fruitful' summit with North Korean leader
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un say they have had "fruitful" talks about how to defuse a standoff over Pyongyang's nuclear program. The two leaders spoke after their one-on-one meeting Thursday as they sat down for broader negotiations involving top officials from both...
Analysts: N. Korea
Launch Site Now
Mar 8, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Analysts: N. Korea Launch Site Now Fully Restored
Trump says he is 'a little disappointed'
- US analysts say North Korea appears to have restored normal operations at a long-range rocket launch site it partially dismantled last year as part of steps toward disarmament. Some experts say North Korea is trying to convey displeasure over the breakdown of a summit last week between Kim Jong Un...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.