Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
North Korean nuclear weapon program
Stories 1 - 20 |
in a Week
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea Launches 2nd Hypersonic Missile in a Week
Pyongyang says it hit a target 621 miles away in the sea
- For the second time in less than a week, North Korea says it has launched a hypersonic missile. After launching one last Wednesday , Pyongyang said it did so again Tuesday, the BBC reports. This one "precisely hit" a target 621 miles away, the country says. The US, South Korea,...
US Has Its Answer on
North Korea Diplomacy
Mar 17, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US Has Its Answer on North Korea Diplomacy
Americans' attempt is just a 'cheap trick,' official says
- North Korea conceded Thursday that the US had attempted to establish contact between the two governments. The Biden administration sent emails and tried several ways to deliver telephone messages, even involving a third country. But the Americans' effort was nothing but a "cheap trick," a foreign ministry official...
US Awaits Reply
From North Korea
Mar 14, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
US Awaits Reply From North Korea
Nations appear to have had no contact in more than a year, administration official says
- After four years of US diplomatic efforts with North Korea going nowhere, the new administration has tried to establish a dialogue with the government of Kim Jong Un. Several attempts were made last month,
reports, including one through North Korea's UN mission in New York. A Biden...
UN Report: North Korea,
Iran Have Teamed Up
Feb 9, 2021 11:00 AM CST
UN Report: North Korea, Iran Have Teamed Up
Iran denies cooperative missile development
- North Korea is funneling millions of dollars stolen by hackers into nuclear weapons, according to a new and confidential UN report, which also points the finger at Iran. The document accuses Kim Jong Un's regime of coordinating "operations against financial institutions and virtual currency exchange houses" to pay...
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds
Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
Aug 27, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
US Agencies: N. Korea Funds Nukes With 'Bank Robbery'
FBI, Treasury, and other agencies say hacking scheme 'may erode confidence' in banking systems
- Hackers linked to North Korea's government are trying to rob banks around the world to fund the country's nuclear weapons programs. That's according to the FBI, the US Treasury, US Cyber Command, and Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which warned of the behavior in...
Kim Is Developing
Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Aug 5, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Kim Is Developing Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Report finds North Korea is expanding its nuclear arsenal, ballistic missile program
- UN experts say North Korea is flouting UN sanctions by expanding its nuclear arsenal and ballistic missile program and by exporting coal and illegally importing refined petroleum products in excess of its annual quota. In a report obtained Tuesday by the AP , the experts said that North Korea has also...
North Korea Promises
'Christmas Gift' for US
Dec 3, 2019 9:07 AM CST
North Korea Promises 'Christmas Gift' for US
What it is depends on US actions: official
- North Korea says the US could be in for an unpleasant Christmas gift unless denuclearization talks move forward. The veiled threat came Tuesday as Pyongyang denounced little progress in discussions with Washington, reports CNBC . Calls for a "sustained and substantial dialogue" are "nothing but a foolish trick" serving...
Calls Pompeo a
Aug 23, 2019 3:14 AM CDT
North Korea Calls Pompeo a 'Poisonous Plant'
South ends intelligence-sharing deal with Japan
- North Korea's foreign minister on Friday called US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo a "poisonous plant of American diplomacy" and vowed to "shutter the absurd dream" that sanctions will force a change in Pyongyang. The North's blistering rhetoric may dim the prospect for an early resumption...
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B
in Cyberattacks: Report
Aug 6, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B in Cyberattacks: Report
North Korea targeted banks and cryptocurrency exchanges to fund its WMD program
- North Korea has funneled $2 billion into its weapons of mass destruction programs by using cyberattacks to pilfer from banks and cryptocurrency exchanges, according to a confidential UN report seen by Reuters and CBS News . The "widespread and increasingly sophisticated" attacks carried out by actors under the direction of...
Is Brewing on
Jul 17, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
North Korea: 'Surprise Attack' Is Brewing on Border
Pyongyang says it might also end suspension of nuclear tests
- North Korea on Tuesday suggested it might call off its 20-month suspension of nuclear and missile tests because of summertime US-South Korean military drills that the North calls preparation for an eventual invasion, the AP reports. The statement by the North's Foreign Ministry comes during a general deadlock in...
Trump Heading to South Korea
to Talk About North Korea
May 15, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
Trump Heading to South Korea to Talk About North Korea
POTUS will discuss denuclearization with South Korea's leader
- President Trump will travel to South Korea in June for talks on the North Korean nuclear program, three months after a failed summit with North Korea's leader in Vietnam, the AP reports. The White House says Trump will meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in conjunction with his...
Putin Says He's Willing to
Tell Trump What Kim Said
Apr 25, 2019 7:10 AM CDT
Putin Says He's Willing to Tell Trump What Kim Said
In wake of his 'fruitful' summit with North Korean leader
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un say they have had "fruitful" talks about how to defuse a standoff over Pyongyang's nuclear program. The two leaders spoke after their one-on-one meeting Thursday as they sat down for broader negotiations involving top officials from both...
Analysts: N. Korea
Launch Site Now
Mar 8, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Analysts: N. Korea Launch Site Now Fully Restored
Trump says he is 'a little disappointed'
- US analysts say North Korea appears to have restored normal operations at a long-range rocket launch site it partially dismantled last year as part of steps toward disarmament. Some experts say North Korea is trying to convey displeasure over the breakdown of a summit last week between Kim Jong Un...
Analysts: North Korea
Is Rebuilding Launch Site
Mar 6, 2019 2:02 AM CST
Analysts: North Korea Is Rebuilding Launch Site
Work is 'consistent with preparations for a test'
- North Korea has been rapidly rebuilding a rocket launch site it promised to dismantle last year, analysts say. Experts at the Beyond Parallel group say images from Saturday show that activity at the Sohae site, which has been used for satellite launches and missile engine testing, is "consistent with...
Trump-Kim Summit Collapses
Feb 28, 2019 6:41 AM CST
Trump-Kim Summit Collapses
'Sometimes you have to walk'
- "Sometimes you have to walk, and this was just one of those times," President Trump said Thursday after his second summit with Kim Jong Un abruptly collapsed. A working lunch and the signing of a joint agreement were scrapped after talks fell apart on the summit's second...
North Korea Nuke Test
More Than a Year Later
Jan 2, 2019 6:37 PM CST
North Korea Nuke Test Triggers Earthquake More Than a Year Later
The magnitude 2.8 tremblor struck Wednesday
- A small earthquake in North Korea on Wednesday was caused by a nuclear test that country conducted more than a year ago, CNN reports. The September 2017 test—the country’s sixth and most powerful—caused an initial magnitude 6.3 quake, per phys.org , followed by a magnitude 4...
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not
According to These Images
Dec 6, 2018 9:50 AM CST
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not According to These Images
Satellite pics shows possible new missile site near border with China
- People lie, satellite images don't—hence why the US and South Korea are closely monitoring a new suspected missile site near North Korea's central border with China. The facility in Hoejung-ni, "one of the most likely sites for deploying intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United...
in N. Korea
Oct 7, 2018 5:38 AM CDT
Pompeo: 'Very Successful Morning' in N. Korea
Secretary of state's latest visit apparently went much better than the last one
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has wrapped up his fourth visit to North Korea after meeting Kim Jong Un to seek elusive progress in efforts to persuade him to give up his nuclear weapons. The two men met for about two hours before having lunch on Sunday, reports the
North Korea Slams US:
Your Policy Is 'a Pipe Dream'
Sep 29, 2018 2:33 PM CDT
North Korea Slams US: Your Policy Is 'a Pipe Dream'
North Korean foreign minister speaks at the UN
- North Korea needs more trust in the US and their developing relationship before it will get rid of its nuclear weapons, Pyongyang's top diplomat said Saturday as an envoy from another of the international community's biggest worries—Syria—demanded that the US, France, and Turkey withdraw their troops...
Korean Leaders Pose
on Peak of Sacred Volcano
Sep 20, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Korean Leaders Pose on Peak of Sacred Volcano
Moon flies home after 3-day summit
- The leaders of the rival Koreas took to the road for the final day of their summit Thursday, standing on the peak of a beautiful volcano considered sacred in the North and a centerpiece of propaganda used to legitimize the Kim family's rule, their hands clasped and raised in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
Police Surround Synagogue Where Hostages Are Held
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.